PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Blossoms in D.C. Late March

Pages : [1] 2

SuzyView
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 15:49
Calling all POTN Members in DC/VA/MD!

Schedule a trip to the Jefferson Memorial and around the Basin where the Cherry Blossom Festival takes place over a two-week period. Meet at the Jefferson. Walk around for a while and maybe grab a bit at the Mall. There are lots of places to take pictures. The Holocaust Museum is around the corner, the Mint is close by, the Mall is right there.

Should meet mid-week, around 10-11 a.m. as Mondays are bad, the pollution from the weekends are awful. Any later and it will be crowded. The Cherry Blossom website should be coming up soon. We can decide on a day for best blossoms. :)

Let's go!

staciecd
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 16:09
I thought that they already posted the cherry blossom dates... March 25 - Ap 9. http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=390

I have yet to go, so this year I hope to be there with a new camera.

Stacie

SuzyView
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 16:52
Great! Listening to the news, I think the last week in March may be best. If the warm weather comes back, it will come earlier. Last year the last day of the festival was windy and all the blossoms came off the trees prematurely. It was sad.

Jon
6th of February 2006 (Mon), 17:42
I thought that they already posted the cherry blossom dates... March 25 - Ap 9. http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=390

I have yet to go, so this year I hope to be there with a new camera.

Stacie
That's the festival as a whole. NPS has a "Bloom Watch" link there which will let us see how things are going. Cherry blossoms don't always do what parade organizers want.
:{)#

ANd, hey - as of right now we're tied with the Kiwis for most threads on (default) page 1

Togra4
10th of February 2006 (Fri), 15:12
in the 30 years ive lived just outside dc i still have never been to the cherry blossom festival. im a bad native.....now i cant wait to go!!! Crud, i need a lens....hopefully ill get my 70-200 4l by then?????????????? yikes. :):)

SuzyView
10th of February 2006 (Fri), 15:23
Come and be with us, Tracy. It will be fun! Bring whatever lenses you have.

Wrench
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 19:55
Ooo, ooo, ooo. Me too me too!!! :)

SuzyView
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 19:56
Love to see you, Tony! If the snow melts. :)

Togra4
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 06:35
No Kidding, Suzy! I cant believe we are actually getting the snow they predicted...lol....its 7:32am and its still going strong. We've got 8 inches so far in southern Anne Arundle County Md. I gotta get my boots on and get trekking....I am only 2 blocks from the bay and its awesome in the snow.....whoo hoo!!!!!

SuzyView
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 06:38
Lucky you. I'm here in the heart of Northern VA and it's not looking like I'm going out today. We had rain all day and then snow, about 9 inches so far. I woke up to this. There is a new thread about the snow in DC. Post some. I am going to post mine from this morning right now.

Have fun!

SuzyView
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 11:12
With all this snow, there won't be any blossoms any time soon. I hope.

SuzyView
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 08:52
Here are two from last Spring. I went with some parents in my neighborhood and their kids. It was a day there was school, but we skipped, took the kids on the bus from Woodbridge and had a great day. It was a little cold, but not bad. The sun was amazing. Hope you enjoy. Let's get everyone out for this trip in March. :D

pyterps
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 09:27
Please include me in this trip as I love to walk around town and take pictures. I live in the Woodbridge area. dperry@isicns.com

R. Lawrence
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 11:47
I made the trip to the Cherry Blossoms last year at its peak. There are a TON of photo possibilities around that area. I'll have to pull some of them up and post.

Bob

FIRST POST !!!!

SuzyView
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 12:18
Welcome, Bob! It would be great if you can post some photos as well.

And pyterps, I'm here in Manassas! Was in Woodbridge at Sam's Club today. :)

We are still planning late March. So, let's keep our calendars open.

In2Photos
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 15:53
In NC our Cherrys have already started blooming. It's crazy. They are way to early, but it has been pretty warm this winter. Hope you guys enjoy.

SuzyView
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 15:54
Should take a few pictures for us!

In2Photos
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 15:57

I might be able to. I have a lot going on right now, but I will see what I can do.

pyterps
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 16:56
Suzie...I sure will keep the calendar open and if you have an e-mail group for this please add me to it....dperry@isicns.com.

dave

SuzyView
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 18:02
I am looking at the calendar for March. The blossoms may just come out earlier than the festival. I am estimating Wednesday March 22, 11:00 a.m. or the week after, March 29. We can meet at the Tidal Basin somewhere by the street where the US Mint is. Plan on walking around the Basin for about an hour taking pictures. Then we can dodge into the A&S Museum or Natural History Museum, which close by, and have lunch. We can consider going up the Washington Monument, get special permission (see if I can do that). There are several memorials that are great for picture taking. The Jefferson is at the Basin. We can all sneak into the A&S Museum to see MARS ROVER or another IMAX movie. Those are always wonderful. I have a Smithsonian membership so we can buy stuff with a discount (I know, I'm into everything).

