PDA

View Full Version : Arizona POTN get together?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68

jbdavies
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 01:31
I love the last two shots Joe! Very touching too. You did an outstanding job capturing the moment. :)

FlyingPhotog
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 01:34
I tried posting these the other night but had no luck. So here goes again.

Very moving scene...

Wishing to go shoot this myself was my only regret while flying out to go to Denver on 9/11.

I like #3 and #4 very much. In fact, 3 is about as good a shot as I've seen from any other source. The slight desaturation is very effective.

What program did you use to assemble the panos in 1 and 2?

disneydork06
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 01:54
Blue-J...thanks for making me miss riding as well :-P

Joe, nice shots of the flags. love the third as well...all I could think about was that would have been a great photo to do from a low perspective and glad you got one. wish I knew about it then I would have gone out there myself.

joeb1
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 02:29
Very moving scene...

What program did you use to assemble the panos in 1 and 2?

I used AutoStitch. It's FREE.

I love the last two shots Joe! Very touching too. You did an outstanding job capturing the moment. :)

Thank you.

Joe, nice shots of the flags. love the third as well...all I could think about was that would have been a great photo to do from a low perspective and glad you got one. wish I knew about it then I would have gone out there myself.

I was there from around 2:45 PM til about 9:30 PM.

Long day but well worth it.

I met a few fellow retired New Yorkers i knew there.

FlyingPhotog
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 02:38
Another J? Oh this won't do at all... <j/k> Welcome!

Great, beautiful photos, Jay. Hoping I get at least a good here.

Thanks! I owe all my skill to my AZ friends at POTN! ;)

I was out an about this weekend on my bike. Had my photo taken with camera, with Morenci Mine in the back ground:

Gawd those mines are big *ss holes in the ground, eh?

1) Not much you can do to work around the haze and high sky when you're out at mid day. Good shot but hard for the uninitiated to know for sure what's behind you... PS...Don't back up! :)

2 and 3) Both need a touch of horizon straightening and I bet if you tweaked the contrast and saturation levels, they'd really pop.

There's a lot of hidden detail and color in these open pit mines:
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/55300562.jpg
Silverbell Mine NW of Tucson

disneydork06
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 17:36
nice air to ground shot...mine are never that clear from the airplanes windows :-)

FlyingPhotog
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 17:44
nice air to ground shot...mine are never that clear from the airplanes windows :-)

I had the advantage of:
1) Being at only 8500'
2) Flying relatively slowly
3) Being at the controls

;)

Az2Africa
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 21:57
Anyone watching for the new 5D release in the next few hours? I definately will get one as soon as it's released and give the other one a rest. Think we can get a group discount?;)

BrianAZ
16th of September 2008 (Tue), 22:18
I think my wallet needs a rest. Would be nice to finally see the new 5 double D (aka 5D mk II).

Hatch1921
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:04
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

Not sure if I would have a need to upgrade... the movie feature... doesn't do anything for me... 21 mpx... would I need the extra mpx? Nope... maybe it will resolve like the MK3 1ds... I like the 3" screen... expanded ISO...bonus! But... if Canon didn't improve upon the auto focus tracking... it would be a shame. Looks like a great camera...

Need to go back and read the features... can you micro adjust for front/back focus on your lenses?

Still dig my 5D... :) Maybe when the wedding/portrait folks start posting shots... I will get excited. :)

jbdavies
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:09
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091705canon_5dmarkII.asp

Sigh... anyone want to order me one? lol ;)

Rutha73
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:24
wow, great pics everyone! the 911 pics are awesome Joe! i really like the low perspective one! the last one make it feel personal, even though I was on the other side of the country, way to capture emotion. those pics of the mine are cool also, they don't do the mine justice though, it is so much bigger than it looks. I did some work out there in Morenci for a while for a carpenter fixing houses up. and Jeremy, why are you moving to Morenci? are you going to work for Phelps Dodge? the locals I talked to said the most exciting thing to do out there is fight pitts. I didn't like staying out there for the work week, but thats just me. Randy Those shots from Zuni are ecxellent, I especially like the 2nd, i think its the composition!

Hatch1921
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:26
The Canon EOS 5D is slated to ship towards the end of November 2008 at an expected street price of US$2699 in the U.S.

More info
http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9603

Looking better .... the only complaint I have with the current 5D...AF tracking....

Looks like the 5DII will improve...

The Assist AF points are arranged in two lines of three just above and just below the centre AF point and are invisible to the photographer (in fact, they can't be manually chosen). With the centre AF point active and AI Servo dialed in, these six additional points clustered within the spot metering circle work in conjunction with the centre AF point to improve subject tracking performance, much like a similar option in earlier 1-series cameras does for certain sports with lots of erratic movement. Two of Assist AF points are cross-type with f/2.8 or faster lenses.

jbdavies
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:30
...and Jeremy, why are you moving to Morenci? are you going to work for Phelps Dodge? the locals I talked to said the most exciting thing to do out there is fight pitts. I didn't like staying out there for the work week, but thats just me...

Yeah... I'm hoping to get a Surveying job down there. :) And I don't think I'd have a problem staying down there at all. Coming from a small town, doesn't really make a difference going to another small town. Plus, I have family down there too, so that would help.

disneydork06
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 01:46
whoa....when did they announce a 5dmk2? eh, I'm happy with my mk2. but if only it was the "N"...or a mk3...eh, so how is everyone doing?

