PDA

View Full Version : Update on Motorsport Workshop (and some pics)

KennyG
24th of October 2005 (Mon), 20:03
Everyone (25) who responded to my orginal post will receive a PM by the end of the week. You will be asked to submit three images from this season in 640x480 (or thereabouts, depending on camera) with supporting text. So, start sorting out your pictures from this year.

To give you some help, I am posting a few pictures from the weekend and the text to go with them. The FF Festival has been posted to death, although none from my side of the fence, so I'll refrain from adding to the noise too much.

The day opened with semi-final one for the FF1800's. It was a very close battle at the front between Irishman Charlie Donnelly and Dutchman Dennis Retera. Donnely lead for most of the race but was passed three laps before the finish by Retera who won by over 600th's of a second.

Donnelly leading Retera into Paddock:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-02.jpg

Retera in the lead being pushed hard by Donnelly, entertaining the crowd with their wheel to wheel battle:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-31.jpg

The two BRDC Single Seater Championship races at the weekend were won by Nick Tandy. All the drivers are Silverstone Racing School pupils. F1 has a number of ex-pupils as do other major championships. As some of them seem to spend as much time in the gravel as on the track I can only assume they acquire the necessary skills as they get older.

Nick leading the pack up to Druids with an errant driver going for a trip into the Paddock gravel (no surprise):
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-08.jpg

Coming through to win:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-09.jpg

Look at the second Nick Tandy image in particular for the sort of content you should be aiming for. You can also look on page 30 of the festival program where my Peter Dempsey picture was used.

The Thurtle/Bennington Aston Martin V8 has dominated the Classic Touring Cars for a number of years and this weekend was no exception. Despite being pushed hard by the Yates/Scarborough Mustang, the Aston came through for yet another fine win.

The Aston Martin carving its way though the slower cars:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-11.jpg

Two very welcome wins at this weekend's festival were those by Duncan Tappy in FF1800 and Gavin Wills in FF1600. Both drivers battled their way through the heats to finish on the top step of the final podium.

Duncan Tappy coming out of Clearways on his way to claim the Festival 1800 title:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-12.jpg

A delighted Gavin Wills celebrating an excellent title win in FF1600:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-13.jpg

Last, but not least, there was an excellent turnout for the Sports 2000 races, the Duratec Championship race being won by Nick Bates in his Lola T87/90:
http://www.motorpix.co.uk/images86/bh-14.jpg

Ignore fancy close cropping and wheel lifts (they were all banned from over-use of the kerbs anyway) as this was not the intention of posting these. Look at the content and what they tell you. Please put the same level of thought into your selected images. I can assure you that tack sharp quality is not on my agenda.

Thanks for reading this far. I am giving you as many hints as I can without spelling everything out in detail.

retro
24th of October 2005 (Mon), 21:35
I find photo number 3 to be very inspiring. As usual great shots.

Cadwell
25th of October 2005 (Tue), 11:25
An interesting read, Ken. Those wanting to take part in one of your motorsport workshops would do well to take notes...

(p.s. The pictures are nice too ;) )

Moppie
25th of October 2005 (Tue), 18:01
I really enjoy these sort of threads Ken,
It gives me some idea as to what is going on under your hat when your taking these shots, its what makes them stand out as the work of a true proffesional.

If you are able to present ideas with the same clarity in person then you might have just found a second career as a teacher.

OceanView
25th of October 2005 (Tue), 18:37
Very Nice.
Hope to one day have a chance to shoot some motorsports.

KennyG
26th of October 2005 (Wed), 20:30
There has been very little response from those who expressed initial interest, so I intend to give it a week after the mail goes out. I have huge commitments next year, including numerous trips abroad, and may have to can the project if the numbers don't now stack up. Pity as it could have launched some carreers. Ah well......

GSH
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 01:39
There has been very little response from those who expressed initial interest, so I intend to give it a week after the mail goes out. I have huge commitments next year, including numerous trips abroad, and may have to can the project if the numbers don't now stack up. Pity as it could have launched some carreers. Ah well......

Ken,

As one of those who responded i personally didn't want to appear to be hassling you, knowing that you're busy with work.

I assumed you'd be fitting this in around your main commitments as a "spare time" project.

Since you posted this thread i've been sorting through this year's back-up DVD's and have reduced several thousand images down to around 20, from which i will select 3 as required, then i have to go back and make sure i get the text correct...

