PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get Serial Number from Canon Digital Rebel

greg4bs
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 09:12
Where on the camera do I find this number. would it be DS6041 on the bottom panel above made in Taiwan?:D

tiziano
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 09:21
On my 20D, I see the serial number only when I connect the camera to my conputer. The Canon software will show it.

ssim
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 09:28
The serial number should be on the bottom of the camera.

It should also be in your exif information from any image.

Snapman
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 13:40
If it isn't visible on the base of your camera, it has already worn off! Yes, I did say worn off, so obtain it from the exif information, as I have done from my 20D :)

Also, while you're in there, you could enter your name and telephone number :)

puttick
6th of November 2005 (Sun), 14:58
Yes, as Snapman says, the s/no should be on the base plate, but can wear off on some early models which had the wrong ink! - it did this on the first 350 I had, and it was exchanged without question by my dealer (Jessops). This problem was fixed by May 2005, so if yours is "new" and it has rubbed off, you may want to ask the obvious question.

Canon say the lack of a visible s/no is no problem, and the warranty is still OK, but imagine trying to sell it without a s/no? Or prove it was yours for insurance purposes? I demanded a camera with a s/no!

How to get the serial no? It should be something like 0330122447 or 0530431067.

1. It is on the box - at the end there are three numbers and two small barcodes. It is the middle number of the three.

2. You can get the s/no from the EXIF file with most browsers.

3. You can get it from the camera, by using Zoombrowser with camera connected via the USB lead - "edit", "manage my camera". While you're in there, you can set the owner's name. I also have put my name and my international mobile number - there are just enough digits.

Out of interest -what do you want it for?

Good luck

YosemiteJunkie
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 01:16
On my 300D it is on the bottom of the body on a sticker that has
Canon DS6041
DC 8.1V
NO. 16605xxxxx

The no. 166 etc is the serial number. (note: yours may be different numbering)

grego
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 01:46
Should be on the warranty card too like any lens.

mandingo
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 11:30
Mine WAS on the bottom of my 350D and got rubbed off within a day. Luckily I wrote it down and saved it. The number in the EXIF info is different than the serial number that was on the bottom.

Jon
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 11:17
Canon USA had a Service Notice on this. Go to their web site, click on "Support" and 350D, then Service Notices. It also showed up on early 20Ds.

Falkon
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 06:18
From canon site

"Serial Number Rubbing Off

We discovered that, for some of the EOS 20D and EOS Digital Rebel XT models that were produced during a certain period of time, the body number printed on the label had worn off following use of the product. This problem affects some products in the following serial number ranges:

EOS 20D:
Body No. "0910400001 - 0910402496", "0920400001 - 0920407771", "0930400001 - 0930417770"

The body number becoming faint or wearing off does not affect the product functionality. It also does not affect warranty service since the body number is recorded as data in the product. Please contact your local service center if you encounter this problem."

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&keycode=2112&fcategoryid=215&modelid=10464#Serial

Why no tell us how to find it without going to "your local service center"?

Jon
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 09:34
Because only your local service center can put the replacement S/N on the camera. As noted above, it's embedded in every Canon DSLR's EXIF info. Don't recall about the others.

mandingo
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 10:18
Just discovered my "local service center" is either NJ or CA and I live in MI. Guess I'll live with the serial number rubbed off.

airspy
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 22:36
On my 300D it is on the bottom of the body on a sticker that has
Canon DS6041
DC 8.1V
NO. 16605xxxxx

The no. 166 etc is the serial number. (note: yours may be different numbering)

I have a question regarding the EOS Digital Rebel (DS6041), and since you all seem to know a bit about it, I'm hoping to get an answer...

I am considering upgrading my camera body because I want to shoot RAW and the menu function of my DS6041 does not indicate I can do it. However, I have read in the specs that is is supposed to shoot RAW... Am I missing an upgrade on the camera? Or is my model too old?
Thanks,
Airpsy

number six
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 23:06
I have a question regarding the EOS Digital Rebel (DS6041), and since you all seem to know a bit about it, I'm hoping to get an answer...

I am considering upgrading my camera body because I want to shoot RAW and the menu function of my DS6041 does not indicate I can do it. However, I have read in the specs that is is supposed to shoot RAW... Am I missing an upgrade on the camera? Or is my model too old?
Thanks,
Airpsy

Cool! A two-year-old thread resurrected!

:lol:

Your 300D (Digital Rebel) will shoot RAW. But not in the automatic modes. Switch to P, Av, Tv, M or A-DEP and you'll be able to select RAW.

-js

bcdoug
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 23:08
apply one of the hacks for the rebel. it gives you 10D functions, including shooting raw.

you also need to be shooting in something other than auto to shoot raw.

elwood58
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 23:08
Airspy,

You can only select the RAW quality setting when the camera is in P Tv, Av or M mode on the top dial. If you are in any other mode, it will not show up as a menu choice. These are the only modes that will produce RAW output. In the Auto modes, Large Fine JPEG is as good as it gets.

elwood58
17th of January 2008 (Thu), 23:21
If you just look at the EXIF data from any photo, using Canon Software, the Body # (S/N) will be the last data item.

danielyamseng
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 02:39
If you just look at the EXIF data from any photo, using Canon Software, the Body # (S/N) will be the last data item.
yeah that's right. is actually a finger print to note that it's yours picture:)

airspy
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 16:33
Thank you very much to both of you: you've just saved me hundreds of dollars... for now!

Cheers!

number six
18th of January 2008 (Fri), 17:55
Once you've gotten familiar with the 300D you might be interested in the hacked firmware that enables a few useful functions...

-js