Food for thought anyway.

In2Photos
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 19:48

Suzie, here you go. I snapped these on the way home today.

SuzyView
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 19:49
Nice. Makes me think spring is just around the corner. But alas, the 75 degree weather is changing tomorrow and it will be cold again. I bet the trees are totally confused. :)

Wrench
16th of February 2006 (Thu), 21:03
Yeah, Suzy. I hope they don't start to bloom then get frozen off when the temps plummet this weekend. We've got some bushes and trees in the yard that have started to bud already :(

SuzyView
17th of February 2006 (Fri), 04:23
It's particularly bad around D.C. because they have the warmth from the city. Here in VA, it's not that bad, but if we don't have cold nights, we'll have that same issue. I think this cold weekend will either kill the buds or slow them down. It's only February, dang it! :(

Jon
4th of March 2006 (Sat), 14:55
So the latest tentative dates are Mar. 29-30? Subject to further refinement as we get closer to the day.

SuzyView
4th of March 2006 (Sat), 16:00
So far, free on March 29-30, what time are we thinking?

FYI, my little bulbs are coming up already. What's the prediction on the cherry blossoms?

Jon
4th of March 2006 (Sat), 17:26
I work just blocks away, 7th & D SW, so can get there in no time. My workday starts at 7:15 (which will miss sunrise, but I could always catch the 5:55 instead of the 6:35).

BottomBracket
4th of March 2006 (Sat), 18:09
Hmmmm. I may be in the DC area around March 30 and 31. School's out for my son and we may be visiting relatives. If there's a meeting on the 30th I just might make it.

Jon
5th of March 2006 (Sun), 09:36
Keep in touch and we'll let you know how to hook up if it looks good. The more the merrier!

BottomBracket
5th of March 2006 (Sun), 10:13
Thanks :) I'm in Maryland around 4 times a year, visiting close relatives in Germantown. I try to find time to visit the Mall's museums - such a great place to expand one's mind. My son tags along sometimes, but he has a shorter attention span than I mine, and would rather play with his cousins. But I digress - I hope it works out, the meeting that is.

SuzyView
5th of March 2006 (Sun), 14:54
I had to take my husband and 2 little boys to the aquarium last time. I wish I could have spent more time with the guys there, but it was fun what time we did get together. The blossoms are really wonderful and your son will love the new museums. I'm wondering, Jon, if I should try to get tickets for the Washington Monument?

Jon
5th of March 2006 (Sun), 15:41
It's been a great while - I don't recall being able to see too much out the windows. Think it's worth trying to get photos of the Tidal Basin from there?

SuzyView
5th of March 2006 (Sun), 16:35
Don't know, but I will ask my neighbor who is a captain for the secret service. He can point me to the right direction. Maybe we need permits and such. I think I can get clearance, but don't know. I have "never" been to the top of the Washington Monument because of my fear of heights, but I heard that you have to get tickets beforehand. The Holocaust Museum is another place I haven't visited yet. Been to the Mint and all the other Smithsonians. I have a membership so I can get 20% off stuff at the stores and discount for food. :)

Jon
6th of March 2006 (Mon), 09:03
You do have to get tickets. Free on the day, while they last or$1.50 each with $0.50/order service charge in advance. I'm in Smithsonian RAP as well. Monument's managed by NPS. They might want permits for "professional" photographers - which they'd probably identify as a bunch of people with big white lenses and tripods. Washington Monument (http://www.nps.gov/wamo/) on NPS site. I found a link to photos out the 4 windows last night but it's gone today.

Jon
10th of March 2006 (Fri), 09:40
Peak Bloom (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/09/AR2006030900915.html) is predicted for Mar. 30.

SuzyView
10th of March 2006 (Fri), 14:14
Sounds like a fine day. Let's meet that morning.

staciecd
10th of March 2006 (Fri), 17:27
I wish that I could get off work :-(

spencer87
10th of March 2006 (Fri), 21:45
Sounds like a fine day. Let's meet that morning.

what time do you plan on meeting? I have an exam in Catonsville from 8:30-9:30.

