PDA

View Full Version : Arizona POTN get together?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 01:20
I was thinking that if I keep lifting weights it would help.. and the 24-70 is like a brick.... But I admit to the weakness. I really have to concentrate sometimes... That's why I like a high shutter speed... Helps me out a lot!

So you wanna go shooting? LOL?
haha, sure! if I can make it to phx. supposed to snow from thurs-sat so idk about this weekend :-P you should try the lens with my 1D as well :-P great workout. my biceps are still in shape because of that combo :-P

Thanks Kristy, I appreciate the welcomings.

I like to shoot bike group meets and where we go (I have a M/C I ride with a few groups and solo - seen a lot of AZ that way); car group meets (ride that with a weird crazy group), and the family, a wife, two daughters, two Chinese Crested (one hairless, and one powderpuff) and a Brittany. I use the 28-135 mostly, the 10-22 next, the Sigma for fun tight macro shots, and the 100-400 for sports shots, and speed M/C or car shots.
ooh, so what kind of m/c do you have? and car? :-) I miss riding a motorcycle. a friend says he will let me ride his but I never see him :-(

azphotos
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 01:24
What!!??!! YOU actually USED a monopod!!? What's the matter with you....? You've completely blown my bubble about Hatch the Handheld shot guy.... Awwww Man.... Why'd ya have to go and do that?

LOL!! Just kiddin'!!

Awesome as usual... :) I need to add a monopod to my list... Focusing screen, hand grip, RAM, 70-200 L IS... Monopod, Flash Bracket, Light Meter, New BG stand because mine is now broken.... oh and a gun shooting class to help me become more steady.... Blah!
LOL on Hatch- sorry about the background - this is the one that I am looking at http://canogacamera.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=7005

Blue-J
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 09:37
ooh, so what kind of m/c do you have? and car? :-) I miss riding a motorcycle. a friend says he will let me ride his but I never see him :-(

M/C is a 401 lb. BMW F800S. Car is a Mazda RX-8. I like names that are easy to spell, F800S and RX-8.

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 09:55
M/C is a 401 lb. BMW F800S. Car is a Mazda RX-8. I like names that are easy to spell, F800S and RX-8.
ooh, nice an 800. I'm prolly gonna look for one of the 600cc bikes when I finally finish college. How do you like your rx8? I remember reading the low end isn't that great when starting out. But they do look nice.

Blue-J
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 10:13
ooh, nice an 800. I'm prolly gonna look for one of the 600cc bikes when I finally finish college. How do you like your rx8? I remember reading the low end isn't that great when starting out. But they do look nice.

People who say that the low end isn't that great when starting out on an RX-8 don't know you start out with 3-4K on the tach, and then let the clutch out. But don't try to translate that through any other car's 3-4K on the tach, because the RX-8 gets there in an instant.

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 10:20
People who say that the low end isn't that great when starting out on an RX-8 don't know you start out with 3-4K on the tach, and then let the clutch out. But don't try to translate that through any other car's 3-4K on the tach, because the RX-8 gets there in an instant.
oh weird. that's high. I remember a friend test driving one and didn't like the low end...but if you start there then you definitely get some power going. I still kinda wish they brought the rx7 back :-D

Blue-J
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 11:00
I still kinda wish they brought the rx7 back :-D
What 'til next year when the '09 RX-9 is released!

Cascavel
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 13:13
Thanks Kristy, I appreciate the welcomings.

I like to shoot bike group meets and where we go (I have a M/C I ride with a few groups and solo - seen a lot of AZ that way); car group meets (ride that with a weird crazy group), and the family, a wife, two daughters, two Chinese Crested (one hairless, and one powderpuff) and a Brittany. I use the 28-135 mostly, the 10-22 next, the Sigma for fun tight macro shots, and the 100-400 for sports shots, and speed M/C or car shots.

Hey and welcome to the fun. I just recently started reading and posting a little bit around here and it's been very helpful. I switched from sony point and shoot to a Canon 40D and lots of new lenses. So far I really love the new format but I have a ton to learn. Everyone here is very helpful and will always have a good answer to any question.

I love to ride as well. Here's my baby.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/386262339_69a3284f74.jpg
Right now it's at a friends getting tuned up and cleaned. Should have it back by the weekend. I have not been on any group rides in a while but I miss it. I can't wait to try out my new gear on the next ride. It's sure is a fun way to see the state.

scottcolbath
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 14:54
Hey and welcome to the fun. I just recently started reading and posting a little bit around here and it's been very helpful. I switched from sony point and shoot to a Canon 40D and lots of new lenses. So far I really love the new format but I have a ton to learn. Everyone here is very helpful and will always have a good answer to any question.

Right now it's at a friends getting tuned up and cleaned. Should have it back by the weekend. I have not been on any group rides in a while but I miss it. I can't wait to try out my new gear on the next ride. It's sure is a fun way to see the state.

Oh no! Not THAT bike! Not THAT guy! :lol:

Welcome dude. I hear there was a little head gasket issue on the Bus.

S.C.

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 17:34
OOOH, a busa! I saw so many of those when I lived in Orlando. of course they didn't have much of curves where I was at so the speed would have been nice. :-)

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 17:35
What 'til next year when the '09 RX-9 is released!
ooh, yeah I've been behind lately with my cars thanks to photography and going to school at NAU...but at least I am up to date with my gear knowledge :-P...kinda...

Rutha73
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 17:56

ohhh, thats my dream bike! I sold my TL about a year ago :( but now I have photography to take up my time and money! That color scheme is awesome!

FlyingPhotog
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 17:57
ooh, yeah I've been behind lately with my cars thanks to photography and going to school at NAU...but at least I am up to date with my gear knowledge :-P...kinda...

Don't you have a project to finish? Or did you turn it in already? How'd it go?

Tom O
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 18:07
people...people...people...whatever happened to the real scooters?? I don't know about you young guys and their rockets..LOL

Cascavel
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 18:10
Oh no! Not THAT bike! Not THAT guy! :lol:

Welcome dude. I hear there was a little head gasket issue on the Bus.

S.C.

Hey Scott!! Didn't know you hung around these parts. I just started shooting DSLR in December and stumbled on this forum. Great place with great people. What camera and lenses are you using now? I think I remember you had a 30D or something.

Yeah the Busa was leaking coolant so Mr Buell is putting her back togther for me. I guess that's the price you pay when you turbo charge a Busa. You still have your copper '99?

Rutha,

Yeah I understand about photography taking up time and money!!! I almost sold the bike last year but couldn't do it.

