PDA

View Full Version : Band Studio shoot

rvt1000
9th of February 2006 (Thu), 22:08
So I have a potential opportunity to shoot a few pics for a local band. They want a b&w group shot and a few action shots in the studio.

What should I be charging for this? I've never done shoots like this or charged so don't really know what is a good rate. What do you all usually charge for gigs like this?

And other then renting a strobe or two, I can't think of anything else I'll need, of course besides my regular gear, any ideas? Since I've never shot bands in a studio, I need to first find out about the lighting and maybe I won't even need a strobe. Either way, any technicalities I should be aware of?

I'm thinking of renting a 16-35 for the group shots or do you guys think the 24-70L will be fine on a 20d for those (4-5 member band)?

Thanks.

Sakia Warner
10th of February 2006 (Fri), 19:55
I used to do bands when I was younger...(before kids and such) and I always did some outside shots in weird places... train tracks.. abandoned buildings etc. You also need to take into consideration the type of music they play.. I wouldnt take a boy band type group to an old run down building.

Get them being themselves... and being serious.

Just a couple things I was told long ago.

Lots of luck.

Steve Parr
10th of February 2006 (Fri), 21:24
I used to do bands when I was younger...(before kids and such) and I always did some outside shots in weird places... train tracks.. abandoned buildings etc. You also need to take into consideration the type of music they play.. I wouldnt take a boy band type group to an old run down building.

Get them being themselves... and being serious.

Just a couple things I was told long ago.

Lots of luck.

There's a website that shows tons of band shots. Some of the most overdone backgrounds were brick walls and train tracks.

Here's the link: Rock & Roll Confidential (http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php). This site is definitely PG-13, and some of the comments on the photos are probably rated "R", but you'll get a pretty good sense of what kind of band shots work and what kind don't...

Steve

Sakia Warner
10th of February 2006 (Fri), 21:37
Yes... train tracks have been done a lot... but I was trying to give ideas of things more interesting than a plain ole backdrop or wall.
And I was a child of the 80s... so when I was doing pics for bands, those kinds of things were in.