PDA

View Full Version : anyone has backpain carrying heavy SLR?

picard
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 10:07
Do you guys have back pain when carrying heavy dSLR? I shudder just thinking about it. I carry only the light rebel xt how do you wear those heavy SLR on the upper body anyway?

Longwatcher
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 10:36
I always thought it was better for my back as I have to have better posture to hold steadier. No problems so far other then after a couple hours my arm gets tired of holding a 1DsMkII with 70-200/2.8L IS and 550EX flash mounted at the runway type shoots I have done.

jfrancho
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 10:41
I don't really get 'back pain,' but I do get a tired arm, as LW described - even with a lighter setup. Sometimes I get a little bit of a stiff neck if I am contorting my self to get extreme angled shots. Doing stretches and neck rolls seem to prevent anything long term, though.

Longwatcher
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 13:50
I don't really get 'back pain,' but I do get a tired arm, as LW described - even with a lighter setup. Sometimes I get a little bit of a stiff neck if I am contorting my self to get extreme angled shots. Doing stretches and neck rolls seem to prevent anything long term, though.

My Angle Finder C has saved me a lot of stiff neck issues. And it allows me to get the camera just a touch lower to the ground - as in on the ground if necessary.

picard
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 13:52
do you guys use those large camera slings?

jfrancho
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 13:54
My Angle Finder C has saved me a lot of stiff neck issues. And it allows me to get the camera just a touch lower to the ground - as in on the ground if necessary.That is one piece of equipment that ranks with several lenses on my wish list. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

jfrancho
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 13:55
do you guys use those large camera slings?I have a e grip and an Optech strap.

forsaken
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:08
with the newr back backs you can carry heavy weights with little impact on your back. The waist strap (when adjusted correctly) will transfer the majority of the weight from you back and onto the hips and waist. This means a whole lot less strain on the back

picard
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:09
with the newr back backs you can carry heavy weights with little impact on your back. The waist strap (when adjusted correctly) will transfer the majority of the weight from you back and onto the hips and waist. This means a whole lot less strain on the back

which brand name make the waist & hip strap ?

Jon
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:15
The camera around my neck, regardless of which of my lenses is on (and a couple top 3 lb.), isn't the problem. It's the other 30 lb.in the bag that's the killer!

Ronald S. Jr.
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:19
which brand name make the waist & hip strap ?

Doesn't tamrac make a nice one?

jfrancho
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:30
There are a ton of them: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=177

Longwatcher
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 15:35
do you guys use those large camera slings?

I use the E-1 handstrap and the POTN neck strap. When I am going to be doing a runway type shoot I lose the neck strap as that is extra weight I don't need.

And for immediate access to my minimum camera equipment I have a lowePro backpack that gets a bit full at times, but works well with minimal problem. The catch is 3 lenses (16-35, 28-70, 70-200 IS all f2.8L and either a 4th lens (usually 50/1.4) or a flash along with other stuff is all I can fit in there. Probably good thing as it keeps down to a minimal level.