PDA

View Full Version : Malton Forest Rally 2011 pt2

Stewart Laker
9th of November 2011 (Wed), 16:29
Here are some more shots from the Malton Forest Rally.
I think this was junction 14 on their first run. (gale rig)
All comments and recommendations welcome.

#1 Charlie Payne / Craig Thorley - Ford Focus
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6096/6330073076_704b9d32b2_b.jpg

#2 Ryan Champion / Jemma Bellingham - Subaru Impreza 555
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6228/6329305461_8e6164db63_b.jpg

#3 Peter Stephenson / Plug Pulleyn - Ford Focus
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6094/6330059920_cf0a9e1013_b.jpg

#4 Steve Petch / Ian Windress - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6211/6329318763_2049747568_b.jpg

#5 Tristan Pye / Andrew Falkner - Subaru Impreza
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6037/6330064508_ddb016cee8_b.jpg

Sorry in advance if I have board you all.:p

Reno_LV
12th of November 2011 (Sat), 17:02
Very very sharp set. Nice job!

wizaron
14th of November 2011 (Mon), 15:39
Superb shots :cool:

rahal
15th of November 2011 (Tue), 03:05
Sharp & detailed shots, great work

philwillmedia
15th of November 2011 (Tue), 03:43
As has been mentioned, they're nice and sharp, but for me they're boring.
There's just not enough variety.
They're all the same basic front 3/4 shot - same background, just a different car.
There's nothing that really tells a story.
They could really be at any rally anywhere.
Even if you're stuck at the one spot, try shooting wider to take in more of the surroundings or moving around a bit to try and get a different angle rather than replicating the same shot for the whole field.
Not only will it make your pics more interesting, it will make your day more interesting.

I like the significance of Ryan Champion's number plate.

chrispons
15th of November 2011 (Tue), 06:49
I am with you Phil,but I guess each to there own.

Technically superb,and am sure competitors would be very happy to buy these shots as a record,but on the odd occasion when I have been stuck doing record shots it has bored me rigid.

The best rallies are the single venue ones as you get much more chance to photograph the cars several times in different locations on the same complex.

philwillmedia
15th of November 2011 (Tue), 23:36
Further to my post above and to give you an idea of what I mean, all these were taken at the same corner, same day and no more than a total of about 30 metres apart.

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/IMG_1017.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/IMG_1026.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/IMG_1091.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/KB2N1309.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/KB2N1333.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/KB2N1463.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/KB2N1515.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia/photos/2011-Classic-Targa-Adelaide/KB2N1526.JPG

Reno_LV
16th of November 2011 (Wed), 05:42
Philwillmedia, I see your point and you have a great variety there, but then again they lack quality so I rather enjoy a few good quality ones, than plenty average ones, but that's just me.

philwillmedia
16th of November 2011 (Wed), 05:56
Philwillmedia, I see your point and you have a great variety there, but then again they lack quality so I rather enjoy a few good quality ones, than plenty average ones, but that's just me.
umm...you're not really serious are you?
My clients (including motorsport publications) never complain about the quality.
The original files are all pin sharp.
Those images above are low res - 600 x 400 and saved as quality 5 in Photoshop - file sizes are around 70-80kb.

Reno_LV
16th of November 2011 (Wed), 07:01
I'm not trying to be funny or being an ass but:
#1 is soft, tree does nothing at right corner and just looks like a snap shot
#2 car is barely visible and that effect does nothing, looks like a snap shot
#3 is nicely framed, but is clearly very soft and blurry
#4 should benefit of a lower shutter speed
#5 too much underexposed you barely see the tire
#6 is underexposed
#7 soft and underexposed
#8 best of the set however clearly soft
Don't forget that customers are not photographers and they can't tell the quality differences sometimes!
If you publish some photos on a photography forum, you should try to save them in the best possible quality within forum rules, so we can see them better, like the original thread owner did.

GSH
16th of November 2011 (Wed), 19:41
Let's get this straight. On a 1 day event, with cars coming through at 30 second intervals, in a Forest that is lined both sides of the stages with trees, ditches etc, are people on here really expecting Hobby Photographers to wander up & down a live stage just so a few members' lust for "variety" can be satisfied?

If you can seriously answer yes to that question, then you're a danger to yourself and others and are exactly the sort of person Rally Organisers don't want at their event.

chrispons
17th of November 2011 (Thu), 04:09
Let's get this straight. On a 1 day event, with cars coming through at 30 second intervals, in a Forest that is lined both sides of the stages with trees, ditches etc, are people on here really expecting Hobby Photographers to wander up & down a live stage just so a few members' lust for "variety" can be satisfied?

If you can seriously answer yes to that question, then you're a danger to yourself and others and are exactly the sort of person Rally Organisers don't want at their event.

That's just a sad excuse so that you can stay planted and take the same shots time on time,Geoff and slag off others that seem to cope and get variety without endangering cars or drivers.
As I recall you were in a dodgy spot on a recent rally that got brought up on BRF despite your protestations ,so pot and kettle comes to mind,and as you never comment on any of my stuff or many others other than your chums I dont really care what you think or do.
Pons

pepperpod
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 02:21
love that 4, nice shot

looks fun to be him

Rhodri.Lew10
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 06:31
Now now ladies! Everyone has their own opinion about the style of photography they prefer and this sort of discussion has been done to death on pretty much every forum I'm a member of.