Cascavel
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 18:47
people...people...people...whatever happened to the real scooters?? I don't know about you young guys and their rockets..LOL
Tom,

I can only speak for myself but Harley's are where I started riding. Learned on a 1200 sporty and then got a Fatboy after I saw Terminator. Had that bike for a couple years and decided to give up riding for a while and went to school. After I moved out here to AZ I picked up a dyna convertible and had it for about a year. After that I took a break from riding and wanted a change of pace. I was kinda silly and went and got an 02 Busa. Big change from HD's to a rocket. After that I never looked back. The ride for me was so much better that I have not been back on an HD since. I've had several bikes in between that first Busa and the turbo that i have now. All were a blast to ride, especially at the track.
I still see the appeal of the cruiser bikes and maybe one day I'll go back. For now you couldn't pay me. ;)

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 19:29
Hey Scott!! Didn't know you hung around these parts. I just started shooting DSLR in December and stumbled on this forum. Great place with great people. What camera and lenses are you using now? I think I remember you had a 30D or something.

Yeah the Busa was leaking coolant so Mr Buell is putting her back togther for me. I guess that's the price you pay when you turbo charge a Busa. You still have your copper '99?

Rutha,

Yeah I understand about photography taking up time and money!!! I almost sold the bike last year but couldn't do it.
a turbo?!? have you taken it to a dyno yet?

I actually started out with an old cruiser, 83 kawasaki 550ex ltd. it was such a great bike that I got from a friend and had it fixed up a bit. but then had some leaking gas issues and I picked up another bike after a check from the insurance company...then i did a couple internships in orlando and sold my bikes to help fund my way out there :-( still regret it but I didn't want the little brother to ride. (3 yrs younger, don't trust him on my bikes)

Don't you have a project to finish? Or did you turn it in already? How'd it go?

I actually have an ongoing project which will be going on all semester if you are talking about my senior capstone project...I have to have photos ready to show each week so I will be busy shooting and editing and hopefully I will get to my other h/w as well :-P

But yeah, I posted in the peoples
section if anyone is interested in seeing some photos and would love to give me some criticism. I know I need it after this first shoot. photos also are on my flickr.

BrianAZ
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 19:31
We should have our own little sub forum.

I've got a nice 2006 Honda CBR 600. Haven't ridden in over 2 months due to a stupid leak, though.

disneydork06
23rd of January 2008 (Wed), 22:21
geez, you guys are gonna make me buy a bike soon so I can join in on the rides/photo meets :-P

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 00:40
To Ryan:

All semester? Gotcha... I assumed "Capstone" meant final senior project (one time deal) but good to know we've got more to look forward to.

disneydork06
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 01:20
hehe, well kinda a one time deal thing :-P it's my one class that's happening all semester long...haha, just gotta get some people to photograph and I should be okay...just gotta experiment a bit with my lighting.

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 03:04
Since we're on the subject of "rides," I don't think I mentioned my new chunk o' debt:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=439012

azphotos
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 03:41
Since we're on the subject of "rides," I don't think I mentioned my new chunk o' debt:

And here I was looking for a flying machine -:p

Nice looking vehicle - I like the moon shot of it :)

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 03:59
And here I was looking for a flying machine -:p

Someday...someday...

Nice looking vehicle - I like the moon shot of it :)

Thanks. The moonrise was a nice added bonus. I confess that I hadn't even consulted a moonrise/set chart prior to heading out. I usually do, espcially when we're in one of those early rise phases.

Tom O
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 08:33
[quote=Cascavel;4767050]Tom,

I can only speak for myself but Harley's are where I started riding.....
[quote=disneydork06;4767316]

I actually started out with an old cruiser, 83 kawasaki 550ex ltd....

I started with a Norton on to a Triumph then Honda and finally Harley. At the risk of datiing myself my first HD was a 1974 - 74 ElectraGlide:cool: and had several after that. Moved to AZ bout 12 years ago and saw the traffic and the drivers who seem to have a death wish plus never being home due to the job, I sold my scoot.:mad: Wasn't a hard thing to do as I got 3X what I had in it here in AZ..:)Haven't ridden since and I know you won't understand this but I don't miss it one bit.

Now that I'm starting to get a little more serious about photography and no thanks to all you guys with all those really nice lenses, it appears I will be tempted to dump my $$$ into this little hobby..:lol:

BamPhoto
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 09:45

We have to got a POTN 4-wheel shoot going this spring............

xpsentity
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:06
We have to got a POTN 4-wheel shoot going this spring............

Well, you and I are rockin the Jeeps.. ;)

disneydork06
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:18
[quote=Cascavel;4767050]Tom,

I can only speak for myself but Harley's are where I started riding.....
[quote=disneydork06;4767316]

I actually started out with an old cruiser, 83 kawasaki 550ex ltd....

I started with a Norton on to a Triumph then Honda and finally Harley. At the risk of datiing myself my first HD was a 1974 - 74 ElectraGlide:cool: and had several after that. Moved to AZ bout 12 years ago and saw the traffic and the drivers who seem to have a death wish plus never being home due to the job, I sold my scoot.:mad: Wasn't a hard thing to do as I got 3X what I had in it here in AZ..:)Haven't ridden since and I know you won't understand this but I don't miss it one bit.

Now that I'm starting to get a little more serious about photography and no thanks to all you guys with all those really nice lenses, it appears I will be tempted to dump my $$$ into this little hobby..:lol:
the drivers in az are a bit crazy...one of the reasons my mom doesn't like me to get another motorcycle, but also the same reason I won't let my little brother ride one. :-P

disneydork06
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:26
Hey guys, would appreciate any c&c from you guys if you have any :-P
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=441521
let me know how I can improve to be as good as you guys with these shots :-)

Tom O
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:46

I'm sure no expert but just from my perspective I really liked 3,4,5. The fireplace, to me, added to those shots but detracted from the subject in #1 &2.

I liked the facial expressions in 3,4,5 as well. The overall color seems a little on the yellowish/red side?? But, again Dis, I'm no pro by a long shot.

All-in-all, very nice shots..

Tom O
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:47
DIS...where are you studying Photog??

xpsentity
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 10:53

How long do you have to complete the project? With models and clothes of that caliber, you deserve to use some pro lighting. Make it really POP.

Since you want crit, #3 is totally OOF, and the flame reflections on the screen are blech. Toss it. I'm not a fan of the background really. Several look tilted because of the brickwork. I feel #5 is the strongest pose and facial expression, but the reflections on the fireplace glass detract from the image. Also on #5, her elbow is bent backwards. The shadows in #2 make it look like it was lit with bad flash technique. #4 isn't bad, but I find the way her knees stretch the dress to be rather odd.

disneydork06
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 14:07
sweet. thank you guys! I wasn't much of a fan of this session but it's what I have to show for now :-(
I have this whole semester to do the project. It's my senior capstone project. basically trying to make a port. I thought about getting some alien bees but decided on getting on more flash and trying to do this wirelessly so i can shoot on location instead of just in the studio where we have a black or white bg. but I will try some stuff in there. Oh, and the oof shots, idk what's wrong with my camera but I thought i had focus except a bunch just had the fireplace in focus and not the model. so idk what's up with that. and thanks for confirming the oof.
tom, I go to northern arizona university (nau)

xpsentity
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 15:03
You are of course shooting center point, or single select point, *not* using focus recompose, and setting flash AND camera manually, right?

