PDA

View Full Version : D30 Battery grip

beach512
9th of November 2001 (Fri), 13:56
I am new (2 weeks now) to using the D30 and got talked into buying the battery grip because the salesman said the microdrive needs the 2 batteries to run more effectively. I have since learned that this is not really true.
Anyway, I have not used the grip yet but here is my question:

Is it really needed ?
Any of you out there use it exclusively all the time ?
and If I sell it, will I miss it later on ?
(I plan on shooting about 500 or so pictures a month)

thanks for your input,

Dave

mikedekeyser
9th of November 2001 (Fri), 14:07
Hi Dave,

The salesman did lie in saying that it is needed for the microdrive to function better but if you paid a decent price for it and plan on taking a lot of portrait shots then i would suggest keeping it. I've had the battery pack for 3 months now it's saved me several times when i forgot to recharge one of the batteries. I'm also assuming that you got the canon rebate of a 2nd battery and microdrive. In which case having the battery pack would make more sense. It switches to the 2nd battery as soon as the first one is depleted.

Hope it helps.

Mike

k5cad
9th of November 2001 (Fri), 18:47
Hi Dave,

I have a bit of a different take on the grip thing. I have never been uncomfortable using a camera in the vertical mode. To me the grip would make the camera more awkward and less balanced. That makes it a rather expensive battery compartment. You can monitor the battery condx and it doesn't take but a few seconds to change it. I bought a package which included the grip but I have never installed it. For about the same money I could have bought an ST-E2 (which I subsequently have) which is much more useful to me or put that money on an ex flash.

I will probably sell mine on eBay as the box has never been opened.

I do love the camera, though. My first new camera since the Canon New-F1.

Ebert Steele

Roger_Cavanagh
10th of November 2001 (Sat), 03:21
I would keep the battery grip. I leave the BG on the camera all the time. With two batteries I have enough power to take pictures all day long. I've never actually run out of power so you never know what the limits are. I have read that the BG gives capacity for 700-1000 shots. Judging by the flashing lights on the charger, I certainly would have had trouble with only one battery in the camera on some days.

If you use a microdrive and/or an IS lens and like to review images in the LCD the extra power will also be valuable.

Another thing I like about the BG is that it enables you to fit the hand strap. It's a bit of extra security for carryng the D30.

Regards,

Roger

mflaherty
10th of November 2001 (Sat), 06:01
I absolutely love my grip. I put it on when I purchased it and have never removed it. Never once have I come close to running out of power. I love the vertical controls. Just wish there was a fix to keeping the neckstrap out of the way for vertical shooting. Drives me nuts. Also, can't do without the handstrap which makes handling the camera much safer and more comfortable. The added weight and size with the grip helps me with hand-holding stability and just feels right. Of course, YMMV. Good luck to you.

Mike Flaherty

Glen R
10th of November 2001 (Sat), 16:01
If you have it use it and put both batteries in it and you will take 500 shots without recharging. I have had mine on since I got the camera and it is great as I don't have to worry about the one battery going dead.

Put it on and keep it on and you will be happy and worry less. And the verticle grip, it's all I shoot so it is awesome.

mjbauer
10th of November 2001 (Sat), 19:13
I have had an excellent experience with the vertical grip for my Canon EOS A2. It works on the same principle as the D30 Battery Grip for vertical orientation.

It really depends how far afield you will go with your camera and the access you have to a charger. Since it also holds the DC coupler, it will help in a studio setting.

drsenay
11th of November 2001 (Sun), 22:13
You know I bought mine the day I got my camera (October 29, 2000) and have had it off ONLY once for Pano work with a Kaidan Kiwi+ but otherwise use it ocnstantly and wouldn't do without it... I claims to allow 700-1000 shots with two batteries but when shooting weddings I have commonly shot 1500-2000 frames without stopping... GREAT toy and makes the camera more comfortable (to me) in terms of weight and balance...

Scott

sbourne
22nd of November 2001 (Thu), 18:04
Does anyone know the part number (Canon) of the hand strap that fits on the battery grip and also, does anyone have advice on where to buy it and at what price?

Thanks.

Roger_Cavanagh
23rd of November 2001 (Fri), 12:53
sbourne wrote:
Does anyone know the part number (Canon) of the hand strap that fits on the battery grip and also, does anyone have advice on where to buy it and at what price?

Thanks.

It's the E-1 handstrap. I got mine mail-order from Jessops in the UK for a _ludicrous_ amount of money - GBP20 approx. I am sure anyone in the US can buy it for much, much less.

But I do feel safer that I am less likely to drop the camera with the handstrap, and it looks way cool. :-)

But you can't use the strap in portrait mode - unless can manage the button with your pinkie.

Regards,

Roger

gerry
24th of November 2001 (Sat), 10:24
the battery grip is great, and it looks cool too. gives the photographer more to hold on to.

fmorris
27th of November 2001 (Tue), 04:58
I agree with everyone else. Use the grip.

Before, I got my D30, I was using the Canon 1N. You get very spoiled in using the grip for vertical shots.

Granted, I have never ran out of battery usage and probably would have a time or two if I had only one battery.

But my main reason for the grip is for the use during shooting vertical. I like the grip so much that I would recommend to Canon that it comes as standard equipment.

Just my two cents worth.

Frank

DWerner
27th of November 2001 (Tue), 10:41
I have mixed feelings about the grip.

I use it about half the time that I use the camera. I like the feel of it, and with large lenses it does help with balance. And it certainly does make the camera look very professional. That's were the problem comes in...

People react to that pro look.

Sometimes its a good thing:
- Impress friends and vex enemies.

But, more often that's a bad thing:
- Potential subjects become more aware of being "on"
and loose a little spontaneity.
- Official people notice you. Security types assume you
are "Press". (That in itself can work both ways.)

I've recently started taking the camera along on walks (I live in a rural area). I put on the nice and compact Canon 28mm 2.8. keep the big grip off the camera and have a nice small package that doesn't cause farmers to wonder if I'm from the Department of Natural Recources...

One last thought: I used to think of my old Nikon F as a big camera and my Leica as a compact. To me, with certain lenses the D30 seems gargantuan… and I have big hands! Why does this stuff have to be so damn big! (end of tantrum)