PDA

View Full Version : How many from Michigan?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

johnnybfan
6th of December 2005 (Tue), 21:08
Ok, I don't really like these threads about who's from where? But i figure that they do have some use in maybe meeting some other members so here goes.
Are you from Michigan? And if so, what part? Thanks

==========================

EDIT: If you want to start a "Lets meet to shoot" thread:

1/ Start a thread in: POTN Member Activities (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=80) and put a notice here.
Talk about what to shoot in Michigan (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=626294)

2/ I have a list of everyone from MI & almost everyone in the surrounding area. PM me & I'll give it to you so you can give them an extra heads up.

Frank

Jon, The Elder
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 13:35
Well - Me for sure and Photosguy too.

mrclark321
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 13:38
I am in Sarnia, Ontario. Right on the border!

Dan

Jon Foster
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 16:53
White Lake, Michigan. Just west of Pontiac and Waterford along the M-59 corridor.

Jon.

KirkM
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 16:58
Howell, Michigan here (Fowlerville is my mailing address).

Rigrider
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 17:11
Windsor, ON here... Right on the boarder as well.

L8r,

EricKonieczny
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 20:14
I actually live in Ohio, but only 1 mile from the Micgigan border, so I spend about equal time between MI and OH.

I am always up in the Detroit area for fun and photo shooots. :D

I am up

aam1234
7th of December 2005 (Wed), 21:09
Where ever you meet don't meet at a Lion's game, you'll be disappointed (look who's talking :rolleyes: )

OregonRebel
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 00:33
I was born in Detroit & have also lived in Taylor, Romeo, Yale, & Oscoda.

Jon, The Elder
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 11:08
JohnnyBfan - Are you FROM Mi. or are you IN Mi. - O.K. now what are you going to do with all this confidential and sensitive information - especially with Winter comin' on ?

HJMinard
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 11:08
Born and raised in Detroit and (later) Livonia. Currently reside in Marysville (I'm listed in Port Huron because more people are familiar with its location).

sdmaker
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 11:41
St. Louis Michigan here. Soon to be Ionia Michigan.

wolverinesr1
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 19:01
Where ever you meet don't meet at a Lion's game, you'll be disappointed

i dont know. their next home game sounds like it may be a fan revolt.due to a fan getting arrested for running thru the stands with a fire mcmillen sign at their last home game.lets just say there might be a lot of signs this time
not only that cincinnati is going to smoke them.
i'm definitely watching that one

Jon Foster
8th of December 2005 (Thu), 23:31
Born and raised in Detroit and (later) Livonia. Currently reside in Marysville (I'm listed in Port Huron because more people are familiar with its location).

Darn Jay, I'm just down the street from you! Well sorta...

Jon.

aam1234
9th of December 2005 (Fri), 02:58
i dont know. their next home game sounds like it may be a fan revolt.due to a fan getting arrested for running thru the stands with a fire mcmillen sign at their last home game.lets just say there might be a lot of signs this time
not only that cincinnati is going to smoke them.
i'm definitely watching that one

Yeah, heard about that. Poor fan, he was beaten up real bad.

johnnybfan
9th of December 2005 (Fri), 16:00
JohnnyBfan - Are you FROM Mi. or are you IN Mi. - O.K. now what are you going to do with all this confidential and sensitive information - especially with Winter comin' on ?

Yup, I'm born and raised in this great state of Michigan. Grew up in what is now Kentwood, MI and moved about 4 1/2 miles west when I got married. Now I live in 2 states - Wyoming and Michigan.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm already sick of shoveling snow this winter. Spring is too far away.:):)
Thanks for all of your replies. I was just wondering how many us were from MI that's all.I haven't yet met another member in person. But I'm planning on for sure taking care of that next June as I'll be in San Francisco for three days so I'm gonna have to go see Dante at the restaurant.

netadmin22
9th of December 2005 (Fri), 17:37
I live in the U.P. (not too far from Sable Falls)

HJMinard
9th of December 2005 (Fri), 18:00
Darn Jay, I'm just down the street from you! Well sorta...

Jon.

I guess ... sort of. Where's White Lake?? :confused: :) Is that over near Pontiac?

Jon Foster
9th of December 2005 (Fri), 19:03
Yep, just past Pontiac.

Jon.

wireburn
11th of December 2005 (Sun), 03:37
Sturgis, MI here. S.W. just off the IN border

jwilson
15th of December 2005 (Thu), 15:13
Grew up in Pentwater, Michigan. Now live in South Haven, Michigan - I just gotta be on the water!!!!

johnnybfan
15th of December 2005 (Thu), 15:30
Grew up in Pentwater, Michigan. Now live in South Haven, Michigan - I just gotta be on the water!!!!

Then it's a good thing you live in West Michigan.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: South Haven is a beautiful place.

