View Full Version : A70 problems
20th of May 2003 (Tue), 10:47
First time poster and newbie (but wannabe expert[ish]) !! Digicam user, so apologies for potentially noddy question.
Just bought a A70 and it looks ok ...........but.
Can't transfer the images to a PC. Phoned up Canon and they reckon it may be a hardware problem.
1. PC recognises Camera, lists it in hardware profiles and using software I have taken pictures directly to PC from camera.
2. However, either using Std Canon software or 3rd party, the snaps I take on the CF card are either not recognised at all (cannon software) or recognised with a large yellow ? (3rd party software).
I have sent the camera back on the advice of the dealer and Canon, but has anyone else had this problem?
20th of May 2003 (Tue), 13:31
LOL. Why would you send it back so quick and then report the problem here??? Doesn't make sense. Or maybe you never wanted to purchase it to begin with. There was probably nothing wrong with it.
Many things can cause this...
A few thoughts...
1) Did you try to reformat the CompactFlash card? I bet that was the problem.
2) You may have also recieved a bad CF card or you didn't insert it in correctly.
3) Didn't canon tell you to reflash the card?
4) Did you try another CF card to see if that was the problem?
5) Can you use your USB ports correctly?
6) Do you have a CF card reader for your USB? This is the best way to troubleshoot a digicam. If you don't have one you should get one as you could have troubleshot it that way and figured it out for sure.
20th of May 2003 (Tue), 15:05
Thanks for the reply Logan. To answer some of your questions:
1. I was told to reformat by Canon.
2. I had the same problem with 2 CF cards
4. see 2
5. Yep work fine on other things
6. I intend to m8.
btw I hope to be getting a replacement (identical camera)
20th of May 2003 (Tue), 16:30
I hope this one works out Spartacus,.. let us know :)
It may sound funny,. but if this happened to me and the photos were o-kay on the card,. and it was the connection in the camera itself,. (ie a card reader would have still worked)
....I never would know there was a problem with my last camera or my new 10D!
I've never attached them directly via the cable :D
In light of this,. I think I'll try it tonight just to be sure :)
22nd of May 2003 (Thu), 02:45
Well just got a replacement..........and still the same p roblem. Looks like a software/PC problem. Will buy a reader today..........
22nd of May 2003 (Thu), 04:36
Did you install the drivers for the camera to the PC (TWAIN or 'the XP ones, can't remember what they're called)
Seems like a dumb question, but if all else works, it may be the PC cannot understand what the camera is saying.
22nd of May 2003 (Thu), 16:58
Well bought a reader and the problem is solved.
29th of May 2003 (Thu), 12:03
I new it. Just uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs the WIA driver currently in Windows and then download the newest WIA driver from Canon on their website. Install that one. Should solve the problem. Sounds like you either got a bad CD or you're USB drivers are not installed correctly.
vBulletin® v3.6.12, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.