PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Anyone??

Pages : [1] 2

Maureen Souza
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 15:56
We have talked about a trip to Yosemite and I would like to get the ball rolling. For people who would like to stay overnight in the park or nearby, you need to have a date and get your reservations.

So, I was thinking the weekend of June 24th.

Memorial Day and Father's Day are over and school is out. There is a ton of late snowpack this year so the waterfalls will be amazing through July.

Any feedback or other suggestions welcome.

Marvinspu36
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 15:59
Rats. I won't be able to make it. The good news is I'll be sunning in Maui at that time!:) I'll keep checking back to see if the date changes.

Maureen Souza
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 16:04
I hate to go later than June as Yosemite Valley temperatures get up to the 90's in July and August.

greg20d
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 17:13
yes temps are up and water flow is down after june ....:)

Belmondo
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 17:19
These are usually the beginnings of long, drawn-out negotiations with the War Department. I'll mention it, but don't expect an answer until we see whether or not Nordstroms and Macy's are having sales that weekend.

ayotnoms
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 18:17
These are usually the beginnings of long, drawn-out negotiations with the War Department.
I'm guessing that's not one of her favorite titles...I know my Mom didn't much care for it although she was an expert in guerilla warfare and close quarters combat :)

Here's a tip. Tell her you want to attend a POTN meet up in New Zealand. Insist that you MUST go and won't take no for an answer. When she digs in for a long siege, feign surrender and tell her, "All right, Yosemite then".

You can do it. I know you can do it. :) :)

Belmondo
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 19:23
I'm guessing that's not one of her favorite titles...I know my Mom didn't much care for it although she was an expert in guerilla warfare and close quarters combat :)

Here's a tip. Tell her you want to attend a POTN meet up in New Zealand. Insist that you MUST go and won't take no for an answer. When she digs in for a long siege, feign surrender and tell her, "All right, Yosemite then".

You can do it. I know you can do it. :) :)

There is risk in that, Steve. I might suggest New Zealand and she might say 'Yes.' I don't want to go to New Zealand. Those people are crazy.:rolleyes:

ayotnoms
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 19:31
well, there's that.
Why a nation of people would adopt as a nickname a type of flightless bird...well that kinda sez it all.

Here's a joke that should get the flame wars started:
A Bloke is having a quiet drink in a bar, leans over to the big guy next to
him and says: "Do you wanna hear a Kiwi joke?"

The big guy replies: "Well, mate, before you tell that joke, you should know
something. I'm six feet tall, 105 kgs and I played rugby as a forward for
the All Blacks. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2", weighs 115 kgs and he's
an ex All Black lock. Next to him is a bloke who's 6'5", weighs 120kgs and
he's a current All Black second rower.

Now, do you still want to tell that Kiwi joke?"

The first bloke says: "Nah, not if I'm going to have to explain it three
times."

:lol:

ayotnoms
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 19:34
Disclaimer on previous post:
Tongue in cheek, guys.
No Kiwis should be so offended that they jump on a plane and fly here for the sole purpose of beating the bejabbers outta me.
:eek: :)

newgenphoto
4th of April 2006 (Tue), 20:28
I really want to hook up on this shoot. My ONLY problem is that my wife is due June 22nd!!! SO, would an earlier time be possible????

Maureen Souza
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 01:19
Sure, Jasen. If the date doesn't work ( and it won't for everyone) you can throw out another one and see who bites.

We are going to be in Greece from May 20th to June 6th. I don't know if we'll have much oomph going the weekend after we get home.

Maureen Souza
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 01:20
Tongue in cheek, guys.
No Kiwis should be so offended that they jump on a plane and fly here for the sole purpose of beating the bejabbers outta me.

Ah, Steve... I am so looking forward to dealing with your wit and sarcasm in person;) ;) ;) ;) Can't wait..............

Sam
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 09:39
Thge date looks good on my end. My daughter is going to be visiting Grandma this summer for a bit and we can drop Jackson off with the other Grandma so it should be pretty easy for us.

I'll check with Tessa and verify. I love the waterfalls that time of year! Bring a plastic bag and umbrella to protect your gear :)

Sam
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 09:39
I really want to hook up on this shoot. My ONLY problem is that my wife is due June 22nd!!! SO, would an earlier time be possible????

I was present for the birth of both of our kids. Bring her along I can deliver if you need it on the trip :D

Belmondo
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 09:48

Solinger's offer is very generous. The other option is to induce labor a week or two ahead of time. What really maters is the melting of the snowpack. j/k

Trying to pick a time that's acceptable to the greatest number of people is always problematic. I think the best anyone can do is just pick a date and let the chips fall where they may. I think that's what happened with the Cambria trip after days of discussion on a possible date. It all worked out.

Best of luck to you, your wife, and the new family member.

Kevin
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 10:12
These are usually the beginnings of long, drawn-out negotiations with the War Department. I'll mention it, but don't expect an answer until we see whether or not Nordstroms and Macy's are having sales that weekend.

