PDA

View Full Version : Arizona POTN get together?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

macroshooter1970
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 16:08
I don't, I'm sure someone has it in the group... Tammie? :D

If not... there is always http://www.lensrentals.com/item/canon-135mm-f2.0-l

Hatch

Thanks, might try the rental thing out. looks like no deposit huh.

Hatch1921
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 17:32
Thanks, might try the rental thing out. looks like no deposit huh.

No problem.. This is why I use them and not Tempe Camera... no hassle...no deposit... great customer service.

ToferPhotography
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 20:59
https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Photoshop Express.... have a look.... might be something useful?
Hatch

I played around with it as well, nice addition to the web for sure!

Larry Conley
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 22:45
They are out and about!

FlyingPhotog
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:06
Does anyone own the 135mm?

Wish I did but sorry, no gots...

FlyingPhotog
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:08
They are out and about!

Snake or Lizard?

I can't quite tell... I'm guessing snake 'cause I don't see any limbs...

Cool use of selective focus.

Larry Conley
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:17
Snake or Lizard?

I can't quite tell... I'm guessing snake 'cause I don't see any limbs...

Cool use of selective focus.

Snake......I was going for the *head* shot.....
I was looking on the net to I.D. it but had no luck...some type of shovelhead I think...but I'm by far not an *expert*

FlyingPhotog
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:18

You definately nailed it...

Sorry my herpatological skills extend no farther than:

SNAKE! RUN!!! :lol:

Larry Conley
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:22
You definately nailed it...

Sorry my herpatological skills extend no farther than:

SNAKE! RUN!!! :lol:

It kept me on my toes the rest of the day ...thats for sure....looking at every corner..this guy was on a fallen tree basking .....almost walked right up to him....Almost had a *surprise* in my pants!

FlyingPhotog
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:27
It kept me on my toes the rest of the day ...thats for sure....looking at every corner..this guy was on a fallen tree basking .....almost walked right up to him....Almost had a *surprise* in my pants!

T M I...!!! :shock:

Larry Conley
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:33
T M I...!!! :shock:

LMAO !! got it...thanks!

Larry Conley
30th of March 2008 (Sun), 23:42
LMAO !! got it...thanks!

Jay...I'm headed for the barn...I need to do a little research on eagles.....trying to figure out the best way to photography them....Talk with you later...thanks for the kind words!

JmprSteve
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 01:17
Did an informal shoot this afternoon, testing out using just speedlights /speedlights with gels. My niece was nice enough to volunteer as the model.

JmprSteve
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 01:18
and two more....

FlyingPhotog
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 01:39
^^^

I like the silouette (sp?) and the lighting in 2 and 4 is terriffic.

I think the BG overpowers your subject just a bit in #3 (or maybe you just needed about 1/2 stop more exposure on your neice.) Very pretty girl btw...

Az2Africa
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 08:13
Nice shots Steve. I agree with Jay. About a half stop more on the subject would have done it. Did you use a light meter?
BWT the skin tones on my Eizo monitor are perfect !! Nice work keeping the BG color from spilling on to the pretty model.

JmprSteve
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 10:35
I was testing, the background was a gel'd 480 on Manual at 1/32 power. The main was the 580 with a cinefoil slap it together snoot. I had a 'Olive Garden' black straw grid on the main but I wasn't happy with the results. Took the grid out and kept shooting. I'll need to meter a bit more often. I had metered at the beginning but then got into moving/adjusting the light to get the effect I wanted. I need to play around with this somemore.

disneydork06
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 11:58
shots look good steve. nice job. I'm just starting to play with my gels on my flashes.

john69az
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 19:38
Can anyone recommend a good set of background stands? I want to get some but don't want too cheap or too expensive. I want to start trying some more portrait work and will probably want to spend between $100 and $250 thanks, John

BrianAZ
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 20:45
I've got the impact background stands from B&H. I'm happy with them. I've also got the Bogen Autopoles. I honestly use the Impact setup far more (maybe 10 to 1).

Az2Africa
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 22:16
I got the Amvona BG stands. About $99.00. They are inexpensive and generally ok. I just replaced my light stands with Bogen century stands because the ones that came with my lighting kit were just too flimsy to hold larger softboxes. The c-stands are fantastic to use and very stable.

JmprSteve
31st of March 2008 (Mon), 23:41
I use the RPS stands that I got at Photomark, I can't remember what I paid for them but they work well. They came with a carrying case, the stands go into pockets on the ends and the three section poles go in the center.
We've hung some pretty heavy material from them and they held up, no slipping as the night wore on.

disneydork06
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 15:57
second that on c-stands. they're amazing and can do a lot.

anyways, I was wondering if anyone can give some recommendations of where to go and visit in Jerome, AZ. I've never been out there and I'm thinking about a trip there this wednesday morning for like an hour or two. this is mainly for a project I'm working on in a class.
or maybe someone has images I can use for my class? I will give photo credits :-P we're making a 2 two-page spreads.

xpsentity
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 16:05
Jerome is very small. Just wander about. Prepare to go up and down quite a bit.