Jon
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 10:28
The 29th would do just as well for me, if that's any better for everyone else. You couldn't get there before 11:00 from Catonsville, either because of finding parking or for taking Metro, however I expect we'll be around for at least a couple of hours before lunch.

staciecd
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 10:44
I can get off on the 29th...

Jon
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 15:30
There's free WiFi (http://www.openpark.net/) along a lot of the Mall. If I tuck the Libretto into the bag we can maybe set a new time-to-post record for a POTN trip!

SuzyView
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 15:34
Wonderful. I do have that capability with the cellphone, but can't remember how to do it. I have wireless on my laptop as well. But I don't think I can haul all my gear there due to my back acting up. Either day is fine with me. I already told the schools I sub at that my days are taken. We should consider weather. Should we have rain or shine? First year I took pictures it was 40 degrees, cold and cloudy. Last year it was 50s and wonderful. It's only in 2 weeks so we should be starting on the final plans.

spencer87
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 16:52
my laptop is pretty small so i could bring that for us to use. the 30th would work better for me than the 29th

SuzyView
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 19:42
Okay, we're going to have to work this out the hard way. Whoever is planning on meeting, please post and I think the best way to decide on the date is to watch for the weather, which of the two days is best, what do you guys think?

Wrench
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 20:33
I plan on being there. Either day works for me as of now.

JimAskew
12th of March 2006 (Sun), 21:00
Suzie,

I'll try to join up...I have made the past 7 seasons in a row :-)

Here is my all time favorite Cherry Bloosom picture...taken with my first ever digital. A Casio with 640x480 resolution...we sure have come a long ways in a few short years. I named this shot "Art Imitates Life"

I look forward to meeting everyone. Please keep me in the loop... jaskew1@cox.net (loop...jaskew1@cox.net)

Jim

Jon
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 06:25
Either day. I'm already the other end of the Mall from there - just need to know which day to turn in the 4-5 hours of leave for.

SuzyView
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 06:28
I would like to accommodate both days because it's sad not to have everyone together. Can we all try to work hard on the 29th since the blossoms are already starting? It was pretty warm here this weekend.

staciecd
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 08:09
I'm not 100%, but can make the 29th easier than the 30th.

In2Photos
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 09:02
Just to let you guys know the Cherries are starting to bloom here in NC. I am not sure what variey I photographed earlier, but the Yoshinos are pushing some blooms after the 80+ degree weather this past weekend.

SuzyView
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 14:09
I know. The blossoms are opening here in Woodbridge and Manassas. I noticed as I was shopping for my t.v. Maybe we should consider next week.

SuzyView
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 14:09
Jon, can you look outside your window?

Jon
13th of March 2006 (Mon), 17:54
Yes, but there aren't any cherry trees there!

pyterps
14th of March 2006 (Tue), 06:46
The 29th or 30th will work for me also, do we have a time frame we are shooting for?

Dave

Jon
14th of March 2006 (Tue), 12:23
10ish? IIRC that's when parking opens (and instantly fills) up. Maybe at the parking lot by the Tidal Basin Boathouse (http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/nacc/ppMaps/map_final2.pdf)?

CoolToolGuy
14th of March 2006 (Tue), 12:51
Geez, I'm jealous - my weekends are full with trips out of state from Friday to Sunday, so I have to cram a week's worth of the day job into 4 days. Not a prayer of shooting DC cherry blossoms, especially during the week.

My only saving grace is that my weekends are spent in Traverse City, MI which is the Cherry Capital (of the USA if not the world). In fact, my brother's house borders on a cherry orchard and all I have to do is walk next door. They are there for fruit, not beauty, but I'll have to see what I can capture.

Y'all have fun, now - hear?

chinabuddie
14th of March 2006 (Tue), 15:06
I'm from Manassas.. new to POTN.. interested in joining up with you all and taking some pictures in D.C.

