PDA

View Full Version : 4x6 Costco Prints are cropped!

rkamlesh
17th of August 2003 (Sun), 02:05
Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.

PacAce
17th of August 2003 (Sun), 08:54
rkamlesh wrote:
Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.

I'm afraid that the G3 uses the old video standard aspect ratio of 4:3 so you're always going to lose some parts of your picture if you print in any other formats such as 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8x12, etc. The only print you'll be able to make without any unwanted cropping is a 3x4 or a 6x8 (or any others with a 4:3 ratio).

If you don't want the printers to arbitrarily crop your pictures to fit the format, you should edit the picture yourself and crop it to the correct aspect ratio for the print format you want before taking it to the printers.

Calboy
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 11:35
I had the same thing happen to me and almost all of the heads were cut off of my pictures. I am glad you posted this

Cal

freakboy
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 13:30
how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy

msvadi
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 14:43
freakboy wrote:
how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy

There are many ways to do that. I use the crop tool in Photoshop with preset values 2272 x 1515 or 1515 x 2272 pixels. This way it's easy to choose what parts of the image should be cropped.

vatey
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 17:29
to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY

civis
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 17:29
freakboy wrote:

JPEGCrops works pretty well (and it's free). Just do a search for:

JPEGCrops

msvadi
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 18:45
vatey wrote:
to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY

I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.

Man-Fai Wong
30th of September 2003 (Tue), 19:38
Go w/ Civis' suggestion of JPEGCrops here:

http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

It's a fast, easy way to crop lots of JPEGs w/out losing quality due to recompression, if you don't need to do any touch up. If you use Photoshop (or most other standard image editors), they will probably recompress your JPEGs and lose some quality.

Another alternative, but less elegant, freeware cropper is JPEGCrop. You can find it here:

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/ (for original version)

http://www.enotes.de/twiki/bin/view.pl/Notes/JpegTools (for easier 4x6 cropping)

_Man_

WallyBeavis
21st of October 2003 (Tue), 15:32
FYI:
I've noticed that sam's club does this too. For quickie/gotta have it now, prints I rotate my images 90 deg (laying them on their side), and the prints usually come out decent enough. Of course this only works for a few images, unless you want stand there are their kiosk for a few hours :-)

cheers,
Wally

Man-Fai Wong
21st of October 2003 (Tue), 20:45
msvadi wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.

Just reread and noticed this suggestion. It's a good way to go if you really don't want to crop, and you could also choose something other than white to suit the image (or eventual frame). For borderless prints, I'd go for something dark, eg. black or the dominant color around the outer parts of the image or that faded into black, but that would require a bit more work though.

Personally, I do often try to shoot for the wider 4x6 ratio because I often prefer the wider scope for my style (and would crop for wider compositions). To see what I mean, check out the new gallery I recently set up on PBase (finally!): http://www.pbase.com/mandnwong. Many images were shot for wider composition although a couple were not, but still ended up cropped that way.

_Man_

Elliott
26th of October 2003 (Sun), 06:09
I have used a couple of web photo services to make some 4 X 6 prints of some of my digital photos taken with my G3. I noticed that Wal Mart cropped my photos slightly from top to bottom. Yes, I tried Wal~Mart's online digital photo processing against my better judgement, knowing how I have often disliked their quality of photo processing in the past. The photo print quality was "OK", but I didn't expect the crop, and don't remember seeing an option to adjust for it on their upload page. Now, I also uploaded a handful of digital photos to be processed into 4 X 6 prints by Shutterfly, and their upload screen has the option to adjust the crop of each photo that I uploaded. At least with Shutterfly I could be sure that what I wanted in the print was actually going to be in the print. No cutting off the tops of someone's head or that sort of thing. I don't know how many online photo processing sites offer the ability to make this kind of adjustment when you send them work, but I think it's a good thing if they do.

yallcome
28th of October 2003 (Tue), 00:00
Here's a place that offers 4xD prints with paper cut to match the digital dimensions:

http://www.clubphoto.com/popups/what_is_4xd.php

walkien
28th of October 2003 (Tue), 15:54
Open PS7

1. Select "Crop" tool
2. In the "crop" tool option bar, enter the size (width and height) you like 6X4,4X5, 5x7.....etc
3. open a picture you like to crop.
4. Click within your photo with the crop tool and drag out a cropping border.

Hope this will help.

ps. You can also preset different sizes in the crop tool, so you don't have to change it all the time.

