PDA

View Full Version : Arizona POTN get together?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:39
What does "Creating Thumbnails" mean? Besides... creating thumbnails. lol Will it come up eventually?

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:41
What does "Creating Thumbnails" mean? Besides... creating thumbnails. lol Will it come up eventually?

Hmmm....

There's been some serious funkyness going on with PBase of late.

May be time to migrate everything to Zenfolio instead.

What do you see with the actual link?
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103477313

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:42
An awesome shot! I love it! :)

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:45
Helps if I spell "original" correctly...Sheesh...

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:46
lol

Long day? ;)

Kristy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:47
I think it was just taking a minute to load.. I can see the image.. Very cool! Nice colors... :)

I like Smugmug... I chose it over Zenfolio...:oops:

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:48
I use Photobucket. :P lol

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:50
lol

Long day? ;)

Nah. I just don't use too many brain cells on Sundays when I'm on "hiatus"

I think it was just taking a minute to load.. I can see the image.. Very cool! Nice colors... :)

I like Smugmug... I chose it over Zenfolio...:oops:

Would have taken forever... I fat fingered the text of the embedded link.

Zen just announced a whole raft of changes/improvements as well as an expansion of the items people can buy. Puzzles, Sports Posters, Sports Cards, Sports Tickets (real I think. Just put the image on 'em you want and order 85,000 x 16 for a whole NFL season!)

Kristy
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:53
Nah. I just don't use too many brain cells on Sundays when I'm on "hiatus"

Would have taken forever... I fat fingered the text of the embedded link.

Zen just announced a whole raft of changes/improvements as well as an expansion of the items people can buy. Puzzles, Sports Posters, Sports Cards, Sports Tickets (real I think. Just put the image on 'em you want and order 85,000 x 16 for a whole NFL season!)

I bet you'll be selling a lot of sports cards this year....:rolleyes:

Smugmug allows you to customize your page... gives you a direct address if you have a domain name, create your own pricing, packages, blah, blah, blah... they handle payments from clients, self fufillment or auto, etc...

Check out out and compare... They just added metallic prints to their line up.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:53
I bet you'll be selling a lot of sports cards this year....:rolleyes:

Smugmug allows you to customize your page... gives you a direct address if you have a domain name, create your own pricing, packages, blah, blah, blah... they handle payments from clients, self fufillment or auto, etc...

Check out out and compare... They just added metallic prints to their line up.

Zen does all of the above as well (given that you have a "Pro" account...)

azpix
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:54
Jay and Jeremy,

what road take you up to that point. Can you drive all the way up?

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:55
Yes. It's the main road. Just follow the signs for "Something" Lookout. (I can't remember the name)

Kristy
Zen does all of the above as well (given that you have a "Pro" account...)

I think they are the same. When I checked out Zen, they were brand new. At the time, Smugmug had some features that I liked... specifically right click disable... and the ability to password protect certain galleries, and stuff like that.

Kristy
Jay and Jeremy,

Yes. It's the main road. Just follow the signs for "Something" Lookout. (I can't remember the name)

AZ POTN Hiking trip!! As soon as it gets a little cooler... let's do it!! :)

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:56
Jay and Jeremy,

Yessir...

Just take Central Ave south (IIRC, Baseline is the last main E/W street before you're nearly in the park) and you'll run smack into the entrance to South Mountain...

I think the road is referred to in the park as "Summit."

The point where Jeremy shot from is actuall a left turn off the road up the mountain. If you don't turn and keep going, it will take you to a higher parking area that's sort of on the backside with a great view of Ahwatukee and south to Maricopa.

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:57
AZ POTN Hiking trip!! As soon as it gets a little cooler... let's do it!! :)
There's really not that much hiking to do up there. You can drive to any of the points that you can hike to. So why hike when you can drive? :P lol

azpix
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:58
Yessir...

Just take Central Ave south (IIRC, Baseline is the last main E/W street before you're nearly in the park) and you'll run smack into the entrance to South Mountain...

I think the road is referred to in the park as "Summit."

The point where Jeremy shot from is actuall a left turn off the road up the mountain. If you don't turn and keep going, it will take you to a higher parking area that's sort of on the backside with a great view of Ahwatukee and south to Maricopa.

thanks,

i'm gonna wonder up there this week.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:58
There's really not that much hiking to do up there. You can drive to any of the points that you can hike to. So why hike when you can drive? :P lol

If you come up from the South Side (Ahwatukee) there is actually a nice trail that pops out right at the hard left corner (heading up).

IIRC, there is a bench at that point when you're driving up the Summit road.

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 01:59
thanks,

The best part... is it's FREE!!!

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:00
If you come up from the South Side (Ahwatukee) there is actually a nice trail that pops out right at the hard left corner (heading up).