SuzyView
14th of March 2006 (Tue), 15:17
Hey, I'm in Manassas too. I'm taking the Omnibus from behind Target in Woodbridge to get to the Basin. Want to go up together? You can PM and we can have details.

chinabuddie
15th of March 2006 (Wed), 20:51
The omnibus behind the target goes directly to D.C.? i usually drive my car to the vienna metro and then take the metro to the smithsonian stop. i'm not sure if i'm going yet.. haven't looked at my schedule for work

SuzyView
15th of March 2006 (Wed), 21:44
One of the bus lines from that station goes to the Mall, right in front of the Mint. Saves so much driving and you don't have to pay for parking.

chinabuddie
17th of March 2006 (Fri), 01:25
One of the bus lines from that station goes to the Mall, right in front of the Mint. Saves so much driving and you don't have to pay for parking. Really??? Where is this 'bus station' located? Is it the one by Target in Manassas Mall? Or is this a different Target? How much does it cost to ride the bus.. and how often does the bus go up there (incase I miss a return ride back).. sorry I've never rode on Omnilink before.. cause normally when I go to D.C. it's like $3.75 for parking at the metro station and then $6.50 for all day pass on the metro.. so basically like $10 for a trip to d.c. And what day is everyone going again? the 29th or 30th?

SuzyView
17th of March 2006 (Fri), 14:39
It's at parking area behind the Target in Woodbridge, where 95 entrance is. You're thinking of the Target in Manassas by the train. All you need to do is go down Prince William Parkway to the 95 entrance there. Good luck. You don't have to pay for parking, but the tokens are purchased in 10s. We can talk about how to get there when the time is closer.

Actionphotog
18th of March 2006 (Sat), 13:38
Well Folks I may make it into DC on the 29 0r 30. I'm coming from Luray VA.
I'll more than likely take the metro in from Vienna.
Hope to see some of you there

Jon
18th of March 2006 (Sat), 17:14
Keep us posted and we'll let you know where we're collecting.

chinabuddie
18th of March 2006 (Sat), 20:07
So is there a definiate date?

SuzyView
18th of March 2006 (Sat), 20:21
Not yet. We are still trying to decide 29th or 30th.

Jon
19th of March 2006 (Sun), 13:08
Looks like:
staciecd - 3/29
spencer87 - 3/30 (prob. 11ish) better
BottomBracket - 3/30? (visiting NY POTN)
JimAskew - Either
Jon - 3/30
SuzyView - Either
pyterps - Either
actionphotog - Either
chinabuddie - Either

Any additions or corrections?
Current 10-day on TWC is getting cloudy/showers on the 27th, 60% chance of rain on 28th. Doesn't sound good for the 29th (weather) or 30th (blossoms), I must say. Just yesterday it was calling sunny through the 27th.

Wrench
19th of March 2006 (Sun), 17:22
Either day for me too. But it's getting close so for me to get the day off we need to decide soon ;)

Jon
19th of March 2006 (Sun), 18:44
Hows about we decide Tuesday based on the 10-day forecast as of then, folks? That's the first day we'll get the 30th showing up.

SuzyView
19th of March 2006 (Sun), 19:18
I heard that we are expecting cold weather again, which delays the blossoms. Anyone work near there to see if there's a chance in heck :) that we can see real pink by the 30th? The pear trees in Manassas are all blooming. Even with the heavy winds last week, they are holding tight. Lovely shots. My magnolia tree is going to pop any time now. Just one good warm day and I will take pictures of the buds opening.

Wrench
20th of March 2006 (Mon), 09:12
My neighbor has got an ornamental cherry tree that is in full bloom now. But the different varieties in the neighborhood down the street aren't even budding yet. Maybe I'll go down a scope it out this weekend if it isn't too cold.

Wrench
20th of March 2006 (Mon), 09:15
well so far it's looking good, the 26 to the 29th are all between 55 and 60 degrees as the week goes on. Looks like increasing chances of rain too so we'll have to wait and see.

Jon
20th of March 2006 (Mon), 09:48
Peak bloom's still on track for sometime 25-30th as well.

SuzyView
20th of March 2006 (Mon), 12:33
Looking good. We should decide, as you said, Jon.

Jon
21st of March 2006 (Tue), 08:06
Currently looking at 10% chance of showers Wed., 40% Thurs. (0% Tues.). Just got word I might need to set a machine up for a training session Wed. 10-12. It's not one I need to sit through for content purposes; there's another one that doesn't conflict. And the meeting's even closer to the Tidal Basin than my office, so that'd be convenient. Or we could go for Tuesday? Although the dry spell seems to be creeping forward.
Edit: Hmmmm . . . . Re-visited the 10-day and now it's showing 20% chance on the 29th, 10% on the 30th. There's been a busy butterfly down in the Amazon, I guess.

Wrench
21st of March 2006 (Tue), 09:02
I have to duck out :( I was offered a paying photog job for next Friday and I can't take two days off work. Be sure to post your shots !