Go down the alleys, there's cool hippies with strange shops in all the dark corners.

The glassblowing guy down one of the alleys is *awesome*

FlyingPhotog
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 18:14
http://www.criscam.com/

Anyone in our little corner of the world ever take any gear to these folks?

On 56th Street in Chandler... Go Figure...

Az2Africa
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 18:37
Good Lord ! I just went and picked up the new printer. The box takes up the bed of the Dodge truck I rented. I'm gonna have fun figuring out where to put this thing.:lol:

FlyingPhotog
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 19:35
Good Lord ! I just went and picked up the new printer. The box takes up the bed of the Dodge truck I rented. I'm gonna have fun figuring out where to put this thing.:lol:

Time to add the Post Production wing to the ol' estate? :D

macroshooter1970
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 19:37

anyways, I was wondering if anyone can give some recommendations of where to go and visit in Jerome, AZ. I've never been out there and I'm thinking about a trip there this wednesday morning for like an hour or two. this is mainly for a project I'm working on in a class.
or maybe someone has images I can use for my class? I will give photo credits :-P we're making a 2 two-page spreads.

very small place, just go and shoot.

azphotos
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 19:53

Disney -

Lots of cool stuff and you can wander around...if you get the chance go to the GoldKing mine and spend the buck or two to get in - lots of olde machinery and tractors, etc....the old electric plant is there and a ww2 submarine engine that runs a saw mill - lots of neato stuff

azphotos
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 19:54

Which offset did you fit in the truck LOL

azphotos
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 20:22
Some really nice shots have been shared here in the past couple of weeks! The train is great! Hatch knows his work is good so I don't have to tell him. I do like Jumpers colors - thanks for sharing. And Rutha, your kid is just sooo cute! I know there were lots more that were excellent, but those are the ones that stick in my mind....

Kristy -

Is there an update to the very sad saga of 5d? Last I heard it was back and there was a lack of joy :(

disneydork06
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 22:05
hmm, if you want to use some test prints I'm sure I can get you my capstone project to print :-D

Hatch1921
1st of April 2008 (Tue), 23:59
Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words but I have a long way to go!!

Is there an update to the very sad saga of 5d? Last I heard it was back and there was a lack of joy I won't spoil it... she can tell the story :)

News.... I'm no longer going to Germany... bitter sweet... in the end... very happy to stay here!!! :)

Have a good night all.
Hatch

disneydork06
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 00:27
Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words but I have a long way to go!!

Is there an update to the very sad saga of 5d? Last I heard it was back and there was a lack of joy I won't spoil it... she can tell the story :)

News.... I'm no longer going to Germany... bitter sweet... in the end... very happy to stay here!!! :)

Have a good night all.
Hatch
yay! I was just thinking that it almost seems like you're staying here since I haven't heard about your leaving yet :-P

Kristy
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:12
Kristy -

Is there an update to the very sad saga of 5d? Last I heard it was back and there was a lack of joy :(

Yep.... the 5D and 24-70 are back at Canon again... 4th time... the 20D will be going back again too after I resolve the 5D's issues.

So at the moment, I'm waiting.... for final delivery... of the REPLACEMENT 5D... YAY!! I got the e-mai yesterday that they are processing an order to replace the body. :) I'm not going to be excited and giddy about it until I have it in my hands though.... But I am happy to know that after 5 months, they have decided to do the right thing... too bad it took them 5 months to arrive at this decision.

Anyway, I'll update as things progress... an thanks for asking!

Hope everyone is well, I've been busy and behind so playing catch-up (which is my typical MO it seems).

Happy Day!! :)

disneydork06
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 11:55
Yay! congrats on finally getting a replacement!

Cascavel
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:07
I was looking on the net to I.D. it but had no luck...some type of shovelhead I think...but I'm by far not an *expert*

Larry it's a Coachwhip. Nice close up. These snakes usually don't sit still for very long. They are one of the fastest moving snakes we have in AZ.:)

BrianAZ
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:11
Congrats Kristy! I hope you got confirmation from them that they are sending you a new body and not a refurbished one.

Az2Africa
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 12:47
Larry it's a Coachwhip. Nice close up. These snakes usually don't sit still for very long. They are one of the fastest moving snakes we have in AZ.:)

Hey! I knew Brandon would chime in with the answer. :D

Kristy
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 13:41
Congrats Kristy! I hope you got confirmation from them that they are sending you a new body and not a refurbished one.

I just e-mailed this morning asking them to make sure it's new... I definitely do not want refurbished.. I paid for new, I should get new... I hadn't thought of the
chance they'd send refurbished.... but my hubby brought it up last night, so I thought I better make sure they don't try anything sneaky.... **fingers crossed at the moment** :)

john69az
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 20:23
Thanks BrianAZ, AZ2Africa and Steve for the background stand recommendations. I think I will order some soon. I am leaning toward the Impact stands from B & H because of the 12' max width and not a bad price point either.

azphotos
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 21:36
Woot! Huge news there Hatch! For those of us that were morose at your plans to leave, it is good news! You gonna be stationed here then for the next 3 years?

