PDA

View Full Version : Italian Baby Portrait

savone
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 15:53
Took this shot of a friends daughter today. I had to edit it alot in photoshop to get the results I wanted. I actually made this photo out of three different shots. I know there is alot of noise because of this editing, is there a way to correct all this noise?

Critiques please. I can really benefit from some help here.

http://savone.smugmug.com/photos/56880458-L.jpg

ajbalazic
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:04
Nice shot! I think it's a little underexposed. Fix the exposure and boost the saturation and you will have a real winner.

hemuni
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:08
There's a lot of jpeg artifacts in the green drape, use less jpeg compression.

savone
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:13
There's a lot of jpeg artifacts in the green drape, use less jpeg compression.

I did not use any compression (saved at max 12 in photoshop). Any suggestions on how I can fix it?

Ohh, this was uploaded to smugmug maybe they compressed it?

dgcorner
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:17
Yes, I find it a bit under-exposed... check your monitor's settings... I just had mine calibrated the other day and I now know why my PSed pics turned out unsatisfactory.

savone
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 16:55
OK, I ran it through neatimage (not exactly sure of all the settings as I just downloaded it) and uped exposure and saturation.

What do you think?

http://savone.smugmug.com/photos/56888451-L.jpg

dgcorner
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 17:04
That looks better!

SWPhotoImaging
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 20:58
Can I get the recipe? There are some of those in my neighborhood that look about ripe.

TaylorAtCTS
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 21:06
I like the one you posted first just ok, but the second one is very good IMO

the composition is very good and the color in the 2nd version is quite good!

savone
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 21:35
Thanks for the replies everyone. this is like my first real photoshoot that someone actually is paying me for and I am VERY nervous about how their prints are going to turn out. Since I have only been at this photography thing for about 2 months I do not really have any confidence yet.

Focus
19th of February 2006 (Sun), 22:31
Absolutely loved the picture, after 2 years and I'm not sure I'd be able to take one that is as good, I tried editing it to see what I can get, not very different from what you did except for the lighting on the casserole, hope that helps and keep 'em coming.
Cheers

Meaty0
20th of February 2006 (Mon), 00:21
I love the thoughtful expression on the child's face! Your second image seems fine and you've convinced me of the worth of "Neat Image".

savone
20th of February 2006 (Mon), 13:05
I love the thoughtful expression on the child's face! Your second image seems fine and you've convinced me of the worth of "Neat Image".

Neat image seems to be an awesome tool. I just need to figure out what all the options are.

hemuni
20th of February 2006 (Mon), 13:57
Try to use this Neat Image filtersetting, it will remove most of the jpeg artifacts:

http://www.hemuni.dk/files/potn/jpegarti.jpg

spencer87
20th of February 2006 (Mon), 14:00
awesome idea for a baby picture, it's adorable. I think your edits worked well, too.

Titus213
21st of February 2006 (Tue), 19:08
I really like your setup. Beautiful edit job too. I agree, the original was a bit dark, your edit is great.

sasa007
21st of February 2006 (Tue), 19:53
Pretty cute picture :)
Yes second edit makes a lot of difference...You can not correct bad picture
only good one can be improved :).And this is a good one...

Yet again nice work!!!