Jon
21st of March 2006 (Tue), 10:20
Got a couple of meetings I won't be able to dodge on the 29th. Shifting my vote to the 30th.

SuzyView
21st of March 2006 (Tue), 15:18
Looks like the forecast is for warm, 60 degrees. It doesn't matter if it's sunny or not, but the temperature will allow for better blossoms. That's really good news.

Jon
21st of March 2006 (Tue), 15:34
So let's make it the 30th. 10 at the parking area by the Tidal Basin Boathouse? Does that work? Anyone coming later just look for POTN straps in various colours. Not surewhether I'll be wearing my POTN vest or carrying one of my trusty Domkes? Probably the latter.

SuzyView
22nd of March 2006 (Wed), 07:01
I will be there. I will catch the bus at 8:45 behind the Target in Woodbridge and getting off by the Mint. I plan to stay until 3:00ish as I don't like to be in too much traffic on the way home and I have kids getting off the school bus, but if I can stay longer, I will. If my husband is in DC that day, I will met with him when he leaves the city. I will be holding my bright blue sling bag. Boat house is a great location, opposite the Jefferson. Hope everyone can make it.

staciecd
22nd of March 2006 (Wed), 10:03
I can't make the 30th, but not 100% on the 29th either. I do hope to head down there one weekend to get some shots. Have fun!

Stacie

RbrtPtikLeoSeny
22nd of March 2006 (Wed), 11:20
Hahaha funny, I was over there all last week on a school trip, and just found this thread.

chinabuddie
22nd of March 2006 (Wed), 22:58
how were the cherry blossoms? unfortunately I have to work all next week. Im going this weekend. There is a kite festival/tournament on Saturday by the monument. Hopefully some of the flowers will have bloomed already.

Jon
23rd of March 2006 (Thu), 10:06
Currently we have:
Jon - Definite
SuzyView - Definite
pyterps - probably?
actionphotog - probably?
spencer87 - probably?
BottomBracket - maybe?
JimAskew - probably?

Further updates?

William_luo
24th of March 2006 (Fri), 15:25
Hi, I just uploaded some of most recent photos dc cherry blossom around Tidal Basin to share with all of you. Any comments are welcome.

http://www.dcphototour.com/WashingtonDCEventsPhotoTour/WashingtonDCCherryBlossomFestival.shtml

SuzyView
24th of March 2006 (Fri), 15:35
Very nice, William! I hope next week they will be peak and we can take full blossoms shots then. I've been there for peak before and it's really wonderful. Your shots were very good. What was your setup?

Jon
24th of March 2006 (Fri), 16:39
Very Nice. Are we being challenged to take our P&S models to see what we can do with them? The A80 will be there! (gives me an excuse to leave the 24-70 behind - coverage is the same!)

SuzyView
24th of March 2006 (Fri), 17:52
Oh please, let's not do that as I am already packed. I heard on the news tonight that the peak is Monday or Tuesday, but it should still be very cold. I think I may go on Thursday whether-weather rain or shine. Sorry, I had to do that. ;)

William_luo
24th of March 2006 (Fri), 19:18
Thank you for your kind words, Suzie. I will post more photos of cherry blossom at peak bloom next week.

BottomBracket
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 06:44
OK, I am 90% sure I can make it. I will be leaving NYC on the 29th, and will be staying at my cousin's place in Germantown, so meeting on the 30th dovetails nicely into my schedule. Where exactly will we be meeting? How do I get there via the Metro, I will be coming from Shady Grove. If anyone can provide GPS coordinates, that would be great :)

SuzyView
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 06:47
Tidal Basin, go to the boathouse opposite the Jefferson Memorial. I think there's a stop right on the Mall. Short walk to the Jefferson. Go toward the Washington Monument, you can't miss it, tallest structure in DC. The walk should be less than 10 minutes. Can't wait to see you all.

Jon
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 09:20
From Shady Grove, Red Line to Metro Center
Change to Blue or Orange Line in the direction of New Carrollton / Largo (Orange/Blue).
Two stops to Smithsonian; get off and head toward the escalators at the Front of the train to exit.
This puts you on Independence Ave. at 12th St. outside the USDA Headquarters. At top of street escalator, go straight ahead on Independence (well, the building's in the way, but you know what I mean).
Cross 14th St.
Left down 15th St./Raoul Wallenberg Pl. (behind Holoucaust Museum) to the Tidal Basin.
Parking lot and Boathouse are on your right from there.