Rumor has it they built a huge shopping mall in Yosemite with a Nordstroms and Macy's and the grand opening is June 24th. What a coincidence!!:lol:

That date works for us (so far). Better bring our raincoats for Yosemite falls.

thomascanty
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 12:33
I don't know how this one will work for me. A few others at work already have vacations around this time period. I'll have to wait until the date has been cemented (or was that already a firm date?) before I can tell for sure.

greg20d
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 16:33
Jason whats the problem she is having the baby not you ....lol
I will try to make it let me know the date so my wife can try to make it too.

greg

greg20d
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 16:35
26th if that were true my wife wouldnt miss it ...although she isnt much of a shopper .................................................. ...........she is howevr a BUYER....lol

Maureen Souza
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 18:10
Awww Jasen...you disappoint me. I am an RN and have assisted in several births in my life.:):)

If she is overdue, all that walking should induce labor and you can zip her down the mountain in time to deliver.;) ;) :p

newgenphoto
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 20:31
LOL!!! I haven't checked the post all day and then I get on here tonight and everyone wants to deliver our new baby!!?? HAHAHA You guys and Gals all rock just to let you all know. What a great group of people. Hmmm.... baby under the falls.... this may just work. Talk about pictures huh??

I can just picture it now....solinger and Maureen calling out football calls....blue 22, blue 22, baby right, hut hut!!

ayotnoms
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 21:15
I agree with Tom. Pick a date and go for it. I'm sure there will be a good turnout. It worked for our Cambria photo meet.

Can someone tell me when they hold the bear rodeo? I'd hate to miss that

:)

Cybnew
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 21:38
I wont be able to make it :(

SuzyView
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 21:40
I would have loved a CA trip. My son still bugs me about seeing his old mission friends in San Jose. But we are going to UT this year, not even China, as we originally wanted. Next time. I will get a freebie ticket and meet up with you CA members. :)

Maureen Souza
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 01:00
LOL!!! I haven't checked the post all day and then I get on here tonight and everyone wants to deliver our new baby!!?? HAHAHA You guys and Gals all rock just to let you all know. What a great group of people. Hmmm.... baby under the falls.... this may just work. Talk about pictures huh??

I can just picture it now....solinger and Maureen calling out football calls....blue 22, blue 22, baby right, hut hut!!

Don't you mean Push Push Push, Jasen??? :D :D

Is this your first baby?

Kevin
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 10:41
Hey Jasen, with Maureen ready with her catchers mitt in hand and all us photographers covering the angles we'll have stories and photo's to post for days. I can see the headlines now......POTN MEMBERS IN YOSEMITE CATCH NEW BORN. A front page story in the Fresno Bee.:lol: :lol:

Belmondo
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 12:13
Hey Jasen, with Maureen ready with her catchers mitt in hand and all us photographers covering the angles we'll have stories and photo's to post for days. I can see the headlines now......POTN MEMBERS IN YOSEMITE CATCH NEW BORN. A front page story in the Fresno Bee.:lol: :lol:

Gimme' room! I'm bringing my 500 f/4, so everyone stand back.

Kevin
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 12:52
Maybe we should include a 16 inch Celestron with full tracking!!!

ayotnoms
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 12:56
No need to wait for the baby, I say we photograph Maureen now. She needs to put on her scrubs, a surgical mask, and a catchers mitt.
Maureen: it would make a great avatar. It's getting to that time change it again,no?

:lol:

newgenphoto
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 13:30
HAHAHA!!! I'm rolling here! Honestly, it's all great ideas and I agree, that's definatley Fresno bee headlines but heres what's funnier.. I actually mentioned & suggested it to my Wife!!! Guess her answer?? Yep, NO WAY!!

Anyway, If I can't make it this time I'm sure we'll coordinate something again in the future. We are doing a scheduled c-setion also because I have weddings to shoot the weekend before AND after the due date so we don't want to chance anything if you know what I mean. Oh well, I tried.... oh Maureen, thi sis our second one. My Daughter is three now and we are haveing a boy with this one.

A great baby shower gift would be a POTN black neck strap by the way...HAHA

newgenphoto
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 13:31
Gimme' room! I'm bringing my 500 f/4, so everyone stand back.

I'm jealous!!!

Reyno
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 13:40
Been there in all seasons, SPRING is the perfect time of the year to visit Yosemite. Waterfalls are spectacular. This year, though, you might want to check the weather forecast because CA is just getting hammered with late winter rain. Enjoy your vacation. Maui is always beautiful anytime of the year. Just got back from the Big Island last month. It wasn't that exciting because it rained the whole time I was there.

Kevin
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 18:03
HAHAHA!!! I'm rolling here! Honestly, it's all great ideas and I agree, that's definatley Fresno bee headlines but heres what's funnier.. I actually mentioned & suggested it to my Wife!!! Guess her answer?? Yep, NO WAY!!

Anyway, If I can't make it this time I'm sure we'll coordinate something again in the future. We are doing a scheduled c-setion also because I have weddings to shoot the weekend before AND after the due date so we don't want to chance anything if you know what I mean. Oh well, I tried.... oh Maureen, thi sis our second one. My Daughter is three now and we are haveing a boy with this one.