IIRC, there is a bench at that point when you're driving up the Summit road.
Really? Hmmm... I wasn't in a real "hiking" mood anyways... specially in the freaken heat. Ugh...

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:00
thanks,

Enjoy. Just watch out for the other loose nuts behind the wheel. Some tend to cut the corner a bit too much when headed back down.

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:08
Enjoy. Just watch out for the other loose nuts behind the wheel. Some tend to cut the corner a bit too much when headed back down.
No kidding. I was going down... and someone made a wide turn and almost hit me... the bastard. Luckly I wasn't really paying attention... other wise we would have hit. :D

azpix
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:11
i've put off going up there because I thought it was a hike. I work with a bunch of people that go "hiking" up there. I just looked at the map on google.
can you drive all the way to the towers?

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 02:13
i've put off going up there because I thought it was a hike. I work with a bunch of people that go "hiking" up there. I just looked at the map on google.
Pretty much. There's a lookout by the towers. The closest you can get is about.... 100 yards?

No... more like 200.

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:21

there's a bunch of hiking trails there and you can hike to the top near the towers.

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:23
http://phoenix.gov/parks/hikemain.html

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:26
Pretty much. There's a lookout by the towers. The closest you can get is about.... 100 yards?

No... more like 200.

The "backside" parking area road goes past the transmitter service road and gate, continues on up just a little higher but makes a wide left turn away from the transmitters.

You end up on the next "peak" to the south, well away from the RF sources. I was just looking at more of the stuff I shot that day and didn't see any RF interference at all. I ought to take my 5D up there and see what it does since it's (supposely) more sensitive to RF...

I'd bet it's closer to 500 to 800 yards. Distances are deceiving becuase the towers aren't as tall as you'd expect. Being on top of a mountain to begin with, they can actually put up physically shorter towers.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:27
http://phoenix.gov/parks/hikemain.html

Telegraph Pass Trail is the one I think I was thinking of that comes up from Ahwatukee...

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:31
Telegraph Pass Trail is the one I think I was thinking of that comes up from Ahwatukee...

that's the one, done that a few times. once at the top chill on the bench and decide where you want to hike next.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:40
that's the one, done that a few times. once at the top chill on the bench and decide where you want to hike next.

Or simply die... :)

I've been up to where the pavement ends a couple of times when we've had family in town (nice walk for the kiddies...) I've seen mountain bikers actually carrying their bikes down the trail.

Ride Up the front .. Walk Down the back I guess.

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:42
Or simply die... :)

I've been up to where the pavement ends a couple of times when we've had family in town (nice walk for the kiddies...) I've seen mountain bikers actually carrying their bikes down the trail.

Ride Up the front .. Walk Down the back I guess.

haha, come on it ain't that bad.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:48
haha, come on it ain't that bad.

It may not be that bad but if I'm going to bust my hump on a walk, I want to see better scenery than either South Central PHX or Suburban Sprawl...

Views like this get depressing:
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/71316671/original.jpg

On a related note...

I picked up a copy of AZ Highways book "Back Roads" today At Barnes & Noble. Looks like some great off the beaten path getaways. Going to have to go drive some of them when the Wx breaks a bit.

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:50
It may not be that bad but if I'm going to bust my hump on a walk, I want to see better scenery than either South Central PHX or Suburban Sprawl...

Views like this get depressing:

On a related note...

I picked up a copy of AZ Highways book "Back Roads" today At Barnes & Noble. Looks like some great off the beaten path getaways. Going to have to go drive some of them when the Wx breaks a bit.

very true, the views suck, I just do it for the exercise and block out the rest.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:51
very true, the views suck, I just do it for the exercise and block out the rest.

Now that makes entirely too much sense... :p:lol:

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:52
i'd still like to try and do some sedona stuff with some of you people. tried last years, but it didn't work out.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 04:52
i'd still like to try and do some sedona stuff with some of you people. tried last years, but it didn't work out.

Are you in a position to play hooky during the week?

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:02
Are you in a position to play hooky during the week?

this week i'll be a little busy, got some friends visiting from chicago. i'm willing to plan something soon though. i'm off 4 or 3 days a week. this week is my 4 day weekend, love this schedule.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:04
this week i'll be a little busy, got some friends visiting from chicago. i'm willing to plan something soon though. i'm off 4 or 3 days a week. this week is my 4 day weekend, love this schedule.

What are your "normal" days off?

I'm a little up against it myself as I'll be heading out for MLB Playoffs in about a week and a half and will probably be out for three full weeks.

Gonna miss the best fall color (again) this year.

I need a new job. :(

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:05
What are your "normal" days off?

I'm a little up against it myself as I'll be heading out for MLB Playoffs in about a week and a half and will probably be out for three full weeks.

Gonna miss the best fall color (again) this year.