Closest I can place it via MapSend Topo is N3853.037' W7702.085'. That's eyeballing it, since MapSend doesn't show the Boathouse.

Park Service has a PDF of the Mall area which shows the Boathouse here (http://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/nacc/ppMaps/map_final2.pdf).

BottomBracket
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 21:23
Suzy, Jon, thanks! It would be great to hook up with you folks. I'm thinking of driving in, but I'm a bit concerned about parking so I'm leaning toward the train. Anyway I hope all goes well as planned. Thanks again.

chinabuddie
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 21:43
I went to D.C. today.. not many trees are blooming.. I think I only saw a handful of trees that were 'white' with bloomed buds. Hopefully it warms up for you all. I think I'm going to head down there again next weekend. I wouldn't drive there.. take the metro.. SO packed everywhere.

SuzyView
25th of March 2006 (Sat), 23:54
That is one reason why you go during the week to get the best pictures. I bet you saw a zillion photographers there. I may go in on Tuesday to scout out the area. Peak was supposed to be Monday, but the weather isn't going to cooperate with cooler temperatures. Monday things should start happening. I take my kids in every year so I may do that on Tuesday if I can get back by 3 p.m. Hope to see everyone there Thursday.

chinabuddie
26th of March 2006 (Sun), 00:25
yeah.. there were LOTS of DSLR users out today. Especially with the Kite Festival. All the museums had HUGE lines to get into.. heh.. i went to the botanical garden.. had to wait awhile to get in there too.

SuzyView
26th of March 2006 (Sun), 09:38
I would have considered going in yesterday but the clouds didn't make for good photography and I heard the traffic was awful. I did see on the news all the people in DC and was glad we didn't go in. But the blossoms will be opening any day soon, so we should meet Thursday to get the best. If we have a strong wind before then, we're in trouble. The blossoms are very tender.

BottomBracket
26th of March 2006 (Sun), 19:26
Just hit a snag in my plans :( My wife still doesn't have a replacement in her job so it's looking very iffy for me. I'll know more tomorrow, I hope.

SuzyView
26th of March 2006 (Sun), 20:29
Good luck with finding a replacement for her. I know my week is filling up rather quickly as well and I hope to get to DC twice, but am not sure about it. I may go Wed. & Thurs.

FScott
26th of March 2006 (Sun), 21:57
Went to the zoo today and drove past the tidal basin. Not that many blooms yet, maybe 10-20% are open. Most trees don't have any open yet. Later in the week it should be much better.

-- Scott.

SuzyView
27th of March 2006 (Mon), 06:38
Thanks. Good Morning America said as much 2 minutes ago. I'm happy since I won't be able to make it until Wednesday. My friend and I will scout out the area and see what's available for shots. She hasn't been in years and I told her she could come on Thursday with us, although we'll probably be boring for her talking about photography. She couldn't make it Thursday so I am going 2 times in 2 days. I hope my back holds up. Only taking 20D and kit lens on Wednesday to get the wide shots. Taking better glass on Thursday. :)

Jon
27th of March 2006 (Mon), 17:35
I may sneak over Wednesday. I'm going to be spending most of the day in the USDA South Building (14th & Independence), with an hour between meetings at lunch and last one scheduled for 2-3:00. If your cell's on I'll call, or e-mail me at the work (BlackBerry) address when you've decided.

SuzyView
27th of March 2006 (Mon), 18:16
Right now I am hoping to get on the 9:30 bus because I have kids to get on the bus. On Thursday I am sending them early to a sitter. I hope to be there by 11:00 and have a long walk, then head to China Town, walking is good for me, for lunch. If this plan works, we can meet on Wednesday too.

pyterps
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 09:00
I should have no problem making it on Thursday and just want to confirm the meeting time.

Dave

BottomBracket
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 10:44
Woohooo! I'm going as planned! So what time do we meet? I'm excited :)

SuzyView
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 11:10
Did we say 11 a.m. at the boat house opposite the Jefferson on the Tidal Basin. I will have bright blue camera bag.

Jon
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 11:31
I'll be getting there around 10, as in my sig. Call in when you get there.

SuzyView
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 11:43
I'll try to make it by 10.

SuzyView
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 11:54
I'm looking at the bus schedule and I think I may have to get there early, around 9:30. That's the last bus out. I may have to leave by 3 p.m. That should be a full day.

afb
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 12:09
thursday...wish i caught this thread earlier. i'll be down there on saturday w/ a bunch of bikers. can't wait to see the pics.

