PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 5 is out.....

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:18
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.edu.html?promoid=KAUCD

anyone know if they finally added facial recognition?

Colorblinded
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:37
I wonder if I'll have to add a config file to get it to import images using the file structure I prefer. Why programs don't let you define import folder arrangements baffles me.

Scatterbrained
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:38
I wonder if I'll have to add a config file to get it to import images using the file structure I prefer. Why programs don't let you define import folder arrangements baffles me.

What do you mean? I usually tell it where to put the images during import. Are you looking to do something else?

Colorblinded
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:48
What do you mean? I usually tell it where to put the images during import. Are you looking to do something else?

I want automated import to store images using the following directory structure: \YYYY\YYYY_MM\YYYY_MM_DD\ yet lightroom only offers \YYYY\YYYY-MM\YYYY-MM-DD\. I don't really feel like changing a storage scheme I have been using for years over something that Adobe could very easily allow me to implement by offering some customization of import settings. It's possible to add this by creating the necessary language file resource, the point is you shouldn't have to. If Adobe gave you set variables like YYYY, MM, DD, etc. you could separate them with just about anything you want and import to whatever directory structure you want.

joonrhee
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:55
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Anyone purchased or upgraded yet?

I'm waiting for a boxed upgrade one.

J_TULLAR
9th of June 2013 (Sun), 23:55
Doesnt seem to have added anything really exciting.....

sssc
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 01:05
On top of the download now :)

Nightstalker
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 01:41
I'm trying the Beta and for me it does not really add much to LR4.

WoodDA
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 01:43
Just upgraded from the beta. It just took all my beta setting and put them in LR5 and got rid of the beta. Haven't noticed much that changed yet.

DunnoWhen
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 02:27
I'm trying the Beta and for me it does not really add much to LR4.

I'm in the same boat. I think LR4 will have been my last update ( especially as LR6 will be subscription ;-) :razz:)

Digitally_Altered
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 06:46
installing now...

hollis_f
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 06:48

I, too, shall be waiting for the boxed upgrade - because it will be cheaper! Yes, as stupid as it may sound, the boxed version is cheaper than the download version, at least it is for us Brits. That's because Amazon charge the same price, but the download is bought from Eire - which has a higher rate of VAT.

Indeed, I'll probably wait for the boxed upgrade to be on Amazon, and save a few quid more (how can Amazon sell it for less than Adobe?).

kozal01
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 06:48
So is 5 not much of an upgrade from 4 then? Ive been holding off buying because I knew 5 was coming out but now Im wondering if I should save some money and get LR4.

Digitally_Altered
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 06:52
usually if you buy the old one (V4 in this case) this late in the game, you get the new one (V5) free...

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 06:55

Thanks for the info. Downloading.

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 07:25
nope, really lazy quick way for them to make extra buck

DagoImaging
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 08:24
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/2013/04/15/whats-new-in-lightroom-5-0-beta/

I think there are a lot of improvements, but whether it's worth the $$ to you is purely subjective.

inernets
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 08:47
i haven't really seen that many key changes to lightroom since 3.0 It's the same with photoshop. There is almost no real reason to upgrade unless you buy the latest and greatest camera and need it to work with your software, and that is the only reason i would see upgrading. I am starting to despise adobe

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 08:57
I'm pretty aware that there are not a lot of changes this time around. I just keep upgrading because I have seen what Adobe does to you when you don't upgrade continually. A racket but what can you do. Oh well at least I'll never spend money on PS again.

hollis_f
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:01
I have seen what Adobe does to you when you don't upgrade continually. A racket but what can you do.

I'm not quite sure just what dire practices Adobe are supposed to be guilty of regarding Lightroom upgrades. As far as I can tell you can upgrade to LR5 from LR1 or LR4 for the same price. As rackets go it's not a particularly nasty one.

ekinnyc
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:10
wonder if it is possible to go from LR3 to LR5 without getting LR4?

no support of OS X 10.6? boo

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:11
I was not aware of that. I'm new to LR, started with 4. I remember reading about people who skipped PS5 and then tried to go to 6. A lot of unhappy campers. I'm not a cloud supporter and due to your location I know you are. I don't completely trust Adobe. Never know what they will do next. I'd hate to stop using their products as it took years to get off DPP. As long as they keep LR as a stand alone. If push came to shove there is always elements the day non could support ends for PS6 but I think it will be a while before I need to make that decision.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:12
wonder if it is possible to go from LR3 to LR5 without getting LR4?

Contact Adobe. That would be interesting to know.

hollis_f
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:23
From their Buying Guide (http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop-lightroom/buying-guide.html) (just one click away on the link in the first post) -

Lightroom 5 — upgrade

Full new version of Lightroom 5
Perpetual license
Must own previous version of Lightroom

No mention of 'Must own Lightroom 4'.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:29
If so that is pretty decent of them.

D Thompson
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:33
I remember reading about people who skipped PS5 and then tried to go to 6. A lot of unhappy campers.The old policy was to allow upgrades from 3 versions back. Adobe changed it to previous version only for CS6. There was a big uproar and they allowed the 3 version back upgrade for a few months after CS6 went live. That at least gave people time and notice to get in on the upgrade pricing.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:37
The old policy was to allow upgrades from 3 versions back. Adobe changed it to previous version only for CS6. There was a big uproar and they allowed the 3 version back upgrade for a few months after CS6 went live. That at least gave people time and notice to get in on the upgrade pricing.

