PDA

View Full Version : Does your ISP limit (throttle) your connection speed?

S.Horton
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 19:51
About a month ago, I noticed my photo uploads and downloads had slowed down.

I have a two-way cable modem and my provider is Service Electric Cable TV and Communications
http://www.sectv.com/

I didn't think much of it, but when it continued I decided to re-check my connection speeds.

Normally, I use just a web page to do it:
http://speedtest.net/

Old Results (Upload/Download): 3 Mbps / 7 Mbps
New Results: .8 Mbps / 3 Mbps

So, are they throttling? Did they decrease my speed on the internet? Did they tell me about it? (rhetorical, as you may guess)

YES, they are limiting my connection. Yes, the speed is in fact down. Of course they didn't tell me.

If your ISP is doing this to you, you can find out by using one of these tools:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/158951/find_out_if_your_isp_is_throttling_your_internet_s ervice.html

The one I used is:
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mlab.php

Interesting, since I pay the same amount per month, but now I have less speed.

My success calling this vendor for any kind of help is, well, about the same as every other Cable company, I imagine.

I think it is interesting that cable companies are monopolies, still.

Ah, the internet age!

Gotta love it.

IShootThings
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 20:22
As much as I wanted to vote for "Why is this not a poll about the TF? " I had to vote "Yes" instead because I have Comcast who also limits your monthly bandwidth usage.

I do know that the speeds vary depending on the time of day and the number of other people in your area that are using the service. It's been a while since I read up on it...

Anke
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 20:32
Not sure if the UK is different and the ISPs are more open but mine clearly states that if you go over your allowance then you will be throttled back for the rest of the billing period. The throttling gets more severe the further you go over your allowance. I think most ISPs here in the UK have this policy clearly stated.
They also manage the traffic over the network at certain times of the day so that all users get a fair experience. The more you pay the less "managed" you are.

oldvultureface
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 20:48
Oddly, our local phone company's DSL has been better lately-up from 3 Mb/s to 4 Mb/s. There was a period a few weeks ago where the service was slow and intermittent but suddenly it picked up and has been excellent ever since. I'll assume they were getting the bugs out of some new equipment. My wife is pulling data continuously watching the stock market five days a week and there's certainly no throttling or limiting of bandwidth.

S.Horton
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 22:08
As much as I wanted to vote for "Why is this not a poll about the TF? " I had to vote "Yes" instead because I have Comcast who also limits your monthly bandwidth usage.

I do know that the speeds vary depending on the time of day and the number of other people in your area that are using the service. It's been a while since I read up on it...

Yes, they do vary, because my street/zone/area shares one line coming into this neighborhood. So, I could see variations, but this drop was too consistently slow, so I started watching, then checking......

It isn't like I could call the Cable company and talk to anyone who knows anything, either.

(I know people who worked there; it is not a mystery why that is true. Service costs money. Gasp.)

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 22:10
I think Cox puts the brakes on residential over use but I can't claim I've ever experienced a significant slow down.

50Mb/s cable with direct fiber looming in the near future.

S.Horton
24th of September 2011 (Sat), 22:17
Oh, I wish I could get that kind of speed!

At Lehigh U, if you go on the network as a guest, I know they throttle heavily; you get a maximum sum of up/down in any one second. So, if you are uploading, you can literally wait a long time for google.com to show up in a browser. They have to do that for students as well, but the limits are higher.

Otherwise, well, music and video, plus the (amazing) number of kids doing Skype/Video chat......

thomascanty
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 01:48
I'm with Time Warner/Roadrunner and they've actually doubled my transfer speed since I signed up with them four years ago. No increase in price and I didn't ask for it. It's just a heck of a lot faster now.

Scatterbrained
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 01:56
I think Cox puts the brakes on residential over use but I can't claim I've ever experienced a significant slow down.

50Mb/s cable with direct fiber looming in the near future.

I envy your future! I moved back to Va from Fl and the cable internet here is half the speed as the DSL was in Fl, and it cost more! The best I could get was slightly slower than what I had as a basic package in Fl, and would have cost me over twice what I was paying down there. During peak hours I can go and make a pot of coffee (with a vacuum brewer even) while waiting for a small news video to load.

CountryBoy
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 02:30
I just want to know ,where is the TF ?

