PDA

View Full Version : Slideshow at Reception?

dsze
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 14:52
The potential clients I met with this morning inquired about me gathering images from them ahead of time and presenting a slideshow with an LCD projector at their reception. Does anyone else do this as part of a wedding package? It sounds fun, and I can probably charge pretty good for it, but its one more thing to worry about when I should be taking candids at the reception. I told them I'd think about it and get back to them on the slideshow. They booked the wedding regardless. Opinions?

thanks,

Phil V
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 15:47
Get someone else to put it together whilst you're still shooting. It sounds like a great idea, but I woiuldn't want to be anywhere other than behind the camera on the wedding day.

dsze
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 15:49
Get someone else to put it together whilst you're still shooting. It sounds like a great idea, but I woiuldn't want to be anywhere other than behind the camera on the wedding day.

My thoughts exactly. It would be a fun thing that would probably be well received by guests and good publicity, but I don't want the hassle of anything other than shooting on wedding day. So, do I hire someone else to run the slideshow and figure that into the cost of doing it in your opinion?

jboyd
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 18:42
I have been to two weddings with the same DJ. The DJ did a slide show during the reception. He collected pictures from the families prior to the wedding and put together a slide show that was played toward the end of the dinner. Then he had others working with him with point and shoot digital cameras that took candid photos during the evening which they projected on screens on each side of his setup throughout the night.

RobKirkwood
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 19:25
For our daughter's wedding 4 years back I was asked to put together a slide show comprising shots of her and her fiancee as they grew up to the point where they were an 'item' ...used some royalty-free music, and it was shown by video projector in the Church while everyone was away signing the register.

We also included it into the wedding video - which we were shooting anyway.

Very well received by the guests, so I would say worth doing if you can figure out a way - although trying to incorporate shots taken on the day might be a burden unless someone else is on hand to compile it for you.

CyberPet
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 19:58
Our photographer shot both film and digital, and while we were busy eating (after he himself had eaten), he made sure all the images were downloaded to his laptop, went through the images, quickly and threw the bad ones, and started a quick slideshow, that people could look at after dinner. It was very popular and the guests loved to see photo's both from the ceremony, the portraits and parts of the dinner and dance.

Michi
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 21:42
Yes, this is a very popular thing here in HK, people would prepare a Music video of the newly wed's pictures from when they were babies, fun to watch also a music video for the hight of the day too! it's really fun to watch.

subtle_spectre
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 22:24
From what you wrote in the original post, they would be furnishing existing pictures. It's the perfect opportunity to make them part of a PowerPoint slide show that can be started and run on its own...I have made many with music and various animation. Using images from thw edding day, though, for me, would be a different story.

sugarzebra
11th of February 2006 (Sat), 22:41
This is a great thing to do, however it can be very time consuming and therefore not cost effective for you. To get over this hurdle have the family do all the scanning and provide you with all the photos is a digital format (to your specifications). Then you can quite quickly put them into something thats easy like ProShow Gold, add some music and have good looking presentation with very little time invested on your part. With a little more time, you can find out what things interest the bride & groom, search for images of those things (Google Image) and use them as backrounds in your presenation software. You will have created a special keepsake for the couple.....which they would gladly pay for! As long as you get all the photos in a digital format, you can probably produce something in ProShow in less than an hour.

kawter2
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 00:22
i dont do the prebuilt montage ones, but i can say this..

A slideshow of your day's photographs at the reception (ie the ones you have been shooting) is THE single BEST resource and marketing for/to future clients you could do for your wedding photography bus

take a laptop and set it by the bar... people go BONKERS

dsze
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 10:00
Good advice. I've thought of doing this Eric, but I think I'd be a little worried about my laptop sitting by the bar. :) That aside, I have some questions. When do you put the images from that day onto your laptop. I'm not sure I could find the time to do that and not be missing shots elsewhere? What program do you use to display them? Do you shoot RAW? I would think that it might be slightly more difficult to do this with RAW images...only because they are flat and dull without some processing (which there definitely is not time for).

dsze
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 10:04
Also, good advice about asking for all images in digital format from the B&G. So, here is my big question then; I don't have my own LCD projector and I wouldn't feel right borrowing one for this. So, this means that I'm looking at a $1000 at least in upfront costs. Should the B&G be asked to pay for some/all of the cost of the projector, since it is equipment that I don't have?

kawter2
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 19:33
so many people will be ohh ing and aweing, that they wont be albe to steal the laptop.. I shoot jpg but you could easily open bridge and select the few you want to use (50 or so) and batch process them in image processor..

