PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple way to re-number photos

PaintballPhotography.com
3rd of April 2006 (Mon), 17:47
Greetings

Is there a utility to renumber photos? I was at a shoot over the weekend where I shot about 4000 pictures on five memory cards. I usually set my 1D Mark II to continuous but I accidentally let it on auto reset and now I have several pictures with the same number. Is there an easy way to number all these pictures continuously? I know I have read of several utilities do this along with other post processing functions but I am only looking for something simple to restore continuous numbering to my photos

Thanks in Advance

YARRO
3rd of April 2006 (Mon), 17:59
I've tried several, but the best programme I've come across is Lupas Rename.
It's freeware and you can find it here: http://www.azheavymetal.com/~lupasrename/lupasrename.php
hard to find a better proggie that does the trick as well as this one does.

4jallday
3rd of April 2006 (Mon), 21:13
I've tried several, but the best programme I've come across is Lupas Rename.
It's freeware and you can find it here: http://www.azheavymetal.com/~lupasrename/lupasrename.php
hard to find a better proggie that does the trick as well as this one does.
I just tried this and it only let me change file name not my jpgs.

basroil
3rd of April 2006 (Mon), 21:47
if you know a bit of programming and have microsoft word (or vb), you can make your own renaming macro (or program). just preset the number and names of folders with the files (if you took 5 IMG_0001 pictures, that means you have 5 folders, so label them folder 1, folder 2, etc), then count up the number of items in first folder, then rename using rename function that's built in (so you have a variable x that holds # of pictures, so rename with "IMG_"+str(x) then extension) when one folder is done, move to next. if the memory cards have pictures that are out of order, it gets more complicated....

well, the short answer would be: "you can do it yourself, but it would require you to know basic programming, or know someone that can do it"

René Damkot
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 03:25
I renumber files in iView MediaPro. Sort 'em by capture date, press 'apple-Y', fill in the name you want, and off it goes. Also a brilliant program for catalogueing / managing EXIF / IPTC data.

Richard_Miami
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 07:54
If you are using Windows - you can do it yourself with no other program needed. Highlight all of the files in the folder you wish to rename and number (highlight the top one then hold down the Shift key and highlight the bottom one)

Then RIGHT click the top file and rename it like this:
OLD NAME: IMAGE_10235.jpg
NEW NAME: Photo shoot October 2004 (001).jpg

or whatever you wish to rename it... put the # in parentheses.

click on the background and Windows will sequentially rename and renumber all the highlighted files. The number in parens will automatically go in sequence.

Two tips:
1. Don't forget the jpg (or other file name - this works on all files)
2. Don't forget the 00's before the 1. If you are doing more than 999 files at a time, label the first file 0001. This is needed so that the photos do not renumber as 1, 10, 11, etc..then 2, 20, 21, etc.

With a little practice, this is easy as pie. I hope this is helpful.

Choderboy
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 09:37
If you are using Windows - you can do it yourself with no other program needed. Highlight all of the files in the folder you wish to rename and number (highlight the top one then hold down the Shift key and highlight the bottom one)

click on the background and Windows will sequentially rename and renumber all the highlighted files. The number in parens will automatically go in sequence.

Two tips:
2. Don't forget the 00's before the 1. If you are doing more than 999 files at a time, label the first file 0001. This is needed so that the photos do not renumber as 1, 10, 11, etc..then 2, 20, 21, etc.

I'd say extremely helpfull :)

jdkeck
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 13:18
Adobe Bridge in Photoshop CS2 has a batch rename function. Very easy to use.

Jeff

Choderboy
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 13:40
I'd say extremely helpfull :)

Except I cannot make this work!
I have just tried on 2 PCs : one with XP Pro SP1 , other machine has Win 200 SP4.

Any ideas?

Richard_Miami
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 14:23
Except I cannot make this work!
I have just tried on 2 PCs : one with XP Pro SP1 , other machine has Win 200 SP4.

Any ideas?

It may be Win2000. I am running XP. Sorry. What do you see when you say it doesn't work? PM me with specifics, maybe I can help.

Choderboy
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 16:35
Thanks Richard , I got it.
It happens more automatically than I thought.

Richard_Miami
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 17:29
::Richard tips his hat and takes a bow::

MazerRakhm
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 19:47
I've used a very simple freeware program called RNameIt for quite some time. It's easy to use with a lot of functionality, and will work on any type of file.

http://www.alltheshareware.com/Rnameit-Software-66629.html

jrsforums
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 00:09
Check out the freeware DIM 4 http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

Normally this is used to copy from CF card to system and rename while doing it, but there is no reason why it will not do the same from one folder to another. It uses EXIF data, or user input to rename the images....lots of options.

When I download my images, I rename them to YYYY-MM-DD_HH.MM.SS-xx (where XX will be a sequential number if multiple shot within one second).

I think you will find it very easy to use...for this problem and in the future.

John

BTW...for just a generic rename program, I have not checked them all out, but I have found this freeware program to be very functional and easy to use: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Tdragone
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 00:56
The BEST free slick little app I've ever used:
http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

In realtime it will show what it will rename your files before you actually do it!

benca1
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 01:21
you know, I used to use Linux with my G3 and LOVED the workflow. I created one very simply script to download images from the CF card, rename them the date from EXIF extraction, then resize the images for thumbnails and make a web page, index.html. file on the fly... I know I'm bragging now.. but then it would open the CD-R and request media for backing up.

It wasn't more then 30 lines.