KirkM
15th of December 2005 (Thu), 16:49

Wow, haven't been to Marysville in a long time!! I lived in Smiths Creek for a few years :)

PhotosGuy
16th of December 2005 (Fri), 09:23
Troy, N of Detroit.
St. Louis Michigan here. Soon to be Ionia Michigan. HEY! I grew up there, class of '58!
When I "organized" the POTN Waterford shoot (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77166), there were about 20 people I found from MI & Sarnia. Since then I've added 14 more. We should have a much bigger turnout this year. How about June 5th, or 26th this year?

coldspot
18th of December 2005 (Sun), 19:48
Hello, just north of Gladwin.

tofin
14th of January 2006 (Sat), 22:32
Hi all...Just northeast of Grand Rapids here

volleybrad
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 19:35
Born & Raised in the Motor City. Living in Auburn Hills now. :)

Jon Foster
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 21:47
Troy, N of Detroit.
HEY! I grew up there, class of '58!
When I "organized" the POTN Waterford shoot (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77166), there were about 20 people I found from MI & Sarnia. Since then I've added 14 more. We should have a much bigger turnout this year. How about June 5th, or 26th this year?

We'll try for it again this year. It was fun...

Jon.

J T
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 08:25
Yup, I'm born and raised in this great state of Michigan. Grew up in what is now Kentwood, MI and moved about 4 1/2 miles west when I got married. Now I live in 2 states - Wyoming and Michigan.:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure the "Wyoming, Michigan" throws a lot of people! It's funny driving down the highway on the west side of Grand Rapids and seeing "Wyoming - Next Exit". :D

I've always wondered why they'd name a city after a state. At least in Indiana they put "City" behind "Michigan." Oh, I can't forget "Alaska, MI" just southeast of Grand Rapids. I guess the early settlers were a little funny like that when it came to naming towns. :lol:

zeker
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 11:24
Not from Michigan, but want to be! I have relatives in Muskegon and I try to talk the wife into staying everytime we go for a visit. I almost had her convinced that the temperature never gets below 35 in the winter, but then she saw a picture of Lake Michigan frozen over. What a great state!

CoolToolGuy
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 15:38
For the time being, every weekend I can say I'm from Traverse City - spending time up there helping out with a family issue. Its a really nice town.

Have Fun,

Jon Foster
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 16:26
Yeah, I'm sure the "Wyoming, Michigan" throws a lot of people! It's funny driving down the highway on the west side of Grand Rapids and seeing "Wyoming - Next Exit". :D

I've always wondered why they'd name a city after a state. At least in Indiana they put "City" behind "Michigan." Oh, I can't forget "Alaska, MI" just southwest of Grand Rapids. I guess the early settlers were a little funny like that when it came to naming towns. :lol:

Don't forget about Hell, MI! :rolleyes:

Jon.

AussiePup
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 20:34
Hey just found this thread.....

Oxford Michigan (about 15 minutes North of the Palace of Auburn Hills and 30 South East of Flint)

jwilson
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 22:33
Hey, Rick in Traverse City...while you're up there, you really need to check out The Wooden Gallery if you haven't already. Really cool mounting process that is beyond description.

Jeff

CoolToolGuy
8th of March 2006 (Wed), 23:53
Hey, Rick in Traverse City...while you're up there, you really need to check out The Wooden Gallery if you haven't already. Really cool mounting process that is beyond description.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I'll be up there this weekend. I'm staying on Old Mission Peninsula, but on a trip to town I might have to make a small detour. I looked at their Web site, but I'm sure that doesn't do it justice.

Have Fun,

CoolToolGuy
11th of March 2006 (Sat), 20:34

Jeff

Well, Jeff, you were right about that - I stopped there today and his mounting system is way cool. He gave me a great deal on an image I have known for years. I'm going to look through my images and find one or more to take back to him for mounting. The absence of glass makes a world of difference!

The one I got is 'Solitude' - a tree with a fence in the snow. If you've seen it before you'll know it.

Have Fun,

PhantomTA
1st of April 2006 (Sat), 19:52
Metro Detroit here.. Just got a new 350D and have no idea how to use it

KirkM
2nd of April 2006 (Sun), 10:09
Phantom TA,

Weren't you a moderator at camaroz28.com ? I hang there once in awhile as Captain Kirk. That looks like the old Detroit Speedworks dyno at your site :)

Pamela107
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 22:19
I live in Downriver , Michigan

If there is a get together again this year, I hope to make it this time.

J T
20th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:55
The one I got is 'Solitude' - a tree with a fence in the snow. If you've seen it before you'll know it.

Have Fun,

Winston David Lorenz??

CoolToolGuy
20th of April 2006 (Thu), 21:09
Winston David Lorenz??

I don't know the photographer. As it happens, I am in Traverse City as I type this, and the print is in Baltimore. I'll look for it when I get home.

Have Fun,

Travis F
29th of June 2006 (Thu), 22:17
Just found this thread. Sorry to bring it back from the dead.

I am from Battle CreeK, Mi. Smallish town halfway between Chicago and Detroit along I-94.

Travis

Issac Brock
29th of June 2006 (Thu), 22:48
I am in Grosse Pointe, which is the first city north of Detroit. This fall, I will be at Wayne State University, in Detroit.

ArcticEOS
29th of June 2006 (Thu), 23:45
I am in Grosse Pointe, which is the first city north of Detroit. This fall, I will be at Wayne State University, in Detroit.