I usually transfer them at dinner. It is actually pretty simple. use iview but if you work on mac you can use iphoto for free..

RE: the projector, you can probably charge them a going rate for rental but I don;t think i would stick it to 'em (p.s. I think that is too much of a hassle.. I would just give them a dvd and be done with it)

mizuno
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 19:58
I may be wrong, but I can imagine some couples who would prefer to be the first to see their photo investment, as opposed to having them all on public display the same day.

Having said that, it certainly would be great advertising for the photographer!

NGrinerPhoto
12th of February 2006 (Sun), 20:15
i did it last season. there were four photographers there who were all from the same company. Myself and another photographer shot only for the slideshow. The other two photographers were the main shooter for the album and his second shooter/assistant. Myself and the other slideshow shooter edited on camera and passed them on to the production company that was running the show.

kawter2
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 00:29
I may be wrong, but I can imagine some couples who would prefer to be the first to see their photo investment, as opposed to having them all on public display the same day.

Having said that, it certainly would be great advertising for the photographer!

I've never had that be any where close to an issue.. usually they thank you a thousand times

PIXI_666
13th of February 2006 (Mon), 02:13
Yes - great job for an assistant! It would be even BETTER if they had a rear projection screen, my cousin had that for his wedding, the bridesmaid & groomsmen put together a big slideshow full of photo's of them together (They were highschool sweethearts and have been together 10 yrs so lots of photo's!) it was so cool to see them growing up over the years to now...

Del

Palladium
14th of February 2006 (Tue), 18:32
here's an easy working setup - depending upon how your storing your photos download to a laptop (preloaded with adobe bridge and video out) with a portable HD attached. Once your have a folder with the images on the laptop's HD make a copy to the portable HD and unmount the portable HD and put in a safe/secure place.

Load bridge and use it's slideshow feature - the DJ can continue playing his music and you can control the slideshow right from the laptop.

OdiN1701
15th of February 2006 (Wed), 02:56
If any of you are worried about getting a laptop stolen...insure it.

I often have to leave some camera equipment lying around...if it's stolen, it's insured.

scorpiojo
17th of February 2006 (Fri), 03:06
It is always a crowd pleaser. I did it a couple of time when I first started shooting weddings and people love it. It is very difficult to do alone if you don't have help. When my clients or potential clients ask me about it I factor in a price that I can pay for an assistant. I like to concentrate on the wedding and not have to worry about something else. It is the same people who love the slide show that will complain if you miss a shot of uncle Joe from down state.

Palladium
17th of February 2006 (Fri), 18:15
here's an easy working setup - depending upon how your storing your photos download to a laptop (preloaded with adobe bridge and video out) with a portable HD attached. Once your have a folder with the images on the laptop's HD make a copy to the portable HD and unmount the portable HD and put in a safe/secure place.

Load bridge and use it's slideshow feature - the DJ can continue playing his music and you can control the slideshow right from the laptop.

update - I see there are now external hard drives with media readers built in and video out connections. some are just the enclosurers and you add the HD and some are complete units - anyway just load copies of your images and let it play ( I even saw one that supports playback or RAW files).

I'll have to get the model numbers :rolleyes:

BLINN
24th of February 2006 (Fri), 09:02
If you can hire a student in graphic arts to put it together for you and run the show. Just remember pay him/her well. Have fun

PineCone
24th of February 2006 (Fri), 10:05
i've done those before but NGrinerPhoto you've given me an idea.. i should employ that tactic next time i'm requested to do a slideshow for the wedding reception.. thanks