PDA

View Full Version : Which camera

Harri
13th of June 2003 (Fri), 14:10
I'm a first time camera buyer and was orginally looking at the eos 10d but i don't have as much money to burn as i did before and it has limited my options. I've been looking at the Canon s50 and g3 and also the minolta dimage 7hi. I like the minolta because of the 7x optical zoom but it is much more expensive than say the g3. So my question is if the minolta is worth spending the extra money or if i should get the g3 or even s50.

I'll be using the camera for photography as opposed to holiday photos and i want something that will last me awhile. I want something which has a big zoom but i also want something for macro work, and i understand i can buy additonal lenses for the g3, how much would a standard telephoto lense and macro lense cost.

Thanks

PacAce
13th of June 2003 (Fri), 14:43
Harri wrote:
I'll be using the camera for photography as opposed to holiday photos and i want something that will last me awhile. I want something which has a big zoom but i also want something for macro work, and i understand i can buy additonal lenses for the g3, how much would a standard telephoto lense and macro lense cost.

Thanks

Don't know much about the Minolta camera but if you want versatility, then the G3 would be the way to go. However, I hope you realize that the G3 does NOT have a removable lens. The additional lenses (but limited in the number of choices) you can get for the G3 does not replace the one that's on it but rather supplements it, to extend the telephoto range on one end (with a tele converter) and the wide angle range on the other (with a wide angle converter). Unfortunately you can't do both (i.e. extend tele and wide) at the same time.