I need a new job. :(

i work 6pm-6am sun,mon,tue and every other sat.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:06
i work 6pm-6am sun,mon,tue and every other sat.

We could probably do a Wed or Thu then...

We'll work on that.

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:06
will you be covering any of the cubs games

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:09
tammie, russ where are you guys. almost time to get out and play.

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:09
will you be covering any of the cubs games

Don't know yet. I'm hired to do one Divisional Playoff series which could be either AL or NL and then the ALCS.

I'm actually rooting hard for the White Sox simply because I don't want to spend all my time "shuttling" back and forth between Anaheim and either Boston or Tampa...ugh.

Either cut out the far Eastern team(s) or the far Western team...

macroshooter1970
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:11
white sox, never heard of them. ya well have to work on something very soon. back to work, 4hrs to go. peace out

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 05:12
white sox, never heard of them. ya well have to work on something very soon. back to work, 4hrs to go. peace out

Ciao...

disneydork06
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 12:45
Don't know yet. I'm hired to do one Divisional Playoff series which could be either AL or NL and then the ALCS.

I'm actually rooting hard for the White Sox simply because I don't want to spend all my time "shuttling" back and forth between Anaheim and either Boston or Tampa...ugh.

Either cut out the far Eastern team(s) or the far Western team...
hey, maybe with luck you can get to do the dbacks when they make it into the playoffs :-)

FlyingPhotog
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 12:47
hey, maybe with luck you can get to do the dbacks when they make it into the playoffs :-)

Did them last year .. didn't work out so well.

They got swept and that cost me money!

Hey, since you chimed in: Go get the latest AZ Highways. Good article on where to find the best fall colors.

disneydork06
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 13:27
Did them last year .. didn't work out so well.

They got swept and that cost me money!

Hey, since you chimed in: Go get the latest AZ Highways. Good article on where to find the best fall colors.ok, thank you!

scottcolbath
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 20:06
Just back from the Arizona Strip/Zion.

Here's one from the Grand Canyon, North of Lee's Ferry.
http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/377602459_JV9YY-XL.jpg

Here's a 'stitched pic. I need to work on this sort of thing. You can see the seam. I think the problem was that I was shooting in AP mode on the 30D when I should have been full manual. I think the shutter speed changed from one pic to the next. I also have several more exposures to add on to the left.

http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/377619529_dCUNE-L.jpg

S.C.

BamPhoto
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 20:12
Still inColorado working 6-10's hopefully get some color this weekend,,,,, Welcome back Jay!! Great shots all!

ScottDR
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 21:47
On a related note...

Jay,

Lockett's Meadow is one such little gem. The wife and I cruised up yesterday and left as the sun got low. Reminds me very much of CO with the pine and aspen lined meadow (complete with pond). I need to do some serious PP catching up as I still haven't even played with my sunrise or sunset GC photos...ugh. Why does life get in the way of fun? :)

Anyway, It's on the North side of the SF range and you enter opposite the entrance to Sunset Crater park off of Hwy 89. I made it in the Civic but took my time as some places where a bit dicey with sharp rocks etc. It's a trip to a different very quiet world. Planning on camping up there overnight October 4-5.

jbdavies
22nd of September 2008 (Mon), 21:53

Here's one from the Grand Canyon, North of Lee's Ferry.
http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/377602459_JV9YY-XL.jpg

Here's a 'stitched pic. I need to work on this sort of thing. You can see the seam. I think the problem was that I was shooting in AP mode on the 30D when I should have been full manual. I think the shutter speed changed from one pic to the next. I also have several more exposures to add on to the left.

http://wookiee.smugmug.com/photos/377619529_dCUNE-L.jpg

S.C.
Scott, good looking shots there. :) The first one looks like it's leaning a tad to the right though... or maybe it's the left... or maybe not at all. I don't know. lol

How long were you up there?

scottcolbath
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 00:30
Scott, good looking shots there. :) The first one looks like it's leaning a tad to the right though... or maybe it's the left... or maybe not at all. I don't know. lol

How long were you up there?

Thanks. I could crop it one way or the other and square it up. What do the masses say?

I was actually up there only for friday evening, then all day Saturday, which I used to run up to Kanab to visit Best Friends (do not EVER donate to them) and on a whim, I ran up to Zion and made it home late Saturday afternoon/evening. Sunday we ran home.

I plan on getting back there soon. I really like it up there.

S.C.

FlyingPhotog
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 01:14

Good lookin' preview Scott...

Magnificent country for sure. Spending time up there in September of '07 was a definite highlite of the year.

Thanks for the heads up on Lockett's Meadow. Adding to the ever growing list of places I can never seem to find the time to visit... :rolleyes:

Kristy
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 13:04
Beautiful Scenery shots guys... :) I love seeing it. Makes me want to go out and shoot stuff for fun.. But I'm lost in work for pay at the moment...

