PDA

View Full Version : DARK IMAGES IXUS II

drizzdo
10th of August 2003 (Sun), 16:48
I read a lot of post about this topic and haven't had an answer. I bought in Japan an IXY Digital 30 (IXUS II). When taking pictures the images look fine on the LCD. But they appear dark on the computer screen. So as the avi files (movies).
I read extensively about the Gamma setting of the monitor and I have tried three different computer: same result.
Strangely the pictures were displyed correctly on a japanese version of Windows!!!!
Does this mean that my camera is set up to work on a Japanese computer! (it's not a joke...)...
Please help me I am tired of correcting the gamma in photoshop (2.0) and not been able to see my movies correctly.
drizz

digitri
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 03:09
Please adjust your monitor till you can see the differences between all these gray scale from A to Z, (or at least from B to Y):

http://digi.rpc1.com/photos/grayscale.gif

You probably just need more brightness, which you can set at the monitor or at your video card display card settings. Keep in mind that in a bright room you'll need other settings than in a dark room.

-digitri

drizzdo
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 03:18
Hi...
I can't see the picture, maybe you can send me the link (drizzdo@yahoo.fr).
Although I have tried many times the brightness tweaking, launching the Adobe gamma settings. What I don't understand is why pictures imported from the SD card reader/camera would be dark and other pictures (from the net) would be fine. If it were a monitor pb, then all pictures should be dark right!
I tried to 'push' the brightness to the highest. I do get better looking pictures, but the screen is so bright I can't even look at it....
Is there nothing in the camera settings that could have gone wrong?
p

digitri
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 03:36
This image appears in Phill Askey's first page of all camera reviews, eg yours:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd100/ look at the bottom of the page

And in this page you can see how to set the exposure compensation (Exp. Comp) of your camera in the section "FUNC":
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd100/page5.asp check that it's on 0 on normal situations.

But if all your pictures are dark even on Auto mode and other pictures showing well on your monitor, there might be something wrong with your camera.

mike j
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 10:51
I have also noticed this with my IXUS400, mainly when taking night shots or indoor photos using flash.

i.e. the photo looks fine on the LCD screen but a lot darker on the monitor once downloaded, so I then have to increase the brightness in Photoshop often resulting in a less-than-satisfactory picture.

I have tried setting my monitor brightness on max and my LCD brightness on min, but the difference is still noticeable !

I would really like to be confident that if the photo looks OK on the LCD, then it'll look fine on the PC without the need for touching up.

I'll try adjusting my monitor to the scale mentioned above to see if that's the problem.

Mike.

drizzdo
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 12:02
I think it is a problem with a lot of canon cameras, the C30, the IXUS 400 and IXUS Digital II are a few examples. I just took pictures in the dark (no ugly-in-the-face flash) of my friend, they look fine on the LCD. When displayed on the screen I had a hard time believing it was this picture.

Literally it does not disturb me spending hours correcting all the photo (more or less, I have to add 2.0 to the gamma correction). But the movies, when taken in low light, are just appalling quality-wise. Although they, once again appear clear on a TV or the LCD. The only software that play them is Quicktime for which you have to pay 40 euros to get a version which allows for adjusting the brightness. Media Player play them only on XP... ooo that really pisses me off

Tomorrow I will collect from the photo shop a test print to see if this is corrected when printed. If not I will have a 'serious discussion' with canon sales and support.

Thanks for the posts
Paul

mike j
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 15:07
drizzdo wrote:

the movies, when taken in low light, are just appalling quality-wise. Although they, once again appear clear on a TV or the LCD. The only software that play them is Quicktime for which you have to pay 40 euros to get a version which allows for adjusting the brightness. Media Player play them only on XP... ooo that really pisses me off

I have no problem playing the .avi movies from my IXUS400 with Windows Media Player 9 (I'm running Windows 98SE)

Does the IXUS II not produce .avi files ?

Try upgrading Media Player if you've got an older version - maybe that will help ?

Mike.

drizzdo
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 15:12
No, I do have the latest version (9). Apparently the codex that allows to play Quicktime avi is not installed in the pack for Windows 2000. Or I am maybe just unlucky...
well at least I do have some relief, I did not pay full price my canon since I bought it in Japan for half price. But still I would expect to get a better product from such a company as Canon.
p

mike j
11th of August 2003 (Mon), 18:15
I've only ever needed Quicktime for .mov files - Media Player should easily cope with .avi files. If you're missing a particular codec and can find out which one, a quick search on the web should provide you with it.

To upgrade your version of Media Player, simply select 'Help/Check For Player Updates' and upgrade it for free.

Anyway, back to monitor/LCD brightness !

I have just recalibrated my monitor using the Adobe Gamma feature in Control Panel and I can distinguish the whites on the chart above, but the blacks V - Z all look the same and no other adjusting on the monitor itself seems to make any difference.

Am I the only one with problems at the darker end of the scale ?
I'd like to know before I continue lightening all my flash photos unnecessarily on the PC !

Mike.

drizzdo
13th of August 2003 (Wed), 05:56
Ok I know now.
Yes the images are dark, but this is only because for some reason, the JPEG you take with the camera are set up to work good on a mac. And for the PC user you do have to tune your monitor so that the midtones are displayed correctly. Although, it can only be a compromise between a two clear screen or to dark picture. Once again this does not happen on a mac.
When printed, the pictures look fine.
In short, if you buy a canon camera, you'd better have a mac... which is probably why the avi are Quicktime avi....

drizz