Kristy - Woot! Huge news for you too. Let us hope you are getting a winner this time around!

John69az - I found the background stands I liked "Photoflex ProDuty BackDrop Support Kit - DP-SHDBGSPKT" I ordered them from Canoga more than two months ago and no stands yet!! I emailed Photoflex to find out what the issue was and they did not even have the decency to provide a response. I do have some photoflex equipment in my arsenal and their rudeness coupled with the inability to resolve a backorder issue in two months make me wonder if I will consider them for any future equipment. I will email them again to find out what their problem is and report any findings here.

john69az
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 22:03
Thanks Geoff did you check them out in person anywhere? Maybe I need to go look at some at Photomark and Tempe Camera. They do look good and sturdy.

Larry Conley
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 22:14

Brendan,

Ahhhhhhhhh thanks...I was still looking for some info on it but now I can search more in detail ! Thanks I really appreciate the info!

Adam B.
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 22:51

Have a good night all.
Hatch

Good new indeed!!!

azphotos
2nd of April 2008 (Wed), 22:52
Thanks Geoff did you check them out in person anywhere? Maybe I need to go look at some at Photomark and Tempe Camera. They do look good and sturdy.

No, I did not. Of all the stands that I looked at via spec, etc. , these seem to be the ones that have what I am looking for at a reasonable price.

They go quite high so you can do the up the nose shots and the center bar is adjustable so you do not have to be stuck with sections of various lengths. The stand are rated to handle a bit of weight too.

Sadly, what is the use of better mouse trap if you can not get it?

The bad part is that they have been backordered on Canoga since at least January and Photflex promised a mid Feb dly and then a mid March Dly and now Canoga tells me that Photoflex refuses to give a delivery date. I wrote Photoflex on the 20th of March to inquire what was going on and Photoflex rudely did not even respond. I wrote them again today. Seems that there are problems at the company if they let a backorder go on over 2 months and they don't respond to a backorder inquiry. I wonder what happens if you have a warranty inquiry, do you get ignored too?

Please let me know if you find a background stand set you like and I'll let the group know if Photoflex responds to my inquiry.

Adam B.
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 08:39
Due to some financial problems I'm being force to sell one of my camera bodys. So I'm putting my 30D with grip and 2 batteries up for sale. Sale price is $700. I'll keep it local for a couple days before posting in the sale section of POTN. If interrested IM me. Thanks.

Cascavel
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 18:52
Brendan,

Ahhhhhhhhh thanks...I was still looking for some info on it but now I can search more in detail ! Thanks I really appreciate the info!

Glad to be of help. If you ever have a snake question don't hesitate to ask.
They are starting to wake up that's for sure. :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2360662930_492cea0858.jpg

AZTBS
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 19:26
What an amazing shot Brendan!

I had to read 5 pages to catch up, I haven't had any time lately. I just wanted to drop in and say hello again before I disappear for another week into work. :(

Larry Conley
3rd of April 2008 (Thu), 21:17
Glad to be of help. If you ever have a snake question don't hesitate to ask.
They are starting to wake up that's for sure. :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2360662930_492cea0858.jpg

Thats what I call a great shot!!!.......I would just love to find a opportunity like that but be more than 100 ft away and using a Loooooong lense! That is just really good with the poppies in the background!

Cascavel
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 11:39
Thanks Tiff and Larry. I was really hoping for more chances to capture some shots of snakes with natural wildflower backdrops. Seems it was a short window and things are starting to dry up. Guess I'll have to get creative.

Kristy
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 11:48
Yeah... I like the natual elements in this too. :) The wildflowers really add to the overall feeling of the shot. :)

Dont' think I'd be standing around long enough to shoot one of these guys... One look and I'd be quickly heading in another direction.

azphotos
4th of April 2008 (Fri), 21:59
Sadly, what is the use of better mouse trap if you can not get it?

Please let me know if you find a background stand set you like and I'll let the group know if Photoflex responds to my inquiry.

I did get an email from the CEO of Photoflex,Gene Kester.. Seems the manufacturing by a supplier was not up to the standard that Photoflex wanted. The supplier was given another chance and again the products did not meet spec. Another manufacturer was contacted earlier and their product met the Quality Control for which Photoflex was looking. Hence the very long delay. Six copies of the stand shipped to Canoga and they arrived there today and I confirmed my order from January. With luck I will be able to report on the kit next week.

Sadly the CEO did not address the company rudeness in not answering my first inquiry nor was any mention made in regard to the company policy or improvements in company policy regarding email from customers.

Will let y'all know if the wait was worth while!

disneydork06
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 04:12
Geoff, that still sucks that you waited since january for these stands. and that he didn't even mention your prior inquiry with them. it's like they're just looking the other way about it...anyways, good to hear you're finally getting them.
and for fun here's a photo :-)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2389520954_a2a45859f4.jpg?v=0

Adam B.
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 09:05
Cute little girl Ryan. I like your choice of bg color!!!

disneydork06
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 10:19
Thank you adam. I was really happy how this purple gel turned out.

macroshooter1970
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 10:55
and for fun here's a photo :-)

have to say i like it, BOUT TIME YOU START TAKING GOOD PHOTOS........Haha just ef'in with you man, nice shot and nice color background. :)

ScottDR
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 11:01
Playing catch-up again...Brendan, LOVE the shot with the background. Awesome stuff!

