PDA

View Full Version : I need a new lens & I'm on a budget

shredchic
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 21:49
I'm looking to spend about $400. I am thinking of adding the Tamron f/2.8 28-75 lens to my collection. I have read the reviews on here and on other places online, but is there anything else you guys can tell me?

I need a lens that will be helpful when shooting indoors where lighting is dim, as most churches and receptions don't have the best lighting.

If there is another lens better suited for my needs and in this price range, feel free to make suggestions.

My current gear is in my signature.

Remember, I'm no pro and this isn't my full time job.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

wazmunstr
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 22:31
go with the tamron. you will get many people here that will recommend it. its a great lens, i just prefer sigma :)

tim
5th of April 2006 (Wed), 22:34
I like the Canon 50mm F1.4 USM better in general, though I have and like the Tamron too.

sboerup
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 02:23
Dump the 35-80, if you can. This depends on what type of photography you use it for, and since its in the wedding section, I would get the Tamron for flexibility. Like tim, I like primes. Most favorite in that range are the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4, both that you can get under $400, or better yet, get the 85 1.8 and 50 1.8 for under $400. You will come to see photography in a new way with fast aperture lenses.

islandphoto
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 03:31
I've read some pretty good reviews on the sigma. I was pondering which one to get - the sigma or the canon. The canon is pretty expensive but I really want it and I might just have to bight the bullet.

ricohcam01
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:09
One word! ebay. :D I just won a bid on the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 that I am buying for my 10D. I heard it is not a bad lens. I will post some images when I get it.

shredchic
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:48
I like the Canon 50mm F1.4 USM better in general, though I have and like the Tamron too.

The Canon 50mm F1.4 USM is well within my budget, too. And there is a rebate going on!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12140&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Between these two lenses, which one is should I add to my collection? It's so difficult for me to make a decision. Which one do you guys think is going to be more versatile when shooting weddings? I'm looking for a relatively quick aperture, sharp images, great depth of field...

SuzyView
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 06:55
I have the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 and the primes are so sharp and great in low light situations. If I had to do it over, I'd still go for the 50 1.4 for your budget. Go to your local shop and put all your choices on the camera. Then take a look at them on your LCD. The 50 1.4 shots will be sharp and you will love how it focuses. The USM on the primes really does work well.

tim
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 07:54
The Canon 50mm F1.4 USM is well within my budget, too. And there is a rebate going on!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12140&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Between these two lenses, which one is should I add to my collection? It's so difficult for me to make a decision. Which one do you guys think is going to be more versatile when shooting weddings? I'm looking for a relatively quick aperture, sharp images, great depth of field...

Tough call. The 50mm F1.4 is faster to focus, has a wider maximum aperture and therefore a narrower minimum depth of field, and is a joy to use. The Tamron is 2 stops slower, not as sharp, but it has the flexability of a zoom. Stopped down to F4 or so both are sharp, and I happily use the Tamron at F2.8. In all, i'm glad I have both. If I had to have one now it'd be tough, but probably the Canon. For a beginner... maybe the zoom. For dark indoor churches... definitely the Canon, but I might get the 85 F1.8 for churches so I could stay out of the way. For receptions... a 28mm prime (give or take a few mm) would be perfect, but the 50mm is pretty good.

clengster_77
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 14:21
i use to have a tamron 28 - 75 2.8 and sure gave me good results! try it and you'll love it :)

cheers
cleng

kawter2
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 14:41
go with the tamron.. the 50mm will look better at 100% in photoshop, but your customers will not know the difference in your prints, however they would know the difference you you couldn't get the shot because you had a non zoom on your camera

(this coming from someone who LOVES his 50 1.4)

rlhphotos
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 14:50
50mm 1.4 would be my suggestion I just have the 50mm 1.8 right now but am planning on upgrading the 1.4 sometime soon. (Im actually planning on swithcing a lot of my equipment out if budget allows) In any case you cant beat the nice DOF and the quick speeds of the 50mm..

shredchic
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 16:47
I am sure I will ultimately end up getting both lenes, but I am leaning towards the Tamron right now. I plan on trying it out at my local camera store before making a purchase. The guys in there are awesome.

