PDA

View Full Version : Does lack of flash on ipad hurt you?

cameraperson
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 20:36
They don't have flash on the ipad do they? Doesn't that hurt a lot of you? I've seen lots of photo business pages in flash.

edit: Sorry. I meant if you own a site that uses flash, not if you're visiting one. You miss customers.

tupper
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 20:38
It has in the past, but you learn to live without it really. Okay so some sites I can't go on, but if they are worth going on.. i'll just visit them later on my computer

cameraperson
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 20:49
Sorry. I meant if you own a site that uses flash, not if you're visiting one. You miss customers.

tim
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 20:50
Websites are going away from flash. I use an Android tablet which has flash but it's rarely used.

Edshropshire
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 21:29
Mobile Flash is going away anyway so you might as well not plan on it for the future. Android 4 is the last version that will have Flash, MS has said they will not support Flash. And to top it off Adobe said they will not longer develop mobile flash. Considering the wide use of mobile devices (tablets and smart phones) you might as well get use to a flash free mobile world.

cameraperson
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 21:34
That's gonna hurt a lot of photo sites.

FlyingPhotog
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 21:39
I don't show people my entire site, I show them my best work which is entirely doable from the native photo gallery...

Zenfolio App allows me to save images to the iPad.

tupper
29th of May 2012 (Tue), 22:43
Sorry. I meant if you own a site that uses flash, not if you're visiting one. You miss customers.

Apologies, mis-understood. As for that? My site is built in HTML5 so can't comment

AlexMcCranor
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 05:28
When I put my websites together I test them on the few main browsers on both mac and pc I also test on iPhone, iPad, netbook and android.

And do my best to make the website a good experience on all these devices.

As my iPad has taken over as my main tool for basic tasks such as web browsing I think this will happen for most people that own one.

For me my site has to work on an iPad.

If you are paying someone to design your website for you they should have test ran it in all the platforms I mentiond, if not more. so just ask them, what's the site like on an iPad?

Alex

ryanshoots
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 07:01
There are a TON of photographer's sites using Flash. Can't speak to percentages here, but just stating what I see when browsing. None of those work on an iPad. I'd assume they'd rather have more visitors that can see the content, so those folks should migrate off Flash if they haven't.

You-by-Lou
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 07:11
flash is a dog and the sooner it is eradicated the better

who here doesn't flinch when opening a site that reads Flash Player 8 needed???????

RDKirk
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 16:59
There are a TON of photographer's sites using Flash. Can't speak to percentages here, but just stating what I see when browsing. None of those work on an iPad. I'd assume they'd rather have more visitors that can see the content, so those folks should migrate off Flash if they haven't.

What you're seeing depends on a number of business factors.

The vast majority of laptop/desktop users (about 98%) still have flash-capable machines and will for a couple more years. Most non-techies are not removing flash capability from their machines.

Many others business people had already built non-flash alternate sites specifically designed for the tiny screen using HTML4. I have had such a site for a couple of years. It was simple enough to add a bit of code to automatically forward all mobile devices to it from my regular website.

HTML5 is new enough that a lot of business people will have made "within the next year or two" decisions about updating, scheduling it in with their other foreseable business expenses. If their analytics don't show a target market trend, then they have no need to go to the expense right way to leap on the next new thing.

The conversion to HTML5 is like the conversion in automobiles from carburetors to fuel injection. To the mass of users, it's an "under the hood" thing--they don't care whether it's Flash or HTML5, as long it looks good. The progression will happen.

mtimber
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 17:11
I use smugmug.

With the flash free slideshow, I can navigate it easily.

So it does not affect me.

ChunkyDA
30th of May 2012 (Wed), 18:40
I thought you meant lack of a flash that would add light to an otherwise dark image. DOH!

HappySnapper90
1st of June 2012 (Fri), 22:02
MS has said they will not support Flash. And to top it off Adobe said they will not longer develop mobile flash.
Microsoft's choice is probably because they want people to use their Silverlight video player, which hardly any website except probably Microsoft site use it.

I doubt Adobe said that. They bought Flash with buying Macromedia, so I can't see them killing it. It's probably their most used product!

cameraperson
1st of June 2012 (Fri), 23:04
lots of flash games out there.

es1
2nd of June 2012 (Sat), 09:51
Something like 1/3 of websites use flash in some extent. Of course it hurts and anybody who says no is either lying or stupid/apple fanboy.

Foodguy
2nd of June 2012 (Sat), 13:32
I have a Livebooks site that uses Flash, but they also maintain a mirror HTML site as well. I like Livebooks for the fact that the site scales to different size monitors automatically.

Furinox
7th of June 2012 (Thu), 15:46
Microsoft's choice is probably because they want people to use their Silverlight video player, which hardly any website except probably Microsoft site use it.

I doubt Adobe said that. They bought Flash with buying Macromedia, so I can't see them killing it. It's probably their most used product!

You should do some research. Adobe is discontinuing flash development for mobile platforms.