PDA

View Full Version : Night Images

JPE Motorsport
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 10:13
Hi I'll be attending the britcar event next week at brands and was wondering what setting can i use on my Fuji (excuse my language lol) ss5500 as i have never used it in the dark

ur help would be greatly appriciated

Jamie:D

PhotosGuy
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 10:54
Can't help with the ss5500, but maybe you should just go out & play in traffic some night & see what works best? ;) Or try some shots of parked cars where you live. (It gives the neighbors someone to talk about) :D
I'd use a external flash set on "M" so the cam wouldn't adjust for a white vs a black car.

JPE Motorsport
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 11:00
i'll rephrase my thread any CONSTRUCTIVE advice would b a great help

PacAce
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 11:20
I think Frank did give you some constructive advice. The best way to learn is to practice and that's what Frank was suggesting.

Now, if you're a total beginner and need exact step by step details on how to do it, then you should make that point clear, too, so that we don't make any assumptions about your level of knowledge.

GSH
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 11:25

It seemed constructive with a bit of humour to me...relax a bit will ya.

I'd suggest ISO as high as possible and max aperture, even then you might be struggling to keep the shutter speeds up. If you have to resort to flash take care not to dazzle the drivers.

I had the 70-200 f2.8 on the 20D for the Britcar 24 hours and even with the ISO wound up to 3200 it was fun trying to get the shutter speeds i needed during the night.

PhotosGuy
13th of November 2005 (Sun), 11:29
I did make the assumption that you were experienced based on your username "JPE Motorsport", & you weren't one of the people who ask questions like, "How do I take a pic of a gerbil in a parachute?"
So, same answer + what Leo said still applies from me.

fromthebleachers
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 15:55
how do you take a pic of a gerbil in a parachute ?

I guess im one of "THOSE PEOPLE"

PhotosGuy
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 19:04
I guess im one of "THOSE PEOPLE" :D Read the "sticky"s, use the search & Google, try to figure it out yourself & you'll be OK. Almost every question has already been answered somewhere. ;)

PacAce
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 20:25
And if the question is in any way related to gerbils, Frank has either done a thorough step by step demo or experiment on it and posted his findings somewhere here or provided a link to one done by someone else. :mrgreen:

PhotosGuy
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 20:42
No, that was parachutes! :D

fromthebleachers
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 20:47
:D Read the "sticky"s, use the search & Google, try to figure it out yourself & you'll be OK. Almost every question has already been answered somewhere. ;)

IVe been on the internet long enuff to know ya dont google gerbils.

:0) Renda

PhotosGuy
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 20:51
ya dont google gerbils. First you should marinate them, then...

fromthebleachers
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 20:57
First you should marinate them, then...

This thread has digressed.

See when i grow up i can be a moderator

PhotosGuy
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 21:13
This thread has digressed. Yeah. It happens from time to time.
See when i grow up i can be a moderator Grow fast & I'll save you my spot! ;)

fromthebleachers
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 21:24
Grow fast & I'll save you my spot! ;)

Do i have to know how to use my camera or do i just need to make a alot of posts and point out when we have digressed. I think it may be a while befor I know my camera well. This site been very helpful. I didnt even know they made parachutes that small

PhotosGuy
14th of November 2005 (Mon), 22:37
I didnt even know they made parachutes that small My point exactly! Too much ambiguity in the question. It could have meant that, or been taken as, "I'm in a parachute & want to take a pic of ..."
Lots of questions to be asked in the right place or need more specific info for a good answer. For instance, a Fuji question might have been better in the "Small Compact Digital" forum, or "Sports" as there are a lot of guys there who shoot at Brands.
We don't know what that cam has as a max f-stop/ISO/etc (Canon forum!) & you didn't give us a clue, either.
We did our best with what you gave us to work with.

Cadwell
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 07:23
Nah... it would have got moved out of "Sharing Photos/Sports"; reason being a distinct lack of any photo sharing going on... The clue is in the forum title. ;)

As to the original question all I will say is be very cautious of using flash photography at a race track. This is not something for the inexperienced to attempt as the consequences of unsighting a driver could be extremely serious.

PhotosGuy
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 07:54
Nah... it would have got moved out of "Sharing Photos/Sports"; reason being a distinct lack of any photo sharing going on... The clue is in the forum title. Maybe, but I've seen a lot of posts there asking, "I'll be going to xxx & wondered..."
Maybe they're not sharing, but that's where the sportsshooters are & the posts weren't moved.

Cadwell
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 08:07
Maybe, but I've seen a lot of posts there asking, "I'll be going to xxx & wondered..."
Maybe they're not sharing, but that's where the sportsshooters are & the posts weren't moved.

That was then, this is now. They ARE being moved now, at least if I see them they are.

PhotosGuy
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 09:29
Well, I wouldn't. That's "where the sportsshooters are", & that's where they'll get the best answers. Other "Who's from Denver, etc" posts I can see moving.

peacock
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 09:34
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love moddy disputes on the open forum.

PhotosGuy
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 10:31
I love moddy disputes on the open forum. Opinions, not disputes. I should have taken it to a PM but then, where would you have found something else to brighten your day? :D

Cadwell
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 10:33
:lol:

peacock
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 10:41
I'm gonna post motorsports questions in the sports sharing and amuse myself watching you two move them around:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit

wanted to add it was in no way a dig !!! the best forums are the ones where mods are an active part of the posting and not annonymous hench men IMHO

PhotosGuy
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 10:56
I'm gonna post motorsports questions in the sports sharing and amuse myself watching you two move them around That's Glenn's forum, not mine. I'd just give you a "Time-out"! ;)

PacAce
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 14:51
That's Glenn's forum, not mine. I'd just give you a "Time-out"! ;)
Does that mean sitting in the corner with a funny cone shaped hat on? Or am I just showing my age with that question? :rolleyes:

PhotosGuy
15th of November 2005 (Tue), 18:55
I was thinking we should replace his avatar with one of a stick figure sitting in a corner with a funny cone shaped hat on. Just for a few weeks. And automatically send all his new posts directly to the recycle bin. For a start... :D

JPE Motorsport
16th of November 2005 (Wed), 14:33
Look I asked for advice and so far i have had none

Big_B
16th of November 2005 (Wed), 15:41
Cheer up! :D

Was there a particular aspect that you wanted advice on? If not, I think Frank gave you the best advice. Try just taking pictures of passing cars busses or whatever and see how they come out. How close do you need to get for the flash to be effective? (best try this with parked cars to avoid acidents!)

Post your results and we'll see what we can do to suggest improvements.

Can't help with the ss5500, but maybe you should just go out & play in traffic some night & see what works best? ;) Or try some shots of parked cars where you live. (It gives the neighbors someone to talk about) :D
I'd use a external flash set on "M" so the cam wouldn't adjust for a white vs a black car.