Thanks for all the help so far.

jesusdelallata
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 21:59
For flexibility, go for the Tamron. It's a fine lens. The 50mm 1.4 is even nicer. Tough call.

Emuncy
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 23:20
I have that tamron also, and I love it. However, Canons 50mm 1.8 is REALLY fast and amazingly sharp for only an $80.00 Lens. I'd say pick yourself up one of those and also one of the canon 85mm. Should fit in your budget.

tim
6th of April 2006 (Thu), 23:26
I have that tamron also, and I love it. However, Canons 50mm 1.8 is REALLY fast and amazingly sharp for only an $80.00 Lens. I'd say pick yourself up one of those and also one of the canon 85mm. Should fit in your budget.

That lens isn't anywhere near the quality necessary for weddings - it's focus motor's inaccurate and it flares. There are plenty of threads discussing this though, so lets not get into it here.

Emuncy
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 01:12
I am aware of that, however, I was taking into consideration that she herself said that she isn't a pro. Just thinking that lens might be something that she might want to try seeing it's only $80.00.

And besides, i use this lens and I have no problem with it. Just depends on how you use it. If you use it in dim lighting, the AF is going to search seeing that it's not USM, but I don't use the 1.8 because of lack of light, I enjoy the background blur I get from it. Like I said just depends on how you use it.

Also, In case you haven't noticed, I just joined the forum. I obviously haven't had a chance to go through the threads yet, So I wouldn't know that there was a thread about that...

Not trying to sound rude or anything, just got that impression from your post.

Tee Why
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 01:34
If you are willing to sacrifice one stop of aperature for more versatility, then the Tamron 28-75 maybe a better idea. The Canon 50mm f1.4 really would be a sharp and fast lens but on a cropped sensor, it's a bit long. If you have control over the shooting environment then it might be good, but if you need versatility/flexibility in composition, then I'd go for either the Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro f2.8 or the Tamron 28-75. Both are good lenses but I personally would prefer the 24mm wide end.

Maureen Souza
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 03:35
I have both lenses and although I really like my Tamron, I use a lot of the 50/1.4 for weddings.

tim
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 04:02
Not trying to sound rude or anything, just got that impression from your post.

Welcome to POTN :) Most people aren't as grumpy as me ;)

atika
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 04:32
If you can wait a little, take a look at the new Tamron 17-50 f2.8, it has a much more usefull range than the 28-75 indoors.

20DNewbie
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 04:32
Welcome to POTN :) Most people aren't as grumpy as me ;)
LOL, the only time I've ever seen a grumpy Kiwi is when the beer supply has been exhausted. Then we went to someone else's house and no more grumpy Kiwi.

On a side note I've also recently purchased the 50/1.4, haven't used it much but it is fun to play with.

tim
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 05:00
LOL, the only time I've ever seen a grumpy Kiwi is when the beer supply has been exhausted. Then we went to someone else's house and no more grumpy Kiwi.

On a side note I've also recently purchased the 50/1.4, haven't used it much but it is fun to play with.

Well my glass of vodka is empty... off out to the pub then! :D

lfaustino
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 05:16
Hi all
Well, given your gear list, I say you should go for the 85mm 1.8
It's cheap, fast and in an interesting focal range.

For 50mm you have you 50mm/2.5... So dump 50mm/1.4 option, or get the "nifty fifty" for 90 bucks.

What I see missing in your gear is a small and fast telephoto (85mm * 1.6 factor).
I'm sure you dont need a 200mm f2.8 because you want to show people in church, not just their faces/candids.
Since you already have a long telephoto, the 85mm would fit a missing spot in your gear list.

That's just my opinion, I'm a rookie, so...

shredchic
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 07:05
Thanks again. I'm probably going to go with the Tamron over the Canon because of the variable zoom, and then get the Canon at a later date.

EOS_JD
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 07:19
Sell your Canon EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6

Buy the Tamron 28-75 and if you can afford it the 50mm f1.8. It's Canon's cheapst lens and is very nice to use. Not as fast or as well built as the 50mm f1.4 but a great lens nonetheless. You should be able to get both for under $400.

I just upgraded my f1.8 to the f1.4 and it's certainly built better but I don't use primes too often really. It all depends on how you use your camera. The Tamron zoom is a great lens for the money.