S.Horton
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 13:24
Enquiring minds want to know. You have that kind of mind.

The TF may have my bandwidth, for all I know.

Scatterbrained
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 13:42
I just want to know ,where is the TF ?

The TF is hiding in your ceiling, stealing your bandwidth.

joeseph
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 17:50
here in the third world, ISP's have most folks on a capped plan where if you go over your allocated useage per month, they rate-limit you to 56K (dialup speed)

Other plans that don't do this charge you exhorbatant costs for "overuseage"

Pingman
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 18:09
Kind of hard to answer this one since I know they are throttling my speed. When you sign up for FIOS, you pay for specific speeds. I am currently getting this...

Broadband Speed Test Speed Test for the Central region
We have finished your connection speed test for TX - Texas.
Your download speed is 22.974 Mbps. Your upload speed is 8.611 Mbps.

S.Horton
25th of September 2011 (Sun), 18:10
ANZ is not 3rd world! That's where the -real- Babe lived!

joeseph
26th of September 2011 (Mon), 06:47
ANZ is not 3rd world!
lol... have you tried dial-up speed lately? :lol:

rick_reno
26th of September 2011 (Mon), 14:10
No, I'm in Idaho - we're so slow here throttling wouldn't even be noticed.

rpaul
26th of September 2011 (Mon), 14:21
Just because you're not getting 100% of your advertised bandwidth at a given moment doesn't mean they're throttling you. Cable ISP's are notorious for overselling nodes, and during peak hours your connection can get hosed pretty badly.

Now, if you were to run that bandwidth test at various times over the course of a couple different days and got consistent results then you may be on to something.

RE: the poll, I'm lucky enough to live in a FiOS area, so no ... no throttling. Speed tests often come in slightly above my advertised speeds.

rklepper
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 07:08
Don't feel too bad. Where I live (I am currently moving) I pay for 768k, yes that is k. But they limit download speed to 100k. :(

Jonas Kristiansen
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 07:35
Here in Denmark i have a 50/50 connection for 50 dollars a month - you don't hear me complaining ;)

quiksquirrel
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 08:12
Here in Denmark i have a 50/50 connection for 50 dollars a month - you don't hear me complaining ;)

Just one more reason to love this place :D
Ad to that current 4G connections up to 80Mbps and things start to look pretty good for us.

Even better still, they are currently laying the cables for our new 1Gbps connection (1000Mbps) :cool:

To answer the OP. No. My connection speed is not being limited and there is no maximum "allowance".

Ugly Joe
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 12:00
Kind of hard to answer this one since I know they are throttling my speed. When you sign up for FIOS, you pay for specific speeds. I am currently getting this...

Broadband Speed Test Speed Test for the Central region
We have finished your connection speed test for TX - Texas.
Your download speed is 22.974 Mbps. Your upload speed is 8.611 Mbps.
I'm wondering what kind of packages Verizon is offering on the FiOS, as those speeds seem slow to me. I just checked and had a download speed of 36.87 and an upload speed of 25.79 - I'm paying for the standard residential high-speed broadband that comes bundled with phone and television...nothing close to commercial.

...and I thought the TF transcends bandwidth.

S.Horton
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 13:55
Just one more reason to love this place :D
Ad to that current 4G connections up to 80Mbps and things start to look pretty good for us.

Even better still, they are currently laying the cables for our new 1Gbps connection (1000Mbps) :cool:

To answer the OP. No. My connection speed is not being limited and there is no maximum "allowance".

The Danes are indeed interesting. Those I have worked with remind me of the French and Germans if they were in a transporter accident with the best of each left behind.

In the US, I'm still amazed that bandwidth isn't just charged for by the unit consumed.

quiksquirrel
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 14:14
The Danes are indeed interesting. Those I have worked with remind me of the French and Germans if they were in a transporter accident with the best of each left behind.

Not entirely sure if I should view this as good or bad.

Jonas Kristiansen
27th of September 2011 (Tue), 14:22
Not entirely sure if I should view this as good or bad.

Me neither :confused:

S.Horton
28th of September 2011 (Wed), 17:55
It is all good. German engineering mindset with French manners. The difference is that the Danes seem to actually mean it when they inquire about how you are. I have not yet met someone from Scandanavia whom I did not like.