Here's a little something that I liked... just posted it in the photos and words thread.

jbdavies
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 15:17
Great looking shot Kristy! Love what you did with it too. :-)

Kristy
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 17:40
Great looking shot Kristy! Love what you did with it too. :-)

:) Thanks Jeremy.. I love baby feet... :)

hgsfrmme2u
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 18:51
Beautiful Scenery shots guys... :) I love seeing it. Makes me want to go out and shoot stuff for fun.. But I'm lost in work for pay at the moment...

Here's a little something that I liked... just posted it in the photos and words thread.

Very cute! Baby feet are the best.

Hatch1921
23rd of September 2008 (Tue), 21:42
Really nice shots all. :)

Hatch

ScottDR
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:48
Beautiful shot Kristy, nice desert shots Scott C!

Jay, you might want to make the time for Lockett Meadow if you just need to get your head in order...really peaceful.

After seeing all of the great photo's I got an itch to look at my GC shots from July. Here are three...all seem to have a bit more noise than, not sure what I'm doing wrong in CS2 but like everything else I need practice :).http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/ScottDR/Grand%20Canyon%20July%202008/_MG_9804.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/ScottDR/Grand%20Canyon%20July%202008/_MG_0001.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii96/ScottDR/Grand%20Canyon%20July%202008/_MG_0061.jpg

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:54
Ah the Canyon. Really can't go wrong there...

The third one is a good candidate for a little sky masking so you can tweak it separately from the rocks.

I appreciate the encouragement to get out of the house but I'm pretty much chained in place for a while. Expecting UPS tomorrow (new Sekonic) and FedEx on Friday (MLB-related swag and my TBS credentials) then I have to be ready to head out by as early as Saturday night (don't know for sure yet) so I'm kind of unable to do much day tripping for the time being.

Depending upon what the first of next week looks like travel wise, I might try and sneak out for a bit on Thursday. We'll see...

ScottDR
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 00:56
Thanks! I'll try some layer masking as I've been wanting to mess with that more. Hope you can cram some exploring in there somewhere.

Crap, this early morning work stuff is getting old...g'nite all!

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 03:07
Knock Knock...

It's so quiet here....

azpix
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:06
Knock Knock...

It's so quiet here....

no kidding. usually it's impossible to keep up with this thread.

Here's a few i took today playing with the new white seamless.
CC welcome, especially on the lighting/ white background

The wife is pregnant and big, not sure if the positioning of the hands here diminish that.
http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack.jpg

http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack-2.jpg

http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack-3.jpg

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:32
ScottDRs GCNP shots made me go digging and I decided to try and "build a better canyon...:

Original OOC:
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103576870/original.jpg

Heavy CS3 Layering:
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103576873/original.jpg

[EDIT] I Hate sRGB... The finished product on my end looks much, much more natural and not so over saturated and red...ugh.

disneydork06
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:44
azpix, nice shots...gotta love those maternity pants. pretty funny...worked at kohls so I was around them a bit. I like the kiddie shots too but they seem a bit soft to me? or maybe cause I had a couple drinks or maybe it's just that late at night for me :-P

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:50
no kidding. usually it's impossible to keep up with this thread.

Here's a few i took today playing with the new white seamless.
CC welcome, especially on the lighting/ white background

The wife is pregnant and big, not sure if the positioning of the hands here diminish that.
http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack.jpg

I like all the hands but (on my monitor) I'm losing a little detail and defintion at camera right. Things are going to pretty much black...

http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack-2.jpg

Very cute and good job of getting the light even across such a large expanse.

http://www.coreyschimmel.com/jack-3.jpg

Nice looking young man. Might need a touch of post resizing sharpening. The eyes look just a hair soft.

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 04:51

Makes me want to play some "This little piggy..."

Really nicely done Kristy! :)

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:54
Jay... that's a huge difference! Looks really good. The first "hill" thing looks a little hot on the right... but other than that... awesome job! Really brought out the colors. And really... I don't think the saturation is that bad... again, if anything it would be the first hill.

azpix
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 10:59
jay and ryan........thanks for the feedback.

azpix
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:02
cool changes to the forum this morning with all the sub forums. may make looking through info more efficient.

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 11:27
cool changes to the forum this morning with all the sub forums. may make looking through info more efficient.
I saw that. Pretty nifty. Didn't realize it was new. I just thought I wasn't observant at all and just didn't notice till now. :D lol

disneydork06
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 13:32
I saw that. Pretty nifty. Didn't realize it was new. I just thought I wasn't observant at all and just didn't notice till now. :D loli actually got a little lost looking for this thread :-P maybe I should read what I'm clicking onto next time

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:16
i actually got a little lost looking for this thread :-P maybe I should read what I'm clicking onto next time
Ha! I didn't even notice it had moved. lol Oh well...

disneydork06
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 16:37
Ha! I didn't even notice it had moved. lol Oh well...yeah, i wanted to check what was the post count but then when i did my usual to get to the potn member activities area, i didn't see any get together threads...

macroshooter1970
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 17:27
:rolleyes:

jbrown7815
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 17:36
Just bought my first Off-camera flash [285HV] Now I just need a Stand, Umbrella, and swivel...

