PDA

View Full Version : Where's Nifty?!! #1

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Carzee
21st of December 2005 (Wed), 18:22
Where's Nifty?!!

Following on the 50mm thread, here is some fun with "Nifty Fifty" a simple Canon EF 50mm f1.8 mkII Lens on a Quest for fun and interesting photos around the world.

He's throwing off the boredom of semi-retirement and seizing the day - always making travel plans and always on the move, hitching on trains, planes and brown trucks. He may start a trend, who knows? :)

[here is the originating thread (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121787) ]

[here is the following thread (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1488631)]

Carzee
21st of December 2005 (Wed), 18:30
Stardate Dec 21 2005
Nifty is sitting here in Australia all excited about Christmas and all packed ready for the off. He's booked passage to....?

Pekka in Finland!

To catch a glimpse of Santa perhaps...anyway I agree that Nifty should start at the start.

Citizensmith
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 10:39
Thanks very much for getting this started. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun. I wonder who Pekka will agree to send it on to after its visit.

Tom W
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 11:15
man, I hope that this gets big. Perhaps a spot on PBase or Fotopic or somewhere to keep all the images together as the Nifty 50 makes its rounds throughout the world.

wu_wei0
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 13:25
What a FAB idea! hope Nifty makes it to my house someday too. Looking forward to seeing all the marvelous pics and hearing all the stories Nifty has to tell. AN ethnographer's dream!

CyberDyneSystems
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 15:40
:lol:

condyk
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 15:47
Nifty looks like he's having a focus problem. Are you sure you didn't send it to Tim by mistake?

Carzee
22nd of December 2005 (Thu), 15:49
Pekka must be offline or away last 24hrs. Sent an email for his address...

Focus issues? Yeah its all quick n cheezy but the eyes were lassoed straight from Wally so I thought I would give the jet lag eye treatment.

Carzee
23rd of December 2005 (Fri), 02:23
CQDX Pekka.

Could a mod PM Pekka a message to PM me a delivery address for Nifty...

tim
23rd of December 2005 (Fri), 02:31
Nifty looks like he's having a focus problem. Are you sure you didn't send it to Tim by mistake?

Stay on target.... start on target...

(star wars reference)

condyk
23rd of December 2005 (Fri), 06:27
Stay on target.... start on target...

(star wars reference)

Never been a fan, but I think I get it :lol: :lol:

wu_wei0
28th of December 2005 (Wed), 00:13
so-- Where's Nifty? Has he started his travels? Has he gone to Pekka?

mijbril
28th of December 2005 (Wed), 05:03
Nifty is on the blocks & awaiting starters orders I believe....

Carzee
28th of December 2005 (Wed), 23:52
so-- Where's Nifty? Has he started his travels? Has he gone to Pekka?

Thats right.... waiting on Pekka's addy. Post Office staff here have been notified, and the Mayor has arranged all the lights to the airport to be set to green. The plane is fuelled and warming up, he has priority clearance to taxi and Code Red/Green airlanes to the other side of the world --it all begins as soon as the destination info arrives.

Nifty has even tried to price a ride by taxi - again they need an exact address fgs! All I wanted was an approximate price, just in the ballpark - but its all too hard. There's just no customer service anymore...

Olli
29th of December 2005 (Thu), 00:14
I'm ready to PM my address when Nifty is on the second, third or ... round around the world. (Pekka is covering this part of the world during the first round. ;) ) So count me in as well :D:D:D

- olli

wu_wei0
29th of December 2005 (Thu), 00:52
We maybe should rename the thread "where's Pekka('s address)?"

john_ch
29th of December 2005 (Thu), 05:54
This looks like its going to be a fun and interesting one :D

queenbee288
30th of December 2005 (Fri), 15:03
Thats right.... waiting on Pekka's addy. Post Office staff here have been notified, and the Mayor has arranged all the lights to the airport to be set to green. The plane is fuelled and warming up, he has priority clearance to taxi and Code Red/Green airlanes to the other side of the world --it all begins as soon as the destination info arrives.

Nifty has even tried to price a ride by taxi - again they need an exact address fgs! All I wanted was an approximate price, just in the ballpark - but its all too hard. There's just no customer service anymore...

Carzee, you are one funny guy!

condyk
30th of December 2005 (Fri), 15:59
Looks like Pekka doesn't want to play. I suggest sending it somewhere nearer home so he doesn't get jet-lag!