When specifically lighting portraits, there is absolutely no substitute for M mode on both the flash and camera. Don't let it think for you - make it work for you.

In response to your AB comments in the other thread - they work just fine on location ;)

Hatch1921
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 16:07
Canon Introduces EF200mm f/2L IS USM and EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lenses

http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id%7C4962

The new Canon EF200mm f/2L IS USM is scheduled to be available in April at an estimated retail price of $5,999.00 and the new Canon EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM is scheduled to be available in May for an estimated retail price of $11,999.00.

$6K YEEEEEEE OUCH! I think I will keep my 70-200L IS and save for the 300mm F/2.8 IS for about 1/2 the cost.

Okay Tammie... when are you going to place your order for the 800mm? :)

Hatch

Guerry Dalrymple
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 18:52
OK Gang

Something has come up and Nancy and I can't do the Monster Trucks Saturday. However, I was in the Productiin Meeting this afternood and have good news for any of you thinking about going.

The camera policy is relaxed and any still cameras are OK, no video. (no need to sign any release or get wrist band)
No tirpods but monopods OK so long as they don't interfere with other guests
Doors open at 5:30pm w/show at 7:30 starting with indoor fireworks
Between doors and show there will be a number of cart races
Trucks entered: McGruff, Obsession, Scarlet Bandit, Bulldozer, Batman, Iron Outlaw, Blue Thunder, Maximum Destruction and Grave Digger

The best section for shooting would be 100W or 145W. Front row on the upper lever would be OK just a high angle.

Have fun if you decide to go. Sorry I will miss it.

Guerry

disneydork06
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 19:07
I do shoot center point and I do recompose my shots. but i try not to move forward or backward in the process. I don't manually do my flash. I just got the 580 so haven't played with the power settings on it yet. I also have a 420 which doesn't let me do much in terms of making it manual.

macroshooter1970
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 19:16

get her away from that fireplace

Hatch1921
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 21:36
FYI... just received this in my inbox...

http://www.kelbytraining.com/?page=product&id=111

Hatch

Thursday, February 28, 2008
El Zaribah Shrine Center
Room: Auditorium Ballroom
552 N. 40th Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85008
Phone: 602-231-0300

Photoshop CS3 for Photographers Tour
Ben Willmore has his digital camera in hand and is headed your way with the Photoshop for Photographers Tour. In this one-day seminar Ben teaches Photoshop speed tips that will let you perfect any image in record time. Plus, you'll learn his favorite photo-editing techniques for retouching, restoration, color correction, and anything else you need to crank out majorly cool images. What types of photographers should attend this seminar:

Digital and Traditional
Professional and Amateur
Educators and Students

And anyone else who owns a camera and wants to get the best results possible with the least amount of effort!

Class Schedule
Curves for Tonal Adjustment

10:00 to 11:00 A.M.
In this session, you'll see how the most powerful adjustment in Photoshop CS3 can help adjust for under and over-exposed images, add contrast to any area, exaggerate or hide detail, and much more. You'll also learn how control the tonality of your images as easy as using a dimmer switch.

Curves for Color

11:15 A.M. to 12:15 P.M.
Move beyond using simple adjustments like Color Balance and Variations and take total control over the color in your images. From removing sunburn to evening out skies, you'll discover how to make any color shift simple and easy while taking advantage of the Photoshop CS3 software's most sophisticated adjustment tools.

LUNCH BREAK
12:15 to 1:15 P.M.

HSB & Adjustment Layers

1:15 to 2:15 P.M.
If you've been wondering where Photoshop fits in, this is the session where you'll learn exactly that. You'll see why you may need Photoshop in your workflow, and exactly how to make things work so that moving between the two programs is seamless and totally painless every time. You'll see exactly how these two programs work together to create a smooth, professional workflow, plus, along the way you'll learn some very cool Photoshop techniques for photographers.

Advanced Masking

2:30 to 3:45 P.M.
In this session, you'll learn how to isolate complex objects from their backgrounds so you can quickly adjust or composite multiple images. You'll also be taught how to select fire, wispy hair, and translucent objects very quickly, so you can adjust or manipulate areas without spending countless hours making selections.

Start to Finish

4:00 to 5:00 P.M.
Uncover how the tips and techniques from the seminar can be combined to create awesome digital images. We'll work through five images from start to finish so you can see how the techniques can be applied to everyday photos, as well as extraordinary images that seem nearly impossible to restore.

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 21:40
Hatch's post about the PS Seminar reminded me that I meant to ask if anyone in our AZ group is a NAPP member? If so, would you reccomend spending the $$$ to join?

Hatch1921
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 21:52
Jay,

I was a member about 2 years ago... the site has improved over the years. I'm thinking of renewing my membership. They provide many video tutorials and articles. It's a good place to network as well. The magazine is a good read with lots of tips. I enjoyed the time I was a member...

Hatch

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 21:54
Thanks Hatch,

I've bought a couple issues of the mag just from the bookstand and I agree, it's a good read. The back 1/3rd of each issue is now devoted to Lightroom issues.

Well, since I'm not spending money on an upgraded 5D, guess I can spend some to make my PP skills better. :)

Cascavel
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 21:59
Thank for the link Hatch. Looks like it might be worth the $100 to attend. Never can hurt to become a little more efficient in PS.

ScottDR
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 22:36
Ok, last Sunday I made it out to the arboretum again :). Here are three shots I had a chance to convert:

The hybrid hummingbird from about 8-9 feet
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2217443287_e0d24694f8_b.jpg

Reflections
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/2217443841_c3aa0522cd_b.jpg

Classic Arizona shot
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2191/2218238284_cd6ce5a752_b.jpg

Once again-Canon DPP +2 sharpen, +2 contrast (or close) and convert. Can't imagine getting involved in Photoshop after this...hehe, going to take me a while. Good thing I'm saving all my RAW files for later when I know what I'm doing!

Jimbow1098
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 22:53
Anyone belong to AZPPA? http://www.arizonappa.com/seminars.html

FlyingPhotog
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 22:57
Ok, last Sunday I made it out to the arboretum again :). Here are three shots I had a chance to convert:

Nice trio of shots.

Good catch on the hummie
Really like the reflection
Nice iconic Saguaro shot

ScottDR
24th of January 2008 (Thu), 23:17
Nice trio of shots.

Good catch on the hummie
Really like the reflection
Nice iconic Saguaro shot

Thank you for the kinds words Jay. For some reason a hummingbird has been one of my primary target goals since I got this camera.

I still need to get over my old habits from film. :P Going to start bracket shooting on my next outing so I feel more free letting the shutter fly. Some old habits are really hard to break!