I remember the uproar and Adobe made some adjustments but since I kept upgrading every time it came out I never paid attention. Thanks for the info.

Invertalon
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:43
Bought and downloading now. I really like a few of the features in the LR5 beta (quicker adjustments, auto-leveling, adjustment brush is really nice). The upgrade is only $79 which is cheap in the photography world lol

pbelarge
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:49
It looks like owning older versions of LR is not going to be a hindrance to purchasing LR5. And it looks like the upgrade price of $79 will be applied to all upgrades.

**My link did not bring you to the download for upgrade page. Just change the box that says FULL, to UPGRADE. Then you will see from which version you may have, and click on that.

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-US&event=displayProduct&categoryPath=/Applications/PhotoshopLightroom&distributionMethod=FULL

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:53
doesn't matter how "cheap" it is.

its a fast quick way to make a buck for them.

it really doesn't bring anything new, minor brush change, some features copied from photoshop.

Invertalon
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 09:55
Well for how much I use and love the program, I don't have a problem with it.

It is much worse with Canon in many cases than Adobe... Just take a look at the last 3 or 4 Rebels... No sensor changes, very minor adjustments and yet they "upgrade" it every year or so. Or hell, look at Apple... Everybody does it. If you don't like it, nobody forces anybody to upgrade... Just continue using whatever you are and be happy.

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:03
if only they would add facial recognition, i would be happy.

sorting though 60k+ images would be so much easier...

gjl711
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:18

it really doesn't bring anything new, minor brush change, some features copied from photoshop.No it's not. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade. If the new features are worth it to you, get it. If they do not interest you, skip the upgrade.

tkbslc
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:22

For me, I don't want Lightroom putting the images anywhere. I have 15 years of them in my own folder structures. Adobe always wants to move/copy them to its own folders. It might have been fine if I had LR from day 1, but I didn't.

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:22
No it's not. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

yes they are, because from this point on, no new camera will be supported in LR4.

jay125
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:36
upgraded. on my machine anyways, its more responsive and generally much faster than LR4 ever was.

Colorblinded
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:40
upgraded. on my machine anyways, its more responsive and generally much faster than LR4 ever was.

I was wondering if they might not have improved responsiveness/performance. That alone would get me to upgrade if enough people see an improvement.

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:45
I was wondering if they might not have improved responsiveness/performance. That alone would get me to upgrade if enough people see an improvement.

that was a issue with previous version, something that they should have fixed for free. You shouldn't have to buy a new version just to fix their screw up.

kenjancef
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:46
I just purchased LR5 from Adobe's site, and when picking the OS and such, there is a drop-down to choose what you are upgrading from. 4, 3, and 2 were there, as far as I know. And for kicks I picked version 3, and the price stayed the same. Hope that helps...

joonrhee
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:48
Ok, I just placed a preorder for a full boxed upgrade version ($79) at B&H. Amazon and Adorama don't have them ready for order yet. Expect availability on 6/13.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:49
Well there is some hope. We can only pray they leave LR as both a cloud and stand alone. You never know, they may come out with a dumbed down version like PS compared to Elements.

John E
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 11:02
I keep hoping for a cloning tool on each new release. It sounds like the "non-circular healing brush" may come pretty close to accomplishing the same thing.

c1phr
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 11:10
For me, I don't want Lightroom putting the images anywhere. I have 15 years of them in my own folder structures. Adobe always wants to move/copy them to its own folders. It might have been fine if I had LR from day 1, but I didn't.

That's not true and never has been. Apple's Aperture moves images to its own folders, Lightroom asks you to pick where to put your images and even allows you to import them without moving them from wherever you may have them stored. For all it cares, you could edit the images right on the card if you so choose.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 11:13
Yeah. I use it but to this day I have never like LR cloning tool. If I need to do serious cloning I export to PS.

tkbslc
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 11:59
That's not true and never has been. Apple's Aperture moves images to its own folders, Lightroom asks you to pick where to put your images and even allows you to import them without moving them from wherever you may have them stored. For all it cares, you could edit the images right on the card if you so choose.

That's not how it worked on the trial I used, but admittedly I didn't spend a great deal of time with it. The whole concept of having to "import" kind of bugged me anyway.

GeminiZ
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 12:09
..and yet it still doesn't support tethered capture for 6D.. :cry::cry::cry:

jrbdmb
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 12:32
Amazon slowly adding versions - but no "upgrade" version yet.

René Damkot
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 12:48
i haven't really seen that many key changes to lightroom since 3.0 It's the same with photoshop.
IMO, PV 2012 is worth the upgrade alone: much better then the older versions.
Makes it almost a completely new raw converter.

That's not how it worked on the trial I used, but admittedly I didn't spend a great deal of time with it.
You missed the "Add to catalog without moving" option in the Import dialog ;)

hollis_f
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:07
That's not how it worked on the trial I used, but admittedly I didn't spend a great deal of time with it. The whole concept of having to "import" kind of bugged me anyway.

Would you be happier if they'd have called it 'Tell me where your pictures live' instead? Because that's all it really ism if you want it that way.

Yohan Pamudji
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:07
What's with the complaints about importing. Doesn't everybody just do it the way I do? ;)

1. Create folder in Windows Explorer.
2. Attach card reader with memory card in it.
3. Copy files from card reader to folder.
4. Load LR.
5. Import from folder, don't move files.