Pekka
30th of December 2005 (Fri), 20:25
Oh, now I peeked here and see what is going on. Sorry guys, I do not read my email much because it is 99.99% spam (200MB this month) and I do not have POP server installed (I read mail directly on server using very unflexible software).

PM is the only sure way of getting in touch.

I think it is wiser to send the nifty to somewhere closer to original sender first so that it does not go from Australia to Finland and back to Australia (3 weeks in post).... PM me for my address if you still insist :) :)

PacAce
30th of December 2005 (Fri), 21:17
Oh, now I peeked here and see what is going on. Sorry guys, I do not read my email much because it is 99.99% spam (200MB this month) and I do not have POP server installed (I read mail directly on server using very unflexible software).

PM is the only sure way of getting in touch.

I think it is wiser to send the nifty to somewhere closer to original sender first so that it does not go from Australia to Finland and back to Australia (3 weeks in post).... PM me for my address if you still insist :) :)
And to find the nearest neighbor to you, how about checking the POTN Guest map:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119586

:mrgreen:

Carzee
1st of January 2006 (Sun), 04:28
Well, okay.

As Pekkas says, 3 weeks is a long trip. I think Nifty would want a change of plan.

So....

what about the New Zealand members.... first one to PM their address gets a visit from Nifty for a week.

tim
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 00:30
Hmmm... should I play? If no-one else has put their hand up i'll have him for a few days then send it off somewhere else :)

Carzee
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 00:34
I've been too busy - ichecked the PMs - nothing - so you're in front - pls PM me the address and he'll start THE BIG TRIP...

tim
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 00:37
Done! :)

Wazza
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 02:09
Buggah, I was reading this thread often, waiting on Pekka. And now Tim jumps in?

Is there a challenge for the shortest distance?

Tim is 660km away from the other 10 Auckland POTN members ;)

tim
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 02:21
First thing i'm gona do is a focus test :p ;)

Wazza
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 05:21
Wouldn't this lens increase in value from $100 US to several thousand, if all us famous photographers sign our POTN screen names in small white pen? :D

Carzee
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 05:37
Umm, maybe not. Nifty has his designer Canon box and an off-the-shelf tupperware type box for travel. I put my stamp on that.
Nifty also has some carry-on luggage ---incl. a 52mm - 58mm stepup ring, a UV lenscap and a rubber hood with a red stripe to give it a real genuine fake "L" look.

Wazza
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 07:28

Well I'm looking forward to some usual "experimental" shots from Tim. :D

tim
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 14:36

Well I'm looking forward to some usual "experimental" shots from Tim. :D

"Usual" "experiment" ???

scr7b
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 16:59
If Nifty ever makes it to Europe and UK, I'd be happy to show him around the Glasgow area!

What a smart idea!

SuzyView
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 17:09
I think it should start over there because I want to see summer :) And I think this is going to be so much fun. You guys are more playful than a bunch of preschoolers with brand new LEGOS. ;)

SuzyView

dandan
11th of January 2006 (Wed), 22:00
I think it should start over there because I want to see summer :) And I think this is going to be so much fun. You guys are more playful than a bunch of preschoolers with brand new LEGOS. ;)

SuzyView

and thats a good thing??? :rolleyes:

shortie
12th of January 2006 (Thu), 09:59
If Nifty wants a holiday in the UK count me in

May be at the end of the day we could produce a nifty album for the shop ;-)

Shortie

RuggerJoe
12th of January 2006 (Thu), 18:04
This is the neatest idea. I'll show him Chicago when he comes this way. In the mean time I better practice with his brother.

dsze
14th of January 2006 (Sat), 11:55
Very fun! Can I play too? Maybe I can provide some portrait work from Indiana?

forsaken
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 02:46
ok so where is nifty in his whirlwind world tour?

tim
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 02:47
I believe he's on his way to me, and should arrive early next week.

condyk
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 08:48
So, is Nifty being physically transported from member to member then? I didn't understand the 'rules'. Great idea Carzee. I think it'll take decades to make his/her way to everyone, but perhaps only a mere few months for him/her to mysteriously disappear and later be spotted on ebay. Not sure I'd have sent the poor little thing to Tim first tho' ... he's a known enemy of the nifty!!

