PDA

View Full Version : Finding clients for pet photography

alexdesign
10th of April 2011 (Sun), 05:17
I am new here. I am not a professional and haven't had a professional training. I've done pictures of my 2 dogs and when my husband showed my shots to his co-worker without telling her who was the photographer. First thing she thought that we've taken pictures at professional studio.

How do you go about finding clients to shoot their dogs/cats? My local vet (where I take my dogs to) already has huge portraits of dogs hanging in his reception area by some local photographer.

Where else can I find new business?
Thanks

conbu19
11th of April 2011 (Mon), 15:32
First things first, look through some of the animal photos posted by fellow POTN members, some of whom ARE world renowned photographers,look at the photos, read any description given about the taking of the photos, then try your best to emulate those shots, then post your pictures after you give them a very critical look yourself for Focus, Exposure and Composition...when you get to the point where you are sure your photos are magazine quality....you can start looking for people to pay you for your pictures...Good Luck! Steve B.

stayhumble
20th of May 2011 (Fri), 14:22
honestly save yourself the trouble. you still have lots to learn judging from your pictures. Whether or not you have the "eye" for it. we all have the eye, but paid clients expect much more.

theres a lot to photography youll learn on here. you have to be your biggest critique and also learn people will ALWAYS compliment your pictures, no matter how ugly. the best compliments are those that dont find your work aesthetically pleasing

Juneb
17th of June 2011 (Fri), 18:52
even a newbe can do a good job. I had a small photo business from my home and was never trained, just was a member of a photo club locally. I did not make a living doing it but did pay for my photo habit. (shooting film at the time) A bit of catalog work, local ball teams and dance teams. Don't be intimidated by the challenge. Just go for it. At least now you don't have to pay for film and developing...

focus.pocus
17th of June 2011 (Fri), 19:17
don't listen to the naysayers... give it a go and advertise on craigs list and local free mutimedia papers... I assume you have ths where you live... that's the way I started out and I make a very good living at it by chrging less than the overpaid oversized ego photgraphers in this town... : )

fotocrazed3
18th of June 2011 (Sat), 09:15
I am new here. I am not a professional and haven't had a professional training. I've done pictures of my 2 dogs and when my husband showed my shots to his co-worker without telling her who was the photographer. First thing she thought that we've taken pictures at professional studio.

How do you go about finding clients to shoot their dogs/cats? My local vet (where I take my dogs to) already has huge portraits of dogs hanging in his reception area by some local photographer.

Where else can I find new business?
Thanks

I know this is off subject, although I love photography my Italian Greyhound, I am a BIG dog lover, how the heck do I post some of my work here? Thanks in advance for your help!

fotocrazed3
18th of June 2011 (Sat), 09:18
First things first, look through some of the animal photos posted by fellow POTN members, some of whom ARE world renowned photographers,look at the photos, read any description given about the taking of the photos, then try your best to emulate those shots, then post your pictures after you give them a very critical look yourself for Focus, Exposure and Composition...when you get to the point where you are sure your photos are magazine quality....you can start looking for people to pay you for your pictures...Good Luck! Steve B.

I am new to this awesome site, may I ask you how do I post some of my work? The work I have seen here so far is absolutly incredible by the way!!!!! Thanks in advance!

johneo
27th of June 2011 (Mon), 22:31
Back in the late '90's my wife taught a training class for dogs for a friend that owned a dog training facility. One of the local rescue shelters asked if there was anyway this training facility could do a charity to help raise funds. The first year, a very nice lady stepped up, shot film and did a great job but the amount of funds was small due to her costs (I "think" she also charged a fee for her services). The following year the owner asked if I would (and could) do it as she knew I had just bought a digital camera. I was more than happy to help, for free!

We developed into "Photos With Santa" and while it was pet oriented, we had a LOT of people show up without pets and just kids. Still, we raised a lot of money! Think I did that for about 6 years.

That first time, photography for me was just something to do and even though I always enjoyed photography it was just a casual hobby. One of my main reasons for getting my first dSLR (Canon 10D) was for this yearly event. As I said, it was a hobby and that was all I wanted it to be but I got a LOT of requests to go shoot pets at their homes. Refused all of them (why? Didn't have the confidence and my "real" job was 10+ hours per day most of the time) It did get me a wedding gig after a while.

Go to a local shelter or dog training facility in your area. Even a pet store, and toss that idea to them. You'll be doing a good thing and you will be showcasing your services and talent. Just hand out a brochure to everybody of what you offer and what are your prices. Display some of your shots at a registration table.

The hard part will be getting someone to play Santa and all the props for the shoot but those aren't that expensive and are reusable.