Maybe next week when I get paid. I plan on buying from MPEX.

Anyone reccomend anything else?

Cesarvai
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 19:45
I was thinking of buying that flash ( or 2 ) now that the sunpak 383 is discontinued with this softboxes ( 28 x 28 and 50 x50 ) and this umbrellas and some cybersincs or elinchrom, for on location shooting without studio strobes :rolleyes:. what the lighting Experts like " The Rookie Having Fun" or Terry , etc etc, have to say any Tips ?? ANY DONATIONS ?? :) .

Cesar Salazar :cool:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197057-REG/Westcott_2021_Umbrella_White_Satin_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63316-REG/Westcott_3625_Umbrella_Silver_with.html

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=562987&highlight=wescott+speedlite+kit

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1124#comments

Just bought my first Off-camera flash [285HV] Now I just need a Stand, Umbrella, and swivel...

Maybe next week when I get paid. I plan on buying from MPEX.

Anyone reccomend anything else?

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 19:59
Got my Sekonic L-358 today...

Just tried it out in the backyard and It's awesome! Point at the subject (using the LumiGrid in place of the LumiSphere), meter, shoot and you're easily within 1/3 of a stop of being right on the money!

Now to go lash it up to my Elinchroms and see if I can figure out lighting ratios!!

Big Fun!! :)

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:06
Got my Sekonic L-358 today...

Just tried it out in the backyard and It's awesome! Point at the subject (using the LumiGrid in place of the LumiSphere), meter, shoot and you're easily within 1/3 of a stop of being right on the money!

Now to go lash it up to my Elinchroms and see if I can figure out lighting ratios!!

Big Fun!! :)
C'est tout le " ; French" ; moi !

I couldn't find Greek. LOL

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:08
C'est tout le " ; French" ; moi !

I couldn't find Greek. LOL

Plain English usually works...

"It's all French To Me?" :lol:

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:14
Plain English usually works...

"It's all French To Me?" :lol:
lol Yeah... I wanted Greek... cause everything you just said... I didn't get any of it. :D ;)

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:22
lol Yeah... I wanted Greek... cause everything you just said... I didn't get any of it. :D ;)

Well allow me to explain:

The Sekonic L-358 comes with two types of light gathering "filters":

1- The traditional omni-gathering White Dome that's a staple of just about all light meters and measures indident lighting (The LumiSphere)
2- A replacement "eye" for the the LumiSphere that has a 50 degree field of view and is used to measure reflected light from a distance (The LumiGrid)
They also offer 1, 5 and 10 degree spot "snoots" for making really specific measurements. How bright is that one rock? ;)

I actually almost bought the next level up Sekonic because it has an optical sight to look through to aim the meter and make 1 degree spot readings. Probably a good thing Canoga was backordered on that one...

Clear as mud now? I'll get some pictures of it and with it in the probably far off future... Never fails, I get a new toy and have to immediately leave town for an extended period...

Maybe I'll take it on the road with me!

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:25
Well allow me to explain:

The Sekonic L-358 comes with two types of light gathering thingamajigs:

1- The traditional White Dome that's a staple of light meters (LumiSphere)
2- A "LumiGrid" which replaces the LumiSphere and has a 50 degree field of view.

You use the LumiSphere to measure incident light (light falling on the subject) when at or near your subject and the LumiGrid when you have to measure reflected light light on an object that's distant. They also make 1, 5 and 10 degree spot "snoots" for making really specific measurements.

I almost bought the next level up Sekonic because there is actually an optical sight to look through to aim the meter...

Clear as mud now? I'll get some pictures of it and with it in the probably far off future... Never fails, I get a new toy and have to immediately leave town for an extended period...

Maybe I'll take it on the road with me!
...... totally. :D

You have oneish more day(s) to play with it. You should be an expert by then. Right? ;)

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:26
...... totally. :D

You have oneish more day(s) to play with it. You should be an expert by then. Right? ;)

Sure. I also have a copy of Grey's Anatomy on order from Amazon. Anyone want an apendectomy on Monday? :cool:

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:28
Sure. I also have a copy of Grey's Anatomy on order from Amazon. Anyone want an apendectomy on Monday? :cool:
Hahahaha!

Anyone every heard of this place Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com/)? Looks pretty cool.

Also, has anyone played with the new CS4?

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:34
Hahahaha!