FlyingPhotog
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 01:56
Anyone watching for the new 5D release in the next few hours? I definately will get one as soon as it's released and give the other one a rest. Think we can get a group discount?;)

Hey Terry...

I'm curious but based on the angst of the MkIII, I'm gonna reserve judgement for a while.

I've never been what I'd call an "early adopter" but I'm definately not gonna jump on this like it's the second coming...

Jay

joeb1
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 03:12
wow, great pics everyone! the 911 pics are awesome Joe! i really like the low perspective one! the last one make it feel personal, even though I was on the other side of the country, way to capture emotion.

Thanks. I was not in N.Y. at the time but knew some people.

The emotion at the Tempe event was very real. They had a South Tower survivor speak. It's not easy shooting through leaky eyes.

I WILL be in Tempe next year also.

disneydork06
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:49
Thanks. I was not in N.Y. at the time but knew some people.

The emotion at the Tempe event was very real. They had a South Tower survivor speak. It's not easy shooting through leaky eyes.

I WILL be in Tempe next year also.
it's never easy...on a lighter note I had friends do the same thing but they were watching a guy propose to his g/f while at the magic kingdom...for some reason puts tears in womens eyes to see such a thing...

disneydork06
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 15:52
hello friends!
anyone know of a nice location around town that will have the trees leaves changes colors? heard the news saying triple digits are gonna be gone soon. so I guess it's time to get ready for fall.

jbdavies
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:33
hello friends!
anyone know of a nice location around town that will have the trees leaves changes colors? heard the news saying triple digits are gonna be gone soon. so I guess it's time to get ready for fall.
The Zoo?

JmprSteve
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:56
other than the zoo and the botanical garden Are there any trees in the Phoenix area?

FlyingPhotog
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:35
hello friends!

I'm thinking Sedona might be the closest good place to see fall colors...

Maybe along the West Fork trails?

Hatch1921
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:36

Can we drag a model up there? :) Would be great to have some fall shots.... :)

Jay... are you picking up the 5DII?

ToferPhotography
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 18:56
other than the zoo and the botanical garden Are there any trees in the Phoenix area?

Palm trees!! ... oh wait they don't change ;)

FlyingPhotog
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 19:04

Jay... are you picking up the 5DII?

Probably not right off the bat. Short of moving to a 1DsMkII or a 1DMkIII, I'm actually a bit more interested in seeing what the 15Mp of the 50D looks like over the 10Mp of the 40D.
Of course, a 300mm f/2.8L IS is also on my short list so I'm being pulled in several directions right now with no cash to jump. 3+ weeks of MLB Playoffs next month will help that though! :)

I have to admit though that after watching all eight sample flash-converted video clips from the 5DMkII, I'm intrigued.

The one in particular that really made me sit up and say wow was the one with the young lady shot at night with an 85mm f/1.2L. The bokeh behind her is just totally cinematic in nature. Really quite amazing. Imagine the portfolio you could put together for a model using stills intercut with clips of moving video that feature the exact same exposure and DOF as the still? Kinda boggles the mind...

hgsfrmme2u
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:40
Anyone ever been to Pizzeria Bianco downtown? My bro wants to check it out when he comes to visit because it's supposed to be the best.
Any comments appreciated.

Sorry it has nothing to do with photography but I didn't know who else to ask ;)

macroshooter1970
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:47
one thing i miss when living in chicago was pizza, arizona pizza is boring. sorry i never tried that place, let us know how it is. there must be hope

Rutha73
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 22:15
Oregenos thin crust is the best pizza in town! (although I haven't tried Pizzario Bianco)

Az2Africa
17th of September 2008 (Wed), 23:18
Hey Terry...

I'm curious but based on the angst of the MkIII, I'm gonna reserve judgement for a while.

I've never been what I'd call an "early adopter" but I'm definately not gonna jump on this like it's the second coming...

Jay

As I mentioned in another thread, 21mp will allow better crops. I need IQ not speed. As for the video, I love it. There are a lot of times while shooting in Africa that some great action started and I wish I had caught it on video. So I had planned on buying a video camera anyway. This saves me the trouble. I'll use the money saved to buy the wireless grip.
All that said, I think it will be great in the studio and for landscapes. I may sell my 40D and keep my other 5D.
Technically though it is the "second coming". Of the 5D anyway.;)

disneydork06
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 00:33

oooh, sounds like a good road trip is in order for that.

that would be fun as well!
Anyone ever been to Pizzeria Bianco downtown? My bro wants to check it out when he comes to visit because it's supposed to be the best.
Any comments appreciated.

Sorry it has nothing to do with photography but I didn't know who else to ask ;)
I work kinda near downtown...maybe I will try and make it there for some "good pizza"
Oregenos thin crust is the best pizza in town! (although I haven't tried Pizzario Bianco)
oreganos is soo good! mmm, pizza cookie (pazookie)

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 05:36
Behold: Really bad Photoshop work...

