PDA

View Full Version : so who thinks sonys new "compact vault" is completely whack

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 00:18
so who does? i do.

http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Compactvault/

why all the proprietary stuff sony? why?

Wazza
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 02:10
They have a camera in the CF II market?

My old Sony Memory Sticks are gathering dust.

I thought their initiative was to go smaller, and that's why their other version is tiny. That 5Gb "Vault" looks like it'll be expensive, as with all other Sony media.

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 02:24
of course. i just dont get sony. i guess their newer "slrs" have cf? havent looked into them yet

scr7b
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 08:41
The DSC-F828 supports both MemoryStick and CF... I think they were getting worried about storage capacity on the memory sticks, with file sizes getting bigger all the time.

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 10:32
if i ever get to meet a sony executive, i must ask them why all the proprietary stuff you money greedy hogs.

Belmondo
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 10:38
if i ever get to meet a sony executive, i must ask them why all the proprietary stuff you money greedy hogs.

....and in so doing, you will have asked and answered your own question.

sdommin
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 10:52
I'm missing something here, so help me out: what's proprietary about it? It looks like a 5GB hard disk CF card that will work just fine in my Canon 20D.

Citizensmith
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 11:50
On the subject of Sony

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2005-11-04

[Warning---link is to site that contains strong language. Just thought you might like to know before you get there. Belmondo]

Yeah sorry, should have said myself. The link contains language that would be filtered on this site.

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 12:30
....and in so doing, you will have asked and answered your own question.

yes id ask just to spite them =P

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 12:31
I'm missing something here, so help me out: what's proprietary about it? It looks like a 5GB hard disk CF card that will work just fine in my Canon 20D.

if im not mistaken, the sony one wont. and will only work in sony cameras

sdommin
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 15:58
if im not mistaken, the sony one wont. and will only work in sony cameras

I did a Google search for "compactvault", and every writeup I saw specifically mentioned that it is compatible with any device that accepts Type II CF cards. As far as I can see, this is Sony's idea of an improved CF card, not some brand new proprietary thing that only Sony users will be able to use.

kaitanium
7th of November 2005 (Mon), 19:50
gizmodo's post was a little bit misleading if that was true
http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/sonys-new-proprietary-memory-scheme-compact-vault-134217.php

Jesper
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 04:35
Hmmm... it's not entirely clear if it is really compatible with regular CF cards and microdrives or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't and it would only work in Sony devices. Typical for arrogant Sony, who thinks they have to re-invent standards on their own... :rolleyes: they make some nice stuff, but this is stupid, just like the encrypted RAW format of the DSC F-828...

aam1234
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 12:25
Speaking of Sony, have a look here (http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6376177.html?tag=nl.e501).

Citizensmith
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 14:59
And Sony have also just lost a couple of law suits. One for making up a newspaper and movie reviewer and using this imaginary individual's opinion on DVD cases. The second for outright bribery of DJs to increase play time of Sony music and having a paid staff of "Happy party girls" to phone radio stations pretending to be listeners and request Sony music.

Wonderful company.

kaitanium
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 12:50
wonderful indeed. and thta DRM thing makes me wanna punch them. havent bought a sony thing in ages

kaitanium
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 04:29
oh my gosh
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

im not supporting sony anymore

lost
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 09:35
oh my gosh
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

im not supporting sony anymore

HaHa... Microsoft is salivating at the thought of Sony doing something so stupid.

Sony is on my $hit list for many of the things that they are doing. They succeeded in turning a loyal customer away from their product, not because of problems with their merchandise but because of thier business practices.

I own/have owned more the 60 Sony products from Big Screen TVs to remote controls to Digital Cameras.(Although I did go from PS1 to Xbox instead of PS2) I bought 46" and 32" Sony TVs this year and will not purchase another product from Sony until their business practices change.(asside from cashing in all my points on my Sony Credit Card).

Citizensmith
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 10:39
I'd be very suprised if sony was really so dumb as to block access to used games, rentals, and friends lending each other games. It would kill off a lot of the viral marketing that can sell product as well as make them a lot of wealthy enemies.

More likely it was just the standard corporate move of slap a patent on anything the moves so that down the line you can either stop someone else from doing exactly that, or let them and assign a hefty licensing fee. Similar to Creative recently pointing out to Apple that they own the patent on the menu system used on all the Ipods. Gonna cost apple a decent chunk of change that.

kaitanium
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 14:26
I'd be very suprised if sony was really so dumb as to block access to used games, rentals, and friends lending each other games.

hey they did the dumb thing with their DRM stuff by installing spyware onto your computer to play their music discs, i wouldnt be surprised.

Citizensmith
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 15:01
hey they did the dumb thing with their DRM stuff by installing spyware onto your computer to play their music discs, i wouldnt be surprised.

Very true. They are paying for that as well with apparently 3 class action suits initiated in the US and 1 in europe. Of course we are paying as well, as Trojans have already been encountered in the UK that use the Sony rootkit to hide and turn the users system into a zombie.

DocFrankenstein
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 15:37
It's gonna take about a week for someone to work around that. Never had a playstation... all of my game-playing has been done on a pc

kaitanium
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 16:37
nintendo all the way! mario is my best friend.

sony releases some dumb patent thing, then they pay for it with lawsuits. lol. its like asking to lose money, maybe they arent as money greedy as i thought they were. hehehhe

Citizensmith
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 19:18
Apparently Symantec and a couple of others have classified the rootkit as malware. Microsoft haven't but said they are seriously considering adding its profile as malware in Defender. Kind of a nice way for the companies to tell Sony to f**k off and stop acting like they run the world.

CyberDyneSystems
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 19:26
Isn't it just a rebranded Seagate Micro Drive with the Sony name on it? The Seagate drive is about 12 months old or so.

Belmondo
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 19:56
I was looking at one today, but thought $200 for 5 gigs was too much.

sdommin
11th of November 2005 (Fri), 07:28
I was looking at one today, but thought $200 for 5 gigs was too much.

Where are you buying your memory cards? Last time I checked, 4 gigs of CF storage was $300 to $400. 5 gigs for $200 doesn't sound that bad!

Belmondo
11th of November 2005 (Fri), 08:21
Where are you buying your memory cards? Last time I checked, 4 gigs of CF storage was $300 to $400. 5 gigs for $200 doesn't sound that bad!

It's a microdrive, not a CF card. Boy, if it was a CF card, I would have bought all they had @ $200.