This way you put the files where you want and you name the folder whatever you please.

René Damkot
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:12
Doesn't everybody just do it the way I do? ;)

Nope, I use Image Ingester to import, backup and add metadata to the files. Then I do a first sort (toss out the garbage), then I import without moving ;)

Yohan Pamudji
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:19
i haven't really seen that many key changes to lightroom since 3.0 It's the same with photoshop. There is almost no real reason to upgrade unless you buy the latest and greatest camera and need it to work with your software, and that is the only reason i would see upgrading. I am starting to despise adobe

The upgrade from 3 to 4 was huge. They completely revamped the processing pipeline and in particular greatly improved highlight recovery. The additional localized adjustment options were really handy too. Those 2 features were worth the upgrade for me. I'm not sure I can say the same about the upgrade from 4 to 5.

I haven't tried 5 but I wouldn't hold my breath on responsiveness improvements. They keep adding features not subtracting them, and it seems with every addition they're less and less likely to try to go back and optimize existing code.

My standing complaint is that they limit what you can put where in terms of the UI, and with 3 monitors at my disposal I'd really love to be able to stretch out--image on main monitor, thumbnails on the left monitor, adjustment panels on the right. Maybe in LR 12 we'll finally get a truly customizable interface.

Yohan Pamudji
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:21
Nope, I use Image Ingester to import, backup and add metadata to the files. Then I do a first sort (toss out the garbage), then I import without moving ;)

What kind of metadata are you adding to files and why do you do it outside of LR instead of tagging within LR?

You do your first sort outside of LR? Just flip through all the images with your OS's (Mac?) image viewer and delete as you go?

jrbdmb
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 13:31

it really doesn't bring anything new, minor brush change, some features copied from photoshop.
You can says this as many times as you want, does not make it true. I consider the updated Healing Brush and Upright tool are significant upgrades to me (it is worth it not to have to go to PSE to use the healing brush). And just because something is copied from PS doesn't make it less worthwhile for those of us who don't have PS. Whether it is worth it *to you* is a different question, of course.

Now if LR 6 goes subscription next year, LR 5 may be my last version for a while. :eek:

nekrosoft13
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 14:30
you missed the "really doesn't bring anything new" upright tool is nice, but same could have been done manually, and sometimes it still has to be, because automated tool gets it wrong sometimes.

And rest are just minor tweaks or copies from photoshop.

MCAsan
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 14:51
Got my upgrade installed. :D

I liked drawing lines with the beta clone tool and during radial filters to emphasize/de-epmphasize portion of a scene. With LR5 and Nik Suite, I doubt I need to invoke a pixel editor.

cutwater
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 16:59
Agree, it's a minor upgrade from LR4. Some things you could do before like perspective correction are now automated (haven't used enough to see how accurately). Overall, it does seem faster. Maybe it should have been LR4.5 instead of LR5...

Preeb
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 17:10

Which is a big advance if you don't own PS.

that was a issue with previous version, something that they should have fixed for free. You shouldn't have to buy a new version just to fix their screw up.

They did fix it for most systems. 4.1 was dodgy on mine when using the adjustment brushes. 4.3 fixed that and I've had no problems with it since.

What's with the complaints about importing. Doesn't everybody just do it the way I do? ;)

4. Load LR.

This way you put the files where you want and you name the folder whatever you please.

Or just create the new folder in the LR Import dialog and skip the added steps. ;)

Scatterbrained
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 17:32

4. Load LR.

You can do all of that from inside of lightroom, which is why I find it so odd when people complain about lightrooms default import settings. It's quite simple: Plug card into card reader,
click "import" in Lr,
select destination drive in right hand panel,
right click to create new folder,
create folder,
if you want to create a sub-folder click the sub-folder option in Lr and give it an appropriate name,
click "import". Done. IMO, faster and easier than doing it outside of Lr and then importing it into Lr.

digital paradise
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 19:07
I just create a file on my desktop and download the images there. I still like to cull using DPP using quick check because the images look so good in full screen. I delete unacceptable images then import to LR.

WildBill3081
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 22:27
You can do all of that from inside of lightroom, which is why I find it so odd when people complain about lightrooms default import settings. It's quite simple: Plug card into card reader,
click "import" in Lr,
select destination drive in right hand panel,
right click to create new folder,
create folder,
if you want to create a sub-folder click the sub-folder option in Lr and give it an appropriate name,
click "import". Done. IMO, faster and easier than doing it outside of Lr and then importing it into Lr.

+1^. I import, organize, edit, delete all within LR. If I need them in a new folder, sub-folder, specific file names, etc. I just create it on the right-hand panel upon initial import.

vertigo235
10th of June 2013 (Mon), 23:53
LR5 runs SOOOOO much faster than LR4 on my machine.

Worth the upgrade alone.

Hunt-man
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 00:39
I held out for LR5 to come out. Now I will have to actually buy LR when my demo is over in a few weeks. Glad it is not CC.

Bob_A
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 00:56
I just noticed the statement on the Adobe site that LR 5 is available as a free (stand alone with perpetual license) download for Creative Cloud members. Does this mean you just have to subscribe to a single app for a month (cancel at any time subscription), get LR then unsubscribe ... or do you need an annual subscription to qualify?