Default9
28th of October 2003 (Tue), 16:46
In photoshop, my way: select
>rectangular marquee tool.
>style: fixed aspect ratio. 2:3
>select the area you want to crop.
>image>crop

greetz.

cheesemonkeyboy
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 08:11
Here's what I've determined to be the cause of Costco performing large crops:

Photos need to have the correct ratio!

Of course, even if you upload the exact dimensions, your photo will be very slightly cropped (since they can't/won't print out to the very edge of your photo). But, I hope this helps others figure out why their digital photos are getting chopped up so badly!

If you scan their site, they have this info:
Print Size / Minimum image resolution required
4 x 6 / 640x426 pixels
5 x 7 / 1050x750 pixels
8 x 10 / 1280x1024 pixels

So, to calculate what size your picture needs to be in to keep Costco from badly cropping your photo, you must first decide what print size you want (4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 or ???). Then before uploading your picture to Costco, figure out the size and crop yourself (since standard digital camera resolutions are, in general, "too big" for printing). A 4x6 needs to be at "1.5", a 5x7 at "1.4", and an 8x10 at "1.25". [Just divide the length (the higher number) by the width (the lower number) to arrive at the correct ratio.]
FOR A 4x6 PRINT: 640 426 = 1.5
FOR A 5x7 PRINT: 1050 750 = 1.4
FOR A 8x10 PRINT: 1280 1024 = 1.25
11x14 = 1.4
12x18 = 1.5
16x20 = 1.25
20x30 = 1.5

So, lets say your digital camera takes photos at 3.2 megapixel, or 2048x1536:
- You want a 4x6? Take 2048 and divide it by 1.5 = 1365. For a 4x6 your 3.2 megapixel camera shot needs to be cropped down, by yourself, to 2048x1365.
- A 5x7? 2048 1.4 = 1463. You need to crop your photo down to 2048x1463
- A 8x10? Just a little different math = 1536 x 1.25 = 1920. To print an 8x10, your 3.2 megapixel 2048x1536 original digital photo would need to be cropped down to 1920x1536.

I hope this make sense to those who read this. Maybe easier for some of you is to utilize Costco's cropping tool = will show you, based upon the print size you desire, what will be cropped.

SuzyView
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 08:15
I went to the computer at Sam's yesterday to get portraits printed up. I took my CD with 8.2 mp photos. They uploaded fine and if you use their software to crop, you will get it right every time. Now, I don't think you can do that at Costco's on line. You have to get the dimensions right before you send them. If you have problems with the cropping, just go to Costco and use their computer to get the right crop. The use the same computers as Sam's.

SuzyView

Terrywoodenpic
10th of January 2006 (Tue), 14:35
Quite a few printers in the UK give the option of printing them to the aspect ratio on 4 inch wide paper, Ifind this better than cropping them.
I do this when I make my own laser prints.
It gives a squarer print but you dont lose anything.
I would try asking your printer, I am sure they are using the same machines as here.

Terry

cheesemonkeyboy
29th of January 2007 (Mon), 04:15
I went to the computer at Sam's yesterday to get portraits printed up. I took my CD with 8.2 mp photos. They uploaded fine and if you use their software to crop, you will get it right every time. Now, I don't think you can do that at Costco's on line. You have to get the dimensions right before you send them. If you have problems with the cropping, just go to Costco and use their computer to get the right crop. The use the same computers as Sam's.

SuzyView

SuzyView - yes, you can crop within Costco's online site = it is in their "Fix and enhance" section...

markubig
29th of January 2007 (Mon), 13:07
Why not just choose the 4x6 cropping tool in photoshop? you do realize this thread is over 3 years old :rolleyes:

Titus213
29th of January 2007 (Mon), 13:43
Wow, I never would have thought cropping an image to 1200x1800 (4x6 @ 300dpi) would be such a big deal. My local Costco wants 300dpi. I've never noticed any cropping of that dimension in the hundreds of prints they've done.

Also note that the dimensions given above are the MINIMUM size for images. Below that the print quality will deteriorate.

cheesemonkeyboy
29th of January 2007 (Mon), 15:12
Why not just choose the 4x6 cropping tool in photoshop? you do realize this thread is over 3 years old :rolleyes:

markubig - of course you could choose the 4x6 cropping tool in photoshop, if you have photoshop. However, I'm sure you know that most beginner and amatuer digital photographers do not own (or legally own) photoshop, so a 4x6 cropping tool in photoshop can't help them!

And, even though this thread is over 3 years old, it still shows up extremely well (2nd result) with a very basic Google search of "costco cropped" - so posts here are hopefully/probably helping others...