Im just north of Detroit on 12 Mile. :cool:

beachgirl
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 11:30
I am originally from Onaway Michigan. Left there when I was 6 and have only been back once when I was 11. It was a perfect place to be a kid, lots of trees to climb, had a pond and a creek right behind my house. And the winter was the best, we built igloos, went ice skating, sleding...kid paradise. But now that I'm older I'm soooooo happy to live in sunny CA.

beachgirl
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 11:32
Im just north of Detroit on 12 Mile. :cool:

My grama lived in detroit, we spent a lot of time there too. Somewhere near 8mile.

fortinaa
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 18:19
Sterling Heights, MI here.

XMX
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 18:25
Brighton, Mi. Come to Big George's in Ann Arbor to buy equipment and support me :)

NickSimcheck
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 18:48
Howell, Michigan here (Fowlerville is my mailing address).

That's Freaky.

I've seen your posts on the F-body forum too, I drive a white '02 Firehawk with a black bird on the front plate cover, ever seen it? I live at Latson & M-59.

XMX, do you own a camera store in Ann Arbor? Give me directions and I'll stop by sometime, I wouldn't mind supporting a local + POTN member.

XMX
2nd of July 2006 (Sun), 19:04
It's been there a LONG time somewhere around 30 years. My family owned Brookside Photo in Brighton which you may of heard of or been to! However a few years ago we closed it down, and my mother and I moved to Big George's because we have been good friends with the company for a long time.

wolverinesr1
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 11:29
Brighton, Mi. Come to Big George's in Ann Arbor to buy equipment and support me :)

i just went to Big Georges website.it seems they are considerably higher than B&H.is there any wiggle room on their prices?

NickSimcheck
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 17:35
If your asking me, your asking the wrong guy. But if your asking XMX, then I guess I don't have to ask that question myself.

Adray? I think is the name of a camera store chain here in michigan, they wiggled to $1650 on a 70-200mm IS. But after taxes it was worth it for me to just stick with B&H, but if you needed something in a hurry - Just nicely tell them what b&H has it listed for and they'll come pretty close.

XMX
3rd of July 2006 (Mon), 20:20
That's because Adrays is going under they only have one official store left :)

Jon Foster
4th of July 2006 (Tue), 13:05
I grew up by the original Adray store in Dearborn. They always had super high prices so I never spent much there.

Jon.

HectorsGTI
4th of July 2006 (Tue), 13:21
I'm just north of Grand Rapids.

RAitch
6th of July 2006 (Thu), 21:30
Another vote for Sarnia... right on the border of Port Huron MI.

Jon Foster
6th of July 2006 (Thu), 23:29
We were just up in Sarnia a few weekends ago... We're going to camp at the campground on the river one weekend this summer too. On the US side, in the state campground.

Jon.

HJMinard
10th of July 2006 (Mon), 00:20
We were just up in Sarnia a few weekends ago... We're going to camp at the campground on the river one weekend this summer too. On the US side, in the state campground.

I was in Sarnia today for Ribfest ... that was some good eatin'.

Jon ... I assume you're talking about Algonac State Park (on the St. Clair River) or Lakeport State Park (on Lake Huron)?

RAitch
10th of July 2006 (Mon), 18:51
You going this week for Bayfest? Or should I say CountryFest?

Jon Foster
10th of July 2006 (Mon), 23:32
I was in Sarnia today for Ribfest ... that was some good eatin'.

Jon ... I assume you're talking about Algonac State Park (on the St. Clair River) or Lakeport State Park (on Lake Huron)?

Ribfest? That sounds really good right now... Umm, Algonac State Park is the one. We are hoping to head up there in the next week or two.

Jon.

HJMinard
11th of July 2006 (Tue), 00:35
You going this week for Bayfest? Or should I say CountryFest?

Ummmm ... no. Not at all a country fan. They used to get some decent rock acts for Bayfest - nothing but cowpoke music now.

RAitch
11th of July 2006 (Tue), 08:41
We're going Friday for Collective Soul and Everclear... the only non-country night.
I wouldn't expect that this is a trend... I think it's just the way it worked out this year.

I think Sarnia has a "Fest" every weekend in July and August. Actually, this weekend will be busy... with Mackinaw/Mackinac and BayFest.

HJMinard
11th of July 2006 (Tue), 23:09
Yes, a big weekend in Port Huron also ... particularly with "Boat Night" on Friday. The Port Huron to Mackinac race is one of the biggest - if not THE biggest - annual events in Port Huron. Have fun at the concert !!

Jon Foster
11th of July 2006 (Tue), 23:58
If we head up to Port Huron this weekend to get some shots of the boats, what's our chance? I mean will we be able to park and get to the water?

Jon.

HJMinard
12th of July 2006 (Wed), 09:57
If we head up to Port Huron this weekend to get some shots of the boats, what's our chance? I mean will we be able to park and get to the water?

Thursday or Friday you can park and walk right down to the riverfront (Black River), where all the sailboats will be docked. On those late afternoon/evenings - Family Night (Thurs.) and Boat Night (Fri. - roudier party) - you can walk right on the river boardwalk and get all sorts of nautical themed and/or people pictures.