What would you do in Photoshop with those? Would you have shot them differently? I'm really curious as I also need to learn what options are out there. I LOVED Hatch's shot of Jake's little girl...he got rid of the stroller in the background next to her face and that just made the shot IMO.

azphotos
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 04:49

Nice model! Dang, Disney! My only issue on a few was the reflections from the glass on the fireplace - I would either open or remove the glass if I was doing a similar shoot. Otherwise quite nice.

Cascavel
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 12:35
Once again-Canon DPP +2 sharpen, +2 contrast (or close) and convert. Can't imagine getting involved in Photoshop after this...hehe, going to take me a while. Good thing I'm saving all my RAW files for later when I know what I'm doing!
Nice job Scott! I need to make another trip back to work on shots of that hybrid. Was he around for very long at that feeder? I only saw a brief glimpse of him as he chased any of the other hummers away. Let me know if you plan another trip back one of these weekends. Maybe we can get a small group out there again.

Guerry Dalrymple
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 14:30
I know many of you shoot in RAW. I like it but am haing some problems with my 1st run through of photos to determine what to keep or not. In jpeg I used the EOS Viewer software to look at photos. I could scan through fairly quickly and determine what to throw out. I could blow them up and check detail. With RAW photos I have to use the Zoom Browser to look at shots but can't check for detail until I get them in CS2 then I can't compair similar shots to pick the best.

What do some of you use to look at your RAW photos and check detail and compare to other shots?

Thanks
Guerry

BrianAZ
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 15:05
You can use DPP or Lightroom.

xpsentity
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 15:06
I know many of you shoot in RAW. I like it but am haing some problems with my 1st run through of photos to determine what to keep or not. In jpeg I used the EOS Viewer software to look at photos. I could scan through fairly quickly and determine what to throw out. I could blow them up and check detail. With RAW photos I have to use the Zoom Browser to look at shots but can't check for detail until I get them in CS2 then I can't compair similar shots to pick the best.

What do some of you use to look at your RAW photos and check detail and compare to other shots?

Thanks
Guerry

Enlarged preview in Bridge. Lightroom is good for quick workflow. ACR / CS3. Raw workflow is a bit slower till you get it down, but much better than lossy 8-bit jpeg.

Kristy
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 15:43
I use a really old program called Raw Shooter's Essentials.. It was some free program that eventually got bought by Adobe and then they created The Lightroom. I haven't switched yet because my workflow with it is so easy. I need to learn to use Lightroom as soon as I can spend time getting familiar with it. :)

Kristy
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 15:51
Off topic...

We had to put our dog to sleep this morning... He was almost 16 years old, and has been going downhill for a few months now.. He was in a lot of pain last night and I felt so bad for the old guy... so this morning it went without saying... We had to do the righ thing for him..

So, here' my tribute to Fred.... the cute, itchy scratchy, pain in the butt dog (:))that I loved more than I let on... He will be missed in our home.

Rutha73
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 17:41
Sorry for your loss Kristy, I know how hard that is :(

john69az
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 18:42
Jake very nice meeting you hope I can meet the rest of the gang someday. Hope you get alot of use out of the CF cards. John

Cascavel
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 18:46
So sorry to hear about your baby Kristy. I can only imagine how hard that is. I've lost several furry companions over the years and it never gets any easier.

You did the right thing as hard as it was. I'm sure he's running around up in doggie heaven havin' a good old time. :)

Great tribute photo btw.

FlyingPhotog
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 18:52
Kristy,

Sorry to hear. I firmly believe there's a special place for pets and the people who love them. Your tribute is lovely.

Jay

Jimbow1098
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 18:59
Sorry to hear about your loss Kristy!

Rutha73
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 19:20
Jake very nice meeting you hope I can meet the rest of the gang someday. Hope you get alot of use out of the CF cards. John

great to meet you too! hopefully we can get another photo shoot going soon. I wouldn't mind going to Goldfield ghost town and getting some action photos of the gunfighters and there is some good sandscapes out there also. maybe if we ask nice we can do some macro work on thier shootin' irons or something abstract (if there are no bugs out by then!)

TammieO
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 20:18
Hey Kristy,
Fred was a cutie and I know you'll miss him. I'm sorry for your loss. HUGS all the way around.

Tom O
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:00
Kristy..Sorry to hear of your loss. What a price we pay to love them but worth every second.

ScottDR
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:00
Kristy,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I've gone through the same thing several times as well. Keep in mind that you had given a very nice home to a great companion for many years. It's always hard to see them go but know that he lived well.

Tom O
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:06
great to meet you too! hopefully we can get another photo shoot going soon. I wouldn't mind going to Goldfield ghost town and getting some action photos of the gunfighters and there is some good sandscapes out there also. maybe if we ask nice we can do some macro work on thier shootin' irons or something abstract (if there are no bugs out by then!)

Not a problem with that at all. I'll set you up with whatever shots ya want. I've had photogs just want to shoot my spurs or cartridges in my belts etc. You know how wierd photogs can be:D

If I tell the guys you are OK, they will be very cooperative. Hey..I don't know any of you so how do I know if your OK??..LOL..On second thought I have met Cascavel and he made me buy his 28-135 USM IS so we now know he's a bad guy:lol:

Tom O
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:11
Mr. B...was nice meeting you yesterday and I really appreciate the lens. Thanks alot. I haven't got to play with it too much as it is tourista season and the jeep tours in the desert keeps me jumpin. Plan on taking it out to the ghost town tomorrow and play some. If I get lucky and get a decent shot or two I'll put them up here.

Rutha73
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:15
Not a problem with that at all. I'll set you up with whatever shots ya want. I've had photogs just want to shoot my spurs or cartridges in my belts etc. You know how wierd photogs can be:D

If I tell the guys you are OK, they will be very cooperative. Hey..I don't know any of you so how do I know if your OK??..LOL..On second thought I have met Cascavel and he made me buy his 28-135 USM IS so we now know he's a bad guy:lol:

my single action is only .22 so its not really intimidating :( what kind of guns do you use? (make/model?) i am assuming they are Colt .45 replicas?

edit: this is a pic my wife got with her pink camera after I gave Delaney a bath and forgot to comb her hair, I thought everyone would get a laugh out of it:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/2220062326_45f585b9a5.jpg

Rutha73
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:20
Mr. B...was nice meeting you yesterday and I really appreciate the lens. Thanks alot. I haven't got to play with it too much as it is tourista season and the jeep tours in the desert keeps me jumpin. Plan on taking it out to the ghost town tomorrow and play some. If I get lucky and get a decent shot or two I'll put them up here.

I am going to try to talk my friends to going out there tomorrow also, no idea what time tho.

Kristy
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:48
Sorry for your loss Kristy, I know how hard that is :(

So sorry to hear about your baby Kristy. I can only imagine how hard that is. I've lost several furry companions over the years and it never gets any easier.