Citizensmith
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 11:36
I was wondering, do we want to come up with a specific photo that everyone should try and take during their time with the blessed one. Be it a car, a bird, a lamp post. It would be interesting to see everyone's interpretation of a given subject using the same lens.

Citizensmith
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 11:38
So, is Nifty being physically transported from member to member then? I didn't understand the 'rules'.

Nifty will be travelling around the world, in reasonably 'small' steps and staying with each member who joins in for not more than 2 weeks before being mailed off to the next. If you turn out to be a recipient you are responsible only for taking some photos and mailing it on to the next person.

Someone please correct me if I got any of that wrong. :)

condyk
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 15:59
Nifty will be travelling around the world, in reasonably 'small' steps and staying with each member who joins in for not more than 2 weeks before being mailed off to the next. If you turn out to be a recipient you are responsible only for taking some photos and mailing it on to the next person.

Someone please correct me if I got any of that wrong. :)

That's all sensible ... I suggest when posted the value is declared as equiv. maybe to 20 or even zero to avoid it being held up in customs red tape. I'm happy to have him for a week but don't fancy messing around with customs forms or paying courier collection fee's ... my last was 17, which isn't much but ...

BottomBracket
15th of January 2006 (Sun), 16:02
I'll be glad to go host nifty when he gets to NYC....

Wazza
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 18:09
Perhaps Tim can buy a good quality CD-RW, and each lucky member can burn their targeted pic on there. Keep it as a souvenir keepsake, and then copy your own back on there.

tim
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 18:14
Good idea Wazza. I don't know that i'm going to have time to do much creative stuff, it might just end up being shots of Wellington landmarks.

shortie
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 06:55
Perhaps Tim can buy a good quality CD-RW, and each lucky member can burn their targeted pic on there. Keep it as a souvenir keepsake, and then copy your own back on there.

seeing how many members this could go to say 26 per year ten shots at 5MB RAW then we would need a number od CD's

Why not have a DVD-RW as well so if people can burn DVD they use the DVD and if not use the CD

Shortie

Carzee
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 07:03
I was thinking of a free online gallery -Pbase?

Citizensmith
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 11:44
I was thinking of a free online gallery -Pbase?

Great idea, too much risk that a CD gets losts, messed up, or sommat.

tim
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 14:58
pbase is probably better, but if you limited people to, say, 5 or 10 JPGs the CD would fit quite a bit on it.

wu_wei0
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 16:00
Pbase or similar would be great. What if Nifty doesn't ever make it to me? It would be lovely to go take a gander at where he'd been what he'd seen.
Nifty's photoblog? lol

~wu

Carzee
20th of January 2006 (Fri), 02:45
Tim-- has Nifty been picked up from the airport yet? I can just see him there at Wellington Club lounge getting full as a boot whilst waiting.

I think he's supposed to be staying at your place tonight... maybe he's delayed, maybe getting searched in customs.

tim
20th of January 2006 (Fri), 03:09
Nope, no sign yet. It could've arrived at work and no-one told me, or it could be in customs. I'll check around on Tuesday (monday's a public holiday here).

DocFrankenstein
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 18:23
Why only the nifty?

If anybody want to send... say 24-70 on a wourld tour, I'd love to be the first :D

tim
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 18:28
Nifty turned up today... hopefully within the next week i'll think of something strange and intersting to take photos of... after that i'll send it to Wazza or something. Worst case i'll give him the lens when i'm up in Auckland in a couple of weeks, and the odd photos will be of him and the rest of the Auckland POTN crew ;)

wu_wei0
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 19:44
Hurray! Finally --first stop on the world tour. Now the rest of us who asked to host can have a little hope. :) Tim, I'm sure you'll find something to shoot!

~wu

tim
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 19:46
Maybe i'll stick my 50mm F1.4 to the front with selotape, and see if I can get some super-macro shots...

DocFrankenstein
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 19:47
You probably want to make pictures which are unique to your country. Traditional festivals, customs, foods... etc

They may not seem very captivating to you, but might be fun for other people.

tim
23rd of January 2006 (Mon), 19:52
I'll shoot some fish and chips or a curry :p Maybe i'll shoot some local landmarks... if I can get them into the frame using a 50mm lens!

New Zealand isn't that old, the only traditional stuff is Maori, and there's no way i'll see any of that in the next week. Maybe one of the guys in Auckland will.

hemuni
28th of January 2006 (Sat), 02:30
Hey Tim, hows the shooting comming? any shots to share yet?

tim
28th of January 2006 (Sat), 04:12
I haven't quite gotten time to take it out of the box yet... I plan to wander around with it a little tomorrow.