If you're talking about shots of the boats on the open water, that's a much more difficult proposition. The race begins Saturday morning at 11:30 a.m. (start times for various classes range from 11:30 to 2:50 p.m.). The starting line is mostly inaccessible, but you can get shots of the boats as they "parade" up the St. Clair River and the southern end of Lake Huron. Some possible viewing areas: Lakeside Park (parking is limited and there is a fee - or you can park at Port Huron Northern High School and walk a half mile to Lakeside); Pine Grove Park; boardwalk near Blue Water Bridge; Lighthouse Park; boardwalk areas downtown.

RAitch
12th of July 2006 (Wed), 11:13
And there are several marinas in Sarnia as well.
Plus, there could be more parking spaces on our side too... haven't really see the American side.
From what I remember, more boats seem to stick to the Canadian side anyway when they're going up the river since the current isn't as strong there.

Once you've parked, there's no issue getting to the water... but human traffic can be pretty thick.

Jon Foster
12th of July 2006 (Wed), 14:36
I think we might try it...

Jon.

RAitch
12th of July 2006 (Wed), 17:30
Oh, and pancake breakfast is available... kind of a tradition thing.
A lot of the big boats make it out early. If you show up the night before, you can cruise the marinas and find where the serious competitors are.

PhantomTA
8th of August 2006 (Tue), 17:01
Phantom TA,

Weren't you a moderator at camaroz28.com ? I hang there once in awhile as Captain Kirk. That looks like the old Detroit Speedworks dyno at your site :)

I still am actually...

The pic of my car on the dyno on my website is at powercurv actually... lol way back in 98 :)

according to jim
6th of September 2006 (Wed), 04:30
Farmington Hills, MI

Jim

TenaCJed
15th of September 2006 (Fri), 06:59
Clinton Township, MI here (close to Lakesid Mall, about 17 miles north of Detroit). If anyone knows of some good nature area's, let me know. I have checked out Stoney Creek and Indian Springs State Parks so far. Stoney Creek recently released some juvenile Osprey's.

PhotosGuy
15th of September 2006 (Fri), 08:39
Detroit Zoo?
Detroit Zoo butterfly shots. (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162241)

Raptors this weekend at Lake Erie Metro Park (www.smrr.net)

Don't forget to check out Big Beaver RD., too! :D

EDIT: There's some lake wetlands very near to where we'll be in the link below "Michigan, Ohio, Sarnia, Ontario Race weekend III"

TenaCJed
15th of September 2006 (Fri), 11:04
Thanks for the reminder on hawk watch, I totally forgot about it. I have a calendar for the metro parks and I saw that a couple of months ago.

Jon Foster
15th of September 2006 (Fri), 14:15
If you were out here in our area (Indian Springs) you could have stopped by Pontiac Lake or headed to Highland or even Kensington where there are more Deer than cars and people. Kensington is the best bet though...

Jon.

Jon, The Elder
15th of September 2006 (Fri), 18:15
Roseville and East Pointe have a large rat population.

HJMinard
18th of September 2006 (Mon), 12:11
Clinton Township, MI here (close to Lakesid Mall, about 17 miles north of Detroit). If anyone knows of some good nature area's, let me know. I have checked out Stoney Creek and Indian Springs State Parks so far. Stoney Creek recently released some juvenile Osprey's.

The Port Huron State Game Area (about 45 minutes away for you) has a very diverse wildlife population, including a large population of deer, coyote, and wild turkey.

TenaCJed
18th of September 2006 (Mon), 15:16
Thanks for the suggestions all. I almost went to Kensington State Park, but have not yet.

I think I will avoid Warren!!! Actually I work in Warren.

Have not thought of Port Huron, I will have to look into that.

Jon Foster
18th of September 2006 (Mon), 19:21
John, Kensington is a great area to go. Stay in the rear of the park towards the nature area and you'll see lots of deer. Most of the time you can drive along the back road that goes over the big hill and see lots of activity right from your car. If you stop and a ranger comes along they will make you move along but it's usually not a big deal. You can also park in the lot along that section of road and walk around. Take some snacks and something to drink. It's easy to burn up several hours just walking around and snapping shots. The best time seems to be later in the day so it's harder to get good shots but there are huge bucks everywhere. Plenty of doe too...

Jon.

volleybrad
20th of September 2006 (Wed), 14:28

I like to go to Shiawassee Wildlife Refuge up in the Saginaw area. Guaranteed to see plenty of deer there. There are also a lot of waterfowl in the spring/fall during the migration.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Shiawassee/

Statement
21st of September 2006 (Thu), 19:02
I stay in the dorms at Wayne State. Detroit!

volleybrad
22nd of September 2006 (Fri), 07:27
I stay in the dorms at Wayne State. Detroit!

Do you study under Jim Raymo or Marilyn Zimmerman there?

Dog's New Clothes
12th of November 2006 (Sun), 20:57
Grosse Pointe! But now I'm going to college in Washington DC. I never thought I'd say it, but I kinda miss The Mitten.

Statement
20th of November 2006 (Mon), 16:13
Do you study under Jim Raymo or Marilyn Zimmerman there?

