PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Gig...

Steve Parr
17th of January 2006 (Tue), 17:50
So I’m outside the office, enjoying cigarette, and a woman from our Shipping Department walks up and asks me if I’d like to shoot a wedding.

I’ve never shot a wedding before, and I’ve never paid much attention to the photographers at the weddings I’ve attended.

If I shoot a band, and the results are less than satisfactory, I can always say “Hey, I can shoot your next gig”. With a wedding, however, there’s no “next gig”. Honestly, I think I could do a good job but, frankly, I just don’t need that kind of pressure.

I declined.

Seven people, in the last ten minutes, have told me I should’ve jumped on it.

I’m still pretty sure I did the right thing in turning down what could’ve been a pricey gig.

Whatcha’ think?

Steve

RockSlut
17th of January 2006 (Tue), 18:20
I've done the same thing numerous times, but then I hate weddings. The closest I have come is by agreeing to help the bride (a very good friend) to choose a photographer and then to take my camera along and capture candids andn supplement the professional's work and I've done so as a wedding present.

buffalophotographer
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 00:14
I shoot weddings for a living and the first wedding that I did I was petrified. I had a copy of all the poses that I wanted to take and made sure my distance from the subject was according to guidelines. It is a long day and you have to be dead on for all your shots as you do not get a second chance for most of the stuff happening. With digital it makes it so much easier as you atleast know that you are getting some sort of image. I shot with film and did nto trust the camera one bit. On the day of the weddings I would alalways run a roll of film in the morning and run it through the 1 hr lab to see if there was any problems. Even with digital I have had my cards crash a few times. Luckily I had already invested in the recovery software and was able to recover most of teh images.

Krapo
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 02:34
Seven people, in the last ten minutes, have told me I should’ve jumped on it.

I’m still pretty sure I did the right thing in turning down what could’ve been a pricey gig.

I am on your side. I think that if you want to start shooting weddings, you have to practice before asking money and being the "official" photographer: the one who must not screw up!

Weddings, why not? But if it is something you consider, go to a couple of ones and practice.

For me you definitely took the right decision. No one but you can decide wether you're ready or not!

dengli
18th of January 2006 (Wed), 03:24
If you weren't confident then you made the right decision. Shooting weddings isn't just about being technically competent - you also have to have skills in personal relationships and organising people as well as being able to inspire confidence in your clients.

Weddings are high pressure events where mistakes are rarely tolerated.