Carzee
2nd of February 2006 (Thu), 15:58
...I plan to wander around with it a little tomorrow.

Was it raining too much this week? Has Nifty seen any local sights yet? Or this weekend his big chance?

tim
2nd of February 2006 (Thu), 17:17
Sorry, i've been frantically busy with wedding orders all week, and I have a wedding on this weekend. It's a long weekend so with luck i'll get out and take a few pics this weekend. I'll be taking it up to Auckland next weekend for Wazza and the other guys, i'll have done something by then!

Should someone set up a place to upload photos too? I don't have the time to worry about that right now.

condyk
2nd of February 2006 (Thu), 17:28
Sorry, i've been frantically busy with wedding orders all week ...

WOT! And you didn't use the nifty at least once :shock: :shock:

tim
2nd of February 2006 (Thu), 18:50
WOT! And you didn't use the nifty at least once :shock: :shock:

I've been so busy i've gotten 5-6 hours sleep each night... taking fun photos doesn't really fit into that sort of schedule. The weekend should be less frantic... at least after the wedding :)

condyk
3rd of February 2006 (Fri), 01:45
I've been so busy i've gotten 5-6 hours sleep each night... taking fun photos doesn't really fit into that sort of schedule. The weekend should be less frantic... at least after the wedding :)

I meant use it at one of the wedding/s ;) But I'm just pulling your leg. I have enough 50mm's to keep me busy so in no rush to receive this little fella too.

tim
3rd of February 2006 (Fri), 01:52
I meant use it at one of the wedding/s ;)

You couldn't pay me to take risks like that! Last time a nifty was used at a wedding it missed focus a lot, my 1.4 was great.

wu_wei0
8th of February 2006 (Wed), 18:44
any update on our little friend?
~wu

tim
8th of February 2006 (Wed), 18:58
Nope no change. I'll bring him to work tomorrow and get some shots of the city, then take it to Auckland Saturday to get shots of the next GKPE (great kiwi photography expedition). Then i'll hand it on to Wazza.

Wazza
8th of February 2006 (Wed), 19:01
Nope no change. I'll bring him to work tomorrow and get some shots of the city, then take it to Auckland Saturday to get shots of the next GKPE (great kiwi photography expedition). Then i'll hand it on to Wazza.

I think we need to pass it around 10members in 10minutes, to give it a real workout. (catch up a bit, as Tim has let it collect dust. :p)

tim
8th of February 2006 (Wed), 19:16
There's no dust on nifty, I took 'em out, looked at it, then put it back in its box ;)

MattL
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 02:13
Little update, Nifty has made its way to Auckland, New Zealand, in my hot little hands.

Images tomorrow!

condyk
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 02:27
Little update, Nifty has made its way to Auckland, New Zealand, in my hot little hands.

Images tomorrow!

Excellent ... looking forward to it ariving in the UK in approx. 34 years :lol: :lol:

Carzee
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 02:35
Hmmm, where we gonna host Nifty's pix? I could make a gallery and host them... up to 400kb... i could put a flag in the top corner - have "Nifty in NZ", "Nifty in Nebraska" etc... and an index page. The exif would have to be copyied up manually into the html - 'cause I don't know how to do a page that auto reads it like PBase. Or is this thread enough? Say I puty a pic online and hotlink it to a POTN thread...ok... then in 2007 I change hosts and the hotlink goes null... does the POTN thread just have a missing image or is it somehow saved here?

andym172
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 02:53
It'd be good if each 'receiver' was given only 24-48 hours to receive the lens, take the picture, and then send it on. It'd get around far more quickly this way.

And if you want somebody to take a picture of The European Capital of Culture for 2008 (Liverpool), let me know ;) :)

condyk
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 03:03
I agree ... it's not like we're looking to produce the ideal image is it? It's almost like a perfect snapshot of the moment (Ok, day or so) that the fella arrives. Whatever is around within our environment right in the moment seems nice.

BTW Mr Carzee, one option is to use something like PixelPost. People can just PP to a pre agreed size, say 600 or 800px wide and then send you the shot and you upload and the EXIF is read. Take a minute each time I reckon. They can also email a little note about the shot if they like for you to cut n paste into the relevant space. I'm happy to host it free if someone else installs it. It's very easy. Just an offer but in some ways I'd rather shots be posted here as we can also read any text in the thread as it grows. It's just less hassle for everyone. Shame about the size limits tho', but folks can still link to a shot they host themselves.