I'm going to take a ridiculously beginner photo class with raymo next semester, why?

Yanis
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 08:17
Detroit Zoo?
Detroit Zoo butterfly shots. (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162241)

Raptors this weekend at Lake Erie Metro Park (http://www.smrr.net)

Don't forget to check out Big Beaver RD., too! :D

EDIT: There's some lake wetlands very near to where we'll be in the link below "Michigan, Ohio, Sarnia, Ontario Race weekend III"

I wanted to go today to take my new 70-200 f2.8L IS lens but I stumbled upon this info :eek: : http://www.detroitzoo.org/Visitors/Photo_Policy/Photo_Policy/

So, if anyone knows a good spot during the winter to take some shots, I would really appreciate the info.

By the way, Dodge Park is the closest park to me. Freedom Hill, then Metro Beach.

Peace,
Yanis :D

Pamela107
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 09:02
Yanis

Are you willing to go outside?
Have you heard of the Crosswinds marsh ?
http:www.waynecounty.com/parks/cwinds_park.htm

There is a bald eagle and other animals with alot of trails - and very cold today :)

Yanis
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 12:14
Yanis

Are you willing to go outside?
Have you heard of the Crosswinds marsh ?
http:www.waynecounty.com/parks/cwinds_park.htm (http://www.waynecounty.com/parks/cwinds_park.htm)

There is a bald eagle and other animals with alot of trails - and very cold today :)

Pamela107,

I can't go very far today but I will definitely keep this park in my list. Thanks a lot!!! :D

Peace,

Pamela107
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 18:30
Photosguy

Ok
I know this is late-
I went to Lake Erie Metro Park on that exact date as your post.
You can see some photos of the Lotus / water lilly in the flower gallery.
Were you there that day?

NickSimcheck
10th of February 2007 (Sat), 23:40
John, Kensington is a great area to go.
Jon.

Also don't forget that Island Lake is just a mile south on Kensington Rd.

I work another mile south of that at Kensington and Silver Lake, small world.

Jon Foster
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 16:26
The beginning of Deer archery season was great at Kensington but I haven't seen much action lately. But then again I haven't had many chances to get out there lately. Island Lake Rec is ok too but you need to do a lot of hiking to find anything.

Yesterday we went rabbit hunting. There were six of us including my son and oldest daughter. The temps soared to about 19 degrees so I thought I'd shoot with a camera instead of my shotgun. I used Jonathan's A95 for ease so I could also hunt if the chance came up etc... Out of the six of us my daughter was the only one who didn't fall through the ice when we were crossing a small lake. Go figure... Just a hundred yards away there were two guys ice fishing too. After being dumped into the sub-freezing water we high tailed it back to the truck before we got into serious trouble. We were freezing up before we got off the ice too. Here's a shot of my buddy helping his son get back on top of the ice before the rest of us broke through. Note, it doesn't even look like we're on frozen water!

http://home.comcast.net/~kookala/Oops.jpg

Jon.

Jon Foster
11th of February 2007 (Sun), 16:28
I should have noted this was at Highland Rec. too...

Jon.

TenaCJed
12th of February 2007 (Mon), 10:22
I wanted to go today to take my new 70-200 f2.8L IS lens but I stumbled upon this info :eek: : http://www.detroitzoo.org/Visitors/Photo_Policy/Photo_Policy/

So, if anyone knows a good spot during the winter to take some shots, I would really appreciate the info.

By the way, Dodge Park is the closest park to me. Freedom Hill, then Metro Beach.

Peace,

I like to go to Stoney Creek Metro Park. I have also gone to Indian Springs Metro Park and plan on going to Kensington Metro Park. Get a metro park sticker and check out the website for different locations. It sounds like we are in the same area, Dogde Park is about 10 minutes away from me.

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_stony_creek.php

Yanis
12th of February 2007 (Mon), 10:51
I like to go to Stoney Creek Metro Park. I have also gone to Indian Springs Metro Park and plan on going to Kensington Metro Park. Get a metro park sticker and check out the website for different locations. It sounds like we are in the same area, Dogde Park is about 10 minutes away from me.

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_stony_creek.php

Thanks for the info John. I will definitely consider getting an annual sticker. :D

I currently have a 70-200 f2.8L IS. Would you recommend getting a T-Con for it if I'm going to be shooting birds? If so, 1.4x or 2x? :confused:

Peace,

TenaCJed
13th of February 2007 (Tue), 06:54
Thanks for the info John. I will definitely consider getting an annual sticker. :D

I currently have a 70-200 f2.8L IS. Would you recommend getting a T-Con for it if I'm going to be shooting birds? If so, 1.4x or 2x? :confused:

Peace,

I have the Sigma 100-300 F4 and always use my 1.4 TC, but still want more reach. I have gotten some pretty good pics of some smaller birds though. These are some recent pics I have gotten at Metro Beach and Stoney Creek with the Sigma. The amount of crop on these varies from not much to close to half.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/TenaCJed/Metro%20Beach/2007-1-20/
http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/TenaCJed/Stoney%20Creek%20Metro%20Park/2007-1-17/