I couldn't find the details :)

sssc
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 00:57
I am really impressed with the speed of it.Didn't really have any complaints about LR4 but 5 seems to be really snappy on my machine :)

Todd Lambert
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 00:58
Upgraded through the Adobe Crappy Cloud... Meh, not impressed - back to Aperture I go.

sssc
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 00:58
I just noticed the statement on the Adobe site that LR 5 is available as a free (stand alone with perpetual license) download for Creative Cloud members. Does this mean you just have to subscribe to a single app for a month (cancel at any time subscription), get LR then unsubscribe ... or do you need an annual subscription to qualify?

Didn't know about that and they sure didn't say anything either.

sssc
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 01:15

From what i seeing here and there. You only get it if your a full CC member. If your doing a single app from them its a NO. Unless they change there minds. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151654133083464&set=a.117703788463.98904.5850453463&type=1

BigBadWolfie
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 03:57
Does LR5 have the same process system as LR4? Wondering if LR4 presets will work the same.

digital paradise
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 07:40
I just checked and all mine are working.

w9trb
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 07:48
I imported 307 jpg's. Fetched a cup of coffee and stepped outside for a bit. When I came back LR5 had completed import. Wished then I had paid attention to what time I started the process, but it certainly went well, leaving me with the impression that it is snappy. So far, I like it just fine. I bought stand-alone version,still not liking the CC choice Adobe wants me to pay forever for.

Mu Eugene
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 08:42
So far, no earth shattering jump from LR4 like others have noted. Yet some nice touches in lens correction -- perspective control -- interface. It's nice to be able to change grid size and opacity as I work on the images. As a predominantly architecture and interior photographer, this little touch is very helpful.
As I get to know 5 better, I'm sure I'll stumble upon some subtle but helpful improvements.

Stone 13
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 09:13
Performance for me is about the same as LR4 which was very good, I like the new features but expected a little more with this release. Everything working as expected but overall, a pretty skimpy upgrade. Only $79, so I bought it anyway, this seems more like LR 4.5 to me as well....

jjackflash
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 09:18
I have a 9 year old Dell that did not work well will Lightroom 4.......Lightroom 5 however works much much better on it......so for me the upgrade was a good thing!

NBEast
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 09:43
If you want speed, try SSD drive as C and move long term storage to D.

Or even just add SSD as D drive and put photos there.

I did this (LR3) and experienced about double the speed for just about everything, especially imports and paging between photos.

I now don't shy away from using full RAW.

Can't wait to up to LR5.

kirkt
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 09:48

4. Load LR.

I think the issue is that you have to import images into the LR database to actually edit images in LR. As opposed to ACR where all you need to do is find the images on your drive and open them. No importing.

Kirk

digital paradise
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 10:00
Removing LR4. Any tips for a MAC? Typically I just drag the Icon from the applications folder. The reason I ask is I used AppDelete (mac app) to remove CS5 and then I had all types of issues with CS6. I dragged LR4 into AppDelete and a long list came up. I cancelled it. It is not a big deal as I have tons of space on my drive, I just like thing to be tidy.

c1phr
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 11:16
Removing LR4. Any tips for a MAC? Typically I just drag the Icon from the applications folder. The reason I ask is I used AppDelete (mac app) to remove CS5 and then I had all types of issues with CS6. I dragged LR4 into AppDelete and a long list came up. I cancelled it. It is not a big deal as I have tons of space on my drive, I just like thing to be tidy.

Adobe seems to recommend just dragging the app to the trash as usual, and then they have a list of preference files and such that you might want to clean out too. I would be wary of using AppDelete on Adobe software, they have tons of intertwined dependencies that might break other Adobe software.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-4.html

digital paradise
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 11:25
That makes sense. I should have thought of Adobe vs Apple. Thanks for the info.

digital paradise
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:03
This is the only one I could not find. "folder" at the end does not make sense.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/Zenon1/Lightroom/Untitled_zps268e44c3.jpg~original

BamPhoto
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:18
NAPP members get 15% off, so upgrade is $67.15.

philodelphi
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:31
I want automated import to store images using the following directory structure: \YYYY\YYYY_MM\YYYY_MM_DD\ yet lightroom only offers \YYYY\YYYY-MM\YYYY-MM-DD\. I don't really feel like changing a storage scheme I have been using for years over something that Adobe could very easily allow me to implement by offering some customization of import settings. It's possible to add this by creating the necessary language file resource, the point is you shouldn't have to. If Adobe gave you set variables like YYYY, MM, DD, etc. you could separate them with just about anything you want and import to whatever directory structure you want.

I'm a programmer by day, and if you want, I could write you a little program that will change all your existing directory structures to the LR format. Then you'd be consistent. Just PM me if you want it.

Mark-B
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:38
Upgraded through the Adobe Crappy Cloud... Meh, not impressed - back to Aperture I go.

You either like Lightroom or you don't. The interface and module approach aren't going to change. As far as performance goes, LR5 is a huge improvement over LR4 and also runs better than Aperture. That's the first version of LR to do that. Improved performance combined with the lens corrections and highlight & shadows tool means that I'm sticking with Lightroom.

I used LR for years, followed by Aperture for years, then I've been editing the same pictures in both programs for the last several months. I think I'm finally ready to leave Aperture behind.

Mark-B
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:41

Annual subscription to the full suite, not just a single app.

Single app (Photoshop) + Lightroom for the single app price is what many people want. Adobe knows it and has acknowledged it; says something is in the works (but probably priced somewhere between single app and full suite).