IainB
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 05:03

Images tomorrow!

I can verify that....Nifty was being given the a real workout by some questionable Aucklanders this afternoon :D

scotttnz
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 13:16
Yep....Nifty was at my house last night....spent a bit of time on my camera too.

FlyingPete
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 13:48
Yep....Nifty was at my house last night....spent a bit of time on my camera too.

Yep there should be a flood of Travelling Nifty shots any moment now...

SuzyView
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:04
I've been reading this thread for weeks! I'm wondering if there is a NZ Triangle and Nifty is lost. Where are the pictures? Any minute now? :)

scotttnz
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:10
Here's a couple I took with nifty.

Wazza and iKirst:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/scotttnz/nifty1.jpg

Lens Madness:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/scotttnz/lens-table.jpg

Wazza
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:17
Here's a couple I took with nifty.

Wazza and iKirst:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/scotttnz/nifty1.jpg

Lens Madness:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/scotttnz/lens-table.jpg

That's a really bad shot of us.. Not the photo quality, but me, the subject. :o

Nice lens shot.
The supports were, 3 20Ds, Sigma 120-300 (mine), Canon 70-200L 2.8 (FlyingPete), and 100-400L ('joeseph' aka, Duncan)

NordieBoy
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:24
Cool pic :)

Do you have any of that red pinstriping stuff left?
I'd like to put some on my kit 18-55.

Wazza
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:25
Very funny. :p

scotttnz
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:35
That's a really bad shot of us.. Not the photo quality, but me, the subject

Kirst is out of focus too.....not much depth of field at f2.5

iKirst
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:40
I'd rather not have been in the shot :lol:

Prize for the most un-photogenic person should go to me :o

joeseph
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 17:02
Here's another travelling nifty shot, doing everything wrong with this one though.
Poor portrait composition (missing cranium top)
Busy Background
No fill flash
to top it all there's a non-Canon lens in the shot! :rolleyes:

FlyingPete
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 17:44
OK so someone throws you a lens, tells you a crazy stoty about it travelling around the world and then that it is your turn to take some pictures with it...

...took some shots of the most shot subject matter of the day - Wazza, but then I need not add to more of that, next up was the constant sequels of excitement behind us followed by larger splashes, so without any further a do, here is my "Where's Nifty" shot (assisted by the narrow fast f/1.8 ;) )

http://www.flyingpete.nzpages.net/GKPE/WheresNifty.jpg
EOS20D - EF50/1.8 @ f/1.8 1/4000s ISO100

::John::
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 17:50
Crikey, Wazza has changed - what was in those drinks? :)

BottomBracket
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 17:54
At last, nifty shots! Hurray! Can't wait to see more. I wonder when it Nifty will pay us a visit here in Eastern USA?

Carzee
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 20:28
Way to go Kiwis, looks like Nifty had a good time at the party. I like the pool shot and the glass collection one too. And the Wazza portrait isn't so bad at all. Who's hosting Nifty now?

SuzyView
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 20:37
Hey, you girls, go! Love seeing a girlfriend with great stuff in her hands. :)

Summer down south, how I love that! It's snowing here in VA. See you enjoyed the Nifty and yourselves. Loved the collection of great stuff. Oh, how I wish I could have been there with you, warm weather, great times. Oh well. Send Nifty to the East US. We can meet in NYC and go nuts too.

spencer87
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 21:08
lol how could I have missed this thread until now? i have a friend on another forum who did the same thing, but with a rubber ducky: http://www.codytheduck.com

you should send the nifty to baltimore, it can hang out with my nifty :)

Olli
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 02:08
Finally! Though the original idea to start with Pekka did not work out, I hope Nifty does not miss Finland on its way round the world!

- olli

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:03
Important Post Alert!

I have given the gallery idea some thought today and this evening created an account to enable 100mb storage...

1. big size pix

2. hotlinking to the POTN Nifty thread(s))

3. long term World Tour pix collection "integrity"

You don't need to know it but the collection url is as follows: http://www.nifty50.global.photoshare.co.nz

Instructions to self upload off your PC...