You did the right thing as hard as it was. I'm sure he's running around up in doggie heaven havin' a good old time. :)

Great tribute photo btw.

Kristy,

Sorry to hear. I firmly believe there's a special place for pets and the people who love them. Your tribute is lovely.

Jay

Sorry to hear about your loss Kristy!

Hey Kristy,
Fred was a cutie and I know you'll miss him. I'm sorry for your loss. HUGS all the way around.

Kristy..Sorry to hear of your loss. What a price we pay to love them but worth every second.

Kristy,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I've gone through the same thing several times as well. Keep in mind that you had given a very nice home to a great companion for many years. It's always hard to see them go but know that he lived well.

Hey thanks guys... :) Sweet of you all.

It's quiet around here tonight.. will take some getting used to I guess...

I'm totally okay with it,... it was a long time coming and he was old and not well.... My hubby and Emily (my older daughter) are really sad.. but so it goes...
Alyssa (our youngest..) is asking "But where is the NEW Freddy..." I have a feeling we'll wait a while...

Thanks again! :)

Kristy
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:49
edit: this is a pic my wife got with her pink camera after I gave Delaney a bath and forgot to comb her hair, I thought everyone would get a laugh out of it:

Okay.. this child is so stinking cute... even with her hair standing up on end! Classic shot for the album! :) Thanks for the smile!

Tom O
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:51
I am going to try to talk my friends to going out there tomorrow also, no idea what time tho.

If you make it out..look forward to meeting you..gunfights start at noon and every hour on the hour through 4:00pm. I'm on a desert tour until 12:30 so won't be there until then.

>>my single action is only .22 so its not really intimidating :sad: what kind of guns do you use? (make/model?) i am assuming they are Colt .45 replicas?

Lots of colt 45's in different finishes. I carry 2 myself plus a non-firing replica for the tourists and their happy snappys. Lots of different guns and styles all from the late 1880's. Also a variey of shotguns, everything from mule ears to pumpers. Should be enough for something to catch your eye.

You can recognize me right off as I have long blonde hair to my shoulders, nothing I wear matches or is color coordinated (just like the 1880's), 3 guns and leather leggings. Go by Gnarley...and probably the loudest cowboy in the street:D

ScottDR
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 21:57

Oh man....Jake, I think the neighbors heard me laughing on that one! Glad to see she is actually using her 'pink' criteria camera! ROFL!!!

Kristy
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 22:02
Glad to see she is actually using her 'pink' criteria camera! ROFL!!!

LOL...:lol::lol: Does she really take pictures with one of these......??

Rutha73
25th of January 2008 (Fri), 22:34
Yup!! here she is, ready to go!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2220181418_34b9857b38.jpg

disneydork06
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 00:30
Kristy, Sorry to hear about your dog. it never is an easy thing to do.

Rutha, those are great pics of delaney. nice job forgetting to comb the hair :-P and that camera looks like it could be the same mp as my 1D :-P j/p

azphotos
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 04:34
Kristy - I know all your critters are well loved and cared for. Thank you for doing the right thing and not making him suffer. I know the pain of losing the four legged family members and your tribute is touching.

azphotos
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 04:35
Nice Delany pix Rutha- man do they grow up fast!

JmprSteve
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 10:05
Kristy,
Sorry to hear the news about Fred.

ScottDR
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 10:46
Nice job Scott! I need to make another trip back to work on shots of that hybrid. Was he around for very long at that feeder? I only saw a brief glimpse of him as he chased any of the other hummers away. Let me know if you plan another trip back one of these weekends. Maybe we can get a small group out there again.

Thanks Brendan!

I'm tentatively planning on going back out next weekend. The hybrid would buzz in and out...just had to wait quietly for 5-8 minutes for him.

Anyway, it'd be fun to meet up again...let me know. If anyone else wants to show up it'd be great! Otherwise I may have a get-together location idea that I'll spring on everyone soon.

Adam B.
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 12:29
Off topic...

We had to put our dog to sleep this morning... He was almost 16 years old, and has been going downhill for a few months now.. He was in a lot of pain last night and I felt so bad for the old guy... so this morning it went without saying... We had to do the righ thing for him..

So, here' my tribute to Fred.... the cute, itchy scratchy, pain in the butt dog (:))that I loved more than I let on... He will be missed in our home.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Smile and remember the pup in him and the day will be a little brighter.

Adam B.
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 12:34
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/2220062326_45f585b9a5.jpg

How fast they grow is right. She was just born for crying out loud and look how big she is now, WOW!!! She is very beautiful. When can she start dating?;)

Cascavel
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 13:41

Damn!! you figured me out Tom. I've been called a lot of things in my day and "bad guy" was just the tip of the iceberg. :evil:

It was great meeting you as well and I hope to see you put that lens to good use. Maybe one of these weekends I'll head up your way and get some good ghost town shots and maybe some gunslingers.
I'll just keep my eye out for the hair.;)

Cascavel
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 13:45
Thanks Brendan!

I'm tentatively planning on going back out next weekend. The hybrid would buzz in and out...just had to wait quietly for 5-8 minutes for him.

Anyway, it'd be fun to meet up again...let me know. If anyone else wants to show up it'd be great! Otherwise I may have a get-together location idea that I'll spring on everyone soon.

Let me know if you do and I'll plan on meeting up with you. I'll even drag my cheap old tripod out and just camp for a while by the feeders. This time I'll bring my 100-400 and give that a try as well. You can coach me a little of proper exposure. ;)
Maybe at some point this spring we can get a small group together and set up a rattlesnake photo shoot for those interested.

disneydork06
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 14:27
real live rattlers? :-)

Cascavel
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 14:42
Of course! Dead one's wouldn't be much fun.

disneydork06
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 15:05
hehe, never saw any in person yet :-P

Rutha73
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 15:09
Are they going to be wild rattlers? That would be fun! Here is our newest "pet". Found him in an electrical box on the airfield at Luke AFB, see Hatch you just have to know where to look! LOL
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2221586754_14a19f248f.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2221587216_40d31c376c.jpg

TammieO
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 15:48
Let me know if you do and I'll plan on meeting up with you. I'll even drag my cheap old tripod out and just camp for a while by the feeders. This time I'll bring my 100-400 and give that a try as well. You can coach me a little of proper exposure. ;)
Maybe at some point this spring we can get a small group together and set up a rattlesnake photo shoot for those interested.