Colorblinded
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:56
I'm a programmer by day, and if you want, I could write you a little program that will change all your existing directory structures to the LR format. Then you'd be consistent. Just PM me if you want it.

I appreciate the offer, I could probably eventually figure it out as I have done some programming but I would likely take a while to get it right. Unfortunately this would have a ripple effect on so many other things that are backed up/copied off my main photo drive that I'm really not sure I want to change it at this point anyway. I haven't switched to LR5 but I will have to deal with this silliness one way or another if I do.

Todd Lambert
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 13:41
You either like Lightroom or you don't. The interface and module approach aren't going to change. As far as performance goes, LR5 is a huge improvement over LR4 and also runs better than Aperture. That's the first version of LR to do that. Improved performance combined with the lens corrections and highlight & shadows tool means that I'm sticking with Lightroom.

I used LR for years, followed by Aperture for years, then I've been editing the same pictures in both programs for the last several months. I think I'm finally ready to leave Aperture behind.

Yeah, I hear ya. I've floated back and forth myself, but always drifted back to Aperture, mainly for the interface. There's been some rough times with Aperture, but overall, it's always been quicker for me.

I am not ready to jump to LR yet, because the deficiencies A3 has, for me, are fixed by plugins (Nik Dfine mainly) and I have high hopes for A4 which should be out before the Fall.

If I do not like where Apple goes with A4, then I will re-asses (again) at that time and see. For now, A3, plugins and of course PS, are still my preferred toolset.

Arob1000
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 19:09
I just wrote a blog post about LR5 with a bit of insight into the future of Photoshop/Lightroom. I included some links to videos that explain the new features well, I'm personally excited for being able to do almost all my post processing in Lightroom and weaning myself off of Photoshop, how about you guys?

http://aaronrobinsonphoto.blogspot.com/2013/06/lightroom-5-is-photoshop-necessary.html

Preeb
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 22:46
With a few bugs already reported and being worked on, I'm holding off until they get that sorted out. I can continue with LR4.4 until I get better reports about 5.

MCAsan
11th of June 2013 (Tue), 23:01
With a few bugs already reported and being worked on, I'm holding off until they get that sorted out. I can continue with LR4.4 until I get better reports about 5

LR 5 upgrade without problem. IT was the initial LR 4 release for Mac that sucked. It would not invoke their own editors (PS, PSE) or valid third parties like Nik. I spent hours on the phone with India on that mess.

Good overview videos of LR5 new features: http://photoshopuser.com/lightroom5/?utm_source=napp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=lr5+launch+news

Bob_A
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 00:43
I have LR5 up and running with zero issues. The brush feature addition to the Spot Removal tool is worth the upgrade for me. I'll be using CS6 even less now :)

DamianOz
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 03:12
Upgrading now

lsquare
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 03:15
I'm really interested in the Upright feature of LR5. Obviously parts of the image will be cropped out. How much extra space should I give to a photo so that after using Upright, I'll still have most of the important parts of the image intact rather than cropped out?

DamianOz
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 03:44
I'm really interested in the Upright feature of LR5. Obviously parts of the image will be cropped out. How much extra space should I give to a photo so that after using Upright, I'll still have most of the important parts of the image intact rather than cropped out?

How long is a piece of string? :confused:

BigBadWolfie
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 05:58
How's the healing brush compared to CS6's?

MCAsan
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 07:18
After upgrading yesterday wihout problem, this morning I removed the LR 4 app, backups, and catalog and got back over 30GB on my rMBP SSD. If you delete LR4 remember to one day remove the backups and catalog files.

hwan
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 11:29
Anyone find that the thumbnail generation during import is very slow in LR5? With LR4, the thumbnails load very quickly, but with LR5, I have to wait a while (~8 seconds) before the thumbnails show up. I'm importing raw only images.

Preeb
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 12:09
Images exported at less than 1/3 original size may have NR and output sharpening removed. There are also some bugs with the Publish services which may result in original images being deleted from your hard drive. That is straight from Adobe. Those bugs are significant enough for me to wait.

Mark-B
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 13:13

Do you not use the lens correction tool in LR4? It's the same thing, but LR5 just takes it's best guess at doing an automatic correction. I've found it to be good enough about 20% of the time on non-architecture shots and about 10% of the time on architecture shots. I still end up using the manual corrections anyway.

Mark-B
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 13:14
How's the healing brush compared to CS6's?

Slow with no precise control, and very resource intensive. If you have a lot to do, you're still better off with Photoshop.

squiLL
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 16:18
Pretty impressive so far.
I'm digging the new spot removal. I find myself making less trips to PS now..
A really nice upgrade from LR4

digital paradise
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 16:23
Less trips to PS is very good news. Have yet to test it.

nekrosoft13
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 16:55
Do you not use the lens correction tool in LR4? It's the same thing, but LR5 just takes it's best guess at doing an automatic correction. I've found it to be good enough about 20% of the time on non-architecture shots and about 10% of the time on architecture shots. I still end up using the manual corrections anyway.

yap, a lot of time its not even near right.

Its like automatic WB or tone, often wrong.

carshop
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 17:59
I find LR5 faster.

GeminiZ
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 18:59
Looks like LR5 is my next choice for the studio. Just hate to have to do watched folder technique for tethered capture with my 6D.