Ok, shred this and tell me why I can't get a good overall balance. I think there's a lack of contrast in the mountains (they look too faded) while the sky is too dark and ominous:
Two images, blended with layers/mattes...

http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103297519/original.jpg

disneydork06
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 06:02
wow, amazing photo...don't know what you're talking about bad work...I swear I'm just yawning and closing my eyes for fun. I can see straight this late at night....:-) very colorful

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 06:05
wow, amazing photo...don't know what you're talking about bad work...I swear I'm just yawning and closing my eyes for fun. I can see straight this late at night....:-) very colorful

Thanks... I dunno, there's something about it that just doesn't feel right...

Ah well, that's what layers are for. Don't like it? Drag it to the trash and start over.

BTW, New Denver Zoo Gallery at: http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/denver_zoo

Helluva Zoo. If anyone goes up to Colorado it's well worth a visit...

azpix
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 09:47
Behold: Really bad Photoshop work...

Ok, shred this and tell me why I can't get a good overall balance. I think there's a lack of contrast in the mountains (they look too faded) while the sky is too dark and ominous:
Two images, blended with layers/mattes...

i get what you're saying about balance. the sky and foreground look much brighter than the mountains. maybe boosting the brightness/exposure of the mountains would help. .

Kristy
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 11:10
It's not bad at all.. don't be so hard on yourself.
I think the sky may be a little overexposed and so some of the color gets lost. Edit to add... I think the sky should be dark and ominous.

So... quick edit.. curves adjustment to darken things down, but masked off the mountains, except for the bright ones.

Then added contrast using USM around 18-50-0 or something like that (I forgot..)
Bumped the contrast and reduced the yellows down a little bit.

Selective burning of shadow, mid, highlight on the mountains to bring them out some....
and on the water just because I could... lol.

and added more black through selective color, black channel, black + about 3.

It's way over saturated now... but it has a little extra pop.. maybe too much but at least it gives you an idea of where you might land in between...

The reduced web size doesn't look as good as what's on my screen... but Cie la Vie...

or maybe just USM for contrast and the burning of the shadows?? No curves..... #2

Or Neither.....

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 13:42
It's not bad at all.. don't be so hard on yourself.
I think the sky may be a little overexposed and so some of the color gets lost. Edit to add... I think the sky should be dark and ominous.

So... quick edit.. curves adjustment to darken things down, but masked off the mountains, except for the bright ones.

Then added contrast using USM around 18-50-0 or something like that (I forgot..)
Bumped the contrast and reduced the yellows down a little bit.

Selective burning of shadow, mid, highlight on the mountains to bring them out some....
and on the water just because I could... lol.

and added more black through selective color, black channel, black + about 3.

It's way over saturated now... but it has a little extra pop.. maybe too much but at least it gives you an idea of where you might land in between...

The reduced web size doesn't look as good as what's on my screen... but Cie la Vie...

or maybe just USM for contrast and the burning of the shadows?? No curves..... #2

Or Neither.....

I see where you're going...thanks.

Standing there, it just wasn't as "dense" as it seems to want to go. You could clearly see details in the pines on the hills at left and right, the grass had a nice sheen to it and the mountains (while somewhat hazy) weren't just marching into oblivion.

FWIW, this is 1 shot tweaked only LR2 (I may actually like this better even if it still doesn't quite "get it." Maybe it wil allow me to make a case to get a 5DMkII ? LOL...)
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103309575/original.jpg

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 19:45
Jay, beautiful shot... no matter what you say. :) And I love your zoo shots too! :)

Sooo... I've kinda got a question for all the valley people. :)

I will be down there this Saturday and want to take a little hike. Nothing strenuous or really long. Just a nice mild 2-4 mile hike and preferably with water at the end to go swimming, but that's not a must. And, if it's in the West valley that's fine with me too.

Then... are there any places somewhat close to the valley that would be good for Star pictures? So pretty much no interference from the valley lights. And it would be nice if this place was close to the hiking place. lol I'm going to be going hiking, coming into town and eating, then going back out (not hiking) to do the star stuff. :)

Thanks!! :)

macroshooter1970
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 20:38
hike the peralta trail in the superstitions and wait till the sun goes down. just a thought

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/johnskowronek/peralta/Peralta.html

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:20
hike the peralta trail in the superstitions and wait till the sun goes down. just a thought

How's the Peralta for coming back down in the dark?

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:34
Really really quick. :D

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:35

That looks like a pretty nice hike. I'll have to check that out. :) Thanks!

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:35

I'm kinda hoping that would be optional...

(Smart *ss...) :p

Hatch1921
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:42
Anyone interested in a Sigma 180mm macro and Sigma 1.4x TC? I haven't shot macro all year and for some crazy reason... I'm shooting more people... if bugs could only write checks I would stick to the bugs. LOL

Looking to pick up the 135L (Randy...no comments about yours...still jealous!!! ROFL) Just tossing the idea out there...

Guerry... I still have the bracket if you are interested...

Jay... nice shot. I didn't do much to the shot... increased the greens on the grass to try and lead the eye from the bottom of the shot to the top...added a slight curves adjustment... duplicated the layer and changed to screen.... masked everything but the left mountain... tried to bring it out of the shadows a little... pretty cool shot!

Hatch

http://www.azproimage.com/webphotos/jay2.jpg

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:45
I'm kinda hoping that would be optional...

(Smart *ss...) :p

:rolleyes: Where's the adventure in that. ;)

I have a headlamp thing plus a couple Mini-Mags that I can take just in case.