Step 1. Login (see details below)

2. Click the top wizard button in the centre menu box

3a. Select an existing national gallery to upload pix -easy.

OR

3b. Create a new gallery for whatever nation Nifty is touring at the moment - assuming a gallery is not already created (point 3a) ie; You may be the first person Nifty visits in Costa Rica for example - simply choose a gallery name according to whatever the nation's name is. (The gallery title could have more detail eg: Nation's Name :: August 2006)

So to the login details:

1. Go to http://www.photoshare.co.nz

2. Left side menu has input boxes for

2a ---USER ID--- enter------- nifty50

2b----PASSWORD--- enter------ *****************

(PM me for the password please).

All photos above please transfer. Someone will need to create a NZ gallery.

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:06
Oh, size matters.

minimum please at 800 largest side

maximum please at 1600 largest side

tommykjensen
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:20
This is a fun idea and if Nifty visits Denmark I can show Nifty a little bit of Copenhagen :-)

3b. Create a new gallery for whatever nation Nifty is touring at the moment - assuming a gallery is not already created (point 3a) ie; You may be the first person Nifty visits in Costa Rica for example - simply choose a gallery name according to whatever the nation's name is. (The gallery title could have more detail eg: Nation's Name :: August 2006)

Are the galleries sorted in the sequence they are created or are they sorted alphabetically? If it is sorted alphabetically I suggest the naming be something like "2006/02 : New Zealand". This way it is easier to follow the journey chronologically.

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:31
I think the sort is per creation date like PBase etc. I am told there is an exif reader built in too... lets see.

MattL
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:40
Ok. I've uploaded some nifty pics today.. Im not too sure. can anyone else see them?

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:45
Yeah, I see em and the exif module works

the url is:

http://www.nifty50.200602NewZealand.photoshare.co.nz

The sixth pic of Diva is soft methinkss..

MattL
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:48
Cool. Then I shall upload a couple more, and pass the lense on! I want to get a shot of the lense itself, with a nice backdrop showing where he is. I think its important we actually get shots of nifty in all these weird places, as well as the shots with nifty!

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 05:52
Check the gallery details - somehow the right button clickis disabled -to get the hotlink address of the image.. we need that click.

:) first glitch!

MattL
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 06:01
Ok i had a look around.

To find the address for hotlinking, Login , click on statistics, select the gallery from the drop down box, then select what image you want to hotlink and it comes up with the address there.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107087/CRW_2744-01Medium7410_S.jpg

Carzee
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 06:28
Ok I logged in and had a look around as well. I found that in the "Gallery Design - more" options there is a checkbox for "enable right click on photo".

Along the way I notoced the NZ gallery was not parented by the master/global gallery so I selected that. ie, it is a sub gallery of the main gallery so that a single gallery thumbnail is seen on the overall Nifty50 url:

http://www.nifty50.global.photoshare.co.nz/

tim
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 04:33
Well nifty got off to a slow start with me, mainly due to weddings taking priority, sorry. I got a few (really bad) shots at the GKPE so here they are. I might cheat and take a few photos of Wellington with the 50mm F1.4 I have, at F1.8, as he did pass through but I ran out of time. Is that fair?

I'll upload the photos to the proper place some time soon.

Wazza
http://mrwild.co.nz/unprotected/potn/Nifty1.jpg

Scott finishing his beer, with the GKPE in the background
http://mrwild.co.nz/unprotected/potn/Nifty2.jpg

John on the right, and Kirst in the background.
http://mrwild.co.nz/unprotected/potn/Nifty3.jpg

Moppie
http://mrwild.co.nz/unprotected/potn/Nifty4.jpg

joeseph
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 05:59
Nab dammit I can't put a name to this face. Little help? That's Kirst in the background.

That'll be dgcorner (John) on the right. Sorry, can't identify the hand on the left - now if it had been taken with Wazza's 120-300 we could've done the fingerprint thing...

tim
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 13:40
That'll be dgcorner (John) on the right. Sorry, can't identify the hand on the left - now if it had been taken with Wazza's 120-300 we could've done the fingerprint thing...

snibbetsj
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 14:59
Isn't it about time this thread got a sticky?

BTW, I want on the US list when it gets over here.

Carzee
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 15:37
Tim I sent you a PM.

tim
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 15:43
Yeah I got it but it didn't need a reply, thanks :)

Pekka
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 19:42
Isn't it about time this thread got a sticky?

