PDA

View Full Version : Canon patents 42x zoom lense

cruiser78
16th of March 2011 (Wed), 19:15
Found this on www.CanonRumors.com (Canon Rumors).
Canon patents a 42x zoom lense! http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/03/canon-patents-42x-zoom-lens/

tkbslc
17th of March 2011 (Thu), 02:37
I'm sure that is sharp and CA free throughout!

IMO, once they crossed about 10x, the IQ in these superzooms started a downward spiral.

msowsun
18th of March 2011 (Fri), 01:34
I believe that works out to about a 24mm-1000mm equivalent for a P&S. (4.36-180mm)

paul79uf
10th of April 2011 (Sun), 22:53
Do you think that lens could end up in the possibly upcoming "SX40"?

My S5 just got submerged in a river today and I'm hoping for a better replacement than the SX30.

cruiser78
10th of April 2011 (Sun), 22:56
Do you think that lens could end up in the possibly upcoming "SX40"?

My S5 just got submerged in a river today and I'm hoping for a better replacement than the SX30.

I would speculate that but you never know. I was waiting out for the SX30 replacement to see if it would have a CMOS sensor but I did that all last summer too so I bit the bullet for now and bought the SX30 but will sell it if the next SX camera that gets released looks enticing enough. Personally I think the 35x zoom of the SX30 is lots and hopefully if they do put out a camera with 42x lens it will still give good images on the long end.

exwintech
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 02:29
Cruiser78 - Well, that shoots-down my idea - in another thread - that the coming SX40 would merely have a short little 40x zoom....

However - did you bypass the other articles - those that explain the New-New 10-stop IS - and how they actually fit the at-least 1.5-metre tripod into the case - the New Canon Micro-Inflatable model....?

My now "old-classic" 30x HS10 gets hysterical about lens movements over 0.1-nanometer at full zoom - so those "extra articles" about how the "SX40-ahem" is being "stabilised", will be extremely interesting.... :cool:

Dave.

MOkoFOko
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 03:41
Nuts, I want a 42x zoom EF lens :D

Jon
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 08:44
If they've only just gotten the patent, I wouldn't expect to see the lens offered for a few more years. They'll have to start designing a camera (and the lens-grinding equipment) around it before they can sell one. There are older patents they've been issued that we still haven't seen implemented as commercially-available products.

cruiser78
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 11:16
If they've only just gotten the patent, I wouldn't expect to see the lens offered for a few more years. They'll have to start designing a camera (and the lens-grinding equipment) around it before they can sell one. There are older patents they've been issued that we still haven't seen implemented as commercially-available products.

That's a good point.

exwintech
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 15:26
Jon - You have experience "in the business" - so just where do you think this is going - or rather, how far "can" it go?

We now have existing Bridge-Zooms at 30x, 35x, and 36x. And if Canon doesn't "spring" its 40x+ device on us shortly - in the current trend - some Maker will.... And a "50x+ outline" must at least be on some trend-advertising enslaved designer's board.

Lens / sensor technology isn't the only factor in this - however "advanced" and expensive (very expensive here in Sydney) - Bridge-Zooms become, they're still going to be aimed at, and used by - the keener end of the P&S User range.

Folk who are rather unlikely to be toting an ultra-rigid-stable $500.00 DSLR tripod along on their photo outings. They might, like me, have a light tripod - I have a Slik F740 - in their backpack. But that, while pretty good value for the money, and rated for several times the weight of a Fuji HS10 - is still marginal on a windy day.

The problem isn't that a Fujinon - or Canon or Nikon - Bridge-Zoom lens "can't" take good (for P&S sensor size) - images... They're all able to do so - and some let you play with RAWs if you want to.

The problem is, at anywhere near full zoom, in these 720-840mm+ cameras, keeping the darned things steady enough to do so. That's a lot of "equiv zoom" for a lens joined to a light camera body, to begin with. The Makers obviously do their best to design-in anti-shake functions.

And yes, you can put them on a tripod. At anything over 20x zoom, or not much more, my HS10 tends to "live on a tripod". Hence the backpack totable little F740. Sure, at shorter zoom levels the camera is quite manageable - just that as a casual walk-around camera my 20x SX10 does it better. So I carry that in hand to use - as I'm back-packing the HS10 and tripod - which gets set-up at the desired scenes-birds-etc location.

But I've found that, even using Timer and tripod - at full or close to that, zoom - even the tiniest movement of the camera is the difference between a keeper and a delete. So - along with the timer, I use the 7 or 5 fps continuous, or as RAWs are rather more adjustable - the 5 or 3 fps RAW + JPEG.

And in even the slightest breeze - the differences between the 7 images that can be recorded, are quite visible.

This isn't "just a Fuji fault" - there are SX30 full or near full zoom images on this Forum, that show the same thing. Done by persons whose work I've been admiring for a long time - and whom I "know" can do excellent, sharp, P&S images at a lesser zoom - or with, say, an SX10 or SX20.

So there's a human / user angle to this Makers' Mad Urge Trend to longer and longer zooms in the Bridge cameras. Sure - I might be a little doddery with the handheld at over 60, with disability - hence the light tripod... But it isn't just me - it's younger people - folk whose images I've seen over years, some also with earlier cameras, and know to be rather better with a camera than am I - it's also affecting.

So is there a limit to the More-and-More-Zoom trend - or will there be some sort of "stabilising breakthrough"...?

I'm starting to think - while the technology is of course always improving due to market competition - who's going to "step-back" to about 24-25x - and use all the latest tech on that...?

Dare we imagine the SX10 Mk2 - 24x zoom - kept to 10Mpix, or at most 12Mpix - on a BSI-CMOS sensor - RAW and Superfine JPEG... 10-7-5-3fps JPEG - up to 5fps RAW and RAW+JPEG - yes, toss-in Std HD video, if really necessary - but keep it all just as neat, nifty, competent and easy to use to get great images, as our beloved, now "Classic" - SX10s...

Maybe..., crazy or dreaming - but try and tell me it wouldn't be not only very possible - but also very nice.... :cool:

Dave.

Jon
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 18:22
Well, I think there is more to a long zoom range than just the zoom. As we see Canon (and others) improving IS, and ISO performance, I think we'll see some "magic" come along. As you say, the optics is the easy part. But patenting it stakes some kind of claim to the turf. It's setting your flag on Everest, the Moon or Mars. You may not plan to live there right away, but you were, By Godfrey, there FIRST. And that's going to have some kind of impact, albeit subliminal.