PDA

View Full Version : Cake Smash tips

DevilsGrave
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 15:33
I would love to do a cake smash for my kid who turned 2 a month ago. What type of a cake should I order? A big cup cake or a regular cake? Also out of 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 18-135mm which one is the best for this session?

Also some of my inspirations are http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=940367&highlight=cake+smash
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1070888&highlight=cake+smash

Let me know what I should buy so my effort and time pays off. Thank you.

cdifoto
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 15:38
I didn't even know this was a "thing."

Nathan
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:01
Having no kids of my own... neither did I know that it was a "thing." Must be new. I suppose I could look into it for my wife's niece.

The concept is new to me, but I would probably go for some more traditional icing. The icing on the first set of photos looks like that fancy wedding stuff that looks nice... but doesn't make enough of a mess, in my opinion. I might look for a big cake with lots of sticky, wet icing that's super messy that would make for a fun time. As far as color goes... whatever works and goes with the outfit - complementary colors for the kid's outfit and icing, I suppose.

CanonGrl01
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:10
I'd definitely go with the simpler one, cuz having a sister who's a baker, let me tell you that first mom spent a bundle on that cake.

cdifoto
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:12
Having no kids of my own... neither did I know that it was a "thing." Must be new. I suppose I could look into it for my wife's niece.

I have nephews and they both made a mess with their cakes but we didn't make a big production photoshoot dedicated to it.

CanonGrl01
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:13
^lol

I like the idea of the plexiglass. So much to learn about studio photography, but I'm really starting to get into it.

cdifoto
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:15
I think it's overdone. Cute maybe but not particularly creative or fresh.

Nathan
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:22
I think it's overdone. Cute maybe but not particularly creative or fresh.

I think part of the problem is that it is a bit contrived. You essentially have to buy 2 cakes: one for the photoshoot and a second to actually enjoy at the party.

Then again, all studio work is contrived.

cdifoto
19th of December 2011 (Mon), 16:24
I think for me it's about not having uniqueness or originality to the location. If everything's on white or black or grey or you do everything on the same set all the time, it grows old fast. White backgrounds, whether having plexi or not, remind me of Sears.