Done!

Moppie
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 21:53
This thread is great :)

I took a whole lot of portraits of everyone with the 50, I think it was one Matts cameras at the time?
Would be nice to see if any of those came out?

MattL
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 00:09
Ill have a look see. I've barely looked at the photos from that day.

MattL
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 05:27
Ok Moppie, I've just uploaded a bunch of shots from that day, im sure you can put your name on a few of em!

I particulary love this one : http://www.nifty50.200602newzealand.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107087/CRW_2636-01Large5_S.jpg

I have no idea who the credit for photographer goes to, but this image definatly made me laugh.

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 05:46
This one is okay too: seems most of those are at f1.8
http://www.nifty50.global.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107087/CRW_2640-01Large192_M.jpg

MattL
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 05:58
This one is okay too: seems most of those are at f1.8

I thought that was the idea of a 1.8 lense? :P the first thing I did when I put nifty on, was hit Av at 1.8 lol.

zacker
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 07:04
if Nifty makes to the east coast of the states id be happy to show him some sites and send him off to the next stop on his trip!
-zacker-

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 08:09
Given enough time and good luck I suppose we could get together a Guiness World Record - 1000 photographers! Or will the plastic fantastic fall to bits well before that?

LOL. I wonder what number of "mountings" Canon engineering would've tested/rated this lens at?

Incidentally would the N*konians do this sort of thing?? Do N*kon have any plastic 50s?

Moppie
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 12:14
LOL! Poor Pete!

I deffinitly remember taking the one of Wazza, thats lining up his big Sigma on someones face.
And yes I know all the one I took I dialed it wide open to 1.8, thats quite a novelty to me :)

Citizensmith
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 14:10
Anyone decided where nifty is going to after NZ? There is a ton of us on the west coast of the US if you want to get him started here. There are 4 of us just in the Sacramento area alone. Is nifty going clockwise, counterclockwise, or where ever?

FlyingPete
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 14:24
Ok Moppie, I've just uploaded a bunch of shots from that day, im sure you can put your name on a few of em!

I particulary love this one : http://www.nifty50.200602newzealand.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107087/CRW_2636-01Large5_S.jpg

I have no idea who the credit for photographer goes to, but this image definatly made me laugh.

That's terrible! I hop he isn't related to me ;)

IainB
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 15:07

Where's Nifty? Well, at least we know here's 'Shifty'....

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 15:30
Anyone decided where nifty is going to after NZ? There is a ton of us on the west coast of the US if you want to get him started here. There are 4 of us just in the Sacramento area alone. Is nifty going clockwise, counterclockwise, or where ever?

Hmmm, good question. We could be systematic - I seem to remember we have a member on American Samoa or somewhere else in the Pacific - or we could be plain unorganised and spontaneous and fly Nifty anywhere anytime - leave it up to whoever is paying for Nifty's next plane ride...

Togra4
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 15:41
Im on the east Coast, just outside D.C. and would love to have Nifty to visit...Let me know when hes headin' this way! :)

MattL
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 15:47
Nifty has just been passed on, to dgcorner.

I would like to create another gallery of images of nifty - I'd like everyone to take a shot with something unique to their country thats easily recognisable (I did a shot with the New Zealand Herald in background) and upload it, so we can see how he's doing!

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 17:08
I would like to create another gallery of images of nifty

Go for it.

Got to say that so far the photo nz site seems to do what we want -the exif reader is good and the various sizes are there. So far so good.

And it downloads speedily enough. Anyone in the other half disagree? I mean the US, Canada, Europastan etc?

Citizensmith
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 17:52
Hmmm, good question. We could be systematic - I seem to remember we have a member on American Samoa or somewhere else in the Pacific - or we could be plain unorganised and spontaneous and fly Nifty anywhere anytime - leave it up to whoever is paying for Nifty's next plane ride...

If the random, all over the place option is selected I'd like to request nifty makes a trip to Sacramento. There are 4 active PotN members in the immediate vicinity, and then we can get it passed down to the central valley where a couple of our moderators hang out. :)

I'll ask the current holder if they have any plans.

Citizensmith
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 17:59
Hmm, PMing doesn't seem to be working right now. I'll try again later.

dgcorner
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 18:10
Hmm, PMing doesn't seem to be working right now. I'll try again later.

You got it... I tried PMing you but looks like the server may be acting up (too many of us on-line!!!)