Arob1000
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 21:08
Pretty impressive so far.
I'm digging the new spot removal. I find myself making less trips to PS now..
A really nice upgrade from LR4

Exactly my thoughts! Photoshop isn't really necessary much anymore!

gjl711
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 21:12
Exactly my thoughts! Photoshop isn't really necessary much anymore!Depends on your style. LR is a nice program, catalogs well, and does basic adjustments ok. But it is not a decent photo editor. Try stacking, panos, combine elements, remove elements, layers, hdr, and so much more. Na, LR is not ready to take over PS just yet. Maybe for the pure photographer but not if you want to get creative.

Arob1000
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 21:49
Depends on your style. LR is a nice program, catalogs well, and does basic adjustments ok. But it is not a decent photo editor. Try stacking, panos, combine elements, remove elements, layers, hdr, and so much more. Na, LR is not ready to take over PS just yet. Maybe for the pure photographer but not if you want to get creative.

I still use Photoshop for pano's but that's about it with Lightroom able to clone now. For the rest of it I use NIK software, Color EFEX PRO, Silver EFEX PRO, and HDR EFEX Pro.

Bob_A
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 22:12
Slow with no precise control, and very resource intensive. If you have a lot to do, you're still better off with Photoshop.

I agree with that. It's much better than the LR 4 spot tool but is not close to being a replacement for the content aware Spot Healing Brush in CS6. For files from my digital cameras it'll probably be all I need 99% of the time, but it's not useful for things like photo restoration (B&W film scans) or if you need to remove significant elements from an image.

mwsilver
12th of June 2013 (Wed), 22:31
I downloaded the new version yesterday. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but so far it seems faster than version 4.4. One thing I did notice immediately was that the auto feature in the Basic panel of develop is significantly more accurate than in the previous version. I know there are many here that think the auto feature is terrible. I and many others use it just as a string point. But on the dozen or so pictures I've tried it on in version 5, the results were much closer to the settings I would have chosen. Time will tell when my initial assessment of that feature holds up.

BigBadWolfie
13th of June 2013 (Thu), 01:05
I'm on the fence on the upgrade since I actually do most of my work in PS using PS plugins.

digital paradise
13th of June 2013 (Thu), 01:35
If you are not doing al lot of mass edits then PS is just fine. That is where LR shines for me. I use both as as required. I Iike my actions in PS.

BamPhoto
13th of June 2013 (Thu), 08:09
Most plugins work in LR.
I'm on the fence on the upgrade since I actually do most of my work in PS using PS plugins.

digital paradise
13th of June 2013 (Thu), 08:12
Yes I was going to say that as well. I have a few older ones that don't so I decided not to.

lsquare
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 05:10

I don't use the lens correction tool in LR4. I'm not very good at doing those kind of manual corrections. The reason why I ask how much space to give the image before I take it is because I know after correction, parts of the image will need to be cropped.

gjl711
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 05:16
I don't use the lens correction tool in LR4. I'm not very good at doing those kind of manual corrections. The reason why I ask how much space to give the image before I take it is because I know after correction, parts of the image will need to be cropped.A response was given earlier "how long is a piece of string". It's a accurate response as that it depends on how far off you are. If your are only 1 degree off then the correction will be minimal with maybe a few pixels shaved off the corners. If your 10 degrees off, then much more will be lost. If your 45 degrees off, most of the picture will be lost.

mak65
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 14:49
I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5? I am thinking of upgrading to 5 before Adobe makes everything Cloud based.

Thanks

Arob1000
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 21:46
I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5? I am thinking of upgrading to 5 before Adobe makes everything Cloud based.

Thanks

Word on the street is that Lightroom isn't going to be only cloud-based and will be sold as a separate product, who knows how long that will last though.

Preeb
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 22:16
I have LR 3.6. I know a lot of those who upgraded to 4 stated it handled noise reduction and other items much better than 3. But, they also said it was slow. I see a few comments here that the speed is faster on 5. Since i never used 4 how slow was it in comparison to the speed of 5?

Thanks

This question can be answered as above -"How long is a string?" Comments ranged for those who considered LR4 to be unusable, to those like me for whom response was virtually instantaneous. From Version 4.2 on, I never had any trouble with it, even when making extensive use of the adjustment brushes. There are some for whom LR4 was slow who are saying that LR5 is not, so take that for what it's worth.

mak65
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 22:44
Thanks Arob and Preeb. Can anyone tell me, since LR 3 was my first version will the LR 5 upgrade work or would I have to buy the full package?

DamianOz
14th of June 2013 (Fri), 23:50
When you upgrade online, you will select your current version from a drop down box
I'm not certain, but as far as i could see, the price is the same.
You could go through the process online and check with out confirming the order

lsquare
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 02:30

Thanks

What are the specs of your PC? I just upgraded to LR5 and it's as fast as LR4 on my machine, which is fast...

I am using a Core i5 4.0ghz processor with 16GB of RAM, SSD, and Radeon 6870. Nothing is ever really slow except maybe the develop module where there is a noticeable brief lag. It's less than a second, but nonetheless, it's noticeable.

Bakewell
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 09:48
Thanks Arob and Preeb. Can anyone tell me, since LR 3 was my first version will the LR 5 upgrade work or would I have to buy the full package?
You can upgrade from ANY version of LR...US $79

mclaren777
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 11:05
I'm still surprised they didn't release an updated version of the beta before launching LR5. Judging from the issues I'm hearing about, they probably should have.