Anyone every heard of this place Lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com/)? Looks pretty cool.

Also, has anyone played with the new CS4?

Don't think CS4 is available for demo yet...is it?

I'll probably pop for the basic upgrade ($199 IIRC) but some of Illustrator-esque functions of the "Suite" version are lost on me...

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:35
Don't think CS4 is available for demo yet...is it?

I'll probably pop for the basic upgrade ($199 IIRC) but some of Illustrator-esque functions of the "Suite" version are lost on me...
Oh, I have no idea. I just saw that it came out yesterday. I would love to get the Master Collection! All those new toys to play with!! :D

But... I've yet to upgrade my Lightroom... :(

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:40
Oh, I have no idea. I just saw that it came out yesterday. I would love to get the Master Collection! All those new toys to play with!! :D

But... I've yet to upgrade my Lightroom... :(

Oh Dude you really should...

Ver2 (now 2.1) is head and shoulders better than Ver 1.4.1 or whatever Ver 1 ended up being.

Get the Beta Camera Profiles too...they are really worth it.

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:41
Oh Dude you really should...

Ver2 (now 2.1) is head and shoulders better than Ver 1.4.1 or whatever Ver 1 ended up being.

Get the Beta Camera Profiles too...they are really worth it.
I know I know. I'm just waiting to hear about this job I want before I spend any money. Besides... I have a $200 ticket I have the wonderful pleasure of paying............... lol :D

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:45
I know I know. I'm just waiting to hear about this job I want before I spend any money. Besides... I have a $200 ticket I have the wonderful pleasure of paying............... lol :D

You, with a moving violation? Frankly I'm :shock: !!!

(I thought you had friends in high places?)

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:46
You, with a moving violation? Frankly I'm :shock: !!!

(I thought you had friends in high places?)
HAHAHA! That's in the Payson PD ;)... this was DPS...

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:48
HAHAHA! That's in the Payson PD ;)... this was DPS...

Whoops....

No reciprocal back scratching, eh? Bummer...

You get that on your last visit to The Valley?

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:48
Whoops....

No reciprocal back scratching, eh? Bummer...

You get that on your last visit to The Valley?
Nahh... up in Heber. 63 in a 45.....:oops:

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:51
Nahh... up in Heber. 63 in a 45.....:oops:

Ok, I can understand wanting to get through Heber quickly...

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:52
Ok, I can understand wanting to get through Heber quickly...
HAHA!! Yeah. Well I was coming from Show Low and I had it on cruise control... well, it just kept on cruisen. lol

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:53
HAHA!! Yeah. Well I was coming from Show Low and I had it on cruise control... well, it just kept on cruisen. lol

There's your out...

Blame the technology! ;)

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:54
There's your out...

Blame the technology! ;)
Hahaha... I could. Just say they didn't have it clearly marked so I didn't know any better. It's worked for some people...

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:57
Hahaha... I could. Just say they didn't have it clearly marked so I didn't know any better. It's worked for some people...

Offer the court some TFT (Time For Ticket) Photography...

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 20:58
Offer the court some TFT (Time For Ticket) Photography...
Except I'd have to go to Snowflake...........

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:01
Except I'd have to go to Snowflake...........

Ah, gotcha...

Otherwise you just mail it in with the necessary funds.

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:06
Ah, gotcha...

Otherwise you just mail it in with the necessary funds.
Exactly. I'm so not looking forward to that day. Oh well...

On a lighter note... Greer, AZ (http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arizona/features/articles/0712greer0713-ON.html). I just drove through there the other week (actually the same day I got the ticket). I've never been up that way when it's not all snowy. Very beautiful place. :)

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:13
Exactly. I'm so not looking forward to that day. Oh well...

On a lighter note... Greer, AZ (http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arizona/features/articles/0712greer0713-ON.html). I just drove through there the other week (actually the same day I got the ticket). I've never been up that way when it's not all snowy. Very beautiful place. :)

So I hear...

My wife used to work with a guy who's annual "Mancation" was a week of fly fishing up there. He used to rave about how calm and peaceful it was...

Added to the list...

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:16
So I hear...

My wife used to work with a guy who's annual "Mancation" was a week of fly fishing up there. He used to rave about how calm and peaceful it was...

Added to the list...
The ever growing list. ;)

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:19
The ever growing list. ;)

Zigactly...

Between POTN AZ, This "Back Roads" book I just got and another book I picked up at Costco called "Monumental Places" (also an AZ Highways Publication) I figure I'm good for the next several decades as far as photo travel is concerned...

Late 2008 and into 2009 is gonna be busy... :rolleyes:

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:30
Zigactly...

Between POTN AZ, This "Back Roads" book I just got and another book I picked up at Costco called "Monumental Places" (also an AZ Highways Publication) I figure I'm good for the next several decades as far as photo travel is concerned...