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:07
Sooo... I was bored... and we all know what happens when I get bored. I do things... that usually get me in trouble. ;)

Arizona's POTN Group (http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27729503143)

Now (if you want to join... which I know you want to because I put SOO much work into this ;) ) all you need to do is create a Facebook account so you can join. :)

FlyingPhotog
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:22
Sooo... I was bored... and we all know what happens when I get bored. I do things... that usually get me in trouble. ;)

Now (if you want to join... which I know you want to because I put SOO much work into this ;) ) all you need to do is create a Facebook account so you can join. :)

Jeremy, you know I love you like the brother I never wanted...

But I plan to be the last person on Earth without a Facebook/My Space account.

<Kinda Just Kidding...>

My darling bride started a page and also joined LinkedIn and all she does is bitch about hearing from people she never liked in HS, College, etc...

I'm leaving the lid on that Pandora's Box for now.

A for effort though! ;)

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:25

<Kinda Just Kidding...>

My darling bride started a page and also joined LinkedIn and all she does is bitch about hearing from people she never liked in HS, College, etc...

A for effort though! ;)

:cry:

lol... Man you're old. :lol:;)

No, that's fine. I guess you just won't be able to be a part of all the nifty contests and prizes and such. ;)

BrianAZ
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:29

<Kinda Just Kidding...>

A for effort though! ;)

You and me both.

jbdavies
18th of September 2008 (Thu), 23:48
Jay, beautiful shot... no matter what you say. :) And I love your zoo shots too! :)

Sooo... I've kinda got a question for all the valley people. :)

I will be down there this Saturday and want to take a little hike. Nothing strenuous or really long. Just a nice mild 2-4 mile hike and preferably with water at the end to go swimming, but that's not a must. And, if it's in the West valley that's fine with me too.

Then... are there any places somewhat close to the valley that would be good for Star pictures? So pretty much no interference from the valley lights. And it would be nice if this place was close to the hiking place. lol I'm going to be going hiking, coming into town and eating, then going back out (not hiking) to do the star stuff. :)

Soo... it turns out that farther West is actually better. Like no farther East than... the 101? And that MIGHT be pushing it. lol This is turning out to be more of a chore that I thought....:confused:

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 00:46
Soo... it turns out that farther West is actually better. Like no farther East than... the 101? And that MIGHT be pushing it. lol This is turning out to be more of a chore that I thought....:confused:
which side of the 101...? kinda makes a shoe horn around the valley...

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:21
which side of the 101...? kinda makes a shoe horn around the valley...
Uhhh... good point. lol Hmmm... well I'm actually thinking about changing my plans. Has anyone gone to the lakes north of the valley like Lake Pleasant? It would probably be pretty busy though, huh?

FlyingPhotog
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:24
Uhhh... good point. lol Hmmm... well I'm actually thinking about changing my plans. Has anyone gone to the lakes north of the valley like Lake Pleasant? It would probably be pretty busy though, huh?

On any weekend, Pleasant can be a zoo...

On what may be the first weekend under 100? Fuggedaboudit...

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:27

Damn... :(

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:50

do you really want it to be that quiet? anyways, i haven't gone since....mid 90s when my parents had a boat. wish I could go to the lake for once...got a vball tourny and a wedding to second shoot at for saturday.

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:51
do you really want it to be that quiet? anyways, i haven't gone since....mid 90s when my parents had a boat. wish I could go to the lake for once...got a vball tourny and a wedding to second shoot at for saturday.
Well... I'm kinda anti-social... and I don't like lots of people. Specially when it's a bunch of drunk people around water. I'm not up on my CPR... so I'd probably just point a laugh....

FlyingPhotog
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:05
Would those of you who'd care to keep in touch please drop me an email (and not a PM...)

I've had a belly full of the bull**** on POTN for now and I'm outta here for a while (maybe for good if a Mod reads this...)

I'm truly sorry if anyone has had real technical difficulties with their gear but I'm really Goddamn tired of the Pixel Peeping, the arguments over HDR, all the MkIII crap and this 5DMkII thing has just screwed up people's minds.

I'm gonna go make photographs for a while. New stuff will be appearing regularly on my PBase and/or Zenfolio accounts.

I value the friendships I've made here over the last year and I'd meet up with any or all of you anytime. The signal to noise ratio is totally out of control right now and I need to stop wading through the nonsense.

Jeremy, that Facebook thing may be a good idea after all...

Jay

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:08
Would those of you who'd care to keep in touch please drop me an email (and not a PM...)

I've had a belly full of the bull**** on POTN for now and I'm outta here for a while (maybe for good if a Mod reads this...)

I'm truly sorry if anyone has had real technical difficulties with their gear but I'm really Goddamn tired of the Pixel Peeping, the arguments over HDR, all the MkIII crap and this 5DMkII thing has just screwed up people's minds.

I'm gonna go make photographs for a while. New stuff will be appearing regularly on my PBase and/or Zenfolio accounts.

I value the friendships I've made here over the last year and I'd meet up with any or all of you anytime. The signal to noise ratio is totally out of control right now and I need to stop wading through the nonsense.

Jay
:( I'm so sorry to hear that Jay! Hopefully you don't leave for ever. Looks like I'm going to have to bookmark you sites anyways... I mean, move them up in my bookmarks. ;)

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:15

Just in..... I didn't read up on everything so excuse my lack of knowledge on current events....