PhotosGuy
13th of February 2007 (Tue), 22:12
Photosguy

Ok
I know this is late-
I went to Lake Erie Metro Park on that exact date as your post.
You can see some photos of the Lotus / water lilly in the flower gallery.
Were you there that day? I was there Sept 16th., for about 2-3 hours. Then I had a job to shoot farther downriver. I wanted to go today to take my new 70-200 f2.8L IS lens but I stumbled upon this info : http://www.detroitzoo.org/Visitors/P.../Photo_Policy/ Yanis, we're shooting there this Saturday & I've never had a problem.
Zoo: "1st Can-Am shoot." (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=265348)

motocrossnut34
13th of February 2007 (Tue), 22:28
Born in Holland Michigan. Marched the tulip time parades all thru school in the band. Went to Ferris State College. Dated a girl from Grosse Ile and moved to Dallas, Texas in 1982 and have been here ever since. Need to go back up there again some day. Much better picturesque things to shoot up there then there is down here in Dallas, that is for sure.

Yanis
13th of February 2007 (Tue), 22:43
I was there Sept 16th., for about 2-3 hours. Then I had a job to shoot farther downriver. Yanis, we're shooting there this Saturday & I've never had a problem.
Zoo: "1st Can-Am shoot." (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=265348)

Thanks for the invite PhotosGuy. I'm booked this Saturday (family obligations). :(
In regards to the photo shoot policy, I guess I just got paranoid. I just didn't want to attract anyone's attention walking around with my camera and 70-200 lens.:oops:

I'll hook up some other time. Have fun!!! :D

Peace,

P.S.
Post some pics of the shoot if it's not too much to ask.:)

turaund1
13th of March 2007 (Tue), 04:27
hey detroit here

PhotosGuy
24th of June 2007 (Sun), 10:15
<Bump> to see who else is out there! ;)

Want to go to the races with us?
Michigan, Ohio, Sarnia, Ontario Race Weekend V. (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=339135)

locky
24th of June 2007 (Sun), 14:51
Montague here. Between Muskegon and Ludington on Lake Michigan. Would love to meet up with other inspiring or professional photographers.

yup talon
25th of June 2007 (Mon), 09:44
I'm from good ol Bay City, have lived here all my life. I'll have to look back thru this thread to see if i can find anyone else from the tri-city area.

And just cause some people in here may appreciate it, check out a virtual tour i made of Bay City's riverwalk...
http://www.rdhphotos.com/web-content/images/VirtualTour/Riverwalk/riverwalk_ad.gif
click me (http://www.riverwalk.RDHphotos.com)

coldspot
25th of June 2007 (Mon), 10:21
Gladwin MI here, just north of. Between Gladwin and West Branch.

Duane

audit
21st of September 2007 (Fri), 14:45
Hey just found this thread.....

Oxford Michigan (about 15 minutes North of the Palace of Auburn Hills and 30 South East of Flint)

Same here, Grew up in Waterford and Moved out to Oxford with my wife and 2 kids. It's great out here, no city lights and quiet as can be.

Sherylhs
22nd of September 2007 (Sat), 14:01
Hey everyone, I was born and raised in Detroit. Now I live in Auburn Hills (north of Pontiac) and spend several weekends a summer in Gladwin.

I'm glad to see so many folks here from Michigan.

Jon Foster
25th of September 2007 (Tue), 00:09
We need to do another Michigan meet before the end of the year...

Jon.

NickSimcheck
26th of September 2007 (Wed), 08:13
Where abouts?

EmmyLou
26th of September 2007 (Wed), 10:44
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd add my location too...

I'm in Sterling Heights!

Jon Foster
27th of September 2007 (Thu), 17:22
Where abouts?

I don't know, anyone have any ideas?

Maybe next year we can do the Renaissance Festival. The photo ops are fantastic!

Jon.

AussiePup
27th of September 2007 (Thu), 18:51
Same here, Grew up in Waterford and Moved out to Oxford with my wife and 2 kids. It's great out here, no city lights and quiet as can be.

Were in Oxford? I am in Waterstone (Hometown Village).

Also couldn't help notice the name...are you a auditor?? - I am a CPA, so I had to ask.

AussiePup
27th of September 2007 (Thu), 18:52
I don't know, anyone have any ideas?

Maybe next year we can do the Renaissance Festival. The photo ops are fantastic!

Jon.

I think that is a great Idea....

Does any of the POTN Michigan members belong to any local camera clubs or anything along that line....I would be kinda nice for us to have some sort of meet on some sort of frequency...

NickSimcheck
28th of September 2007 (Fri), 10:21
I was at a seminar and somebody told me about www.glip.org (http://www.glip.org/) and www.mppa.org (http://www.mppa.org/).

Anybody memebers of these?

Jon, The Elder
28th of September 2007 (Fri), 14:29
Seems just a bit too 'formal' for me.

Interested in something more in the 'weekend shoot' kind of relaxed atmosphere. We are going to the Brookfield Zoo (Chicago) the weekend of Oct 13. We have a 'farm shoot the previous weekend.