Late 2008 and into 2009 is gonna be busy... :rolleyes:
Keeps you out of troub..... wait... never mind. ;) lol

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:30
Keeps you out of troub..... wait... never mind. ;) lol

Pot
Kettle
;)

jbdavies
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:33
Pot
Kettle
;)
HAHA!! I get that said to me way to often. I just don't get it... :D lol

macroshooter1970
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:47
why did i play with a 1d mk III today? Now that's one nice feeling camera.

FlyingPhotog
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:49
why did i play with a 1d mk III today? Now that's one nice feeling camera.

NEED GORY DETAILS PLEASE ! ;)

macroshooter1970
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:53
NEED GORY DETAILS PLEASE ! ;)

haha.....might get one,wanted one ever since it came out, but after messing with it........:) I might get it next week. damit canon i hate you

macroshooter1970
24th of September 2008 (Wed), 21:54

look at those little feet, nice picture.

jbdavies
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 01:23
haha.....might get one,wanted one ever since it came out, but after messing with it........:) I might get it next week. damit canon i hate you
While you're at it... why don't you get me one too? ;) lol

FlyingPhotog
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 01:26

Geez, you dodge questions better than Mr McCain and Mr Obama...

C'mon, spill... How'd you go about playing, where'd you use it, what glass were you using, etc...

Inquiring minds want to know!

disneydork06
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 01:43
Geez, you dodge questions better than Mr McCain and Mr Obama...

C'mon, spill... How'd you go about playing, where'd you use it, what glass were you using, etc...

Inquiring minds want to know!
yeah mike...spill the beans :-)

macroshooter1970
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 04:10
it's my friends camera, didn't know he had one. had a 70-200 and 24-70 with it, just driving around shooting random things. when he leaves, i'll try and steal it or something.

disneydork06
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 04:17
it's my friends camera, didn't know he had one. had a 70-200 and 24-70 with it, just driving around shooting random things. when he leaves, i'll try and steal it or something.
don't forget the 24-70 too! I've always wanted one of those :-P

macroshooter1970
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 04:19
don't forget the 24-70 too! I've always wanted one of those :-P

wow, thought you had one for some reason.

disneydork06
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 04:23
wow, thought you had one for some reason.I had the sigma one but sold it cause I wasn't using it last semester and needed the money :-(

Az2Africa
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 09:10
Jay. We haven't seen any shots with your new lights yet. How about a photo of the setup.

Hatch1921
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 11:15
Mike... I wanted this camera as well(still do) but... if you have some time to kill... this is a good read.

August 1, 2008: Does the Canon EOS-1D Mark III now offer reliable autofocus? (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9357)

Might be a good camera for what we do with it... but... for the money... and all the issues in the past/present... not so sure.

Hatch

macroshooter1970
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 11:59
Mike... I wanted this camera as well(still do) but... if you have some time to kill... this is a good read.

August 1, 2008: Does the Canon EOS-1D Mark III now offer reliable autofocus? (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9357)

Might be a good camera for what we do with it... but... for the money... and all the issues in the past/present... not so sure.

Hatch

thanks for the link, I'll read it at work sunday. that's the only thing really holding me back, the past problems. I like the 1.6 crops, but just tired of them for a few reasons, but still need some speed.

BrianAZ
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 12:04
Yeah, I want a 1D series, but I may have to settle for a 1Ds. :)

macroshooter1970
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 12:04
Yeah, I want a 1D series, but I may have to settle for a 1Ds. :)

why's that

BrianAZ
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 15:46
I'm just trying to convince myself that I really want to spend several grand more on a body.

macroshooter1970
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 16:37
I'm just trying to convince myself that I really want to spend several grand more on a body.

oh i see :)

Hatch1921
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 17:11
Brian....if you want to feel the joy for spending money... feel free to purchase the following for me. :)

135L
16-35II
90mm tilt-shift
The news lens baby... looks interesting and might make for a cheaper tllt-shift lens.
200mm F/2.0
300 F/2.8

I'll just stop for now as you will have a blast buying these things for me. ROFL

:)Hatch

BrianAZ
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 19:38
Brian....if you want to feel the joy for spending money... feel free to purchase the following for me. :)

135L
16-35II
90mm tilt-shift
The news lens baby... looks interesting and might make for a cheaper tllt-shift lens.
200mm F/2.0
300 F/2.8

I'll just stop for now as you will have a blast buying these things for me. ROFL

:)Hatch

I think you are channeling my wife.

I (her) want:
New wood Floors
New Travertine Tile
New home office
New appliances
New rugs (need them for the new hardwood floors)
New Granite countertops
New dinning set
New lighting fixtures

....and from last weekend....
New house, but she is willing to settle for a 4300 sq foot house. :confused:

After I get all that done, I'll get right on your list, buddy.