I will probably upgrade from 4.4 when 5.1 is released.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-5-hot-issues.html (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/lightroom-5-hot-issues.html)

Bianchi
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 13:04

You need to sign up for a year. It links back to the mothership monthly to stay active, so if you bought it from cloud, thinking you'll use it for a month, and then unsubcribe, you will not be able to use it.

Bianchi
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 13:34
After upgrading yesterday wihout problem, this morning I removed the LR 4 app, backups, and catalog and got back over 30GB on my rMBP SSD. If you delete LR4 remember to one day remove the backups and catalog files.

So when upgrading to LR5 does it copy everything from LR4 and put it into LR5.

If so, then I can see why you would want to delete all you recommend to.

tonylong
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 16:51
So when upgrading to LR5 does it copy everything from LR4 and put it into LR5.

If so, then I can see why you would want to delete all you recommend to.

When you install a new "full" version of LR, then yes it creates a new copy of your catalog files and saves them using a version-specific name, so yes you can delete the LR4 catalog and preview files. The new version will also go through your LR4 develop settings and will attempt to "translate" them to the new version, although with new features or revised tools you may need to do some work to get them to "behave".

In fact, that's a reason why I haven't deleted older versions. At least for a bit, I might want to reference old work I've done.

Yohan Pamudji
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 22:32
When you install a new "full" version of LR, then yes it creates a new copy of your catalog files and saves them using a version-specific name, so yes you can delete the LR4 catalog and preview files. The new version will also go through your LR4 develop settings and will attempt to "translate" them to the new version, although with new features or revised tools you may need to do some work to get them to "behave".

In fact, that's a reason why I haven't deleted older versions. At least for a bit, I might want to reference old work I've done.

Previous versions allowed you to keep the "process version" of a given picture so upgrading didn't necessarily mean that all existing work gets translated to the newest version. I'm assuming that's still the case going from 4 to 5. I don't have 5 so can't say for sure, but 5 might even still be using "PV2010", which is what 4 used, which means no translation at all.

mwsilver
15th of June 2013 (Sat), 23:33
Previous versions allowed you to keep the "process version" of a given picture so upgrading didn't necessarily mean that all existing work gets translated to the newest version. I'm assuming that's still the case going from 4 to 5. I don't have 5 so can't say for sure, but 5 might even still be using "PV2010", which is what 4 used, which means no translation at all.

I believe the default for LR version 4.4 was process 2012, not 2010. Version 5 continues with process 2012. There are no new process changes.

carshop
16th of June 2013 (Sun), 07:46
How do you delete previous version catalogs and preview files?
Thanks

nekrosoft13
16th of June 2013 (Sun), 11:21
you go to the folder were its located and you select the file (for older catalog) and press delete.

Yohan Pamudji
16th of June 2013 (Sun), 21:14
I believe the default for LR version 4.4 was process 2012, not 2010. Version 5 continues with process 2012. There are no new process changes.

You're right--we're on PV2012 in v4. Thanks for the info on v5. Good to know the process version hasn't changed for v5.

mwsilver
16th of June 2013 (Sun), 21:47
You're right--we're on PV2012 in v4. Thanks for the info on v5. Good to know the process version hasn't changed for v5.

They don't change the process very often. Prior to 2012, there was 2010 and 2003.

Bob_A
16th of June 2013 (Sun), 22:02
Anyone doing a lot of keyword and geotagging updates and finding that LR5 really gets bogged down to the point it pretty much stalls? LR4 never seemed to exhibit this behavior. I even had difficulty getting control of the mouse cursor to use task manager to kill the process.

René Damkot
17th of June 2013 (Mon), 10:43
What kind of metadata are you adding to files and why do you do it outside of LR instead of tagging within LR?

You do your first sort outside of LR? Just flip through all the images with your OS's (Mac?) image viewer and delete as you go?

Oops. Late reply.

I put the original filename into the metadata. No way to do that in LR that I know of. Handy if someone renames a file to "portrait1" and then wants an enlargement ;)

I still (also) use Expression Media for cataloging (and the first sort), since I owned that before LR.
Advantages are that it can write metadata into the CR2 file (no more .xmp files) and I can use macros and scripts., which offer a lot more flexibility then LR does.
It's also faster, since I can judge sharpness well enough on the built in jpg ;)

davidcrebelxt
17th of June 2013 (Mon), 12:34
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this release is a bit lack-luster. While I think the new clone-brush and auto-straightening might be useful, its not worth the upgrade price (to me.)

I jumped direclty from LR1 to 2 because of the big improvements... I held off on v3 so the jump from 2 to 4 was big! Looks like I'll be waiting for LR6... (and hoping they don't somehow change licencing policies.)

shabbs
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 12:23

I downloaded the Lightroom 4.4 trial a couple of weeks ago and liked it so much I bought a copy right away. I did not realize LR5 was just around the corner but luckily I qualified for a free upgrade to LR5 due to my LR4 purchase being so close to their announcement. As a relative newbie to post processing in general, I've been very impressed with LR in general with it's workflow/image management as well as the breadth of tools that come with it. Exploring all the various presets that are available out there has been an eye opener as to what you can do once you take the photo. An eye opener for me for sure.

