PDA

View Full Version : All Hail The S95

DonJuanMair
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 00:08
So check this out, my gf took the S95 for a lil spin while we we bbq'ing and took this shot

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/5792738860_e70f4f4893_o.jpg

i edited it for her and then submitted it to Vegas Seven Magazine for a vegas moment and bam!

http://c0013799.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_6639f9c

Anke
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 00:11
Impressive! Congrats too :)

N/A
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 00:45
I'll bet that was a thrill for her (and you). Very cool!

junco79
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 01:30
beautiful!!

JennB
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 01:45
Wow! Very impressive. Congratulations! :)

A5forfighting
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 02:48
Nice shot !!
Love my S95

Wowsers
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 04:22
Nice picture but one thing bothers me.

On the exif it states that it was taken on May 28. We are now June 3rd and your picture has already made it to the publication of a magazine? Please explain.:rolleyes:

UncleBuck88
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 06:53
Nice pic! Love it!! Proves one thing I always say, it's the photographer, not the camera. (and sometimes it's not the photographer, it's his / her wife, gf, spouse, significant other, etc, LOL!!). One of my favorite pics of my daughter is a snapshot my wife took with our old A570 one 4th of July. Looks like a magazine shot!

Nice picture but one thing bothers me.

On the exif it states that it was taken on May 28. We are now June 3rd and your picture has already made it to the publication of a magazine? Please explain.:rolleyes:

One possibility . . . not entirely correct exif data (clock on the camera not set correctly possibly??) . . . the time is 4:58:37 am on it. Obviously the pic wasn't taken at about 5:00 in the morning (not that I would have even looked had it not been mentioned). It does, in fact show that it was taken with an S95. And besides, based on Anthony's website (nice work BTW there Anthony!!), I would guess he has a few connections with the publishers there in Vegas anyway, LOL!! Plus "Vegas Seven" is a weekly rag . . . so yeah, it's entirely possible that was taken last weekend and it's in the magazine now (or will be this weekend . . . he didn't say it was in the racks yet). It doesn't take long to get it to printing once the images are determined. I've done freelance for local magazines, worked in a university's PR department (and done alumni magazines), and that was all back in the days of film. And my parents owned a printing business for 11 years while I was in HS and college. The media business moves fast. One of my friends from college works at the Houston Chronicle here in Houston. His images are in the paper the next day!! Nothing incomprehensible about that . . . just sayin!!

Anthony, tell your gf to keep up the good work . . . . oh, and you too, :lol::lol::lol:

Buck

UncleBuck88
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 07:46
And, with just a very little more research . . . view the image itself on page 12 and 13 of the current (June 2-8, 2011) digital edition of the 'Vegas Seven' magazine:

http://www.digitaleditiononline.com/publication/?i=71623

The caption states:

"On a windswept Memorial Day weekend, at the end of a long and blustery spring, . . . . "

That, the exif date of May 28th, the fact that there are plenty of Anthony's own images in the magazine as well, and the fact that the exif data does in fact state that it was taken with an S95 . . . . all adds up for me!! Did I say . . . . . just sayin?? ;)

Buck

starlights
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 07:55
Congrats Don! :) Cool Image.

DonJuanMair
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 09:52
thanks all for the comments!
I don't know what the doubt is with the picture and the rolls eyes smily face. She took the pic on Sat we go to print on Tuesdays for shelves on Thursdays. Its a weekly. Its a no brainer. :)

ni$mo350
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 10:03
Now let's see the same shot taken with the 5dii and 17-40L ;) j/k congrats!

UncleBuck88
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 10:40
thanks all for the comments!
I don't know what the doubt is with the picture and the rolls eyes smily face. She took the pic on Sat we go to print on Tuesdays for shelves on Thursdays. Its a weekly. Its a no brainer. :)

Ah, go a little light on 'em. If you've never been around the publishing / printing / mass media industry, you might not realize how fast things move in it. I've been around it (been published several times), have friends that are still in it daily, and part of my degree is in mass media. In this day and age something that happened yesterday is old news tomorrow. And print media has had to get faster and faster over the last few years to compete! And weeklies like that have always had to move at lightning fast speeds. Knowing that, personally, even if I had thought to look at the exif data (which I wouldn't have . . . . I hardly ever look at my own, let alone anyone else's), it wouldn't have thrown up any red flags for me. I didn't necessarily think the question was weird, just the implication that something was fishy. But hey, no harm no foul right??!!

Like I said, high five to the GF, maybe she'll give you a run for your money someday (or is she already a photog as well?). :)

Buck

powerslave
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 10:51
Great going! Nice shot.

I recently carried it to a music fest and took so many great shots at ISO1600 and ISO3200 that rival the noise off my XTi. I can't even begin to describe how much I love my camera.

joonrhee
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 11:10
Hey congrats!! I guess it's not only you who could take nice shots, eh? :D

MikeFairbanks
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 11:14
I'm impressed. Your shots with the s95 are always amazing, and this one is nice too.

Got any of Hoover dam?

DonJuanMair
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 13:12
Ah, go a little light on 'em. If you've never been around the publishing / printing / mass media industry, you might not realize how fast things move in it. I've been around it (been published several times), have friends that are still in it daily, and part of my degree is in mass media. In this day and age something that happened yesterday is old news tomorrow. And print media has had to get faster and faster over the last few years to compete! And weeklies like that have always had to move at lightning fast speeds. Knowing that, personally, even if I had thought to look at the exif data (which I wouldn't have . . . . I hardly ever look at my own, let alone anyone else's), it wouldn't have thrown up any red flags for me. I didn't necessarily think the question was weird, just the implication that something was fishy. But hey, no harm no foul right??!!

Like I said, high five to the GF, maybe she'll give you a run for your money someday (or is she already a photog as well?). :)

Buck

ha youre right Buck. It is crazy how fast we turn stuff around in a weekly. Shes into fashion design and is going to school for that but since we have known each other she has gotten into taking pics but nothing serious.

Great going! Nice shot.

I recently carried it to a music fest and took so many great shots at ISO1600 and ISO3200 that rival the noise off my XTi. I can't even begin to describe how much I love my camera.

its such a great little camera even at high isos youre right. Thank you!

Hey congrats!! I guess it's not only you who could take nice shots, eh? :D

lol i know :)

I'm impressed. Your shots with the s95 are always amazing, and this one is nice too.

Got any of Hoover dam?

maybe ill take a little trip out there and get some! thanks btw!

MikeFairbanks
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 14:43
I've only seen you work recently, but I did visit your website (impressive photos).

I assume that, since you live in LV, you've been to Zion? I used to go there every year when I was growing up.

DonJuanMair
3rd of June 2011 (Fri), 15:32
not for a while, i really want to go back with an dslr though.

thanks for visitn gthe site tho!

ben_r_
6th of June 2011 (Mon), 16:18
Wow that pic looks incredibly over saturated to me, but thats really cool that you got it published!

Love my S95 too!

ilikecats
6th of June 2011 (Mon), 19:33
Great! You've made me really want to get this camera. Canon sure does make the best compacts IMO.

jayvuu
9th of June 2011 (Thu), 06:00
amazing..... congrats.