However... I know first hand that you can go to Lake Pleasant... and it will not be a zoo. It's too late in the season for that.

They have several hiking trails, and if you steer clear of a place called "Humbug Cove" you don't have to worry about drunken boaters.. it's a little nook-cove on the lake, and not easily accesible by land. (at least I don't think so). You can visit the ranger's area for hiking maps, and etc. My family has enjoyed a few small hikes while camping in the cooler months... but usually we are on the boat (which we just sold... :( )

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:16
Just in..... I didn't read up on everything so excuse my lack of knowledge on current events....

However... I know first hand that you can go to Lake Pleasant... and it will not be a zoo. It's too late in the season for that.

They have several hiking trails, and if you steer clear of a place called "Humbug Cove" you don't have to worry about drunken boaters.. it's a little nook-cove on the lake, and not easily accesible by land. (at least I don't think so). You can visit the ranger's area for hiking maps, and etc. My family has enjoyed a few small hikes while camping in the cooler months... but usually we are on the boat (which we just sold... :( )
Yay! Really?! So there is hope after all?! lol Thanks for the wonderful info Kristy. :)

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:18

Jay

Yikes!!! Serious? How about you just hang in our little corner and forget the rest of the place until you're feeling better about life... avoid those threads that rub you the wrong way mister....

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:19
Yay! Really?! So there is hope after all?! lol Thanks for the wonderful info Kristy. :)

Yep.. :) You can go there. The area is pretty big, and I don't think you'll have any problems finding a nice place to hike around... Let me look up something for you. I've always wanted to check it out, but never have time.. I'm out to my file cabinet... be back in a few.

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:19

Jay
well that sucks for us. just reading your thing made me think of reminding you of facebook but looks like you already did that. anyways, well definitely be bookmarking your sites too...oh wait, um what Jeremy said :-)

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:39
Sorry Jeremy. I can't find what I was looking for... there is an old plantation/resort place out there near the lake somewhere.. It used to be a working resort for affluent people, but for some reason, it shut down. I saw a picture if it in the AZ Republic months or even a year ago, and though it would be a fun place to hike around and check out. I thought I saved the paper, but it's not in my "Things to Do" folder so I have no idea where I saved it..... :( Could have been an interesting hike.

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:42
Sorry Jeremy. I can't find what I was looking for... there is an old plantation/resort place out there near the lake somewhere.. It used to be a working resort for affluent people, but for some reason, it shut down. I saw a picture if it in the AZ Republic months or even a year ago, and though it would be a fun place to hike around and check out. I thought I saved the paper, but it's not in my "Things to Do" folder so I have no idea where I saved it..... :( Could have been an interesting hike.
Oh, well that's ok. I've been looking at the parks website and there are a couple easy looking hikes around the lake that we could do... so we'll see. :) Thank you very much for the wonderful information though. ;)

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 08:36
just sharing a picture, I think it was with 300mm 2.8 and a tc

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 08:41

it's fine as long as your not scared and have a good light.

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 08:42

sorry been out having a good time.

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 08:44
That looks like a pretty nice hike. I'll have to check that out. :) Thanks!

it's really nice, hiked it many times. hope you like it if you do it.

ToferPhotography
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 10:30

Jay

Don't leave us Jay!! I don't care what forum it is.. this always happens and as tough as it could be... just let is slide off ya and hope you stick with us!

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:15

Jay

don't let everyone run you off, just ignore the garbage, it's not that hard. just hang out here and let the rest of the forum cry about what ever they want. your choice, good luck.

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:19
just sharing a picture, I think it was with 300mm 2.8 and a tchis camera lives! :-) nice shot. thanks for sharing

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:24
his camera lives! :-) nice shot. thanks for sharing

yes sir, need to get out more now since I won't be working like everyday of the week it seems like.

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:26

So... .how long you gonna be here? Are you coming mainly to go and eat, and squeezing a hike and star shoot in between?

Kristy
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:26

Looks great! I love the DOF with that lens.. the BG just so soft and buttery. :)

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:30
yes sir, need to get out more now since I won't be working like everyday of the week it seems like.
definitely. can't wait to see more pics :-)

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 12:45

Awesome shot Mike! Just wonderful. :)

So... .how long you gonna be here? Are you coming mainly to go and eat, and squeezing a hike and star shoot in between?

Ummm... well, I think I'm gonna head down around noon. Meet a friend. Do the hike. Eat. Star stuff. Head home that night.

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 13:43

............ :D

hgsfrmme2u
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 14:02
I just requested to join your little group on facebook. I don't say much on here but check in on what's going on a few times a day. I love seeing everyones pictures and hope I get some post worthy ones some day ;)

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 14:03
I just requested to join your little group on facebook. I don't say much on here but check in on what's going on a few times a day. I love seeing everyones pictures and hope I get some post worthy ones some day ;)
Accepted. :) The best way to learn is to post and let us talk about it. ;)

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 14:37
Hey, we're all in a learning process...even hatch (not really)

Rutha73
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 15:57
Jay! don't leave us! just stick to this thread and forget about the naysayers!
Mike, I like that shot! is it a young turkey vulture?
Here is a quick one from Delaney's first birthday party, we gave her a cupcake with chocolate frosting and let her figure out what to do with it!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2871123322_e7f4a5c5dd.jpg