If work permits, I would like to meet up with you guys.
Rattlesnake photos would be very cool!
If anyone is interested, there are white pelicans at Ocotillo and Price. There are also a bunch of canada geese, cormorants, widgeons, mallards, coots, pied billed grebes, Great blue herons, Great egrets, and a snowy egret.
Here are a couple. I took the 1st and Russ took the 2nd. Looks like they suffered a little from resizing.:evil: Oh well, y'all get the idea. ;)

macroshooter1970
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 16:25
If work permits, I would like to meet up with you guys.
Rattlesnake photos would be very cool!
If anyone is interested, there are white pelicans at Ocotillo and Price. There are also a bunch of canada geese, cormorants, widgeons, mallards, coots, pied billed grebes, Great blue herons, Great egrets, and a snowy egret.
Here are a couple. I took the 1st and Russ took the 2nd. Looks like they suffered a little from resizing.:evil: Oh well, y'all get the idea. ;)

they look good enough to eat, yum yum

Cascavel
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 16:26
Are they going to be wild rattlers? That would be fun! Here is our newest "pet". Found him in an electrical box on the airfield at Luke AFB, see Hatch you just have to know where to look! LOL
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2221586754_14a19f248f.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2221587216_40d31c376c.jpg
Cool little banded gecko. I see hundreds of those guys each year while out looking for snakes.

I am always up for looking for wild snakes but this time of year it's not that easy. In a couple months it will be much easier. In the mean time I have several that I can bring with and pose for photos.

Nice bird shots Tammie and thanks for the tip!

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 20:18
Hi ! As you can see I am new here and was told about this forum by another member and I look forward to meeting you and everone else. I would like to know more about the meeting if I can be so bold to ask...
Thanks!

TammieO
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 20:25
Hi Larry. Welcome to our little corner! What do you like to shoot?

disneydork06
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 20:57
Welcome Larry, every now and then we like to go out and meet up and shoot. I think someone wants to go out and eat and shoot sometime soon. all we need is someone to suggest something and set it up for everyone and soon we can get another meeting going :-P

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:16
Thanks Ryan,
I'm still trying to figure this site out and find my way around... As a resident of this fine state (AZ) there is so much to want to see and shoot. I have been telling myself for the past couple of weeks to go and shoot the sandhill cranes near Wilcox...maybe that woulkd be a nice trip for those that may be interested.....

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:17
Thanks Tammie..I really appreciate the welcome. I like it all ! but to help narrow it down....landscapes are my favorite but I enjoy wildlife, nature and macro

Tom O
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:21
Hi ! As you can see I am new here and was told about this forum by another member and I look forward to meeting you and everone else. I would like to know more about the meeting if I can be so bold to ask...
Thanks!

I see this fella today sitting on an ore car tongue for the longest time shooting with this big ole white canon lens...h'mmm wonder what that could be:eek:.....

Larry, I see you didn't have any trouble finding the place. Welcome aboard and it was nice meeting you today. I'm looking forward to going out and doing some clicking together.

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:28
Tom,
I want to Thank you...already I can see this will be such an advantage to me and my so called skills as a photographer.. I really appreciate you telling me about this..I was just looking at some of the shots I took today..I can share them with you if I knew how.....

Tom O
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:29

B..what about getting Zach to maybe let us pose some of his. Maybe we could find a 'safe' place to stage them?? Also tarantulas, scorpions would be really good, not to mention a gila monster...I would really be up for that...

Tom O
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:31
Tom,
I want to Thank you...already I can see this will be such an advantage to me and my so called skills as a photographer.. I really appreciate you telling me about this..I was just looking at some of the shots I took today..I can share them with you if I knew how.....

You bet just post them here or send them to me at gnarley@cox.net. Would really like to see some.

You & I are about in the same boat so hopefully some of these folks who are really good will take us under their wings and help us out....hint...hint..

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:33
Tom...If you want....give me a couple of minutes and I'll send you a couple of those from today

Tom O
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:42
Tom...If you want....give me a couple of minutes and I'll send you a couple of those from today

Great...standing by..

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 21:52
Tom....there's a couple....not too much to get excited about...but....

Tom O
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 22:07
Tom....there's a couple....not too much to get excited about...but....

Got em Larry...I like the composition of both shots. If I were an expert I'd give you a more complete critique. I just know what I like and I liked both shots.

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 22:12
Thanks Tom..I was really wanting something a little different.....I appreciate your thoughts

FlyingPhotog
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 22:48
Thanks!

Hi Larry!

Welcome to our little corner of POTN. I'm also in Chandler.

Jay Beckman
aka "FlyingPhotog"

Larry Conley
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 22:53
HI Jay !
Thanks for the welcome.....I look forward in meeting the gang real soon and a chance to swap ideas etc!

disneydork06
26th of January 2008 (Sat), 23:48
Hey Larry, have you found a place to store your photos online? it will help when you want to upload some photos onto here for us to gander at your work :-)
some of us use flickr.com. It's free to start to use. and only about $25 for a whole year of unlimited use.
just a suggestion :-)

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 01:52
PING - Hatch

PM Enroute To You...

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 05:59
Ryan

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't as of now but I like your idea, Not sure if I want you guys and gals looking at my work...not sure if I can take the laughter..!!

TammieO
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 08:11
We, in Chandler will soon be able to take over! Bwa ha ha ha ha {laughs maniacally while rubbing hands together}. I'm only a few miles from Mike (Arizona85224)and I think I live really close to Jay (based on his photo from up high). I'm near Stellar Airpark...north side of Chandler Blvd; between Rural and Desert Breeze.

Hatch1921
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 10:03
Got your PM Jay...sent one back to you. :)

Welcome to the board Larry and the rest of the new folks. I think Kristy and I (me...proper grammer?) are the only ones living out on the West side of town.... anyone else?

Any plans for another shoot? I was thinking Tonopah...just to have the East side folks drive a little. ROFL

Seriously.. anything in the works? I think it would be cool to have a meal prior to or after a photo shoot so we can all BS a little.

Enjoy the week all.
Hatch

Rutha73
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 10:19
Got your PM Jay...sent one back to you. :)

Welcome to the board Larry and the rest of the new folks. I think Kristy and I (me...proper grammer?) are the only ones living out on the West side of town.... anyone else?

Any plans for another shoot? I was thinking Tonopah...just to have the East side folks drive a little. ROFL

Seriously.. anything in the works? I think it would be cool to have a meal prior to or after a photo shoot so we can all BS a little.

Enjoy the week all.
Hatch

how is the World Wildlife Zoo? I haven't been to that one yet, are there good animals to photograph out there? I hear they are putting an aquarium in out there also, anyone know how close that is to getting in?

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 10:25
Hatch
Thanks for the welcome..I hope I can live up to the high standards you all have here

Hatch1921
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 10:41
Jake,

The WWZ is pretty nice.. it isn't a massive Zoo like the Phx Zoo. The animals are closer to photograph. I've been there a few times... not a bad place to shoot photos. The aquarium is still under construction. I do not know the completition date.

Larry... I'm sure you will do just fine. We have all levels of photographers on the board. This is what makes our little group so much fun...we all learn from each other. But... as you have been warned... stay clear of TammieO... she casts spells over people...she baits you with her killer gear and then you are forced to run out and buy your own. I think she is an undercover agent for Canon. ROFL

Good times!
Hatch

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 10:46
Hatch... Thanks for the warning about TammieO....sounds like the one person I need to stay clear of!,(just kidding). I look forward to having a shoot day with you all..maybe an old man like me can still learn a few things.