Jon Foster
28th of September 2007 (Fri), 19:02
Jon's right, the weekend stuff is fun and relaxed. Well worth it.

I don't know of any local clubs. The only things we've done as a group or possibly "clubish" is hang out with the other POTNer's for the weekend shoots. It's actually kind of nice knowing these guys too. Everyone is friendly and we always have fun...

Jon.

dave kadolph
2nd of October 2007 (Tue), 19:40

Count us in!

On the lakeshore between Holland and Grand Haven--Home of the worlds nicest beaches and "squeaking" sand---when they aren't covered with all that %&* snow

NickSimcheck
2nd of October 2007 (Tue), 21:24

Count us in!

On the lakeshore between Holland and Grand Haven--Home of the worlds nicest beaches and "squeaking" sand---when they aren't covered with all that %&* snow

Up north has squeaky sand too, what causes that I wonder? is it the grain size or what?

locky
6th of October 2007 (Sat), 13:37
Hi Dave, Montague here. Any other West Michiganders?

saab
23rd of October 2007 (Tue), 12:51
I live in Spring Lake (just north of Gran d Haven) and work in Grand Rapids. Been here all my life, and hope I never have to leave!

scotthidley
23rd of October 2007 (Tue), 14:05
Were in Oxford? I am in Waterstone (Hometown Village).

Also couldn't help notice the name...are you a auditor?? - I am a CPA, so I had to ask.

I used to live on Glenmoore Dr. it's a nice area. I left town for 2 weeks to come back and realize I left the front door unlocked, and had no problems at all. It's very hard to find a place like that anymore. I doubt I'll return to Oxford when I come back to Michigan though. I like some parts of Clarkston, but as our company just purchased another company, I'm sure some offices will be moving.

Jon, The Elder
23rd of October 2007 (Tue), 14:26
Funny how we can't get a 'Michigan' shoot together. Sharon and I just drove over to Chicago to do a Zoo shoot (Brookfield). Very nice bunch of folks. Michigan just can't seem to get a group together.

Exitspeed
23rd of October 2007 (Tue), 14:31
I'll be in Detroit in Jan for the Autoshow.

I'm meeting up with some other photographers to do some abandoned building shooting downtown.

My avatar photo is from inside the GM building from like 4 years ago.

jwilson
23rd of October 2007 (Tue), 15:50
Live in South Haven, spend alot of time in Pentwater!!!!!

The "best" Michigan is West Michigan!!!!!!!

Jeff

TenaCJed
24th of October 2007 (Wed), 06:04
I would be up for a POTN outing. I do mostly wildlife shooting (birds) so I really don't have any good recommendations on what to do though.

scotthidley
24th of October 2007 (Wed), 09:07
I would be up for a POTN outing. I do mostly wildlife shooting (birds) so I really don't have any good recommendations on what to do though.

Sounds like a possible gathering at Stoney Creeks nature center, and or a kanooing session as there's some cranes that like feeding around the lake.

TenaCJed
24th of October 2007 (Wed), 10:43
Sounds like a possible gathering at Stoney Creeks nature center, and or a kanooing session as there's some cranes that like feeding around the lake.

I like going to stoney, didn't get out much this year though. Did get to see the ospreys a couple of times though.

Jon Foster
2nd of November 2007 (Fri), 18:29
I work a mile from Stoney Creek...

Hey, if you guys do a January photoshoot downtown let me know...

Jon.

tekkie
3rd of November 2007 (Sat), 19:07
a meet would be cool, in Jan it will definetly be cool lol

Chris Dana
4th of November 2007 (Sun), 19:24
I'm in Mason, just south of East Lansing.

stathunter
6th of November 2007 (Tue), 07:23
I can't remember if I have ever posted in here. I am from Sterling Heights (17 & Ryan) But have lived the past 10 years in the Flint area--- by Grand Blanc (where they play the Buick Open)---I always have to mention that location to my friends because most from Metro Detroit have nooo clue otherwise.

A Michigan get together would be nice.

TenaCJed
6th of November 2007 (Tue), 17:28
I can't remember if I have ever posted in here. I am from Sterling Heights (17 & Ryan) But have lived the past 10 years in the Flint area--- by Grand Blanc (where they play the Buick Open)---I always have to mention that location to my friends because most from Metro Detroit have nooo clue otherwise.

A Michigan get together would be nice.

Not very far from you, I am at 17 and Garfield.

Yanis
6th of November 2007 (Tue), 20:29
WOW!!! 17 and Dodge Park here.:shock:

Peace,

TenaCJed
7th of November 2007 (Wed), 06:57
WOW!!! 17 and Dodge Park here.:shock:

Peace,

Now that is pretty darn close there.

Jon Foster
8th of November 2007 (Thu), 19:53
I was downtown (Detroit) today with my students for the Yes Expo at Ford Field and noted a bunch of places I'd like to shoot in B&W some day...

Jon.

heymeng
9th of November 2007 (Fri), 11:39
new to potn...im near 15 and jefferson.