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 16:16
LOL! Jake! Awesome picture. I would have taken that with a 300 if I were there... no way am I getting near that mess. lol

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 16:17
Here is a quick one from Delaney's first birthday party, we gave her a cupcake with chocolate frosting and let her figure out what to do with it!

look at that mess someone has to clean up :).........you know, I'm not sure what it is, I just pull the trigger and shoot. I don't even know the names of flowers, cacti, lizards or anything :eek:

Rutha73
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 16:28
look at that mess someone has to clean up :).........you know, I'm not sure what it is, I just pull the trigger and shoot. I don't even know the names of flowers, cacti, lizards or anything :eek:

I so that with bugs, then i post them in the macro foum with the wrong name and I have an answer almost immediately. try putting that guy in the bird forum with a title like "some kind of vulture...i think" and you will probably have an ID in a few mins. If it was shot wild around here I would say it is a juvenile turkey vulture though.

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 17:09
Looks great! I love the DOF with that lens.. the BG just so soft and buttery. :)

thanks. christmas will be here soon, has Kristy been a good girl :)

disneydork06
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 19:14
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2871123322_e7f4a5c5dd.jpgvery nice! my buddies little girl also had her first just recently. did the same thing but gave her a little bit bigger than a cupcake for her cake and she had some messy fun...with grandpas help :-P all I had was my 17-40 so I was quite close to the "action".

hgsfrmme2u
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 19:32

Love it! My little girl's first birthday was Aug. 26th. She HATED the cake. I went out of the way to get her one just for her to destroy and she barely touched the thing. My son destroyed his on his birthday. He had it everywhere. Kids really can be total opposites.

Crewzer
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 20:32
Any local events coming up?

Crewzer
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 20:40
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg223/CrewzFotos/Boyce%20Thompson%20March%202008/BTA%20021408/IMG_0327crp_sm.jpg

Something I shot at Boyce Thompson.

jbdavies
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 20:49
Hey! Pretty interesting shot. Have you played around with different options for this? Like sepia, B&W, or whatever? I'm sure there's something that you could do to just put it over the top... I don't know what it is... cause I'm not that creative. lol

Cool shot anyways. :)

Crewzer
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 20:56
Thought of that, didn't want to loose the color of the barb wire though. I guess I could leave it in color and make the rest BW. Thanks

john69az
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 22:21
Hey Check out the 5D Mark 2 It shoots Hi Def Video.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662

Hatch1921
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 22:56
Hey, we're all in a learning process...even hatch (not really)

Yes... I'm learning as well! :)

Nice shots all... looks like someone enjoyed her first B-day. :D

We had a few messy eaters this afternoon...

Raising money for our Christmas party... we had a squadron BBQ... good times!

More shots on Flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/hatch1921/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2871031693_5f766034ec_o.jpg

ToferPhotography
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 23:23
NICE!!

macroshooter1970
19th of September 2008 (Fri), 23:46
nothing like a little pie on your face

jbdavies
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 01:28
HAHA! Nice one Hatch!

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 10:44
NICE!!

nothing like a little pie on your face

HAHA! Nice one Hatch!

Many thanks all :)

Hatch

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 11:36
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2871032093_a0414dc3da_o.jpg

Rutha73
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 14:51
HA HA HA!!! Those are some great action shots Hatch! I love how you froze the splattering pies! Looks like a fun time!

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:11
HA HA HA!!! Those are some great action shots Hatch! I love how you froze the splattering pies! Looks like a fun time!

Many thanks Jake! :) It was a fun time....

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:12
Just posted the Sigma :(

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6347012#post6347012

PM me if you are interested... :)
Hatch

jbdavies
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:23
Just posted the Sigma :(

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6347012#post6347012

PM me if you are interested... :)
Hatch
Wow! You even do magnificent work when trying to sell something! ;) Those are some nice shots. lol

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:30
Wow! You even do magnificent work when trying to sell something! ;) Those are some nice shots. lol

LOL Far too kind... just trying to give the user something to look at... hope it sales... Look out 135L!!! (Randy...no comments please...still jealous! ROFL)

Hatch

jbdavies
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:32
I see that you removed "rookie" from your sig though. ;) lol

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:40
I see that you removed "rookie" from your sig though. ;) lol

ROFL! I was wondering if anyone would notice. Still a rookie... lots to learn and do. :D

jbdavies
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:41
I think I noticed it a week or so ago... but I guess we're all rookies, right? You're just an advanced rookie. ;)

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 15:48
I think I noticed it a week or so ago... but I guess we're all rookies, right? You're just an advanced rookie. ;)

Only slightly advanced. :) Yes... we all are "rookies" and we all have something learn about photography... even the "Pro's" are always learning. This is why I really enjoy shooting...

Hatch

disneydork06
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 17:00
finally hatch! Rookie my in derrier...anyways wish I could afford more gear. But I did get a stofen omni-bounce for my 580. Can't wait to see how it affects my pics today at a wedding. Hope everyone has a great day.

Rutha73
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 17:33
do you do a custom white bal? it seems like my sotfen makes my pix come out with a yellow tint, or is there something else i can do to correct that?

Hatch1921
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 18:18
finally hatch! Rookie my in derrier...anyways wish I could afford more gear. But I did get a stofen omni-bounce for my 580. Can't wait to see how it affects my pics today at a wedding. Hope everyone has a great day. LOL Still much to learn... I like the stoffen but forget to use it...

do you do a custom white bal? it seems like my sotfen makes my pix come out with a yellow tint, or is there something else i can do to correct that?