Anyhoo, aside from polishing my own ego in a disgusting way on a public forum, I recommend looking into command line tools. It's a very simple command to edit the names of files in batches within Windows.

jrsforums
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 08:01
you know, I used to use Linux with my G3 and LOVED the workflow. I created one very simply script to download images from the CF card, rename them the date from EXIF extraction, then resize the images for thumbnails and make a web page, index.html. file on the fly... I know I'm bragging now.. but then it would open the CD-R and request media for backing up.

It wasn't more then 30 lines.

Anyhoo, aside from polishing my own ego in a disgusting way on a public forum, I recommend looking into command line tools. It's a very simple command to edit the names of files in batches within Windows.

That's great and you deserve praise. However, I rather just use the pre-written DIM 4

joayne
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 10:26
The BEST free slick little app I've ever used:
http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

In realtime it will show what it will rename your files before you actually do it!
I suppose it could be a nice program, but going to a website that inundates me with pop up windows and messages to click here now just chaps my hide :evil:

Richard_Miami
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 09:25
Here is the Microsoft link to the method I recommended. It contains screen shots and very simple directions.

No other shareware or freeware needed!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/renamephotos.mspx

rdsmith3
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 12:21
Richard

Thanks for the tip!

codex0
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 12:26
I'd say try this - it can do just about anything.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

klmigut
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 12:27
For me, by far the easiest way is to batch renumber in Photoshop (using the file bowse or picbridge)

tommykjensen
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 12:28
Have a look at this one:

http://www.kellysoftware.com/software/Rename4u.asp

Freeware.

davidfig
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 18:33
Canon's Digital Photo Professional has a simple rename feature in it that I use all the time.

Halliday
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 20:33
I suppose it could be a nice program, but going to a website that inundates me with pop up windows and messages to click here now just chaps my hide :evil:

I followed the link and had no pop-ups. I'm not using IE either ;)

VBWhiz
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 21:14
The free image management software from Google called Picasa will batch rename files. It also does a whole lot more for searching, catagorizing, simple editing, great software for the price.

benca1
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 22:56
Let me ask everyone;

How do you decide *what* to name rename to? Is it by time? Location?

topeju
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:09
I just rename according to time, since that can easily be done automatically. I place the files in subdirectories by year, month and day (yyyy\mm\dd), and rename them as yyyymmdd-hhmmss-nnnn, where nnnn is the number of the original image file. This keeps file names unique even if I shoot bursts, but also helps in identifying a particular image faster in a directory (I only have to remember four digits rather than the exact time). After I've downloaded the photos from one shoot, I just go back and rename the daily subdirectory to append a short description (location, event, or subject) to it.

benca1
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:23
I just rename according to time, since that can easily be done automatically. I place the files in subdirectories by year, month and day (yyyy\mm\dd), and rename them as yyyymmdd-hhmmss-nnnn, where nnnn is the number of the original image file. This keeps file names unique even if I shoot bursts, but also helps in identifying a particular image faster in a directory (I only have to remember four digits rather than the exact time). After I've downloaded the photos from one shoot, I just go back and rename the daily subdirectory to append a short description (location, event, or subject) to it.

Ahhh. that's a great system!

Southswede
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:34
Here is the Microsoft link to the method I recommended. It contains screen shots and very simple directions.

No other shareware or freeware needed!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/renamephotos.mspx

Thanks Richard!

19mike43
7th of August 2007 (Tue), 15:47

Two tips:

Hi Richard
Your post last year gave me hope when I came upon it recently, I have tried your solution but it only works up to a point for me.
I can't get the extra zero's to be included in the 2nd, 3rd etc., pics.
This procedure for me shows Filename+(001) on the renamed first picture, but then Filename+(2), Filename+(3), etc., for subsequent pictures. (I am still using XP, sp2)
Where am I going wrong?
Regards
Mike

Richard_Miami
7th of August 2007 (Tue), 16:36
I will check when I get home tonight and try to post the solution for ya.

19mike43
7th of August 2007 (Tue), 17:20
I will check when I get home tonight and try to post the solution for ya.

Hi Richard
Many thanks for your quick response.
I have just noticed your other post re the Microsoft solution/link.

On checking their site I can just see in their rather poor screen shots that their procedure does not include the leading zeros either!

To recap, I can sort my pic's (from two cameras) by 'Date Picture Taken' in Windows Explorer (View/Choose Details/Date Picture Taken), but can't retain that 'Date Picture Taken' sort order if I subsequently try to rename them in Photoshop CS.

CS displays the pics - 1, 10, 2, 20 etc., in the Browse/View before
Batch Renaming can be carried out. And of course I lose the 'Date Picture Taken' sort order.

Regards
Mike
Yorkshire, UK.

Richard_Miami
7th of August 2007 (Tue), 18:45
Mike...

I am stumped... I see exactly what you see.. if I rename Pic (001) - it drops the leading zeroes for the remainder - Pic (2), Pic (3) , etc. I am also on XP SP2. My notes originally indicate that it did.. but I believe that it will notretain the leading Zeroes for me either. YET, it did a year ago. I have NOT IDEA what MS changed. I will investigate more, but I am not hopeful. BTW - I don't use that method anymore. I use CS3 to rename and organize the pics.

Oddly, my CS processed files are showing both with and without "Date picture taken" info in Windows. That might have to do with whether or not I used "Save for Web" or not. I will keep drilling into this as well.

BTW - Welcome to the Forum!