PDA

View Full Version : Slik CF Monopod?

PhotoRebel4
3rd of April 2012 (Tue), 08:16
I love my 055XPROB tripod, but it's not always feasible carrying for hours while walking or biking through the park. So I'm looking into a decent monopod. I wish I could afford that one monopod I'll never need to upgrade and that I can fend of wild animals and would-be thieves with :lol: but I can't right now with all the other stuff I need.

I want something light that will pack well and doesn't cost a fortune. I found this CF monopod by Slik.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/716864-REG/Slik_618_382_Pro_Pod_382_Carbon.html

It supports 11lbs (enough for my gripped XSi and 300 f/4), is carbon fiber, weighs less than a pound, and extends to 64" (which is perfect, as I'm about 67-68" tall), and only costs $100.

Has anybody used this? I'm open to other suggestions around the same price, maybe a bit more.

auto-clicker
3rd of April 2012 (Tue), 09:06
Don't hesitate it's a good support, i upgraded to a more expensive solution but honestly i haven't seen any difference :p

PhotoRebel4
3rd of April 2012 (Tue), 15:10
Don't hesitate it's a good support, i upgraded to a more expensive solution but honestly i haven't seen any difference :p

Thanks for the input!

PhotoRebel4
7th of April 2012 (Sat), 08:54
Just a little update. I ended up ordering the Slik 382 and it got here yesterday. It's light, fairly compact, and fairly sturdy. The only flex I can see is a bit in the joints between the sections, and mostly between the bottom two. I haven't used it in the field, but mounted my gripped XSi and 300 f/4 to it took some test shots around the house. It fits great on my new Kata backpack as well. I'd definitely recommend this product for $100.

spazzyone
8th of April 2012 (Sun), 14:24
thanks for posting! I've been looking for a really light, sturdy monopod myself and this looks to fit the bill.

EmaginePixel
8th of April 2012 (Sun), 20:39
A little late to comment but I have this pod for years and it's been awesome. it's so light I sometimes can just lift the whole setup and snap a couple of quick shots.