Yes... http://www.photovisionvideo.com/store/shop.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=DCT

Snap a shot... set a custom white balance... or when you edit... use the target photo and set your white balance. You have to snap a new target shot each time the lighting changes...

Or a Whibal http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/472226-REG/WhiBal_WB6SK_G6_Pocket_White_Balance.html

I still forget to use these things... for the Sigma shots today... I used the target... really helps!

Hatch

macroshooter1970
20th of September 2008 (Sat), 19:07

yellow huh :( I've always corrected in photoshop no problems.

Hatch1921
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 00:14
A shot revisited... trying to come up with a nice looking HDR image. This one is decent but it really isn't good enough to print large. The web version looks nice... still needs work.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2874656760_2548e19ea9_o.jpg

macroshooter1970
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 00:29
A shot revisited... trying to come up with a nice looking HDR image. This one is decent but it really isn't good enough to print large. The web version looks nice... still needs work.

i'm sure when you work out the bugs, it will be print ready. looks like a nice picture developing

disneydork06
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 02:20
maybe cause it's softer light that it reads a flash white balance but yet the ambient light takes over the color so the wb is offsetted? ....but I guess then the pics would be more blue? idk...just a thought. can't think too well...tired.

Kristy
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 02:23
I've been up to my ears in nail polish, glitter spray and sparkles.... a day in the life of the mother of 2 girly girls....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=572209

Cool Pie shots Hatch... and I can't believe you are selling the Siggy..... !! Wow! No chance of me getting your 100mm macro anytime soon then... :(

Hey Ceasar... were are ya? I was wondering how the 15th birthday went.. I'd try to spell quinceta.. but I don't know how... LOL....

Ryan let's see those wedding pics... I have a stoffen, but I use the "Better Bounce Card" most often... with the foam paper... lol...

Hey Jeremy... how was your hiking trip? ANy pics?

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 03:54
I've been up to my ears in nail polish, glitter spray and sparkles.... a day in the life of the mother of 2 girly girls....

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=572209

Cool Pie shots Hatch... and I can't believe you are selling the Siggy..... !! Wow! No chance of me getting your 100mm macro anytime soon then... :(

Hey Ceasar... were are ya? I was wondering how the 15th birthday went.. I'd try to spell quinceta.. but I don't know how... LOL....

Ryan let's see those wedding pics... I have a stoffen, but I use the "Better Bounce Card" most often... with the foam paper... lol...

Hey Jeremy... how was your hiking trip? ANy pics?
I like the last shot best Kristy. :) Like the feel to it.

Annnnnddd.... it was pretty good I guess. Ended up going to South Mountain park instead. And no real good pics. So yeah... lol

disneydork06
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 04:44
Id post pics but I kinda need permission first. Well actually I possibly coulD right now but a bit tired and I'm crashing as soon as I get home.

macroshooter1970
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 09:44
Id post pics but I kinda need permission first. Well actually I possibly coulD right now but a bit tired and I'm crashing as soon as I get home.

we all grant you permission....DO IT DO IT DO IT :)

Guerry Dalrymple
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 15:31
Just got in from Gilbert Water Ranch. Way too hot ou there and mot of the ponds were dry or very low. :mad: Probably only got a dozen picturess and probably no good ones.

How did you do Terry?

disneydork06
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 16:28
we all grant you permission....DO IT DO IT DO IT :)maybe....give me some time to look at the photos and do some edits cause no one wants to see my stuff ooc :-)

Guerry Dalrymple
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 17:39
Here are some shots from this morning at Gilbert Water Ranch. Not much to choose from and nothing reaqlly in range, except Nancy shooting me.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/IMG_1440Nqancy-for-Web.jpg

A couple of Egret shots.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/IMG_1444-Egrets-for-web.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/IMG_1511-Egret-for-Web.jpg

A Pair of Stilts
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/WheelchairShooter/IMG_1517-Pair-of-Stilts-for.jpg

None of these are very good. Too soft. Guess I need to get that bigger lens I've been talking about or start shooting macro. These were shot with the 300 f4 and the last 2 with a 1.4 TC. They are all croped more than I like.

Guerry

since76
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 19:13
Hey AZPOTNers!

It's been ages since I've posted anything on the forums, but please rest assured that I've been lurking in the background. ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that we're gearing up for Ignite Phoenix #2 and have opened up submissions for presenters. Just in case you're not familiar with Ignite...

Ignite Phoenix is an information exchange aimed at fostering and inspiring Phoenix's creative community. Presenters get 5 minutes and 20 slides to talk about anything and everything they're passionate about.

At our last (and first) event in August, we had people talk about everything from being the only black guy in the room to social network silos to pinhole photography (via the awesome Sheila Bocchine). It's also a great opportunity to expand your network and share your passion and interests with others.