FWIW, the shots posted by Stewart are good quality 3/4 shots, if he's happy with them then that's all the matters. I don't take photos for the benefit of others, I shoot the style of photography I like not to satisfy people on Forums. If people find my stuff 'boring' then fine, but that won't change my style!

Geoff, cars are at 1 minute intervals in the forests so I simply don't buy that excuse for staying planted in the same spot for hours on end. As long as you plan where you want to go and keep your wits about you, I don't see the problem in moving about within reason. Spectators do it, so why can't photographers?

Rhod

philwillmedia
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 06:57
Well, that went down like a lead kite.
I'm kinda sorry I put finger to keyboard on this thread.
I didn't set out to start a full scale war nor was it my intent to hijack the thread.
I was simply responding to this line
...All comments and recommendations welcome... which was in the opening of the thread.
I guess that's not exactly the sort of comments and recommendations he had in mind and that they're not really all that welcome.
I guess the standard "nice photos" was more in keeping with what was required by the OP and the masses.
Ah well, Cest la vie.

Stewart Laker
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 07:58
Thanks to everyone who has taken to time to comment on my photos, as I said at the start all comments and recommendations welcome. It’s a long time since I have been to rallies. That’s way I have not commented on replies until now it is interesting to see how others view your shots. I continue to read all your comments. Everyone is entitled to their point of view keep on commenting.
Thanks Stewart

GSH
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 10:09
On 2nd thoughts, reply deleted and apologies to Stewart for taking his thread further into the mud.

My final word in this thread - if you don't like it, don't comment. In the case of Mr Ponsford, just don't comment.

Simon Harrison
19th of November 2011 (Sat), 14:21
Stewart,

These are well taken shots. Can I ask, have you used any shadow/highlight correction on these? If so, maybe have a look at the tool settings.

Variety, as they say, is the spice of life. It amuses me that the style one person prefers is the only style that's acceptable. That's certainly how it reads LOL. As for moving during a live stage, I'm with Geoff on this one. The lowest risk option is to stay put, but I see no reason to move in between longer gaps, say between the historics and main field, within reason. I've seen too many spectators in very dangerous positions while trying to move through a live stage to be comfortable doing it myself. My personal preference, no more than that.

Oh, and Chris, my video significantly fore shortens the distance Geoff was from the car that rolled in my video. Of course as you weren't there, you wouldn't know that. For the record, Geoff is the most safety conscious rally photographer I know, and will reject positions I would happily stand in and will move well before I would. He was in no danger at all in that video.

Cheers,

Simon.

Stewart Laker
21st of November 2011 (Mon), 07:24
Stewart,

These are well taken shots. Can I ask, have you used any shadow/highlight correction on these? If so, maybe have a look at the tool settings.

Variety, as they say, is the spice of life. It amuses me that the style one person prefers is the only style that's acceptable. That's certainly how it reads LOL. As for moving during a live stage, I'm with Geoff on this one. The lowest risk option is to stay put, but I see no reason to move in between longer gaps, say between the historics and main field, within reason. I've seen too many spectators in very dangerous positions while trying to move through a live stage to be comfortable doing it myself. My personal preference, no more than that.

Oh, and Chris, my video significantly fore shortens the distance Geoff was from the car that rolled in my video. Of course as you weren't there, you wouldn't know that. For the record, Geoff is the most safety conscious rally photographer I know, and will reject positions I would happily stand in and will move well before I would. He was in no danger at all in that video.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon

Yes I did use some shadow/highlight correction.:o

I agree that moving around a junction on an open stage is not a good idea if nothing else thereís a good chance you will wind the marshals up.

Just for the record I too donít think Geoff was anywhere near the rolled car you can see that when he went to help.

chrispons
21st of November 2011 (Mon), 13:04
My final word in this thread - if you don't like it, don't comment. In the case of Mr Ponsford, just don't comment.

Well fortunately we still have freedom of speech in this country,Mr Hubbard,but rest assured after viewing and generally making nice comments about your predictable shots for some while I now am relieved of that tedious duty.

Simon,
I am sure he is,however he constantly bleats about others ,of which I am one ,Rhodri is another who do move during events and try to get variety ,on safety we are on the same agenda ,but we are experienced rally togs,but there will always be danger,and often ill trained or non trained marshalls are the biggest danger to rally crews,not the togs or speckies.

Sadly Rally Photography is rarely worth contributing to on here now ,which is a shame, but life goes on ,and I wont shed any tears at not being on Mr Hubbards xmas card list .

Simon Harrison
21st of November 2011 (Mon), 13:21
Simon

Yes I did use some shadow/highlight correction.:o

Thought so. When you use it, make a note of the pixel size along the longest size of your image before you open the tool. Then with the shadow / highlight tool open, set the radius on the tool to 10% of the pixel dimension e.g if the photo you're editing is 4,500 pixels long, set the radius to 450 then make your adjustments. It makes the tool much less obvious in use.

Cheers,

Simon.

PS - the radius setting may not be available in Elements, I'm not sure.

Rhodri.Lew10
21st of November 2011 (Mon), 13:54
Thought so. When you use it, make a note of the pixel size along the longest size of your image before you open the tool. Then with the shadow / highlight tool open, set the radius on the tool to 10% of the pixel dimension e.g if the photo you're editing is 4,500 pixels long, set the radius to 450 then make your adjustments. It makes the tool much less obvious in use.

Cheers,

Simon.

That's an excellent tip Simon, thanks for sharing.

Stewart Laker
23rd of November 2011 (Wed), 07:06

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks for that Simon great tip.