Refill
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 14:17
Anyone doing a lot of keyword and geotagging updates and finding that LR5 really gets bogged down to the point it pretty much stalls? LR4 never seemed to exhibit this behavior. I even had difficulty getting control of the mouse cursor to use task manager to kill the process.

Consider yourself lucky if Lr4 is running fine! For me both are already too slow to browse efficiently!

I deleted everything. I won't consider it again for personal use, at least if performances stay the same.

nekrosoft13
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 14:33
get SSD drive and you will never complain about speed again.

McNeese72
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 16:13
I downloaded the Lightroom 4.4 trial a couple of weeks ago and liked it so much I bought a copy right away. I did not realize LR5 was just around the corner but luckily I qualified for a free upgrade to LR5 due to my LR4 purchase being so close to their announcement. As a relative newbie to post processing in general, I've been very impressed with LR in general with it's workflow/image management as well as the breadth of tools that come with it. Exploring all the various presets that are available out there has been an eye opener as to what you can do once you take the photo. An eye opener for me for sure.

What day did you purchase it? I bought LR4 on May 12th. I applied for the complimentary upgrade on the Adobe website with a scanned copy of my Amazon receipt last Friday. But as of today, I have not heard anything whether yes or no.

Doc

shabbs
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 17:43
What day did you purchase it? I bought LR4 on May 12th. I applied for the complimentary upgrade on the Adobe website with a scanned copy of my Amazon receipt last Friday. But as of today, I have not heard anything whether yes or no.
I purchased mine on May 25th, 2013, also from Amazon. I submitted the case, uploaded the receipt and it took a few days for them to get back initially as I'm sure they were fielding a lot of requests like that at the time. Once they picked up the case it was not too long until they sent the download/license number details.

June 10th was the official announcement for LR5. I think the window is 30 days, so hopefully you are good.

McNeese72
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 20:24
I purchased mine on May 25th, 2013, also from Amazon. I submitted the case, uploaded the receipt and it took a few days for them to get back initially as I'm sure they were fielding a lot of requests like that at the time. Once they picked up the case it was not too long until they sent the download/license number details.

June 10th was the official announcement for LR5. I think the window is 30 days, so hopefully you are good.

Thanks for the info.

Doc

Preeb
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 20:48

There is more to it than that. I don't have an SSD, yet LR4.4 and LR 5 beta both ran well in my laptop. There is at least one guy I know of who has a super system and he never could get LR4 to work for him. On some systems there is a conflict that just won't allow it to run smoothly.

Bob_A
18th of June 2013 (Tue), 20:59
Consider yourself lucky if Lr4 is running fine! For me both are already too slow to browse efficiently!

I deleted everything. I won't consider it again for personal use, at least if performances stay the same.

Sorry, but LR4 worked perfectly fine for me and for 99% of what I'm doing LR5 is the same if not slightly better. LR5 just seems to have some sort of resource leak that LR4 didn't suffer from when doing large amounts of keywording or geotagging (thousands of images in 50 to 250 image "lots" during a session).

What are your computer specs? Mine is "old" but still powerful enough - i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz, 12GB RAM running at 1600,Win 7 Pro, OS running on a SSD, 6GB/s WD HDD data drive with close to 1TB free space.

mannetti21
19th of June 2013 (Wed), 17:39
So get this, I purchased LR4 on 5/21/2012, but decided eh, what the heck, I'll apply for the complimentary upgrade anyways and see what happens. I submitted a copy of my proof of purchase, and they approved me for the upgrade. :mrgreen:

How is that even possible?

mwsilver
19th of June 2013 (Wed), 18:58
There is more to it than that. I don't have an SSD, yet LR4.4 and LR 5 beta both ran well in my laptop. There is at least one guy I know of who has a super system and he never could get LR4 to work for him. On some systems there is a conflict that just won't allow it to run smoothly.

I personally have run Lightroom on three different computers including a 4 year old desktop, a 5 year old laptop and a brand new Windows 8 desktop. While it ran slower on the older machines, performance on all three was new quite acceptable. It's really all about how your machine is configured. It also helps if you understand how resources are allocated and how to get the best performance out of your computer.

McNeese72
19th of June 2013 (Wed), 19:25
So get this, I purchased LR4 on 5/21/2012, but decided eh, what the heck, I'll apply for the complimentary upgrade anyways and see what happens. I submitted a copy of my proof of purchase, and they approved me for the upgrade. :mrgreen:

I got email today that they are sending my case to the dedicated team for the complimentary upgrade. So there is hope for me.

Looks like somebody misread the date on your request.

Doc

shabbs
19th of June 2013 (Wed), 19:27

WOW! Hilarious. I guess they misread the year. Good for you.

shabbs
19th of June 2013 (Wed), 19:28
I got email today that they are sending my case to the dedicated team for the complimentary upgrade. So there is hope for me.
Should not be long now for you.

McNeese72
20th of June 2013 (Thu), 07:45
Should not be long now for you.

You were right on. Woke up this morning to see emails from Adobe telling me that the complimentary upgrade was approved and to go to Your Downloads in my My Adobe account to download LR5. :lol:

Downloading now.

Doc

Refill
20th of June 2013 (Thu), 08:37

Nor sure about that. My first complain was about browsing RAWS, 1/1 previews, so it's probably not about disk read/write speed, but more about processor and RAM. This has been discussed before, and from other posters experience, there is not much to do about it, except using another software for the first step, preview and selection of large quantities of RAWS.