As I mentioned above, we're currently taking submissions and you have until 5pm on October 10th to submit your idea for consideration. You do not have to have a complete presentation to submit, all you need is a short 2-3 sentence description of your presentation idea. Here's the link if you're interested in submitting: http://www.ignite-phoenix.org/submissions/

The event itself is scheduled for Wednesday October 29th at the Jobing.com offices in Phoenix. Feel free to message me or IgnitePhoenix@gmail.com, or visit the website if you have any questions or need more info! ;)

Sincerely,
~Tomas
a.k.a. The Ignite Phoenix Evangelist :)
http://ignitephoenix.com/

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:02
<Glancing Left .. Glancing Right>

Is it safe to come out yet..?

:oops:

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:16

Yay! :)

Of course it is. Specially in our secret little section. :)

macroshooter1970
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 20:22

your safe here, just don't wonder off.

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:20
Yay! :)

Of course it is. Specially in our secret little section. :)

your safe here, just don't wonder off.

I promise to play in my own yard and to not to cross the street... ;)

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:22
http://tommiguard.com/images/FBy_My_Side_with_Harness.jpg

Don't make me get one of these for you.... ;):lol:

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:22
Here are some shots from this morning at Gilbert Water Ranch. Not much to choose from and nothing reaqlly in range, except Nancy shooting me.

None of these are very good. Too soft. Guess I need to get that bigger lens I've been talking about or start shooting macro. These were shot with the 300 f4 and the last 2 with a 1.4 TC. They are all croped more than I like.

Guerry

Not a total waste Guerry...

Exposure looks spot on. Just make some mental notes (or real ones for that matter) and next time, you'll be able to shoot knowing you're right on the money.

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:23
http://tommiguard.com/images/FBy_My_Side_with_Harness.jpg

Don't make me get one of these for you.... ;):lol:

Ok, that mouthful of tea just missed the laptop...

LOL...

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:24
Ok, that mouthful of tea just missed the laptop...

LOL...
LOL! Welcome back Jay. :)

FlyingPhotog
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:30
LOL! Welcome back Jay. :)

Thanks Pal...

Sorry for the drama.

Carry on...

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 22:32
These are the two real(ish) shots from this weekend. I didn't take my DSLR... cause I'm lazy and didn't want to carry it. lol So just used my P&S...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/jbdavies/IMG_3021.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/jbdavies/IMG_3022.jpg

azpix
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:02
jeremy,

where are those taken from?

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:03
jeremy,

where are those taken from?
Top of South Mountain. :)

azpix
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:05
gracias,
i'm go to have to go hit that trail. cool view.

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:06
gracias,
i'm go to have to go hit that trail. cool view.
Well... you don't really hike to this spot. More of a very turny road. It's one of the look outs. The one that faces north obviously. It's pretty nice up there. :)

macroshooter1970
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:26
These are the two real(ish) shots from this weekend. I didn't take my DSLR... cause I'm lazy and didn't want to carry it. lol So just used my P&S...

why no superstitions?????????:evil:

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:29
why no superstitions?????????:evil:
I'm sorry! It was too far for the other person to drive too... :(

macroshooter1970
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:31
I'm sorry! It was too far for the other person to drive too... :(

to bad,maybe next time

jbdavies
21st of September 2008 (Sun), 23:32
to bad,maybe next time
Hopefully. It was a pretty cool looking sunset too. Would have been nice to see it from the Supers. :)

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:52

Lookin' pretty good...
Sunsets from up there can be pretty good:
(Shot with a 20D back in the "Stone Age" .. I ought to revisit these)
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/71274090/original.jpg

Kristy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:55
WOW! Busy day around here... You guy make me want to go hiking. I've never been up that mountain....

Great shots! :) Jay and Jeremy.... And Guerry.. nice Birdies... Looks like you you did well in spite of the water levels. :)

**an extra smile just knowing that Jay has returned to our corner**

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:56
WOW! Busy day around here... You guy make me want to go hiking. I've never been up that mountain....

Great shots! :) Jay and Jeremy.... And Guerry.. nice Birdies... Looks like you you did well in spite of the water levels. :)

**an extra smile just knowing that Jay has returned to our corner**

<Blush>

Pitty Party is over now... ;)

Kristy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 00:58
<Blush>

Pitty Party is over now... ;)

A celebration in your honor.....

http://ksnyderphoto.smugmug.com/photos/376780091_bHwms-M.jpg

Well, we can pretend.... LOL.....

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:00
A celebration in your honor.....
http://ksnyderphoto.smugmug.com/photos/376780091_bHwms-M.jpg
Well, we can pretend.... LOL.....

You're too kind...

(Can I have pony?)

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:03
BTW...ordered a Sekonic L-358 from Canoga tonite...

Bad exposures won't stand a chance now! (Sha, right...)

Kristy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:03
You're too kind...

(Can I have pony?)

We have no ponies.... :(

The simple folk only have lollipops..... I think the pony parties are in Scottsdale.. better start staking out their local parks.....

Edit to add.... I've had that meter on my "wish list" for over a year now.... what's wrong with me anyway?

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:04
We have no ponies.... :(

The simple folk only have lollipops..... I think the pony parties are in Scottsdale.. better start staking out their local parks.....

Just don't take a camera... :rolleyes:

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:17
Lookin' pretty good...
Sunsets from up there can be pretty good:
(Shot with a 20D back in the "Stone Age" .. I ought to revisit these)
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/71274090/original.jpg
Cool shot Jay! I would have been up there for the sunset... but... yeah. Anyways...

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:36
Here's another that I culled from that same shoot:
20D + 100-400:

"Frequency"
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103477313/original.jpg