A great baby shower gift would be a POTN black neck strap by the way...HAHA

Well i guess I will have to cancel the order for the 16 inch Celestron with full tracking until another time. Sorry it won't work out for you this trip newgenphoto. Good luck with your new arrival and look forward to some posts in the near future.

weka2000
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 19:41
Tongue in cheek, guys.

Ok kiwis sharpen your beaks we off hunting, meet you all at the airport

Belmondo
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 19:48

My money's on the Kiwis. Sorry, Steve.

:lol::lol::lol:

MattL
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 19:50

We are not so flightless now!

tim
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 19:55
"Ma, get my gun" ;)

joeseph
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 19:57
Anyone seen my Gatling gun recently? Must pick up some ammo.....

dgcorner
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:10
Charge!!!

Belmondo
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:38
You're bluffing. It's summer there, and you don't want to come over here in the dead of winter. But if you do, this (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1205092&postcount=560) is the guy you're looking for.

Cybnew
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:39
Hey....I have seen that picture before! :)

Belmondo
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:48
Look. I'm not thrilled about dealing with a bunch of angry New Zealanders. I'm perfectly willing to offer up Steve for the sake of the rest of us.:lol:

Cybnew
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:50
How about this....You offer up Steve....ill come by on my new bike...luer them away...into a cave of BEARS!

Belmondo
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:54
How about this....You offer up Steve....ill come by on my new bike...luer them away...into a cave of BEARS!

Good idea. I think Dwight is busy, though.

saravrose
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 23:59
I just stumbled onto this.. Yosemite... never been there.... but, if there's a date enough in advance I can swing all kinds of free time for a worthy cause.

also known as............... I wanna go play with other photographers and take pictures of waterfalls... So, is anybody invited??

sari.

ayotnoms
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 00:15
You're bluffing. It's summer there, and you don't want to come over here in the dead of winter. But if you do, this (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1205092&postcount=560) is the guy you're looking for.
That's what I used to look like. If the kiwis want to hazard to a trip to the good ol USA (aka bad-ass central) they better be prepared for this (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1207555&postcount=648)
:evil: :evil:

Of course, if I travel to NZ I fully expect to be greeted with flowers, candy, and a variety of Marlborough wines.

That's just the way we Amurkins roll, ya feel me?

:) :)

ayotnoms
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 00:18
... So, is anybody invited??

sari.
Come on down. We'd be honored
:lol: :lol:

johnnybfan
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 00:52
Maureen, a Yosemite meet would be great. The only problem I have is that I'm not scheduled to get there until Monday, the 25th. :( We're not going to be able to get out of San Francisco until 4:30 or 5:00pm Sunday evening. So we won't be there until sometime Monday afternoon. It would be great to meet some of you. I haven't seen anyone with their POTN strap as of yet. Hopefully I'll get the chance.
I'm planning on getting over to Dante's restaurant to meet him & try out some of his world-famous food :)
Oh well, better to be close than to miss by a mile! :):)

johnnybfan
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 00:54
Maybe I'll get to see some of our Kiwi members. :)

CliveyBoy
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 06:38

Tell you wife to delay the birth...

Kiwi humour.

Cybnew
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 09:09
Are there going to be badges this time?

Sam
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 09:31
Are there going to be badges this time?:rolleyes:

Not for me, I'm allergic.

Maureen Souza
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 15:32
Whew!! My computer was down for a day and see what I come back on to!!!! :)

Saravrose...please try to come and join us! And anyone else who'd like to.

Johnnybfan: PM me the week before you leave and we'll try to arrange something. I work during the week but am off Friday-Monday. With a little notice, I might be able to swing something.

Jasen: A baby boy...how exciting... I have a soft heart for little boys. Can't wait to see some photos. Since we are practically neighbors, I have no worries that we can't meet up soon, even locally, for a day of shooting and photo chat. I actually work in Fresno.....:D

Steve, I'll wear scrubs for you anytime but not for my avatar. It's much more interesting watching me work than just be dressed for work, however.;) ;)

Mat: That bear cave sounds like a good place for the Kiwis to camp out:D :D :D

Kevin
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 20:43
Are there going to be badges this time?

OH YEA, BADGES. Can I have like a picture of a G&N star on mine??

Belmondo
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 21:42
OH YEA, BADGES. Can I have like a picture of a G&N star on mine??

Kevin:

Would you settle for a picture of a G&N moderator?

Maureen Souza
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 00:53
Kevin:

Ummmm, that would NOT be me:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

saravrose
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 01:02
this sounds like fun... soo many choices. I think I may skip out on late summer in Yellowstone in favor of Yosemite with POTN... the only problem might be a potential wedding I have lined up... But, I think that's on the 22.. so, if all goes well I take off work for that day and then jump in the car and head south.. But, I'll have to find a route that's pretty..any ideas?

sari.

Maureen Souza
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 01:17
this sounds like fun... soo many choices. I think I may skip out on late summer in Yellowstone in favor of Yosemite with POTN... the only problem might be a potential wedding I have lined up... But, I think that's on the 22.. so, if all goes well I take off work for that day and then jump in the car and head south.. But, I'll have to find a route that's pretty..any ideas?

sari.