Jon
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 12:41
I'll be heading back to the office around 2. 4 hours schlepping cameras, tripod, etc. should be enough.

SuzyView
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 14:40
Rain today is good for blossoms, you know. :)

Jon
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 15:10
I'm going to be over in the South Building tomorrow, so I'll duck over at lunch and see what things look like.

SuzyView
28th of March 2006 (Tue), 20:18
Well, bad news. Looks like I won't make it tomorrow, Wednesday to scout the area out. My friend told me the blossoms aren't fully out yet and I don't want to go in twice, just to see that it's not going well. So, I'm still planning to go on Thursday, everyone. Sorry, Jon. Would have enjoyed the trip with my kids and best friend. We are planning Friday or Monday for that. I always take my kids out to see the blossoms. It's just a spring thing to do.

Jon
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 06:30
I'll duck over there at lunch - peak's currently expected for Thursday. May have a couple of A80 shots later.

BottomBracket
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 07:54
See you folks tomorrow! I'll be leaving for Md tonight. Can't decide which gear or bag to bring yet. Backpack or shoulder? What color Domke is best? :) Jon, you did mention that you're going to bring your tripod, what are you going to use it for?

Jon
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 14:36
I think I'll be wearing my grey. Tripod, mainly because if I don't have it, I'll need it. Right?

Current status (crop):

SuzyView
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 16:11
Nice duck. :)

Blossoms not fully out, but most are?

Jon
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 17:19
Lots are. Seems to depend on the tree. I had about 10-15 minutes between meetings; only got off about 5 shots, including the obligatory ducks. Did what I could with the A80, but that LCD in the sun's not the easiest way to work.

Elphaba
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 17:59
Just watched DC's CBS affiliate, WUSA... meteorologist Topper Shutt (yes.. that's his real name...) says peak is tomorrow. He's pretty spot on when it comes to blossom predictions... so it looks like yall picked the right day! :D

Hope you guys have fun... :) I live in the MD 'burbs of DC and if I had my 20D back from the service center, I'd join in. But, since I don't, I'll wait patiently to see what yall have to share. :D

SuzyView
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 19:32
I would have shared with you my 10D, but that's okay. I'm having enough trouble deciding what to bring. Wish you could have come. It does sound like tomorrow is the right day. It's going to be in the upper 60's and sunny. WOW!

I just got back from the bus depot where I got the scoop on my travel plans. The bus leaves the Mapledale Plaza at 7:30 and I land at around 8:30. So, I'll be there a little early and will walk around. Should be by the boat house around 9. It's a little walk to the Basin from the Mint. I will probably have to head back on the first bus around 3. I plan to sit and enjoy the scenary for a while if everyone has places to go. Can't wait to see everyone. :)

FScott
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 19:34
Well, it turns out that my family and I will be wandering around the tidal basin tomorrow probably late morning. Thus I may see you all there. If you see me, say hi. I'll have a black tamrac holster in a chest harness and a 20D with a red POTN strap, and two kids, a 5 year old and a 3 month old.

-- Scott.

SuzyView
29th of March 2006 (Wed), 19:37
I'm taking my kids either Friday or Monday. We have lots to do on Friday, so we may have to pass. But they are so excited as we do this every year. If you see a bunch of people being very focused on taking pictures, that's probably us. :)

JimAskew
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 05:05
Suzie,

I sorry to report that I have "lost" my Thursday & Friday to business meetings :(

I wish all who do meet many wonderful photos.

My wife and I plan to go on Sunday at 0700 and beat the crowds :)

Please continue this thread or open a new one to post shots from this year's blooms.

Thanks,

BottomBracket
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 05:50
I'm in Maryland now, just had a couple of hours sleep. Will be boarding the Metro later, see you all soon :)

SuzyView
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 06:20
Leaving now for the bus. See everyone there!

Jon
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 06:24
My gear and I have made it down town. I'll be heading over to the Tidal Basin at 9:45 or so.

staciecd
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 08:11
Doh, I wish that I could go. My fiance and I are heading there on Sunday - he has some business stuff to do and I plan to take pictures and enjoy the car ride with my photography book.

Stacie

Jon
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:21
Four of us made it - to say nothing of the duck.
Photographer's left to right - Jon, Suzie (SuzyView), Dave (pyterps) and Pio (BottomBracket).

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:29
Whow is all I can say. We had a great time and here are some of the shots.

