PDA

View Full Version : Do eagles eat ducks ?

Blue Deuce
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 12:44
Dissapointed he didnt fly in towards me. I can't tell what kind of bird he has caught. Any ideas ?

Paul A
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 13:05
Mama Mia, what a capture, way to go Deuce!!!!! Looks like a chicken??

lon10c
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 13:11
This, to me, is a very interesting shot. Wildlife photos should tell a story and give us a glimpse of what it is truly like to live in the wild. Sad, gory? Maybe? But thats the way it is.

Dang, it's to bad he wasn't coming at you.

I caught a fleeting glimp
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
Pink Floyd

racketman
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 13:20
look like the toes of a water bird anyway.

Action_Man
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 13:23
Nice shot indeed, the bird to me looks like an American Coot, i`m going by the feet ...

Paul A
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 13:26
Nice shot indeed, the bird to me looks like an American Coot, i`m going by the feet ...

Yeah it has a beak that looks white like a coot as well. Coots have paddle like expanded toes, the left toe looks like that.

sam walker
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 14:16
mallards and coots are on the menu here.
Sam

CyberDyneSystems
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 14:58
Wow... there's something you don't see every day.

Our local Bald Eagle once brought home a Canada goose to the nest!

mojo_uk
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 15:50
Great shot :) Birds are never predictable in flight but you did a very good job of getting a great moment all the same. BTW I think it's got a Coot.

Gary Fairhead
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:39
Good timing and great capture:D

Yola
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:43
WOW .. thats a keeper of shots its not daily look . I would be screaming and shooting my camera a real flipped out chick ! My neighbors would have probably called the police thinking I was being attacked . Amazing >> I hate the fact that they prey { yet its their survival }

Awesome timing .

scott stokes
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 17:14
great capture. thanks for sharing.

kr88
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 19:30
Gives new meaning to "Bringinh home the bacon"...Nice capture Duece!

iof
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 19:58
Any idea of the age of that coot, cuz if the eagles are taking old coots, I'm staying indoors.

stoneylonesome
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 20:35
Bald eagles are manly fish eaters, but when the stomach rumbles anything looks like food.:lol: :lol: I saw 2 of them feasting on a sea gull. Great shot by the way.

Stephen Stephen
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 20:47
Interesting behaviour shot BD. I'm voting for a coot.

tpetty
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 21:49
What a capture! Looks to be a half eaten Coot

KaplanMultimedia
5th of February 2006 (Sun), 22:50
Any idea of the age of that coot, cuz if the eagles are taking old coots, I'm staying indoors.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Me too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great capture. :D

crazyea
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 00:24
Yes they certainly do, remember back to this post of mine......eating a mallard that day.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119849

BIGTUFFGUY
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 00:26
very nice capture. hope the eagle had a good meal

cfcRebel
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 11:19
Nice shot BD! That eagle must be really hungry.

DDA
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 12:47
Great shots! And yes, they do eat ducks. I saw one eating a Common Goldeneye http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126312

DDA

Mitcon
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 14:49
Amazing stuff Blue and very exciting.

plater
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 17:02
Great shot. Never seen one with anything but fish.
Bruce

superdiver
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 17:31
Saw one cart of the neighbors cat once....only about 20 feet over my head...

Up hear with all our eagles orange tabbies dont last long outside....kinda like a "birth target"....

WayneStPaul
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 20:41
The people at the National Eagle Center in Winona Minnesota say that Bald Eagles generally eat things that have died. It is very rare for a Bald Eagle to actually kill somthing. When you see a BAld Eagle take a fish from a river, it is usually a dead fish floating down the river that they grab. I would guess it is the same for the waterfowls captured here. I don't know if this is the same for other eagles or not.

The other thing that they told us,is that Eagles will go after small animals like dogs and cats, if the dog or cat follows a regular schedule, the eagle will watch the animal for days or weeks learning the schedule, then take the animal when it knows that it is vulnerable.

Was an interesting talk.

Blue Deuce
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 21:01
Thanks for the interesting info.

I do know the man who has the eagles nest behind his home has said all the cats have dissapeared over the last couple of years as well as a daschund.

crazyea
7th of February 2006 (Tue), 10:59
The people at the National Eagle Center in Winona Minnesota say that Bald Eagles generally eat things that have died. It is very rare for a Bald Eagle to actually kill somthing. When you see a BAld Eagle take a fish from a river, it is usually a dead fish floating down the river that they grab. I would guess it is the same for the waterfowls captured here. I don't know if this is the same for other eagles or not.

The other thing that they told us,is that Eagles will go after small animals like dogs and cats, if the dog or cat follows a regular schedule, the eagle will watch the animal for days or weeks learning the schedule, then take the animal when it knows that it is vulnerable.

Was an interesting talk.

I guess it matters who you talk to, as I read on a few sites that they are such good hunters that they rarely eat carrion...... go figure.

graykita
7th of February 2006 (Tue), 11:30
That is being at the right place at the right time and ready with the camera. Excellent capture.

md_129
7th of February 2006 (Tue), 11:36
Wow, this is an amazing catch. I mean the image. I guess that eagle was really hungry!

bogleric
7th of February 2006 (Tue), 11:45
Very nice capture. Many times at the cabin up north I have seen Bald Eagles snatch fish right out of the lack with a loud "smack" noise. Unfortunately I have not had a great capture of this.

Blackburnian
7th of February 2006 (Tue), 12:50
Poor Coot....

Good timing!

Marc