Oh, get on a plane and we'll pick you up at Fresno/Yosemite Int'l airport. It's on the way to the park:D :D

saravrose
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 01:31
Oh, get on a plane and we'll pick you up at Fresno/Yosemite Int'l airport. It's on the way to the park:D :D

ohh.... a plane...... :confused: :confused: . I got on a plane like a year and a half ago...it kinda sucked... hmm.. all the same.. maybe I should google some prices.. fresno int'l airport.. gonna check it out..

sari.

20DNewbie
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 02:44
Oops, it seems the Americans have gotten the Kiwis riled up and some are on their way. Just got this from Google Earth, with the advanced features if you hover you can hear (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kiwi1iw.swf&width=320) them inside. :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

joeseph
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 03:46
Oops, it seems the Americans have gotten the Kiwis riled up and some are on their way.
Actually we just pleased they notice us... :lol:

Maureen Souza
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 11:53

Oh, we know you are there;) In fact, New Zealand is on our list of vacation spots and probably in 2 years we will be making a trip there.

Kraig C
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 12:36
Gotta vissit my friends in Sanora soon so I might convence them we need to go to the park. When will it happen?

Maureen Souza
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 12:39
We picked the weekend of June 24th, tentatively. I haven't heard any major protests so I think we'll keep the date.

weka2000
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 16:02
Oh, we know you are there;) In fact, New Zealand is on our list of vacation spots and probably in 2 years we will be making a trip there.

Come vist us in Auckland we will take care of you while your here.

Cybnew
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 21:48
Hey guys! I picked up my bike today!!!!!! and rode 13 miles! :)

Maureen Souza
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 01:10
Wow, Mat....how exciting. I think we may have walked 3 miles today...we missed you here in San Anselmo.

Cybnew
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 01:54
hehe...i actually found out...that it wasnt the 13 miles i had previously thought...it was actually between 16 and 17...im tired...but im doing it again tomorrow!

20DNewbie
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 04:56
Notice you, man when I was working with Kiwis they made such a great impression, so much so I started to look at land to buy, mainly on the South island in Nelson(wasn't sure if I could give up snowboarding completly).

Your all the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met, how can anyone in the world not love the Kiwis?

And you've happened to put out what I think is one of the best movies ever, Once Were Warriors. My Kiwi roomate couldn't believe it when he found out that I had seen it here in the States. LOL, we had the biggest apartment so all of the 30-35 Kiwis, a handful from Oz, and one Tazy would come over and we'd do the pub crawl, eventually the Kiwis would all break out and do a haka and we'd get tossed from the pub.

Great memories.:D

newgenphoto
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 09:31
Viva Las Vegas! I'm off to WPPI this morning folks. I have a lot of replys to add to this post though when I get back though!! : )
Everyone stay classy!

Jasen

Kevin
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 22:11
Kevin:

I suppose that will work. Or maybe that shot that we all missed at Bubba's. LOL

Belmondo
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 22:15
I suppose that will work. Or maybe that shot that we all missed at Bubba's. LOL

There are different kinds of cleavage. Some photograph better than others.

Maureen Souza
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 03:08
Off topic, off topic!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 13:32
OK....back on topic:oops: . We better stay away from the Badge thing. It didn't fly the first time either.:lol: :lol:

Tom_D
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 14:02
I can reconnoiter in May as we will be in Yosemite for a family get together.

We can't make June as we will be on our cruise to Alaska. :lol:

If we are in town the Napa POTN adventure will be easy for us. This is a beutiful time of year, if it isn't raining, with the mustard blooming in the vinyards but any time of year in nice here.

mbze430
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 14:30
So is this like a day trip up to the park? How is it working? Being in So cal, might have to stay a night the day before to even consider meeting up with the rest of the POTN clan.

Any additional info would be great. Like if anyone taking hikes (so I know what to bring)... and specific locations to shoot...etc..etc..

Maureen Souza
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 06:01
So is this like a day trip up to the park? How is it working? Being in So cal, might have to stay a night the day before to even consider meeting up with the rest of the POTN clan.

Any additional info would be great. Like if anyone taking hikes (so I know what to bring)... and specific locations to shoot...etc..etc..

Nah, we aren't going to be that fussy. The weather should be nice, some members will choose to do a lot more hiking than others and some will take more photos than others.

I say, pack your camera and a few lenses, throw a light jacket in the car and be prepared for anything.

If you are coming from a distance, you might want to stay overnight. Inside the park is a bit pricey but there are lot's of lesser expensive places in Oakhurst and Fish Camp. But hurry and make your reservations soon. Yosemite is a very popular summer spot.

Kevin
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 13:10
A check this morning for available Hotel rooms in Yosemite Valley, Fishcamp and Oakhurst. Not a room in sight. So if you are coming from the south then Fresno hotels and from the north it would be Merced hotels. Like Maureen said Yosemite is a popular place.

Wsman2
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 13:57
Unless I win today's state lottery ($58,000,000), or Friday's Mega-Millions ($220,000,000), or both, I'll be staying put since my wife and I are moving into a new home next week.

