PDA

View Full Version : Why my movies in QuickTime Player- not Widows Media Player???

tharmon
27th of February 2006 (Mon), 14:06
My old Canon took movies and automatically open on my desk top Computer in Windows Media Player... works great!

Now I have a new Olympus. The movies open in Quick Time Player (apple). I hate it! the sound and pict is all garbled.

What am I doing wrong?? Thanks for your help!! Tom

Briancd
27th of February 2006 (Mon), 15:28
DId you load new software when you got the olympus? If so, it is possible that Quick Time may have been installed. If you are using XP you can change the settings to nominate what to open files with. I am not on my XP computer at the moment so I'm not sure where to go. Try right clicking then select "open with"> then pick what program you want to run the movie.

tharmon
27th of February 2006 (Mon), 17:04
DId you load new software when you got the olympus? If so, it is possible that Quick Time may have been installed. If you are using XP you can change the settings to nominate what to open files with. I am not on my XP computer at the moment so I'm not sure where to go. Try right clicking then select "open with"> then pick what program you want to run the movie.

I have not loaded the new software yet. But I probably have an old version of Quick Time, since I used to own an Olympus camera before my Canon.

I don't understand... Do you think I should be able to use both Quick Time and Windows Media Player to play the movies I take with the Olympus camera?

I'll check to see on my XP computer for the setting you reference. Thank you.. Tom

Zepher
27th of February 2006 (Mon), 17:18
new camera might make .mov files which are quicktime.

tharmon
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 00:10
new camera might make .mov files which are quicktime.

I reinstalled Quicktime. My movies still sound really horrible! You'd think that the program that Olympus includes with their CD would operate smoothly with their camera... but it doesn't with my computer! I'm at a loss....

Zepher
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 08:47
post the model number of the camera so I can look up the specs on it.
My Nikon Coolpix 5400 makes quicktime movies and they play very smooth.

In2Photos
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 08:51
The default player for your files has been set to QuickTime. To change this, right click the file you want to play and select Open With, Choose Program. A new window will open. Select Windows Media Player to open the file but make sure you check the box that says, "Always use this to open file type". You could also open Windows Media Player, choose file, open and select the file you want to view.

The problem you might be having though is that your new camera might not take great movies. My Olympus didn't capture sound and the video was horrible.

tharmon
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 19:34
post the model number of the camera so I can look up the specs on it.
My Nikon Coolpix 5400 makes quicktime movies and they play very smooth.

Model Number: Olympus SP-700

Thanks!!! Tom

tharmon
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 19:37
The problem you might be having though is that your new camera might not take great movies. My Olympus didn't capture sound and the video was horrible.

Could be.. but this is a very recent, if not the most recent, model Olympus in its catagory. I'd be surprised if it doesn't take good movie clips.

tharmon
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 19:40
The default player for your files has been set to QuickTime. To change this, right click the file you want to play and select Open With, Choose Program. A new window will open. Select Windows Media Player to open the file but make sure you check the box that says, "Always use this to open file type".

I don't understand... Do you think I should be able to use both QuickTime and Windows Media Player to play the movies I take with the Olympus camera?... its just an issue of which program you chose to use??? Thanks.. Tom

md_129
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 19:52
Just as Mike stated it sounds like your file type associations got changed when installing the new software.

Zepher
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 22:43
According to dpreview, your camera makes quicktime videos at these resolutions:
• 640 x 480
• 320 x 240
• 160 x 120
• With sound

File formats

• Still: JPEG
• Movie: QuickTime Motion JPEG
• Sound: WAV

The Windows Media player I have doesn't play quicktime videos.