Ryan, I agree with the others-nice BG color and like how the lighting comes from the right-complimenting how her hair is positioned on her face.

FlyingPhotog
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 11:20
Hi gang...Greetings from the Texas Motor Speedway...

Quickee Note: Tempe Camera is hosting a book signing and mini seminar on April 19 in conjuntion with the release of AZ Highways new SW Photography book.

Details on the Tempe Camera homepage www.tempecamera.biz

Just an FYI...

Larry Conley
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 12:45
Hi gang...Greetings from the Texas Motor Speedway...

Quickee Note: Tempe Camera is hosting a book signing and mini seminar on April 19 in conjuntion with the release of AZ Highways new SW Photography book.

Details on the Tempe Camera homepage www.tempecamera.biz (http://www.tempecamera.biz)

Just an FYI...

Jay, Thanks for the info on the book, I had read that it was soon be be out and I have been wanting a copy.

Texas Motor Speedway....ah..isn't that all of Texas?...*L* Is that in Houston?

FlyingPhotog
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 12:50
TMS is roughly 17mi NW of DFW...

Larry Conley
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 12:58
TMS is roughly 17mi NW of DFW...

Thanks, I hope you have a succesful day at the race !

FlyingPhotog
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 12:59
I hope so too...since I've been trying to fight off a nasty chest cold... *COUGH*

disneydork06
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 22:22
have to say i like it, BOUT TIME YOU START TAKING GOOD PHOTOS........Haha just ef'in with you man, nice shot and nice color background. :)
I know, really :-) thanks for the comments.
Playing catch-up again...Brendan, LOVE the shot with the background. Awesome stuff!

Ryan, I agree with the others-nice BG color and like how the lighting comes from the right-complimenting how her hair is positioned on her face.
thank you.

Hatch1921
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 23:43
I hope everyone is having a fun weekend! A few shots I took on Friday here... other than that....nothing new to report :)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=481397

Hatch

ScottDR
5th of April 2008 (Sat), 23:51
Great shots as usual Frank!!!

FlyingPhotog
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 08:48
I hope everyone is having a fun weekend! A few shots I took on Friday here... other than that....nothing new to report :)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=481397

Hatch

Bee-utiful work Hatch! ;)

Hatch1921
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 09:25
Great shots as usual Frank!!!

Thank you Scott :)

Hatch

Hatch1921
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 09:26
Bee-utiful work Hatch! ;)

Thanks Jay! :)

Hatch

Az2Africa
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 12:41
Woo Hoo. I finally got the new printer up and running!!:D

disneydork06
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 13:39
holy crap, that is a printer....what size is the print that you have there?

macroshooter1970
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 14:49
Woo Hoo. I finally got the new printer up and running!!:D

what is it and how many prints can u get?

Az2Africa
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 14:59
what is it and how many prints can u get?

It's a Canon iPF6100 wide format. It can print up to 24" wide. It uses either roll or flat stock.

macroshooter1970
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 15:01
It's a Canon iPF6100. It can print up to 24" wide. It uses either roll or flat stock.

thanks, sure is a nice looking printer. hope u have lots of fun with it.

Az2Africa
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 18:07
I will. The first lesson is to turn the image the right way so I don't waste paper on the edges!:rolleyes::lol: I can't wait to try some prints on canvas.

JmprSteve
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 22:36
Very Impressive, will you adopt me so I can use it!!!
Congratulations on your set-up, my pc room looks like .... well let's just say, it doesn't look anything like that. I really need to clean it up.

Az2Africa
6th of April 2008 (Sun), 23:28
Now I just need to spend more time learning to shoot as well as you guys.

Adam B.
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 00:15
One picture printed, 8 gallons of ink!!! lol. Nice computer room Terry.

Az2Africa
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 07:33
One picture printed, 8 gallons of ink!!! lol. Nice computer room Terry.

Thanks. Actually it costs about $1.50 a square foot to print on decent paper, but up to $2.50 sq. ft. on fine art canvas. I will use 8"x10" flat stock for test prints. I can get 4 on each sheet until I'm happy with the print and then go ahead with the large print.

AZTBS
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 08:35
I wish my computer room looked so nice! I have a large format printer, but wouldn't dare to post a picture of it. :D Maybe if I spent an evening picking up this mess. Maybe a week..
Your printing costs aren't so bad, considering that a shop like Kinko's charges at least $14 a sq.ft. for heavy coated paper.

AZTBS
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 08:46
For anyone that likes to get up north for camping, the 300 road on the rim is still deep with snow! (and closed) But Stoneman Lake near Flagstaff actually has water again and the weather up there is gorgeous right now.