Belmondo
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 14:15
Unless I win today's state lottery ($58,000,000), or Friday's Mega-Millions ($220,000,000), or both, I'll be staying put since my wife and I are moving into a new home next week.

Wow! $278-million ought to just about buy you the median-priced home in the Bay Area. Congratulations on the new home.

Tom_D
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 14:15
A check this morning for available Hotel rooms in Yosemite Valley, Fishcamp and Oakhurst. Not a room in sight. So if you are coming from the south then Fresno hotels and from the north it would be Merced hotels. Like Maureen said Yosemite is a popular place.You might try Ceader Lodge (http://www.yosemite-motels.com/cedarlodge/index.htm). We are staying there in May.

JSolie
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 14:42
This is what I get for being busy... :cry:

And here I've been, planning on a road trip, that includes Yosemite, and it's for _before_ your get together date. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll tie my POTN strap around a tree and mark off a GPS location so that someone could retrieve it for me? ;)

I could be ornery and send my youngest up the tree (nimble little lemur that he his). But then some bird would probably try to retrieve it to use as a building block for it's nest... :p

-- John

cjsa
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 15:27
Gosh, I will be out west june 5-19, it was going to be the 17- july 3, but my job interfered.

Kevin
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 15:38
You might try Ceader Lodge (http://www.yosemite-motels.com/cedarlodge/index.htm). We are staying there in May.

I did and they are booked till the cows come home.

Wsman2
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 16:21
Wow! $278-million ought to just about buy you the median-priced home in the Bay Area. Congratulations on the new home.

Seriously....and thanks for the wishes. We found a 3BR/2BA manufactured home (mobile home) for $100,000.

mbze430
12th of April 2006 (Wed), 19:32
okay, I ain't going than....

Maureen Souza
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 01:04
The drive down to Madera is under an hour, Fresno is about an hour away if anyone wants to look for lodging there.
I have a big, open living room...if anyone wants to bring a sleeping bag, they can bunk on our floor and couches. We are 2 hours from the park but we are used to making that trip in a day.

Kevin
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 09:58
Your right Maureen, either Fresno or Madera is an easy drive. I Booked us a room at the Residence Inn and they take pets. We will be coming over Friday after work, we are not going to do what we did at Bubba's that was too much to fit into one day.

ayotnoms
13th of April 2006 (Thu), 16:07
I won't be able to make this one.

Here's hoping for a good turn out anyway guys

...and gals :lol:

greg20d
14th of April 2006 (Fri), 17:42
I was able to get a room in Oakhurst today ... @ B & B ...2 nights hope its still on ..hahahaha

Kevin
16th of April 2006 (Sun), 21:05
Hey Greg, does B&B stand for BUGS and BATS??:lol: :lol: :lol: That's great and yes it's still on.

Maureen Souza
17th of April 2006 (Mon), 05:23
Rooms are available here. I made reservations for Friday & Saturday nights.

http://http://www.houndstoothinn.com (http://www.houndstoothinn.com/index.html)

thomascanty
17th of April 2006 (Mon), 07:17
It looks like I won't be able to make it to this one.

Kevin
17th of April 2006 (Mon), 11:33
Rooms are available here. I made reservations for Friday & Saturday nights.

Anne and I bypassed this place because our experiences with Bed and Breakfast places is no accessibility for me. But I called just to make sure and they have a couple of rooms that will work. So I booked one for Friday and Sat. nights.:) :) :)

Maureen Souza
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 02:20
Okay...looks lke the date is solidified. June 24 &25 are Yosemite POTN days. If you can only make one day, c'mon... the picture taking will be awesome and the company good!

rok
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 02:50
are newbs allowed to come on the trip too?? young newbs at that??

Maureen Souza
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 03:39
are newbs allowed to come on the trip too?? young newbs at that??

You bet...check your PM.:D

Steve Parr
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 09:59
As luck would have it, and as seems to be the case more and more often, I'm going to be travelling on business while you folks are yuckin' it up in Yosemite.

Have fun; watch out for bears...

Maureen Souza
19th of April 2006 (Wed), 17:58
As luck would have it, and as seems to be the case more and more often, I'm going to be travelling on business while you folks are yuckin' it up in Yosemite.

Have fun; watch out for bears...

Man, Steve....you just aren't having any POTN fun. But I DO hope we see some bears:D

newgenphoto
20th of April 2006 (Thu), 00:06
This topic is killing me everyone. Maureen, looks like you had a lot of fun at Dante's!! That would of been a great trip to be on.....
You all have fun in Yo-si-mite...... I'm sure I'll catch up with the group one day... : (

Kraig C
20th of April 2006 (Thu), 20:33
LOL peak camping/mosquito season.

ayotnoms
21st of April 2006 (Fri), 00:00
LOL peak camping/mosquito season.
mosquitos?
Pack some extension tubes/macro lenses, no problem...a perfect macro photography opportunity.