Cheers
JD

SuzyView
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 07:28
Okay, I do take wedding shots, and I can tell you, the 85 is way too long on the XT. You'll be walking backward through the whole evening. For the bridge & groom pictures, the 85 would probably be your best lens, but if you want to take pictures just walking around, you need a zoom. For $400, you have very few choices for quality glass. It takes a little practice to use a prime. I see you have the kit lens. It's not a terrible lens. You just have to understand it's limitations. If you really want the right answer, go to the place where you'll be shooting and observe the lighting. If the room is dark and you have to use a flash anyway, the Tamron or Sigma zooms in the 20-70mm ranges are fine. If you want really great sharp focus on your subject, you'll have to consider the 50 1.4. Are you going to be using your 200E flash? I think we need to consider advising Lindsay with the gear she's got and with the addition of a $400 lens purchase.

tim
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 07:53
If you have a prime and set it to manual exposure you tend to concentrate on composition rather than the technical details. At least that's what I find. 85mm is way too long for indoors, 50mm is ok, around 30mm would be great. I almost bought the Sigma 30mm F1.4, but I decided in the end to use my 50mm F1.4 and stand back further - since I already own it and i'm not made of money. In the end it's the photographer that's important not the equipment, but good gear makes life a bunch easier.

shredchic
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 10:24
Suzy -- I don't like that flash and I use it as little as possible. I'm looking into purchasing something different, but right now I need a new lens. Others have told me that a disadvantage to the the 50mm 1.4 is that I will constantly be in the way and I will be a distraction if I'm using that during the ceremony (because it's not a variable zoom lens).

Tim -- I love that last line: "In the end it's the photographer that's important not the equipment, but good gear makes life a bunch easier." Right now, I am just trying to make my life easier by adding an affordable lens to my collection. I need something in at least the 2.8 range to accommodate poorly lit indoor ceremonies, but I also want it to be able to use it as a decent portrait lens.

Some photos from a recent wedding:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/LWPhotos/Nancefirstdance.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/LWPhotos/flowergirl3.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/LWPhotos/Chandler.jpg

Emuncy
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 17:33
Well, seeing that you want something that has a variable focal length and in the 2.8 range. I'd have to say go with Sigma's 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG lens. It's just under your budget. http://www.calumetphoto.com/ has them on sale atm for $340.00. Or you could try the Ebay route.

shredchic
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 17:58
I'll check it out. Thanks. Does anyone here have any other opinions about the Sigma 28-70 F2.8?

Titus213
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 18:26
I know you asked about a lens and I love my Tamron 28-75 but I'm surprised no one mentioned your flash. I would definitely look at upgrading the 200E.

shredchic
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 19:04
I will. I don't even really use that thing. I bought it 6 or 7 years ago.

SuzyView
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 19:06
I mentioned the flash, but she wanted a lens. :)

shredchic
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 19:13
I mentioned the flash, but she wanted a lens. :)

Yes, yes you did. :D

Ok, so which lens AND flash shall I get?

Titus213
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 01:36
I'd get the Tamron, a 420EX flash, and a bracket and off-shoe cord. Shouldn't cost you more than $600-$650?

Oh, and a diffuser for $40, Lumiquest ProMaX.

shredchic
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 10:41
Thanks -- I have actually been considering that flash.

kawter2
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 00:07
I'd get the Tamron, a 420EX flash, and a bracket and off-shoe cord. Shouldn't cost you more than $600-$650?

Oh, and a diffuser for $40, Lumiquest ProMaX.

ixnay on the ordcay and the lashflay racketbay ;)

thundery
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 00:46
The Tamron lives on my camera probably 80% of the time. Very sharp and gives great flexability. It tends to hunt when focusing in real dark situations but usually figures it out. The focus ring turns while focusing so you have to keep your fingers out of the way (just keep your fingers on the zoom ring instead). For churchs and receptions, there is nothing more versitile than a zoom - candids are important and you probably would have to move around considerably more with a prime than with a zoom

jj1987
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 01:01
the tamron is great if you dont need the aperture of the 50mm 1.4. I wouldnt go as far to say that either is better than the other.

kentuy
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 19:21
Buy sigma 24-70 EX DG MAcro 2.8 very nice lens