PDA

View Full Version : Flash or Strobes

arhuranna
28th of February 2006 (Tue), 22:35
I have been enjoying reading through this site and was wondering when doing group and formal shots before the ceremony if most use a flash such as the 580EX or strobes such as AB's? I have done one wedding with the 550EX and it worked good.

tim
1st of March 2006 (Wed), 04:45
Strobes are a bunch of hastle, i've used them once at a wedding, and based on the results i'd only do it again if I really really needed a lot of power. Photos done with strobes come out so sharp, but at weddings without an assistant you have to look at the time things take, and what you're missing while you're setting these things up. Group photos are some of the less interesting photos of the day.

ricohcam01
1st of March 2006 (Wed), 06:12
I have been enjoying reading through this site and was wondering when doing group and formal shots before the ceremony if most use a flash such as the 580EX or strobes such as AB's? I have done one wedding with the 550EX and it worked good.

I shoot both and I also use a second shooter so the hastles are not that big. You should let the situation dictate your actions. If the group shots are inside I would suggest the strobs. Another thing is how many people are standing I find with a flash you may not get the coverage if there are a lot of people in the photos.

arhuranna
1st of March 2006 (Wed), 20:22
Thanks for the advice.

DocFrankenstein
3rd of March 2006 (Fri), 09:14
About 90% of all the photogs I see shooting weddings at banquet halls use monolights with umbrellas. They do have an assistant and those are NOT budget weddings.