Maureen Souza
21st of April 2006 (Fri), 01:26
mosquitos?
Pack some extension tubes/macro lenses, no problem...a perfect macro photography opportunity.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pass the DEET, please.

johnnybfan
22nd of April 2006 (Sat), 01:27
I jus happened to think of this. I'm hoping to visit Dante's diner when I'm in SanFrancisco June 22-24 and it dawns on me that he might be at the Yosemite meet while I'm there:confused: :confused: . Oh well, not to worry, I'll just visit the diner anyway. Since I won't get to Yosemite until the 26th maybe I'll see some of you on the road as we zip along in opposite directions.:) :) Well whatever:lol: :lol:

lakiluno
23rd of April 2006 (Sun), 06:05
damn you americans for having so many national parks and POTN members and for not being in Scotland so I can go...

greg20d
24th of April 2006 (Mon), 11:22
I thin k everyone is welcome ...come on over lakiluno we would love more people ...I have been looking at yosemite sites getting Ideas ..:)

I havent been in a few years ...and cant wait to make some great pictures...

Wsman2
25th of April 2006 (Tue), 10:36
damn you americans for having so many national parks and POTN members and for not being in Scotland so I can go...

How do you think we feel for not being in Scotland? ;)

Digitally_Altered
27th of April 2006 (Thu), 00:55
I too am new here, and gonna look into seeing if I can make it, sounds like it will be a good trip...

Maureen Souza
27th of April 2006 (Thu), 22:14
There is plenty room for everyone!

Remember: there is a $20 National Park fee to get in. If you plan on visiting a couple of days and maybe another trip to another Nat'l Park, purchase the $50 annual pass. It is good all year to any of the parks.

thomascanty
27th of April 2006 (Thu), 23:25
Remember: there is a $20 National Park fee to get in. If you plan on visiting a couple of days and maybe another trip to another Nat'l Park, purchase the $50 annual pass. It is good all year to any of the parks.

Just a quick kinda-correction about the "visiting a couple of days" part... The entry fee to Yosemite gives you access to the park for seven days. You don't need to buy an annual pass to keep returning during that period.

When did the posts here start showing the time they were posted? I like that!! One more gripe to cross off the list...

Digitally_Altered
28th of April 2006 (Fri), 00:05
I'm a card carryin' member... like to visit national parks...

Tsmith
28th of April 2006 (Fri), 07:18
Just now noticed this thread. We'll be out there June 10th ~ 17th _ just my luck to miss out on a POTN meet.

johnnybfan
28th of April 2006 (Fri), 21:25
Just now noticed this thread. We'll be out there June 10th ~ 17th _ just my luck to miss out on a POTN meet.

I know how it feels Bluedog: we're getting there on the 26th.:(:(:(

Skip Souza
29th of April 2006 (Sat), 01:57
I know how it feels Bluedog: we're getting there on the 26th.:(:(:(
26th of what???

johnnybfan
30th of April 2006 (Sun), 00:36
26th of what???

Sorry, June 26th

Kevin
1st of May 2006 (Mon), 21:42
I thin k everyone is welcome ...come on over lakiluno we would love more people ...I have been looking at yosemite sites getting Ideas ..:)

Hey greg, is your daughter coming also? She takes some preeetttttty mean pictures.:lol: :lol:

greg20d
1st of May 2006 (Mon), 22:45
well my wife is going to try ...if she cxant then my Daughter will ..:)

Maureen Souza
4th of May 2006 (Thu), 18:34
Okay... since Skip and I are going to be in the Mediterranean until June 6th, I am going to try to get this Yosemite trip organized.

There are 4 Visitor Centers in the Park but we are going to meet at the Visitor's Center in Yosemite Valley. It is near the Village Store and not very far from Yosemite Falls.
I have included a map but feel free to ask questions.

We will meet Saturday morning, June 24th at 10:00 a.m. at the Visitor Center. It will be daylight until almost 9p.m. so I am thinking for those who are driving a ways, that we should not try to meet too early.

Here are the driving directions: http://www.yosemite.org/visitor/trip.html#driving

My cell phone number is five five nine nine six seven two nine four seven if you have any questions or if I can be of any help to you.

Tsmith
5th of May 2006 (Fri), 07:13
Sorry, June 26th

Looks like you'll miss it by one day even though they moved it back _ right pass me > :(

DeltaWebb
6th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:54

Serioulsy! But I'm going to be backpacking there at the end of July...so no chance of my moving my dates, plus the whole "Need to have a permit to pack."

But you guys better be sure to post pics and notes on where they are so maybe I can at least visit the same places!

Have fun!

OdiN1701
8th of May 2006 (Mon), 18:00
Damnit Maureen...I saw this...and now I have to go methinks.

Just one saturday eh? But 10AM? Late start in my book :P

One question....meet at the visitor center? I would think the store near day parking might be better but that's just me.

Do you guys have a plan for where to go, etc?

Anyway...though I have quite a few pics of Yosemite....I can always use more :P

I may have a wedding close by that date though...I will have to check.

Belmondo
8th of May 2006 (Mon), 20:32
Our schedule over the next couple months is such that we can't commit to anything. If there is any way we can make it, if even only for a day, we'll do our best to be there.

Maureen Souza
9th of May 2006 (Tue), 03:14
Damnit Maureen...I saw this...and now I have to go methinks.