Here's the lake now:
http://www.projectbat.com/potn/stonemanlake.jpg

Here it was in November of 2002:
http://www.projectbat.com/potn/stonemanlake2002.jpg

macroshooter1970
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 13:19
anything this weekend, not sure if i can get out but heck.......you never know.

Hatch1921
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 17:38
Terry... Steve beat me to the punch... but... if you have room to adopt another son... I'm in! ROFL! Wonderful setup and you shoot better than we do!

On Craig's List Scam...legit... not telling... the price is a little low but not unrealistic.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pho/633853724.html
24-70

Drewaz
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 18:11
I met a couple of visitors from Japan this weekend ... of course they had Canon gear.

Drew

FlyingPhotog
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 18:13
anything this weekend, not sure if i can get out but heck.......you never know.

Wish I could go for a shoot but my day job comes home to roost this weekend with NASCAR at PIR...

Sort of a "Home Game" but I don't live in Avondale... :rolleyes:

But, if anyone wants to play hooky around the middle of next week or early the following week, speak up!! :)

disneydork06
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 21:55
Wish I could go for a shoot but my day job comes home to roost this weekend with NASCAR at PIR...

Sort of a "Home Game" but I don't live in Avondale... :rolleyes:

But, if anyone wants to play hooky around the middle of next week or early the following week, speak up!! :)
too bad it isn't at fir for you to work. so much closer. :-P if you ask about playing hooky in about 5 weeks I totally can :-) graduating in May and moving back home to phx.

Kristy
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 22:08
WOWzA Terry... That's some freaking nice set up you have going on there... The printer looks VERY impressive... I think you should just use it for a conversation piece in your living room... LOL!

So next time we meet up, bring along a canvas so we can see how cool you are! :)

Congrats... looks like you better buy some stock shares in ink and paper.

FlyingPhotog
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 23:51
WOWzA Terry... That's some freaking nice set up you have going on there... The printer looks VERY impressive... I think you should just use it for a conversation piece in your living room... LOL!

Maybe he could use it as dining table that's able to make it's own colorful placemats? :p

I'd love to see how the canvas works out...

FlyingPhotog
7th of April 2008 (Mon), 23:52
too bad it isn't at fir for you to work. so much closer. :-P if you ask about playing hooky in about 5 weeks I totally can :-) graduating in May and moving back home to phx.

Ryan,

I'll keep that in mind. After the second week of July, I'll back in my "hiatus" mode where I can concentrate solely on photography.

Az2Africa
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 07:57
Maybe he could use it as dining table that's able to make it's own colorful placemats? :p

I'd love to see how the canvas works out...

Placemats? No, but it will print food photos on edible paper. But it still tastes like chicken.:lol:

ScottDR
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 08:06
LOL! Mmm...chicken. :) That printer is awesome Terry!!!

xpsentity
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 10:13
I met a couple of visitors from Japan this weekend ... of course they had Canon gear.

Drew

I've been splitting my time between living in Sedona and Phoenix lately. Probably moving up there in May.. well, the Village, not West Sedona.

The tourists already drive me mad. Thankfully they're not nearly as prevalent in the village.

disneydork06
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 12:50
I've been splitting my time between living in Sedona and Phoenix lately. Probably moving up there in May.. well, the Village, not West Sedona.

The tourists already drive me mad. Thankfully they're not nearly as prevalent in the village.
what's in sedona for you?

xpsentity
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 13:42
Besides being one of the most gorgeous places on earth, not being Phoenix, etc.. ;)

disneydork06
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 14:55
lol, yes and yes. I am totally with you. I actually might have a chance to intern at the sedona paper but the job I'm getting in phx would coincide with the days they would want me to work...or actually weekends.

Drewaz
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 19:12

I split time between Phx and West Sedona .... I enjoy breaks up north but also have a new appreciation for living in the city.

Drew

azphotos
8th of April 2008 (Tue), 20:34
Ryan - What a lovely model you have. Nice shot and I like your jelly! :p Stands shipped today - so far just got the teaser that it billed so do not know dly date.

Frank - The bees/flowers are really good. You did a nice job with them.

Terry - Woot! What a clean computer room! I can see that you are going to run out of wall space really quickly! LOL

So does the canvas come on rolls or sheets?

Az2Africa
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:35
I got roll stock, but I think they have sheet also.

Kamrie
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:47
never got a chance to put some of these here :)

hope y'all are having a fantastic day

FlyingPhotog
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:48
I'd be really curious to know how one prints on canvas in sheet form...

How do you keep it spread flat and even? Does it come with some kind of backing?

Kamrie
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:48
these 2 :p

Kamrie
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:49
last one :)

FlyingPhotog
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 00:51
never got a chance to put some of these here :)

hope y'all are having a fantastic day

Very crisp and colorful. #2 is especially nice... Good Job!!

BTW, I fondled a 40D at Tempe Camera today and I may just have to bite the bullet and get one. I just got a $500 check from selling a couple of images to a corporate client so I've got a little spare change...

I was hoping to get away from APS-C (I even traded in my EF-S 10-22mm) but the crop factor at 10Mp (plus 14 bit and Digic III) just migh allow for better enlargements than I seem to get out of my 20D...

