PDA

View Full Version : Recommended S100 NB-5L battery?

1KIND
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 16:51
I've been wanting a new P&S to replace my old Canon SD1000 and have been going back and forth between S95 and S100. I'm sad that I missed out on the deal for the S95 but love the wider and longer focal length and ability to zoom in video in the S100. So I just placed my order for a Canon S100 since I signed up for the Chase Freedom card which gives me $300 cashback if I spend $500 within the first 3 months. $430 for the camera with $13 cashback, free shipping and no tax for $417. After the $300 cashback, camera would technically cost me $217. Not bad at all.

During my search, I've been reading lots of reviews and comparisons between the S95 and S100 before I placed my order. I've read about the poor battery life and I'm not the type to purchase aftermarket batteries as I prefer OEM. I know the S100 uses NB-5L which is used in other P&S cameras.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've read people talking about Lenmar, Powwer (SterlingTek). I've also contemplated batteries from eBay that range between $4-7 and some have said they were pretty good.

I plan on posting my review on the battery I get as well as the camera on my site when I've gotten to play with it. I can't wait for the camera to come (mid/late January)

Jon
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 16:56
Sterlingtek has good batteries, but I got 2 original Canon ones when I got my SD990 demo model and a third with my SX230, so I haven't tried their NB5L.

1KIND
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 17:00
Sterlingtek has good batteries, but I got 2 original Canon ones when I got my SD990 demo model and a third with my SX230, so I haven't tried their NB5L.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Sterlingteks. About $19 including shipping from their site. Amazon is about the same but I get hit with tax.

Just wanted to see what other options there were out there or which one people preferred.

jay125
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 20:55
Sterlingteks, without question. i use them in my S100 and my 60D.

1KIND
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 21:47
You get the same amount of usage with the Sterlingteks like the OEM batteries?

jay125
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 21:56
yup. the sterlingteks, for me, perform as well if not sometimes better than the oem's. i've used the sterlingteks in my t1i and my S90, and now my 60D and my S100. i don't notice any difference in performance. they also use the canon charger to recharge.

1KIND
30th of December 2011 (Fri), 23:34
yup. the sterlingteks, for me, perform as well if not sometimes better than the oem's. i've used the sterlingteks in my t1i and my S90, and now my 60D and my S100. i don't notice any difference in performance. they also use the canon charger to recharge.
Thanks. Never heard of Sterlingteks so its always good to get additional info and recommendations from those who have had prior experience. Might just get mine off Amazon since I just sent in some traded books for Amazon credit.

bkdc
31st of December 2011 (Sat), 16:35
I always buy from Sterlingtek. I've used their batteries on all the digital cameras I've owned with flawless performance.

spear
1st of January 2012 (Sun), 02:27
I always like to buy the original Canon OEM batteries. Too many bad experiences with 3rd party batteries.