PDA

View Full Version : Greyscale Beachday

danja
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 14:47
This shot is from a beachday I had last year, simple one of some kids running back from the surf, early evening.

Thought I'd try and make the sky a little more powerfull when I added the greyscale.

What do you think?

http://cruiseculture.net/media/albums/userpics/10001/Cornish%20Greyscale.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome :)

gmaize
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 15:12
Great image. But the kite is distracting.

Nice work anyhow.

--gmaize

danja
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 15:38
Thanks Gmaize...

I was gonig to try and clone it out, but left it to see what ppl said lol

Obviously might have been a good move to get rid of it first time round, I should know by now the little things that can bring a picture down ;)

Anyhow, thanks for looknig and comments have been noted :)

Dan

danja
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 15:53
Ok, here's a cropped down version, to bring the horizon off centre and the kite has now gone ;)

Thoughts?

http://cruiseculture.net/media/albums/userpics/10001/Cornish%20Greyscale%7E0.jpg

AthrunXT
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 16:56
If you could clone out all people but the little girl in the front it would look pretty cool...like an almost deserted paradise. But that might be a little too much alteration for some

danja
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 16:58
If you could clone out all people but the little girl in the front it would look pretty cool...like an almost deserted paradise. But that might be a little too much alteration for some

Yea, would be cool if it was done...only I'm not that good with cloning on that scale

Anyone else can feel free to have a go though ;)

Dan

gmaize
8th of November 2005 (Tue), 21:25
I like what you've done with the second post. A real gem.

--gmaize

Gary Fairhead
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 00:06
The second post is special. Excellent work.

danja
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 05:01
Thanks guys, great to hear some positive feedback.

It got rather nocked on another forum, and some guys attempt was to crop the whole image, bar the very lower part of the sky, where it meets the ground.

What are your thoughts on that? Obviously all you see is sky, but he as complaining about the ppl and 'dark' areas being irrelevant...

T.O.
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 07:50
The latest crop version is my favorite. Very good job post-processing,
thanx for sharing,
T.O.

danja
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 07:51
The latest crop version is my favorite. Very good job post-processing,
thanx for sharing,
T.O.

My pleasure :cool:

Thanks for the kind words

BottomBracket
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 09:33
The second pic is great (not that the first isn't). I love the texture of the clouds, they look like brushstrokes.

danja
9th of November 2005 (Wed), 09:53
The second pic is great (not that the first isn't). I love the texture of the clouds, they look like brushstrokes.

Yes, the clouds in this really make the pic :cool:

bikerider
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 05:47
This is a fine example of shooting against the light with the crop version being the better of the two I think. All the elements work in this, with the sky dominating and the people adding to the image rather than distracting, well done.
Roger.

danja
10th of November 2005 (Thu), 05:54
This is a fine example of shooting against the light with the crop version being the better of the two I think. All the elements work in this, with the sky dominating and the people adding to the image rather than distracting, well done.
Roger.

Wow, Roger - having looked at your site for some time, I feel really touched to hear such a positive and pleasing reply.

I took a gamble with shooting into the sun, but I wanted the sky to look powerfull under monochrome, and I think I acheived it to some extent.

Thanks for your kind words, means alot!

Dan :cool:

Merlot
11th of November 2005 (Fri), 01:32
Love the clouds and the immensity of the beach. Very good job!

danja
11th of November 2005 (Fri), 04:38
Thank you Merlot :)

Emenresu
12th of November 2005 (Sat), 19:40
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/DanCottle/CornishGreyscale0.jpg
i spent like 2 minutes cloning that, seems better to me, i have the same camera at the moment btw, saving for a rebel xt though

danja
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 06:34
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/DanCottle/CornishGreyscale0.jpg
i spent like 2 minutes cloning that, seems better to me, i have the same camera at the moment btw, saving for a rebel xt though

Nice one, does look good like that now! :cool:

rab3rd
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 08:53
Ok, I am new to this and find myself truly amazed by the removal of those different elements. All the shots look great. What programs are you using to do the cloning?

danja
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 08:58
The most popular program would be Adobde Photoshop!

I used that to convert all my images into greyscale, and play around with the colours etc, and Emenresu would have most likely used Photoshop to clone the people out :)

AthrunXT
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 09:59
Wow...I never thought anyone would be crazy enough to take my advice abotu cloning out everyone but the girl. Looks great in the end though. Congrats!

danja
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 10:13
Does look alright eh Athrun ;)

busbyea
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 12:42
Second shot much better. Cloned version less distracting
Great photo.

danja
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 12:55
Glad you like the shots Busby :)