Anyone wanna buy a 20D? ;)

Kamrie
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 01:13
Very crisp and colorful. #2 is especially nice... Good Job!!

BTW, I fondled a 40D at Tempe Camera today and I may just have to bite the bullet and get one. I just got a $500 check from selling a couple of images to a corporate client so I've got a little spare change...

I was hoping to get away from APS-C (I even traded in my EF-S 10-22mm) but the crop factor at 10Mp (plus 14 bit and Digic III) just migh allow for better enlargements than I seem to get out of my 20D...

Anyone wanna buy a 20D? ;)

thank ya much :)
[good luck selling the 20D :) ]

JmprSteve
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 01:37
Kamrie,
I like the purplish flower shot, all are colorful but for some reason I'm drawn to the purple.
Thanks for sharing .

disneydork06
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 01:53
Nice shots Kamrie! love the flowers and that moth. so cool.

Kamrie
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 01:58
Nice shots Kamrie! love the flowers and that moth. so cool.

Kamrie,
I like the purplish flower shot, all are colorful but for some reason I'm drawn to the purple.
Thanks for sharing .

Thank you both!! :)

FlyingPhotog
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 17:34
The Collings Foundation "Wings of Freedom" tour comes to the Valley this week:

Scottsdale Airport - April 11-14
Chandler Airport - April 14-16

For those who may not be familiar with the Collings Foundation, they maintain and fly many historic aircraft. The most well known are the three that make up the WoF Tour each year:

Nine O Nine - Boeing B17G Flying Fortress
Witchcraft - Consolidated B24 Liberator
Tondelayo - North American B25 Mitchell

If anyone needs me Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, I'll be a "Ramp Rat" at Chandler...!

Larry Conley
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 21:57

For those who may not be familiar with the Collings Foundation, they maintain and fly many historic aircraft. The most well known are the three that make up the WoF Tour each year:

If anyone needs me Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, I'll be a "Ramp Rat" at Chandler...!

Jay,

I might see you there, if I can free myself from my daily duties!

azphotos
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 22:12

Hmmm- never been inside Scottsdale Air Port - is there a fee to go see the planes?

Rutha73
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 22:16
Wow, nice shots being posted! Hatch, you are making me want a Macro lens, I have been looking at the Sigma 150. Kamrie, nice shots at the butterfly exhibit! I went for about 15 mins, then the kid startted screaming and we left.

On another note, I found these guys under a scrap metal pice at work, I think they are about a month old. Anyone want free kittens? Mr. Keeper of the Kitties? Any more room?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/2401757819_19aba5005f_b.jpg

Adam B.
9th of April 2008 (Wed), 22:36
Sorry no.:cry:

Kristy
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 00:51
On another note, I found these guys under a scrap metal pice at work, I think they are about a month old. Anyone want free kittens? Mr. Keeper of the Kitties? Any more room?

Oh my gosh...... The kittens are ADORABLE.....!! I'm so tempted to pick one up for you. We don't have any furry pets right now... just turtles.... Since the dog has been gone, the girls are really wanting something...

And I love kitties... but I'm allergic to them... but my body would adjust to it after a few months of exposusre.... LOL....

How many are you keeping? I think you should have them all.. what cute photography subjects... and kittens are soooo funny!

Kamrie
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 01:23
Wow, nice shots being posted! Hatch, you are making me want a Macro lens, I have been looking at the Sigma 150. Kamrie, nice shots at the butterfly exhibit! I went for about 15 mins, then the kid startted screaming and we left.

SOOOOO cute! I'm allergic too :( and i already have a fuzzy K9 friend...
Good luck they're adorable

ps. thank you! I know there were a ton of crazy kids there...

Kristy
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 01:26
Oh Kamrie... Pretty shots of the flowers... :) I posted on a thread of yours with the butterfly a week or so ago.. :) Thanks for sharing them. I love shooting flowers... It's stress-free shooting in my mind. NO one is counting on it, and no one cares if I only have 3 keepers (except for me... but I'm very forgiving... LOL). :)

FlyingPhotog
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 01:41
Hmmm- never been inside Scottsdale Air Port - is there a fee to go see the planes?

Usually there's no fee to walk out and look from the outside. It also depends on what security arangements the individual airport has set up. I have a hunch (and it's only that...) that Scottsdale may be more "uptight" about people out on the ramp because of the number of multi-million dollar biz jets parked there. I think Chandler may be more "visitor friendly..."

They get (IIRC) $5 or $10 to tour the inside of the B17 and (I think) the B24.

For only $400+ you can go for a ride. I did in April of '06 and it's definately a once in a lifetime (read: bank balance) experience!

FlyingPhotog
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 01:43

Too cute!! Unfortunately, my wife Kristy and I are already owned by a pair of felines we brought home from the pound a couple of years ago...