Just one saturday eh? But 10AM? Late start in my book :P

One question....meet at the visitor center? I would think the store near day parking might be better but that's just me.

Do you guys have a plan for where to go, etc?

Anyway...though I have quite a few pics of Yosemite....I can always use more :P

I may have a wedding close by that date though...I will have to check.

Some people will be driving in from a distance that day.... I wanted to give them ample time to get there. Besides, it will be light until 8:30 p.m. and there is always the next day available. I still think 10:00 is a reasonable hour.

If you want to meet at the market, that would be okay too. They are both close by. However, if you aren't sure you are going, please try not to alter the schedule too much. Thanks.

OdiN1701
9th of May 2006 (Tue), 11:45
I wasn't trying to change schedules or anything. I can always go up early and then meet everyone when you all get there at 10. I would stay another day but I don't think I could get reservations for any camp sites this late in the year - I will be checking.

To get into the non-reservation camps you have to be there early, and on a Saturday they still may all be full from Friday.

Sunrise on the 24th Im guessing is going to be between 5:20-5:40 (Yosemite is not listed so I am going off of Fresno...will be a bit different up there).

OdiN1701
9th of May 2006 (Tue), 12:04
Okay...on the 24th there is absolutely nothing available in any of the Pines campgrounds.

Camp 4 is walk-in only, but usually fills on Friday and sometimes Thursday for the weekends.

The only thing I could do, if anyone is interested is try to grab a campsite when they open. It's only $5 a night per person. But every time that I have been up there on a Saturday they have been full.

Bridalveil Creek campsite is on glacier point road but doesn't open until July.

Anyone have any suggestions?

johnnybfan
9th of May 2006 (Tue), 21:31
Like I've said in the past, we won't be there until the 26th of June :( But we're going to stay in the park for 4 nights = Monday in Camp Curry and the next three in Housekeeping. My sister-in-law has been calling at least once a day to get us these reservations and to try to get Monday into Housekeeping as well. I hope that 4 days is enough:lol: :lol:
I just hope that I won't wear out my camera. ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Tom_D
11th of May 2006 (Thu), 18:32
We leave at "crack of dawn" tomorrow for a 4 day weekend in Yosemite.

We are staying at the Cedar Lodge in El Portal. I talked with them today and 140 is still closed between Mariposa and El Portal so we will be taking 120 into the park.

There is a flood warning for the valley floor due to spring run-off. No evacuation as of yet but a bit of concern. They said flooding is not an issue in El Portal so we will go ahead and take our chances.

We have reservations for brunch at the Awanee on Mother's Day.

It should be a GREAT weekend.

I may even get to take a few photos.

I'll post details when we get back.

Skip Souza
11th of May 2006 (Thu), 18:54
Have a great time. We'll be watching for your photos.

Skip Souza
12th of May 2006 (Fri), 00:48
We will be taking a day trip to Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks with Nifty on Mothers Day. Going to show Nifty the BIG trees.

Tom_D
16th of May 2006 (Tue), 09:39
We got in late yesterday from 4 days in the park.

First the bad news:
The valley floor was crowded, no parking much past 10 or 11 am. The shuttles were VERY crowded. You might have to wait for 2 or 3 to get on one. There was a bit of flooding but nothing that got in the way of anything.

The good news:
The weather was GREAT. The falls and river were beyond adjectives. It was a wonderful trip and we had a GREAT time.

The first picture is were we stayed on Hwy 140. You can see the road closure just a hundred yards or so down the road.

The second is par of The Cascades as you enter the park on 140.

I'll post more as I get to them.

BTW, I have been to the park many times in my life and never taken the Valley Floor Tour (http://www.yosemitepark.com/content3col.cfm?SectionID=79&PageID=316), we did this time and it was great. It had been a while since my last visit and it was a nice refresher and easy to get photos from the open top tram.

Maureen Souza
16th of May 2006 (Tue), 17:56
We were up in Sequoia Park this past weekend, Tom and there is still alot of snow in the high country so I bet the falls will be teeming for quite a while.
Glad you had a great time.....Yosemite is always crowded when the snow starts melting but those waterfalls are sure worth it! Can't wait to see some more photos.

Wsman2
18th of May 2006 (Thu), 22:19
Speaking of falls, check out this pic I saw earlier today in the DP Review forums for Canon.

Make sure you click on the "Expand/Contract" button at the top of the picture to get the full shot.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=18491799

OdiN1701
18th of May 2006 (Thu), 22:25
Speaking of falls, check out this pic I saw earlier today in the DP Review forums for Canon.

Make sure you click on the "Expand/Contract" button at the top of the picture to get the full shot.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=18491799

That looks like Vernal. That is a long hike to the top of that guy...especially with camera gear :P

I hate those damned uneven steps. They can take a lot out of you, especially if you are me and keep stoping and trying to navigate off trail and setup a tripod to get a shot :P

Also, this time of year it will probably be nice and wet on the mist trail. Poncho recommended. It might calm down by later June though.

johnnybfan
24th of May 2006 (Wed), 22:39
OK Skip and Maureen are gone for a well deserved (I think) vacation. Lets stay up on the Yosemite weekend. I know I'm going to be a day late (but not a dollar short:):) ) but how many of you are planning on meeting in the park?

greg20d
25th of May 2006 (Thu), 09:41
My wife and I will be there ... staying friday thru sunday . and taking alot of shots ....:)

obiwan
25th of May 2006 (Thu), 11:30
I'll check with my better half and see if we have anything going that weekend.

