PDA

View Full Version : Loose front ring on the s95?

elogical
13th of March 2011 (Sun), 14:15
My month old s95 has recently loosened up in the front function "ring" control. Not to the point where it's a problem yet, but it has a visible wiggle in it and I can hear it rattle a tiny bit if I shake the camera. I don't want to get worked up over nothing, but when I got the camera it was much tighter fitting and didn't have any play in it at all.

Is this normal? how are others holding up? Like I sad, it's not very bad at all at this point, but it's a little concerning when I didn't drop the the camera or abuse it or anything, I'm just hoping it's not gonna be one of those things that loosens up further or gets worse over time, if this is as bad as it gets, I'll have no complaints at all. I do have to add that I'm quite impressed with the build quality overall.

eyalg
13th of March 2011 (Sun), 14:45
That doesn't sound very good.
My S90's ring is tight as it was when I took it out from its box.
I would get it serviced, instead of worrying whether it will get any worse.

MOkoFOko
13th of March 2011 (Sun), 17:38
^^^ I agree--get it fixed by canon if it's still under warranty. Mine is still tight with no play in the ring.

elogical
13th of March 2011 (Sun), 18:15
thanks for the advice, I might need to call canon tomorrow and see what they say.

It's honestly not that bad, but it still worries me a little just because there was no play whatsoever for the first few weeks.

MOkoFOko
15th of March 2011 (Tue), 02:34
thanks for the advice, I might need to call canon tomorrow and see what they say.

It's honestly not that bad, but it still worries me a little just because there was no play whatsoever for the first few weeks.

I can already tell you that they'll ask you to send it to them for an estimate. That's just how they work.

If it's not under warranty (no receipt or warranty card), I wouldn't worry about it--just use it until it stops functioning properly. If it is under warranty, I would definitely get it taken care of for what amounts to a $12 shipping cost.

marioS95
10th of July 2011 (Sun), 13:09
My month old s95 has recently loosened up in the front function "ring" control. Not to the point where it's a problem yet [...]

Hi, I face the same thing: the front ring of my S95 got loosened in one month. At the moment just unpleasant but who knows what happens in the future. Did you send it to the canon service? What did they say? Thank you for your attention.

snatiep
11th of July 2011 (Mon), 08:24
Hmmm.....I just received a refurbished S95 directly from Canon and the front control ring on mine is also a bit loose.

Maybe I better send mine in for warranty work before the 90 days is up?

elogical
11th of July 2011 (Mon), 09:41
I ended up not sending mine in because it's really not that bad at all and hasn't gotten any worse. I got it new though so I still have a while on the warranty if I change my mind.

I've been meaning to get into a store that carries them though so I have something to compare with, cause I'm afraid I was just being picky. The best way I can describe mine is that it's not really visible movement if I look at the ring but it's enough to make a slight "rattling" noise if I shake the camera a little.

snatiep
11th of July 2011 (Mon), 10:35
I did check out a S95 at Best Buy a few weeks ago checking for this very issue. The front control wheel on their S95 was noticeably tighter than mine. In fact I don't remember it "rattling" at all.

Jon
11th of July 2011 (Mon), 10:38
I ended up not sending mine in because it's really not that bad at all and hasn't gotten any worse. I got it new though so I still have a while on the warranty if I change my mind.

I've been meaning to get into a store that carries them though so I have something to compare with, cause I'm afraid I was just being picky. The best way I can describe mine is that it's not really visible movement if I look at the ring but it's enough to make a slight "rattling" noise if I shake the camera a little.Sure what you're experiencing isn't the IS mechanism then? IS is achieved by a "floating" set of lens elements.

elogical
11th of July 2011 (Mon), 16:01
Sure what you're experiencing isn't the IS mechanism then? IS is achieved by a "floating" set of lens elements.

whoa, thanks, that's a good point, I didn't think about. I should have known cause I can hear the IS make noise in my slr lenses.

I tried holding the wheel in place while I rattle the camera (not too hard, I'm not trying to break it here) and there was still a little noise from the IS. The front wheel moving still makes a little bit of extra noise but it's not quite as much as I thought, some of it is the IS just like you said.

I'll try to make it into best buy and see how mine compares I guess

marioS95
13th of July 2011 (Wed), 16:10
Hi All, thanks for your considerations. I'll pay as well a visit to a store to compare the front rings. Mine does not rattle, but by sure it is not as tight as the ring of an old reflex. Maybe it is just that the point: I expected such a tighness and I found something cheaper.