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/our_cats

Kamrie
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 01:52
Oh Kamrie... Pretty shots of the flowers... :) I posted on a thread of yours with the butterfly a week or so ago.. :) Thanks for sharing them. I love shooting flowers... It's stress-free shooting in my mind. NO one is counting on it, and no one cares if I only have 3 keepers (except for me... but I'm very forgiving... LOL). :)

lol thanks a bunch kristy... :)
if i didn't thank you on that post, i apologize!
I like flowers too! {they don't move.... 99.9% of the time :p}

disneydork06
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 02:14

ok, I am not much of a cat fan but those are definitely cute kitties. I'm also allergic so I can't help you out there.

Rutha73
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 11:13
How many are you keeping? I think you should have them all.. what cute photography subjects... and kittens are soooo funny!

We cant keep any of them. We have a yellow lab and husky that are ready to eat them. We are also very allergic. My wife really doesn't want to take them to the pound but that is where they might be heading if no one wants any.

She recommends taking the black one if you are going to take one. It's the most active and loves being held. It fell asleep in my wifes arms last night and was purring. Kim wishes she could keep them all! If you want one call me. We deliver!

Cascavel
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 14:06
Congrats on the new additions Rutha. Cute little buggers.

Great flower and butterfly shots Kamrie. BTW great name as well!!

Kristy
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 14:22
Jake, I sent an an e-mail to a few people with your kitty photo.... one person is interested and will let me know tomorrow..... :) They are so stinking cute.... But I'm not sure.... the girls would do back flips if I came home with one.... my last cat lived for 23 years.... So

Kamrie
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 16:37
Congrats on the new additions Rutha. Cute little buggers.

Great flower and butterfly shots Kamrie. BTW great name as well!!
thank you kindly :) Ill tell my mom that you like my name :p

FlyingPhotog
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 21:00
Hey Gang...

Bored out of my mind at PIR right now but wanted to report that I've lost my amateur standing!!!

A while back I mentioned that I was working on closing a deal to sell two images to one of our broadcast industry manufacturers and the deal went through.

They got two images they wanted
I got a check for $500

Hmmm...what to buy, what to buy??

jafrknb
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 21:02
Concratulations... How did you sell them RF or RM?

Larry Conley
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 21:55
Hey Gang...

Bored out of my mind at PIR right now but wanted to report that I've lost my amateur standing!!!

A while back I mentioned that I was working on closing a deal to sell two images to one of our broadcast industry manufacturers and the deal went through.

They got two images they wanted
I got a check for $500

Hmmm...what to buy, what to buy??

CONGRADULATION Jay! Which images did you sell? can you share with us *poor* amatures? *L*

What to buy?...must be a real problem !!

azphotos
10th of April 2008 (Thu), 23:11
Ohhhh, Kitties! Yes, Kristy should take at least two. They are so funny when they play together. :)

The PhotoFlex ProDuty BackDrop Support Kit arrived today. The soft case is well made and designed to hold the two stands and center bar in separate compartments. The case comes with a hand grip, a shoulder strap would have been nice. There is no room in the case for an extra light stand.

The support stands are heavy duty and appear to be quite well made. They seem like winners.

The center pole is telescoping with a total of three sections. The telescoping sections is what drew me to this combination. The promotional material states that there are twist locks on this center section. If the sections are extended all the way, the twist locks engage, sort of but not really. The twist locks do not function at all if collapsed in part or total. Since a twist lock is a simple thing to engineer and manufacture , a simple cam mechanism, I am baffled why this is not implemented in a better fashion. Be that as it may, the tubes appear to have more that enough strength to hold backgrounds.

Az2Africa
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 00:31
Hey Congratulations Jay !! What were the images of?

Geoff. I'm glad the stand is up to spec. Congrats on the new gear. I'd love to see a photo of it all set up.

disneydork06
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 00:57
congrats Jay. two images and you make $500. nice job!

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 01:14
Hey Congratulations Jay !! What were the images of?

One shot was of the audio mixing area in one of our production trucks that happened to also show the speakers that are installed. It was the speaker manufacturer (Tannoy) who wanted to use my stuff for a one-time print run in a press release and then use the images on their website as well.

They also wanted one exterior of the truck to show which mobile production company was using their gear.

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 01:15
congrats Jay. two images and you make $500. nice job!

Thanks Ryan. Nice to get back at least a small percentage of what this bloody wonderful hobby has cost me... :lol:

BTW, in case I didn't comment earlier, your latest round of capstone shots looked really good!

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 01:18
Concratulations... How did you sell them RF or RM?

RM...They get one-time use in print then some web use. If they'd wanted RF, I'd have tacked on at least another zero.

I hope to offer them to other TV gear makers as well who have equipment visible in the shots.

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 01:19
CONGRADULATION Jay! Which images did you sell? can you share with us *poor* amatures? *L*

What to buy?...must be a real problem !!

I'll post the proofs I sent them in the next day or so. Too late to re-edit the originals tonite...

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 01:57
These are the pics I sold:

Like I said, niche photos for a niche market but I had 'em and they wanted 'em so...

The first one sufferes terribly from compression to jpg. The full res TIFF is very sharp and very detailed.

disneydork06
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 02:05
ooh, nice shots. and that is some board in the first. wow.