Can't make it, daughters tap recital is that day.

Enjoy.

keenasmustard
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 12:33
I'm going to miss this by about a week or so. :( I'll be there on the 16th/17th/18th June if anyone else is planning to be there through that time, it would be great to have a mini POTN meet! I'll do my best to keep in touch with this thread straight after I'm there, so I can give you guys any useful info on conditions etc etc when the main tribe comes through. All I've been able to ascertain so far is a lot of roads are closed (ie Tioga Pass) due to above average snowfall and they've had a few landslides around the place too. Might not be relevant by the time you are all there though.

OdiN1701
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 17:47
To anyone heading up to Yosemite right now, be warned:

Highway 140 is closed due to a rockslide west of Yosemite National Park near Savage's Trading Post.

Digitally_Altered
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 12:18
just got back yesterday, only there a couple days, but waterfalls were amazing, weather could have been a little better, even got a few snow flurries... hopeing to make it @ the end of June, but now my kids have decided they want to take me away for Fathers Day that weekend... will have to see what happens

johnnybfan
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 21:12
just got back yesterday, only there a couple days, but waterfalls were amazing, weather could have been a little better, even got a few snow flurries... hopeing to make it @ the end of June, but now my kids have decided they want to take me away for Fathers Day that weekend... will have to see what happens

Ok, I'm going to be there on June 26, 27, 28, & 29. Just how bad (deep) is the snowcover on the Tioga Road? I wonder if we'll be able to use it by then. I sure hope so - I want to go check out Mono Lake and some of the Eastern Sierras. Last year it didn't open until June 24th. So hopefully the weather will warm up and melt the snowcover so they can get everything open. I know that it's still almost 4 weeks away but I'd just as soon have it cleared before then.

Tsmith
30th of May 2006 (Tue), 12:24
Ok, I'm going to be there on June 26, 27, 28, & 29. Just how bad (deep) is the snowcover on the Tioga Road? I wonder if we'll be able to use it by then. I sure hope so - I want to go check out Mono Lake and some of the Eastern Sierras. Last year it didn't open until June 24th. So hopefully the weather will warm up and melt the snowcover so they can get everything open. I know that it's still almost 4 weeks away but I'd just as soon have it cleared before then.

You might be alright getting thru by then _ I'm still holding out hope for June 16th > :confused: as they were at Olmsted Point on May 23rd but no updates since then. They actually have Tioga Pass open to the Yosemite Creek Bridge already this year which from what I've read is a first without the road being 100% open to Hwy 395.

johnnybfan
30th of May 2006 (Tue), 21:37
Bluedog_XT , lets think positively! Sunshine, blue skies, and maybe 65-70 degrees in the afternoon and 50's or so at night. :):):)

Tsmith
31st of May 2006 (Wed), 17:53
Bluedog_XT , lets think positively! Sunshine, blue skies, and maybe 65-70 degrees in the afternoon and 50's or so at night. :):):)

They finally updated the progress.

Plowing Update

May 30

Tioga Road:
The road crew is now up to the west end of Tuolumne Meadows. Snow depth is approximately 4 feet. Mono County is scheduled to start plowing into the park June 1st. Olmsted avalanche zone is still a very active and dangerous avalanche threat.

johnnybfan
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 01:15
Wow! Have you guys seen the forecast for Yosemite Valley for this week? Highs around 85 and lows in the mid 50's. Maybe that will get rid of some of the 4 feet of snow still on the Tioga Road. :):)

OdiN1701
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 01:23
85? Yuck. Cooler plz!

I may not be able to make the date here, but I might be going up with my brother between the 12th-15th. Not sure yet. I'm going to try to do both.

Tsmith
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 06:53
85? Yuck. Cooler plz!

I may not be able to make the date here, but I might be going up with my brother between the 12th-15th. Not sure yet. I'm going to try to do both.

Andrew the 12th is when I get there staying through the 16th.

greg20d
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 10:45
lloks like hwy 140 will be closed for awhile ...it had a mountain move over it they said ...

OdiN1701
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 12:17
Andrew the 12th is when I get there staying through the 16th.

I'll let you know when we have a for sure date and maybe we can meet up.

ayotnoms
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 14:30
Advisory: Take plenty of batteries

from the AP:

The slide, which is 600 feet long, 600 feet wide and 300 feet deep, threatened to topple two power line towers carrying 72,000 volts of electricity to the town of El Portal and the park, said Mariposa County Fire Chief Blaine Shultz.

The power lines are the only source of power to the small community and the park, Shultz said.

Motorists were advised to use alternate routes into the park. Two routes from the south and the north were still open.

greg20d
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 17:06
we are staying in oakhurst area we should be ok . if not i can bring a generator ..I have 2 lol and an inverter for the ciggerette lighter