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 12:26
We, in Chandler will soon be able to take over! Bwa ha ha ha ha {laughs maniacally while rubbing hands together}. I'm only a few miles from Mike (Arizona85224)and I think I live really close to Jay (based on his photo from up high). I'm near Stellar Airpark...north side of Chandler Blvd; between Rural and Desert Breeze.

Tammie,

I like your way of thinking... :cool:

<chanting> Chandler..Chandler..Chandler..

LOL

Guerry Dalrymple
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 12:33
Welcome Larry

As a new member myself I can say this is a friendly and helpful bunch. I had some real trouble figuring out how to post on here. Got a lot of help from guys on the Bird forum and finally figured it out. I use www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) to post pictures on the forum. It is easy, now that I know how, and free. If you need any help let me know. I don't know how old you are but bet I got you beat. Feel free to e-mail me if you need.:)

Guerry

Guerry Dalrymple
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 12:44
Hey Gang

I just got this e-mail from Paul out at Boyce Thompson. Thought I would pass it on in case anyone else was interested. Nancy and I are signingup for it.

Guerry

"Magazine Photography with Mark Skalny"
March 1 at the Arboretum

Superior, AZ: Are your photos good enough for National Geographic, Arizona
Highways, or Phoenix Magazine? Learn how to get published from a pro --
Arboretum volunteer and full-time photographer Mark Skalny. Mark will teach
a "how to shoot for magazines" session on March 1 (Saturday) with 90 minutes
in the lecture room followed by an hour or two walking the grounds and talking
about composition, lighting, dimensions and other insider tips that have
helped him get published. This class will cover the basics ("shoot vertical
more often for cover art -- and leave white space or sky at the top to leave
room for text!"), as well as how to anticipate photo editors' needs, how to
shoot seasonally, protecting your copyright with digital watermarks, file
names and background file information. Cost is $25 for Arboretum annual
members, $32.50 for nonmembers. Sign up during daytime business hours by
calling 520-689-2723.

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 12:48

I do on occasion :-P well, kinda northwestish. I know that I don't need to go on any highways to get to kristy's house so that must constitute being close, lol.

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 12:50
That looks very interesting. Thanks Guerry for posting that.

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 13:14
Guerry...Thank you for the welcome message..I really appreciate it!....I know in time like all things I will figure it out but I will kep your email..just in case ! Thanks! Old?....hahahaha...lets see....was around when ...well...that might be telling but I will gladly let you have those honors!! Thanks!
Also...That looks like a good idea at the arboretum..I do think I will sign up!

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 13:19
Hey Gang

I just got this e-mail from Paul out at Boyce Thompson. Thought I would pass it on in case anyone else was interested. Nancy and I are signingup for it.

<SNIP>

This is exactly the kind of seminar I'd love to attend but of course, I won't be home that weekend... :evil:

*Sigh* Sometimes I really hate my day job... One of these years, I'm just gonna have to chuck it all and committ 100% to photography or else it's just gonna remain an expensive hobby... :cry:

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 14:00
<SNIP>

This is exactly the kind of seminar I'd love to attend but of course, I won't be home that weekend... :evil:

*Sigh* Sometimes I really hate my day job... One of these years, I'm just gonna have to chuck it all and committ 100% to photography or else it's just gonna remain an expensive hobby... :cry:
I'm going to school for photography and I still think of it as an expensive hobby :-P don't know if I will be able to make a living from it or not but only time will tell...plus I gotta graduate ::crosses fingers::

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 14:01
how is the World Wildlife Zoo? I haven't been to that one yet, are there good animals to photograph out there? I hear they are putting an aquarium in out there also, anyone know how close that is to getting in?
ooh, I haven't been there since '96. that might be an interesting place to head out to soon before the heat comes back up.

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:13
Hey Larry..here's some info for you and a reminder for anyone else interested.

"Captivated by the Light" seminar by Ed Pierce in Phoenix on Feb. 14th at the the Phoeniix Airport Marriott. It costs $49.00 but if you use the discount code: WESTCOTT when you register on-line it's only $19.00.:smile: Looks to me it should be pretty interesting. Trade show at 6:30 seminar at 7:30-10:30. I have registered already.

Here's the link to look it over.

http://edpierceseminars.com/learn.php

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:25
Tom.....Looks very interesting...I think I will go and see if I can learn somethnig Thanks!

Hatch1921
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:46
See you all at the "Captivated by the Light" seminar ...thanks for the link Tom O.

Hatch

FlyingPhotog
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 16:57
I'm going to school for photography and I still think of it as an expensive hobby :-P don't know if I will be able to make a living from it or not but only time will tell...plus I gotta graduate ::crosses fingers::

The thing is, I know I could run the business side of things pretty well having been self employed off and on since 1986 (and continuously since 1990.)

But I also understand the chain of "paying your dues" and having to start at the bottom and work your way up. Being toward the back end of 40-something now, I don't know if I'd really have the patience to put up with the BS of being an assistant or playing second fiddle. I'm always willing to listen and learn but I'm afraid I'd get really frustrated if I couldn't also contribute right out of the gate.

I also have the "disadvantage" of really only wanting to shoot one or two specific areas of interest where the pool is quite small and already pretty well populated.

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 17:13
The thing is, I know I could run the business side of things pretty well having been self employed off and on since 1986 (and continuously since 1990.)

But I also understand the chain of "paying your dues" and having to start at the bottom and work your way up. Being toward the back end of 40-something now, I don't know if I'd really have the patience to put up with the BS of being an assistant or playing second fiddle. I'm always willing to listen and learn but I'm afraid I'd get really frustrated if I couldn't also contribute right out of the gate.

I also have the "disadvantage" of really only wanting to shoot one or two specific areas of interest where the pool is quite small and already pretty well populated.

I understand your points completely and that's exactly why I consider myself a hobbyist with NO interest in making money from it. If I want to ruin this passion quickly...I'd turn it into a business. To me that would be the kiss of death because now there would be a whole new set of parameters and pressure. Now, don't get me wrong, I want to be the best I can within the confines of my abilities and understanding and I love to learn things..that's why I'm here hanging around with you folks:lol: and feel great when I actually take a good shot etc. but the bottom line for me is...have fun and if I like the shot..it's a good shot;)

Guerry Dalrymple
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 18:02
I understand your points completely and that's exactly why I consider myself a hobbyist with NO interest in making money from it. If I want to ruin this passion quickly...I'd turn it into a business. To me that would be the kiss of death because now there would be a whole new set of parameters and pressure. Now, don't get me wrong, I want to be the best I can within the confines of my abilities and understanding and I love to learn things..that's why I'm here hanging around with you folks:lol: and feel great when I actually take a good shot etc. but the bottom line for me is...have fun and if I like the shot..it's a good shot;)

You make a good point Tom. I would love for my hobby to help pay for its self but not at the expense of the fun. I am trying to learn how to do some things that I might get paid for once in a while but still will concentrate on my favorites. A friend who happens to be a pro told me the other day. I was complaining that I was having trouble getting pictures that I liked. He told me as a pro it didn't matter what I liked but what sold. On the other side being a "photographer" it didn't matter what others thought but what you felt good about. Some day maybe I'll figure that all out.:confused:

Guerry

ScottDR
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 18:09
Welcome Larry! Sorry, I'm a bit behind as I haven't had a chance to get on-line! You will find this a wide ranging group and TONS of help in figuring out digital SLR-dom.