David B12
17th of November 2007 (Sat), 18:08
I'm in Traverse City. The post about the Wooden Gallery was spot on. Anyone visiting here should check it out. I have several photos that Mike mounted for me. He always has time for questions.
If you're headed this way, P.M. or email me if you need suggestions for places to photograph. Lots of great places to see; Sleeping Bear Dunes, Fishtown, etc.

Jon, The Elder
19th of November 2007 (Mon), 05:38
Funny......132+ responses and still no organized get-together. Sharon and I drove over to Chicago a couple weeks back, for a Brookfield Zoo shoot. Group shoots can be fun.

PhotosGuy
19th of November 2007 (Mon), 08:17
Stay with the herd long enough and you'll end up as Dog Food............ http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/smilies/rotfl2.gif Which explains why John doesn't show up here often!

HeatherSik
12th of December 2007 (Wed), 14:21
I know that this is an old thread but I wanted to say I am in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I am new here so I would not have the faintest idea on how to put a group shot together. So if anyone does can someone please PM me and let me know. I would love to meet other POTN members..

PhotosGuy
12th of December 2007 (Wed), 19:43
I am new here so I would not have the faintest idea on how to put a group shot together. Welcome to POTN!
Find something to do. The Air Zoo might draw some people.
Put a notice here & start a thread in: POTN Member Activities (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
Good luck!

SwiftFootTim
15th of December 2007 (Sat), 14:24
Yep, I'm from Central Michigan here.

carianoff
15th of December 2007 (Sat), 14:35
Metro Detroit, Get-togethers? Oh wait i forgot, we're all unfriendly. Seriously do people ever get together? Be it POTN or other cool stuff like exposure Detroit members?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/exposuredetroit/

PhotosGuy
15th of December 2007 (Sat), 15:06
Seriously do people ever get together? Sometimes. I already have two meets planned for next year, but I'd go to that exhibit if you want to organize it. ;)

HeatherSik
15th of December 2007 (Sat), 23:46
I would love to come together for a shot. What kid of shoot are you talking about.. I like to work with people and scenery and animals... So I will be watching to see if anyone sets up someting. Good luck. hope that can all get together soon... Hugs,,

randy98mtu
16th of December 2007 (Sun), 17:43
I just joined and I'm from Michigan. I'm in Northville actually.

I'm also curious how a group shoot works. I don't know anyone else into photography so even just getting together to hang out and talk photography would be great!

I previously had a Canon SD700IS (still do actually!) This summer I got a 40D with the 28-135. I was frustrated by not being able to go wider. The camera body kept giving me error 99 so I took it back to Best Buy and they just returned it since they didn't have anymore. So after that I went to B&H and got a 40D body and a 17-85 IS. Since then I've added a 50 f/1.4.

Anyway, I look forward to learning. This is by far the best and most active photography forum I've found. Please visit my galleries at pbase in my sig (once pbase is fixed)

PhotosGuy
16th of December 2007 (Sun), 18:14
Welcome to POTN! I'm also curious how a group shoot works. We had one at the zoo that wasn't well attended. Pretty much, pick something you're interested in & organize it.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=339135

Simoli
18th of December 2007 (Tue), 21:34
Another Northvillian here. Not ready to meet anyone just yet, still need the camera. Getting a 40D this weekend. Once I know how to turn it on I'll be on my way. :D

ggt1_02
20th of December 2007 (Thu), 17:09
Another Northvillian here. Not ready to meet anyone just yet, still need the camera. Getting a 40D this weekend. Once I know how to turn it on I'll be on my way. :D

Since your in Northville, why don't you head out to Mill Race there are lot of different subjects to shoot and learn. It's probably one of my favorite spots to go, just check out my Flickr link in my sig.

randy98mtu
22nd of December 2007 (Sat), 12:48
Since your in Northville, why don't you head out to Mill Race there are lot of different subjects to shoot and learn. It's probably one of my favorite spots to go, just check out my Flickr link in my sig.

Thanks for the suggestion. I knew of it, but last time I went there I wasn't very creative. I went back today and think I got some decent shots (link) (http://www.pbase.com/randy98mtu/around_town). Also look in my wedding gallery (http://www.pbase.com/randy98mtu/wedding) for more Mill Race shots (that I did NOT take obviously. ;) )

carianoff
24th of December 2007 (Mon), 13:39
You guys hear ADRAY is on it's way out? First Century now them. Kinda sad, but i don't know how brick and mortar can compete with on line camera shops. But like where am i going to go to test gear so i can leave and buy it online now?? :P

Yanis
24th of December 2007 (Mon), 13:41
You guys hear ADRAY is on it's way out? First Century now them. Kinda sad, but i don't know how brick and mortar can compete with on line camera shops. But like where am i going to go to test gear so i can leave and buy it online now?? :P

I've heard of a place called Woodward Camera. Never been there but maybe someone else has.

Peace,

dave kadolph
24th of December 2007 (Mon), 13:51

Norman camera has locations in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo--both a short drive from you.

They are very price competitive with the online only stores--and have great customer service.

NickSimcheck
24th of December 2007 (Mon), 14:36
Hmmm...wonder if Adray will be offering some discounts on leftover stock?

The one in Dearborn has some expensive gear (L's in such) that not just anybody would buy. Any more details on when their closing the doors?