PDA

View Full Version : Raynox converters for G3? Your opinion!

birk
10th of June 2003 (Tue), 14:40
Hi,

Sorry for picking up this topic again, but after reading the postings of the last two month I am still unsure where to go.

I am looking for a wide angle converter for my G3 mainly for taking landscape pictures. So far I learned that there are offers by Canon (WD58N), Tiffen (0.75) and Raynox (DCR-6600 Pro). There are
galleries with pictures for the first two, but I haven't seen any for the Raynox. Some weeks ago peaple announced they would buy one and report on the results. So, may be now is the right time :-)

Any tip, hint appreciated

Lothar

Rodenstock
10th of June 2003 (Tue), 20:28
Don`t buy the Raynox DCR-6600 Pro. I tried it and it sucks. Image is not sharp at all. Distortion in image, everything look tilt to the left and to the right.

I ended up with the WC-DC58 and the image quality is exactlely as without the converter.Sharp but with little barrel distotion, i don`t mind. You can try the WC-DC58N but it is very big and heavy.

SpiDEX
11th of June 2003 (Wed), 00:48
Raynox is out-of-stock for a long time ... they claim they have problem with the material ...
From their website, DCR 1540 pro looks good .. but I don't know how well it works with G3.

SpiDEX
11th of June 2003 (Wed), 01:06
rodenstock wrote:
Don`t buy the Raynox DCR-6600 Pro. I tried it and it sucks. Image is not sharp at all. Distortion in image, everything look tilt to the left and to the right.

I ended up with the WC-DC58 and the image quality is exactlely as without the converter.Sharp but with little barrel distotion, i don`t mind. You can try the WC-DC58N but it is very big and heavy.

rodenstock,
On Raynox website, they mention that DCR-6600 Pro needs to use together with 58mm canon adapter and their step-down ring ... Do you think its because of that causes the distortion on the image ??