PDA

View Full Version : Style and business...

jra
19th of February 2011 (Sat), 08:54
Hopefully an interesting discussion topic :)

I'm just curious about other photographers view point when it comes to photographic style and business. Some photographers chase the latest "fad" when it comes to style. From season to season, their photos tend to have completely different looks and PP techniques applied to keep up with what's hot. On the other hand, some photographers have a particular style they stick with and develop through the years. With these photographers, you can often tell their work before you even see who created it (or, it's actually easier to know what isn't their work).
From a business perspective, what's the better choice? I doubt that there's any real clear cut answer to this question and it probably depends heavily on the market (for instance, it may be easier to sell to high school seniors if you're the latest fad but not so in real estate), but I would love to hear your opinions as well as how you tend to approach your work. So....latest fad or well defined style :)

TopHatMoments
19th of February 2011 (Sat), 11:55
Family Portriature, headshots, maternity, Weddings (for the most part), Prom's, Military, reunions- 99.9% of the time classical style, well my version of it anyway.

Seniors, children- I find a mix is needed. Parents want timeless classical ( again my version )
The young adults and children over the age of 3 or 4, want something current. Something to match their intreats of the moment. I do the My Style Clasical first and then tweak into the current.. ( within reason )

Young adults will nag there parents about where they want there senior portraits taken. By shooting the classical then mixing there curent into it both sides are happy and it shows in there face.

Keeping the clients happy and smiling, keeps my wallet happy.

I like what I do, it's fun but, to say I don't do it for the money would be HorseMud

Gary_Evans
19th of February 2011 (Sat), 16:25
Some photographers chase the latest "fad" when it comes to style. From season to season, their photos tend to have completely different looks and PP techniques applied to keep up with what's hot.

In my experience those that are chasing never really get there, because by the time they have mastered that trend its out of date and everyone is buying the next trend.

Photographers who are really succesful develop their own style and broadly tend to stay with it, other than a few tweaks here and there.

After all, control of light, correct lens choice and good posing will never go out of fashion will it?

RDKirk
21st of February 2011 (Mon), 08:46
In my experience those that are chasing never really get there, because by the time they have mastered that trend its out of date and everyone is buying the next trend.

Photographers who are really succesful develop their own style and broadly tend to stay with it, other than a few tweaks here and there.

After all, control of light, correct lens choice and good posing will never go out of fashion will it?

I agree with this.

While TopHat is correct that kids follow fads, he's also equally correct that following the fad isn't where the real money comes from. When I do seniors, I'll do both the "hot" thing and then more work that is in line with my true style. The kids will get some wallets and other cheap stuff in the fad, the mothers will buy lucrative wall portraits in my traditional style.

In the long run, it's the classical work that stays on the wall for two or three generations.