PDA

View Full Version : Photo Magazines--any recommendations

dovbaer
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 13:48
We get so much great information over the internet now, I don't think much about getting a magazine. Are there any you recommend?

SuzyView
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 13:56
You mean about photography? ;) :)

I get the EOS Magazine, but it is really expensive. I like it because it has some very nice pictures and tells of products Canon will come out with. You can easily get all the information on the net, but it's nice to have a magazine to look at for the cameras we all use sometimes. It compares new products with old products, all Canon EOS.

SuzyView

claudermilk
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 16:18
I'm looking for some good photo magazines as well. By "good" I mean something that focuses on the craft of photography--preferably with some digital bent, not the commonly found monthly packs of ads.

I just picked up a copy of PhotoLife and Lenswork at the local Borders. Only part wya through the Lenswrok, but so far I think it's worth the high price. Photolife looks promising as well. I'd be interestd in more options (needto order a copy of EOS).

sunbeast
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 16:51
You mean about photography? ;) :)

I get the EOS Magazine, but it is really expensive. I like it because it has some very nice pictures and tells of products Canon will come out with. You can easily get all the information on the net, but it's nice to have a magazine to look at for the cameras we all use sometimes. It compares new products with old products, all Canon EOS.

SuzyView

SuzyView.....I'm not a currency convertor expert, so if you don't mind, can you tell me what to expect to pay for a subscription to EOS? I figured somewhere around $48-$50. Is that in the ballpark?

reewik
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 17:01
Just following along....

SuzyView
16th of January 2006 (Mon), 17:02
You can go right to the link

http://www.eos-magazine.com/

and you can see how much U.S. it is. The magazine comes out of the UK, so all the references will be for the European models and the prices are in pounds. But it is a beautiful magazine. You only get 4 a year, so that is really pricey for $50 a year. I keep all the issues for reference. :)

SuzyView

andrew chong
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 12:14
I just picked up a copy of PhotoLife...I had a free year's subscription (six issues a year, including a small wall calendar) to PhotoLife. It is a good magazine with lots of great photography, often including work by one of my favourites, Richard Martin. It's Canadian too.

At the time of subscription (~2004), I found it to be perhaps a little less technical and in-depth than I'd like. That said, I enjoyed my subscription and was happy each time I saw an issue in my mailbox.

Claire
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 14:51
I'm quite fond of "Professional Photograhy". It's a UK magazine with interesting articles from a pro perspective. I also occasionally read "Practical Photography". I'm more fond of the UK magazines than the US ones. I find that the US ones feel too...messy. The articles get boggled down in tons of advertising and the layouts usually don't appeal to me. But mainly it's the advertising that bothers me a lot.

SWPhotoImaging
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 15:58
I think they are all mostly ads, but I like Digital Photo Pro, and Photoshop magazine. Photoshop magazine is only available by subscription if you join NAPP ($99), but is sometimes on the newsstand, and Digital Photo Pro is $19/yr for six issues.
Photoshop magazine is of course all about using Photoshop. The last issue of DPP that I picked up had several good articles, one of which was on color space.

Just my $.02

Radtech1
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 16:36
If you are looking for a serious magazine geared toward the fine arts photographer, then I recommend PhotoTechniques (http://www.phototechmag.com/). There website has a "Sample Issue" button that allows you to DL articles from the current issue in Adobe PDF format. Please take a look at "Portfolio: Images from the Heartland by Ron Harris - A traditional B &W photographer goes digital to achieve his creative goals." Stunning work. Great magazine. Best in breed.

ScottE
19th of January 2006 (Thu), 01:32
I am a fan of PhotoLife, although some articles are a little too artsy for my tastes. The printing quality is very good, there is a good mix of articles. Some of the equipment reviews are a little weak for pixel peekers, but there is more than enough of that stuff available on the web.

crn3371
21st of January 2006 (Sat), 12:40
Probably a throwback to my film days, but I still enjoy thumbing through Popular Photography. I also find that Digital Photographer has some interesting articles. A lot depends on your skill level. A newbie would probably find a lot of the info quite helpfull. Go to your local bookstore and visit the periodical section, see if anything strikes you, and yes, they do have a lot of ads. BTW, none of them will give you the breadth of information that you can get from this forum.

symes
21st of January 2006 (Sat), 18:02
I'm quite fond of "Professional Photograhy". It's a UK magazine with interesting articles from a pro perspective. I also occasionally read "Practical Photography". I'm more fond of the UK magazines than the US ones. I find that the US ones feel too...messy. The articles get boggled down in tons of advertising and the layouts usually don't appeal to me. But mainly it's the advertising that bothers me a lot.

I find the same thing...I am partial to these two UK mags...

Cheers,

slitherjef
22nd of January 2006 (Sun), 01:15
I usualy get what ever strikes my eye on the newsstands at barns and Nobel (http://www.bn.com)

Often times I grab for them UK mags at around 15 bucks a pop

Bob_A
22nd of January 2006 (Sun), 01:20
EOS Magazine is my current favorite.

blinking8s
22nd of January 2006 (Sun), 04:57
PDN - http://www.pdnonline.com