Apologies if there's been a misunderstanding, i'm fairly sure the others will have been thinking the same as myself.

I can assure you that i am most definitely interested. :)

Cadwell
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 02:20
Things were pretty busy on the forum when this thread was posted so many of the people who originaly expressed interest in this great offer from Ken may have missed seeing it. I've made this thread sticky and will leave it up for a week or so to give you all a chance.

Glenn
Moderator.

nevets2001uk
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 05:14
Sorry, I missed this thread before Ken. I'm going to work on looking through my shots before the week is over.

*EDIT - Sorry I was in a rush earlier! Just wanted to say great shots Ken and thanks for the tips you've provided with the text as well.*

Cheers,
Steve

Simon Harrison
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 05:21
Been away from home for a couple of days and then have been busy since I got back. Have looked on the forum a few times but never with enough time to post.

First off, gret set of shots Ken (as usual), and the words that accompany each picture really help set the context and tell the story of what was happening. For those who will be lucky enough to spend time with Ken, study the composition of these shots over the winter. Look at the positioning in the frame and the backgrounds. For me, the shots with the biggest impact are always those with multiple cars in the frame that show actual racing and 'tell a story'.

Cheers,

Simon.

andrewc
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 07:43
I expressed interest in watching a master at work, but photography for me is just for fun and Ken was looking to mentor some people who wanted to do this more professionally.

PaulEY
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 17:58
I had thought the same as GSH and didn't want to hassle you and I completely missed this thread first time around some how, plus working 12 plus hours days all this week working on a dvd at work hasn't helped my time situation, I have only got through about half the shots I took on sunday at the FF Fesitval :(

I hope I can still get my photo's in as the next chance I will get is next monday as I am away this weekend doing sea trials on a boat that was damaged last month.

GSH
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 18:26
I

I hope I can still get my photo's in as the next chance I will get is next monday as I am away this weekend doing sea trials on a boat that was damaged last month.

No need to worry Paul, i think you'll see from the PM that Ken has given us more than enough time...

All i have to do now is figure out the second half of the "clue" we've been given, i've got the easy part already :lol:

Good luck to all :)

PaulEY
27th of October 2005 (Thu), 18:58
I just got the pm after I had posted, first part was easy, have to give the other one a bit more thought when I have time.

I have some translation and more research to do for the write up for one photo though lol.

badgerbaiter
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 18:23
can someone point me in the direction of the orig thread? i'm interested, but i'm new here and fashionably late

Cadwell
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 17:29
can someone point me in the direction of the orig thread? i'm interested, but i'm new here and fashionably late

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103282

DwightMcCann
17th of November 2005 (Thu), 14:07
Not my genre but man I love looking at your images (I know I always say that) ... great lighting effect, saturation, color, composition always has a little something extra! Simply inspiring.

Swaffs
29th of December 2005 (Thu), 04:33
I don't belive it. I just came on here late last night after an extended period just to show my father in law the quality images people post, whilst I'm on holiday at his house.

Months of not visiting any forums, let alone this one! and there's a PM waiting for me:oops:. I now have an extremely short time to get my submission in!!!!!

:oops: Better late than never !

I'm not sure why I didn't get an email notification a few months ago though....

Ok, into my gallery I go! this is going to be difficult, but fun.

(Thanks for the opportunity):cool:

Swaffs
4th of January 2006 (Wed), 08:31
I hope you did get enough responses to make it worth your time and effort.

Swaffs

robam
14th of January 2006 (Sat), 08:41
Hi All,

Anybody heard anything about the workshops??

Rob

peeps27
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 08:16
Hi Robam

I have not heard anything yet (I live in hope). I am not sure how many replies KennyG got but it must be a ball-ache of a job for him and I think he was asking his colleague for a second opinion for judging. Give the guys a chance we are only into the second week of the new year, I am still in my "post Christmas doom and gloom" period. :(

Happy new year by the way !!

Paul

robam
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 10:30
Hi Paul,

Happy new year to you to mate.

Only 69 days to go WOO HOO !! :)

Se7enUK
21st of January 2006 (Sat), 04:20
http://www.motorbikeracer.com/albums/showcase/03_Gregorio_Lavilla_BSB_Brands_Hatch.jpg (www.motorbikeracer.com)

Same corner with a bike.

thesnov
21st of January 2006 (Sat), 16:59
Hi.
You have some nice pictures in that set. I think # 3 + 7 are the best.