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 02:14
Here's a couple of quickee grab shots that I got during lunch. Somedays I love my job...

disneydork06
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 10:59
nice shots jay. I haven't seen PIR since I did that autoshow in Motion thing from GM.

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 11:23
Thanks...

I only had like 5 minutes to stand there and get what I could get. They're in focus, that's about the best thing I could hope for since it was only a practice session and there were only about six cars on track at that moment in time.

It was kinda funny... Some guy was shooting from this spot with a silver Rebel and a non-descript lens. When I walked up with my gripped 5D + 70-200, he backed off. Then the pro got there with his MkIII + 300 f/2.8L IS and I backed off.

The photographic food chain at it's best. LOL...

(However, #1 does look mighty tastey at 1920x1200 on my monitor at home...just sayin')

disneydork06
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 12:22
lol, photo food chain...yes, let the person with the bigger equipment through. :-P

FlyingPhotog
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 12:37
lol, photo food chain...yes, let the person with the bigger equipment through. :-P

That and technically with the credential I have, I'm not supposed to be shooting sanctioned NASCAR activities with a still camera. They could really jam me up if someone got really p*ssy about it.

As much as it kills me that "Joe Fan" can walk around shooting all day long but I'm not really allowed, it's probably a good thing that I'm generally doing my TV thing when the track is hot.

Kristy
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 13:43
Hey everybody.... Adam (the younger) and his wife should have a baby in their hands by now! She was inducing on the 10th..... so HEY ADAM!! Where's the Baby Pics?? Come on...! You holding out on us or what? Let's see 'em!! :)

Congrats, and I hope everything went along smoothly for your beautiful wife and baby....

Kristy
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 13:44
Cool shots Jay! I can't believe how much cash a company will fork out for a couple of photos... Cash in the hand is a good thing... whatcha gonna buy?

Kristy
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 13:46
Oh and one more thing... HEY-HEY!! Kristy has a NEW 5D in hand! Woo Hoo! Canon finally stepped up and did the right thing for me... Only took them about 5 months, but hey... The Bill me Later is almost due... and I haven't even had a chance to use the thing.... Time to hustle up some work for the next 3 weeks the payment is due....

Too bad they're still holding my 24-70 for ransom.... I'll be glad when this ordeal is over.....

But did I say... HEY, HEY!! I have a new 5D in my hands?? :p

Adam B.
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 14:54
Congrats Kristy hope this one works out for you!!! Do you know when you'll get your 24-70 back?

Cesarvai
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 15:09
I will shoot Bon Jovi tonight :) Hope is closer than Van Halen :rolleyes:

cesarvai

Kristy
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 15:23
Congrats Kristy hope this one works out for you!!! Do you know when you'll get your 24-70 back?

Nope.... I can tell you that their customer service absolutely SUCKS... (pardon my french...). No one knows anything until the work has been completed, and the people doing the work are unattainable... I've asked 3 times for someone to call me back.... and NOPE, NOPE, NOPE....

I'm switching to NIKON when this is all over with... LOL.... I'm so absolutely freaking disgusted with the entire process...

I still have a 20d/85mm combo that isn't working right.. and I think the 85 is the thing that is front focusing... I have to test it some more this weekend, and make sure... I'm so tired of being worried about whether my gear is up to par and afraid to shoot anything... I'm quitting photography soon....

**sigh**
I will shoot Bon Jovi tonight :) Hope is closer than Van Halen :rolleyes:

cesarvai

Hey Mister... Hatch and his wife will be there... You should look for each other.. :) It should be a fun show

BrianAZ
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 17:09
Congrats Kristy. Sorry to hear about your experience, though. Having gone through that myself, I'd have to agree with the lack of CS from Canon.

azphotos
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 20:33
Geoff. I'm glad the stand is up to spec. Congrats on the new gear. I'd love to see a photo of it all set up.

Thanks Terry. Will try to get a shot in the next week or so. I did contact PhotoFlex about twist lock not working, but they have not gotten back to me.

And someone else got some new gear too! Congrats Kristi! My hope that this one will work out!

ScottDR
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 21:06
Jay-great shots! Glad you got a couple sold as well (and as others have stated-that IS one hellova board!). How did that company come across your photo's? Did you approache them? Had to ask.

Kristy-I'm glad they finally replaced the 5d for you. It is about time. Sadly, I think customer service is seriously lacking in all industries and I doubt Nikon would be much better. Please don't give up photography, you have a terrific eye.

I'm feeling the need, the need for a group outing again soon. :)

macroshooter1970
11th of April 2008 (Fri), 21:34
Oh and one more thing... HEY-HEY!! Kristy has a NEW 5D in hand! Woo Hoo! Canon finally stepped up and did the right thing for me... Only took them about 5 months, but hey... The Bill me Later is almost due... and I haven't even had a chance to use the thing.... Time to hustle up some work for the next 3 weeks the payment is due....

Too bad they're still holding my 24-70 for ransom.... I'll be glad when this ordeal is over.....

But did I say... HEY, HEY!! I have a new 5D in my hands?? :p

bout time they hooked you up.