PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Sethch
3rd of July 2011 (Sun), 23:08
Well, my trusty Rebel XT stopped working correctly (it won't show the shutter speed when I'm in Aperture Priority mode) and something is going on with the dial when I try to use Manual mode. SO, it looks like it is time to upgrade. I'm torn between the 50D and 60D. I don't often take video, so that's not a deal breaker for me.

A new 60D is currently running $899, but I can get a refurbished one through the Canon Loyalty Program for $640. I can get a refurbished 50D for $560.

While I've heard GREAT things about the 7D (and it's only around $1100 for a refurbished one), I have smaller hands and it just feels to heavy to lug around when I'm out hiking.

So, what would you choose - 50D or 60D?

Thanks for your advice!
Seth

emelvee
3rd of July 2011 (Sun), 23:10
Do you need the swivel screen? I've heard that the 50D is not made out of plastic like the 60D, so you may want to take that into consideration if you are concerned about weight. Otherwise, I am not sure that there is a huge difference in between the 2 cameras.

gonzogolf
3rd of July 2011 (Sun), 23:15
Ordinarily for such a small price difference I would recommend the newer body. The 60D is sort of a new offshoot from the old XXD line, its a plastic body, doesnt have a pc sync port, but does have some new features. Go to www.dpreview.com read the reviews and use the side by side comparison tool.

Ralph III
3rd of July 2011 (Sun), 23:18
I've never owned a rebel series but the 60d layout seems similar to the rebel line than the xxd series cameras. Personally, I've had the 30d and 40d so the 50d would be more familiar to me; whereas you may find the layout of the 60d, including weight, to be more of what your accustomed to. The xxd line were magnesium alloy bodies and not plastic, btw. The 60d is the exception and why there was some initial scoffing.

That camera has some very nice upgraded features as well.

Good luck.

geeky
3rd of July 2011 (Sun), 23:18
If your hands are as small as you say they are, a 50/60D will be very similar in size to the 7D. Along with the size and user comfort, if you really don't need the video/swivel, I'd shoot for the 50D.

The main reason I would go for the 50D over the 60D is the build quality (50D is magnesium body), similar noise performance, but most importantly the 50D has MA while the 60D does not.

I would suggest that you go to a local store and try holding both camera's and seeing which feels most comfortable to you and which features you can live without.

Ralph III
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 00:03
Your better off checking the comparisons at DPreview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/) and yes with a hands-on as well.

The 60d has many new features I'd prefer over the 50d with higher ISO, higher resolution and wireless speedlight control.....

Not to mention you at least have the option of video. You'd also have to do some serious and most likely purposeful abuse to cause any real or significant damage to the modern plastics used in it, EXAMPLE (http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon60downers/discuss/72157626882318842/).

kcbrown
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 00:43
While I've heard GREAT things about the 7D (and it's only around $1100 for a refurbished one), I have smaller hands and it just feels to heavy to lug around when I'm out hiking.

So, what would you choose - 50D or 60D?

The 60D will be slightly smaller and slightly lighter than the 50D in terms of its grip -- it's apparently more like the 30D in that regard.

In your situation, I'd go for either the T2i (if the XT was very comfortable in your hands) or the 60D, depending on the price difference. They have the same excellent sensor, so you'll get the same image quality out of both. The 50D is great for those of us (like myself) with larger hands, but that's not a consideration for you (indeed, it may prove a hindrance), and the price difference between the 50D and the 60D (when both are refurb from Canon) is quite minimal for photography gear: less than $100.

What's the CLP price on the T2i?

KVN Photo
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 06:20
50D got micro adjustment, faster fps.
While 60D got a lot new feature, higher MP, ISO capability.
Personally I'd choose 50D.

watt100
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 06:25
Your better off checking the comparisons at DPreview (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/) and yes with a hands-on as well.

The 60d has many new features I'd prefer over the 50d with higher ISO, higher resolution and wireless speedlight control.....

Not to mention you at least have the option of video. You'd also have to do some serious and most likely purposeful abuse to cause any real or significant damage to the modern plastics used in it, EXAMPLE (http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon60downers/discuss/72157626882318842/).

check all the differences, for me a newer sensor and potential use of video like the 60D or 550D would be preferable

dave kadolph
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 07:34
Unless it changed in the last few days the 60D is not available through CLP.

BigAl007
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 07:44
Being in the UK we have the xxxD models, so I'm not sure which version the Reb XT is but if as I think it is the 350D then it uses CF cards. Unlike the xxD cameras up to the 50D and the xD models, which also take CF, the 60D and all the later Rebel / xxxD cameras use SD cards, which is something else that may sway your decision.

Alan

rick_reno
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 09:31
i'd go with the 60, it's newer.

RHChan84
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 10:15
60d also has wireless built in, higher iso, swivel screen, 1080p video modes and lock button on the picture mode (which some hate and some like)
50d has micro adjust, faster fps, magnesium ally body and no lock on picture mode (which some like and some don't)
It comes down to the user. 50d is a great camera but if your willing to give up a few things for video, wireless flash and swivel screen then 60d. But if you want faster fps, MA and mag alloy body then 50d

S2k_Dude
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 10:26
The 60D also has a higher resolution LCD screen. I chose the 60d because the build quailty is as good as the 50d, the polycarbonate body is lighter but still very robust and has some weather sealing, is newer, higher res sensor, etc. Been very happy with the 60d.

HoosierJoe
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 22:50
You can't go wrong with either. If you really don't need the video, go 50D.

Bradfordguy
4th of July 2011 (Mon), 23:58
What lenses do you have? If you have any "non Canon" lenses like Sigma or Tamron then the Micro Adjust focus feature might make a huge difference in how your new body interacts with the lenses. Some may need a little tweek and turn out to be great. You can't do that with a 60D. You likely would get another stop of High ISO performance out of the 60D. That has valeu also.

Sethch
5th of July 2011 (Tue), 21:07
My lenses include:

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 LD Di-II
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
Canon EF-S 55-250
Canon 50mm f/1.8

I mainly shoot with the Tamron and plan on getting the Canon 10-22 for wide angle shots.

I'm not interested in staying with the Rebel line because my fingers get cramped and I feel like I've really grown as a photographer and I'm ready to upgrade to something that will offer more opportunities for growth.

kcbrown
5th of July 2011 (Tue), 21:37
I'm not interested in staying with the Rebel line because my fingers get cramped and I feel like I've really grown as a photographer and I'm ready to upgrade to something that will offer more opportunities for growth.

That suggests that the Rebel series is too small for your hands. Maybe your hands aren't as small as you implied. :)

If all your lenses nailed the focus on your Rebel then chances are, you won't need the autofocus microadjustment feature. In that event, the 60D is probably the better overall choice (unless you prefer the magnesium frame of the 50D), if only because it's newer and will be serviceable for a longer period of time. It's at least as capable as the 50D for general purpose shooting -- it's only when you're shooting fast sports that the frame rate difference between the two might start to matter.

For all I know, Canon might have actually implemented a real, closed-loop autofocus algorithm in the 60D, and that may be why the 60D reportedly has not had problems with being out of adjustment.

sdubey
5th of July 2011 (Tue), 22:03
For someone upgrading from Rebel line, DPReview recommends 60D over 50D.

"And, for the Rebel upgrader it's a better option than a second-hand 40D or 50D in almost every respect."