I'll ask if any one else wants to take a couple of shots then send it to you. Will get your details when PM starts working again.

Cheers!

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 18:33
Did Nifty get down to the South island?

http://sites.onlinemac.com/kincom/New%20Zealand%20Map.JPEG

tim
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 18:57
Nope, we have members in Nelson and Dunedin, so it could go that way easily enough.

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 18:59
So far..

http://www.nifty50.200602newzealand.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107085/carzee_map8410.jpg

dgcorner
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 21:27
Nope, we have members in Nelson and Dunedin, so it could go that way easily enough.

Yep, just checking with Nordieboy if he wants to have a go. If not, I don't think anyone else wants a crack at it up here (in Auckland that is...)

CARZEE, is this off to Sacramento? Marcus aka CitizenSmith has made his intentions clear. Has anyone else before him?

Cheers!

Carzee
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 21:52
Hey its up to you John or maybe Nordieboy, but if it will help you decide... Citizen Smith was fast off the line as I remember - yep he was the 3rd poster in Nifty's thread!

forsaken
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 22:23
I know moppie is responsible for this one
http://www.photoshare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/101372/107087/CRW_2629-01Large6366_S.jpg

Citizensmith
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 22:27
Hey its up to you John or maybe Nordieboy, but if it will help you decide... Citizen Smith was fast off the line as I remember - yep he was the 3rd poster in Nifty's thread!

Yeah but just because I thought it was a great idea. If there is someone local or who has a big event coming up or something I have no problem at all waiting in line for the presence of the blessed one. :)

Moppie
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 22:59
I know moppie is responsible for this one

:twisted: :twisted: :p

dgcorner
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 00:51
NIFTY UPDATE: Nordieboy want to have a play. "Fran" is in Nelson so that counts as the South Island ;-) Putting nifty in the post tomorrow.

Carzee
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 00:56
ooooooh.
Is that another stamp on the passport? (Even its just another Maori kingdom or whatever?)

Moppie
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 01:04
(Even its just another Maori kingdom or whatever?)

LOL! I wonder if you understand how funny that actualy is :lol:

NordieBoy
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 02:15
Yeah man, I'll have to do a self portrait of me tanned self bro.
I'll just fluff up the afro.

dgcorner
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 18:49
Here are a couple of pics from the nifty -- of the ponga fern commonly found on our shores. Taken from the front door of my house. Cropped, USMed and all that jazz...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/dgcorner/Fern1a.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/dgcorner/Fern2a.jpg

Nifty is in the post and on the way to Nelson. Nordieboy, have fun!

FlyingPete
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 18:53
Here are a couple of pics from the nifty -- of the ponga fern commonly found on our shores. Taken from the front door of my house. Cropped, USMed and all that jazz...

Nifty is in the post and on the way to Nelson. Nordieboy, have fun!

Great shots, nice and NZ like! Now if we can get a kiwi (not easy as they are nocturnal :rolleyes: ), and some nice South Island scenery from the lads down there, we will be ready to send it on its way :D

kampphoto
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 18:55
How do I sign-up? I think the nifty would love to make an epic journey to the great city of Winnipeg... I live about 10 minutes from the center of Canada!!! Oh please please please!!!

NordieBoy
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 20:07
How do I sign-up? I think the nifty would love to make an epic journey to the great city of Winnipeg... I live about 10 minutes from the center of Canada!!! Oh please please please!!!
I live 10min by mountain bike from the center of New Zealand :D
I can see the monument from my window.
In fact I think the monument may have to be one of the first shots.

kampphoto
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 20:21
see me and NordieBoy can make serious contributions for Nifty... the center of two totally different countries!!

Carzee
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 03:15
Aussie got the world's biggest "center of the country" monument: Ayers Rock.

http://thomasknorpp.selfhost.de/4images/data/thumbnails/6/ayers.rock.jpg

Carzee
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 03:18
I like the ferns John. Nice greens.

Nifty and I shot this here flora one from as close as possible -and on the tripod.

http://www.pixelparker.com/topten/topten01.jpg

dgcorner
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 13:57
Ross, that's a very nice shot that actually jumps out at you. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the pics from Nifty's travels around the world.

NordieBoy
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 17:13
Aussie got the world's biggest "center of the country" monument: Ayers Rock.
Can't be all that big.
Can you see it from your window?

Hmmm?

;)