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:30
more

Jon
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:31
Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument

Jon
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:32
Couple more

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:33
A few more

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:36
and more...you can tell we had a great time

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:54
Can't help myself

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 14:57
Just to let the three that was at the shoot today, I had 1GB of photos and with the Thunderbolt CF Card Reader it took less than 2 min to load to the computer.

Dave

In2Photos
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 15:02
Looks like fun.
pyterps time for a sensor cleaning and that CF reader is fast.:shock:

staciecd
So jealous!!!!! It so pretty out and I am stuck here. Doh. Jon and Pyterps, I love your shots of Jefferson Memorial with blossoms. Thank you for posting

I so hope I can get there this weekend.

Suzyview, I have a Lockheed shirt just like that - I use to work for them (4 long years) and my dad is there now.

Stacie

Jon
First time I put the EF 1.4x TC on the 70-200 IS. That's all one trunk. Some DoF!

pyterps
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 15:29
Brand new camera, it was the lens I think.

spencer87
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 15:53
great shots you guys, the blossoms look beautiful. I was supposed to go yesterday morning but wasnt feeling well, so we'll see if I make it out there at some point. it's great weather for pictures too!

CoolToolGuy
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 16:35
Suzyview, I have a Lockheed shirt just like that - I use to work for them (4 long years) and my dad is there now.

Stacie

Yeah, and he's blaming me for your latest photographic acquisition. :lol:

P.S. I have my share of that logo stuff, too.

Have Fun,

SuzyView
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 17:12
Here are some of mine. :D I had the best time! You guys are so great to spend time with. Found out Dave and I live about 5 minutes from each other. :oops:

Some of these actually turned out pretty amazing. Love that 20D & 24-70L combo.

SuzyView
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 17:16
Here are two more. I have to admit, the Jefferson is my favorite of the statues. I also love the Lincoln but it's too far away for one day's walk with all the gear we had. Jon was loaded down with his 3 cameras around his neck. Pio was a trooper and met up with us. It was a blast to switch lenses with Jon, experimenting with lenses and filters. Dave's 1DMKIIN is just huge and oh, so fun. He was snapping all over the place, especially at the helicopters. We even got to eat lunch together under two of the most beautiful pink trees there, I think. Perfect day, perfect weather, wonderful talking about of favorite hobby. What more can we ask for? More friends to meet with us? Even the duck cooperated. :lol:

staciecd
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 17:52
You did introduce me to the site :D I just hope that not too many others from that contract follow us!

Yeah, and he's blaming me for your latest photographic acquisition. :lol:

P.S. I have my share of that logo stuff, too.

Have Fun,

Jon
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 18:29
Here are two more. I have to admit, the Jefferson is my favorite of the statues. I also love the Lincoln but it's too far away for one day's walk with all the gear we had. Jon was loaded down with his 3 cameras around his neck. Pio was a trooper and met up with us. It was a blast to switch lenses with Jon, experimenting with lenses and filters. Dave's 1DMKIIN is just huge and oh, so fun. He was snapping all over the place, especially at the helicopters. We even got to eat lunch together under two of the most beautiful pink trees there, I think. Perfect day, perfect weather, wonderful talking about of favorite hobby. What more can we ask for? More friends to meet with us? Even the duck cooperated. :lol:

I only had one around my neck. The other was over one shoulder. And the A80 never even left the bag!

chinabuddie
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 19:38
wow you guys look all professional. great photos. i'm gonna go tomorrow by myself with my little 300D

Wrench
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 20:16
You guys took some good shots!! Turns out I should have gone, my scheduled shoot for tomorrow was postponed :( Guess I'll be heading down there by myself tomorrow.

FScott
30th of March 2006 (Thu), 21:45
It certainly was a great day for the blossums. My family and I were there from around 11 until almost 4 and although it was crowded it will be much, much worse tomorrow and into the weekend. I never ran into any of you all who were there. I kept my eye out but didn't see you. Oh well. The Azaleas (almost 100,000 bushes) in the National Arboretum will be just as spectacular next month and it will be much less crowded if anyone is interested.

Attached are a couple of my favorite shots for the day. It helps to bring along your model.

There certainly were a lot of folks with DSLRs. Lots of 20Ds and XTs but even more Noink D200s. No accounting for taste... Interesting that the DSLRs outnumbered the paper box cameras and those trying to take pictures with their cell phones.

Lots of fun and great weather. Hopefully I can meet up with you all on the next excursion.

-- Scott.