Hatch1921
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:06
I think you are channeling my wife.

I (her) want:
New wood Floors
New Travertine Tile
New home office
New appliances
New rugs (need them for the new hardwood floors)
New Granite countertops
New dinning set
New lighting fixtures

....and from last weekend....
New house, but she is willing to settle for a 4300 sq foot house. :confused:

After I get all that done, I'll get right on your list, buddy.

Only 4300 sq ft... :D Well... in this market... you might be able to pick one up for next to nothing >:( stupid market! LOL

You should work my list first... much cheaper!

FlyingPhotog
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 21:58
"Roast Marine With Apple Garnish"
http://www.pbase.com/flyingphotog/image/103649828/original.jpg

jbdavies
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:07
"Roast Marine With Apple Garnish"

Haha! Awesome shot. Where was this?

FlyingPhotog
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:08
Haha! Awesome shot. Where was this?

Williams Gateway .. the former Willams AFB

jbdavies
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:09
Williams Gateway .. the former Willams AFB
Oh ok. Coolio. You wouldn't happen to know when the next real air show is would you? I haven't been to one in AGES!!

disneydork06
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:26
I'm just trying to convince myself that I really want to spend several grand more on a body.you don't need to convince yourself...that's what we're here for :-D we can do that for you! and you know you just WANT to get one so you should get one :-)

FlyingPhotog
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:41
Oh ok. Coolio. You wouldn't happen to know when the next real air show is would you? I haven't been to one in AGES!!

October 23-26 @ Casa Grande
http://www.copperstate.org/

Not a true airshow per se but it's good fly in and they usually get some good aircraft that come to call. The B&W P51 that's my avatar was shot there.

The nice thing is being able to wander the parking area among the planes.
May appeal more to a plane geek like me but it's fun...

2009 should be a good airshow season in AZ as Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson and the Goodyear Airport should both be having shows. Dunno if Luke is having one or not...

Maybe Mr. Hatcher might know?

jbdavies
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 22:50

Not a true airshow per se but it's good fly in and they usually get some good aircraft that come to call. The B&W P51 that's my avatar was shot there.

2009 should be a good airshow season in AZ as Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson and the Goodyear Airport should both be having shows. Dunno if Luke is having one or not...

That sounds pretty fun. I like looking at planes and watching them fly. What I really wanna see again is the Blue Angels though. Those guys are freaken amazing. :)

BrianAZ
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 23:40
You should work my list first... much cheaper!

Probably......even with the resulting divorce. :p

BrianAZ
25th of September 2008 (Thu), 23:43
you don't need to convince yourself...that's what we're here for :-D we can do that for you! and you know you just WANT to get one so you should get one :-)

With friends like you....... :)

azpix
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:20
hatch,
where did you shoot these shots below?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=575325

Hatch1921
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:49
hatch,
where did you shoot these shots below?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=575325

Link is not showing up:confused:

macroshooter1970
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 01:51
was it papago park

Hatch1921
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:01
If the link is to the recent photos in the Glam/nude forum.... yes... Papago park :)

macroshooter1970
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 02:13
thought so, you can see the city in the background.

macroshooter1970
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 09:30
got page triple six coming up, lets get past that one fast please :)

Kristy
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 10:50
Hey! :) I've been MIA for some reason. Busy week...

So Jay... Nice PP on the GC shot! I love how you can really push the color limits on those red rocks. I had fun working on some Sedona shots a couple years ago. We all need to get down there for a nature hike/shoot. Would be a fun fall thing to do. :)

I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks though... so...

Here are a couple of new things from this week... if you want to see them..

http://ksnyderphoto.smugmug.com/photos/380309951_vMPrt-L-1.jpg

http://ksnyderphoto.smugmug.com/photos/380309908_C8xwP-XL-1.jpg

ToferPhotography
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 10:51

I think it will be next March (they tend to go every OTHER year..)
LINK (http://www.luke.af.mil/ashowofforce2007/index.asp)

ToferPhotography
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 10:55
Nice shots Kristy!

Hatch1921
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:12
Awesome shots Kristy!!!

Dunno if Luke is having one or not...

Yes... Luke Day will happen next year :)

Hatch

macroshooter1970
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 11:43
Hey! :) I've been MIA for some reason. Busy week...

So Jay... Nice PP on the GC shot! I love how you can really push the color limits on those red rocks. I had fun working on some Sedona shots a couple years ago. We all need to get down there for a nature hike/shoot. Would be a fun fall thing to do. :)

I'm pretty busy for the next few weeks though... so...

Here are a couple of new things from this week... if you want to see them..

the first is really nice, second is cool 2.

Hatch1921
26th of September 2008 (Fri), 12:04
Anyone need a truck? Will trade for your camera? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pho/855852708.html :)

Hatch