And, two posts up...Jay, you just put into words the way I feel about photography. Starting out at the bottom, having a narrow range of subject with TONS of others doing so really hit home (even the on/off self-employed part!).

Well, I need to get this system fully up and running. Finally got a desktop I can play with pictures.

ScottDR
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 18:11
Guerry and Tom both make good points as well. I guess we are all trying to find that middle ground :).

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 18:55

that's why I think it may be beneficial to do the thing with some friends/fellow photogs

xpsentity
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 19:07
Wish that seminar wasn't on Valentines day, lol...

ScottDR
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 19:09
See you all at the "Captivated by the Light" seminar ...thanks for the link Tom O.

Hatch

I almost forgot to sign up! Thanks for the reminder Tom. I'll be there all!

sassinak
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 19:32

I'm more central than west, but I'll count myself as being on the "west" side compared to people like Tammie

Are we meeting up anytime soon?

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 19:41
HI and Thanks for the welcome Scott.....I appreciate it!

ScottDR
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 20:24
I'm more central than west, but I'll count myself as being on the "west" side compared to people like Tammie

Are we meeting up anytime soon?

I'm near Hwy 51 and Nothern Avenue, so central here!

Kristy
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 20:35
I'm near Hwy 51 and Nothern Avenue, so central here!

You ever hike up Dreamy Draw?? I've always wondered what it looks like from up there... anything worth taking pictures of ?

Kristy
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 20:37
Hey Larry... . :) Welcome to the AZ corner of POTN... This place has been busy lately and I can't keep up with you all... :)

What do you shoot? What's your favorite subject? You can post images here without a gallery.. just choose save for web in PS and make the image size around 800 px wide on the long end... you'll be good to go. :)

scottcolbath
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 20:42
Hey Scott!! Didn't know you hung around these parts. I just started shooting DSLR in December and stumbled on this forum. Great place with great people.

True. Nice folks here. I found it about a year ago.

What camera and lenses are you using now? I think I remember you had a 30D or something.

Yup. 30D with the 28-135 EFS and also a 100-300 EF. I have a Rebel XT on the way with a kit lens that I found for a good deal, so I can not worry about swapping lenses when out in the field.

I still have the copper 99 and the black/siler 2001. Need a spare?:cool:
I also have the KTM 640 Adv.

S.C.

Blue-J
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 20:47

Hatch

Tom O, Hatch, I just signed up, too, so maybe I can elevate my "hobby status" up! Thanks for the link and that super discount code, Tom. Wow!

BTW,

As for locals, I am in the NE corner of Phoenix, and work in mid-Central Phoenix.

Hey, Tom, are we supposed to bring our camera gear with us to the seminar?

ScottDR
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:15
You ever hike up Dreamy Draw?? I've always wondered what it looks like from up there... anything worth taking pictures of ?

Not dreamy draw (sad, I know) but I have hiked Squaw (now Piestewa) Peak when we first moved up here from Mesa. I got it down to 27 minutes to the peak before I stopped (brutal footing). Not much to photograph as it's all city and brown cloud unfortunately. Well, then again some good shots could be had on the way up of the mountain itself.

Since you pointed it out, I really should go up the dreamy draw itself soon and report about it's potential! I'll let everyone know.

BamPhoto
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:27
First Hello to all the New People! I just signed up, not sure if I'll make it but for $19.00 I'll take the chance.
Hopefully see you guys all there.

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:44
>>Hey, Tom, are we supposed to bring our camera gear with us to the seminar?

I don't think so or at least I saw nothing about it on the website.

We have about 5 or 6 going so far!!

Blue-J
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:52
>>Hey, Tom, are we supposed to bring our camera gear with us to the seminar?

I don't think so or at least I saw nothing about it on the website.

We have about 5 or 6 going so far!!

Thanks for getting back to me on that, and from your signature tag line, seems like you and me are "in the boat" as to semi-serious hobbyist with XTi, in tow.

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:53
You make a good point Tom. I would love for my hobby to help pay for its self but not at the expense of the fun. I am trying to learn how to do some things that I might get paid for once in a while but still will concentrate on my favorites. A friend who happens to be a pro told me the other day. I was complaining that I was having trouble getting pictures that I liked. He told me as a pro it didn't matter what I liked but what sold. On the other side being a "photographer" it didn't matter what others thought but what you felt good about. Some day maybe I'll figure that all out.:confused:

Guerry

Your pro friend hit it right on the head!! I have a friend who is an artist and she likes to paint certain things but they don't sell so she has to paint things she doesn't enjoy to turn a dollar. She's in a constant state of turmoil over it..I would imagine the photog business would be much the same.

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:55
Thanks for getting back to me on that, and from your signature tag line, seems like you and me are "in the boat" as to semi-serious hobbyist with XTi, in tow.

Hi Blue-J...yes sir..looks like we are a pair to draw to:D We'll, have to meet up at one of the gatherings and do some semi-serious hobbyist stuff...LOL:o

Tom O
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 21:56
First Hello to all the New People! I just signed up, not sure if I'll make it but for $19.00 I'll take the chance.
Hopefully see you guys all there.

Sure hope you make it up...can you come up early? I was thinking it could be fun to get together a bit early, if possible, grab something to eat and get aquainted. I have only met Larry and Brendan so far.

Larry Conley
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 22:02
Hi Kristy.....Thank you for the welcome!...I can see already that I am going to enjoy this site......What do I shoot?.....well..for starters..I limit myself to (if you meant equipment) Canon...I have a number of them started years ago with the ElanII and then went to a EOS 3, then to the 1V and finally to the xti and now moved up to the 40....next step will have to wait and see.....if you meant what are my favorite subjects?...well....there is a real cross section....landscapes might rank up there towards the top, with wilflife, (other than human),nature, portraits (non posed) and almost anything that may draw my interest.......I'm working on the possibility of a site.....and as soon as I get it going...I will be more than happy to share.... thats is if you enjoy humor!

disneydork06
27th of January 2008 (Sun), 22:30
Wow, do you still have all those film cameras Larry? btw, I too am trying to work on a website but so far I am failing miserably :-)