PDA

View Full Version : POTN WORLDWIDE PHOTO DAY PART 5!!

saravrose
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 14:58
Hi all happy friday to me, saturday to the kiwi's.... nothing much has changed... Saturday sun-up to Sunday sundown.. The theme is construction of any kind... Which by the way I love because we get to see how our different parts of the world are growing and evolving... Y'all will be seeing mine sometime tomorrow... happy shooting..

so.... who's gonna be first?

cjsa
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 15:32
Its Friday already?

::John::
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 16:48
*yawn - stretch*

'morning all - sunny Saturday morning here in Sydney. I am looking forward to this one and the interpretations we all put on 'construction'

SuzyView
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 16:50
There's a lot going on here in my part of VA. 25 homes just went up at the end of the street. I may just take a long walk tomorrow. ;)

7th of April 2006 (Fri), 16:53
There is a motorway being built 100 metres from my house - I could probably take pictures from my balcony - but I have something else in mind...

cjsa
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 16:56
There is a new building going up across the street from my office, but I will not be able to get on the roof over the weekend, so we'll see what happens.

beckybun
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 17:01
Man I should have tons of shots for this since I work for a company that handles all the benefits for union carpenters here in northern california, but alas, i don't have my camera. No excuse for that. They're working on the building next to ours...turning it into a Harley Davidson shop. There's been painters out there all day, and guys welding iron gates around the building (it's a tad ghetto here, no offense to anyone who lives in oakland though)

7th of April 2006 (Fri), 20:24
OK - here is my first one - tongue in cheek for UK residents as I am sure they will associate the name with what's going on at Wembly Stadium

[pic removed]

and, incase you can't read the writing on the banner - here is a 100% crop:

[pic removed]

condyk
7th of April 2006 (Fri), 20:34
OK - here is my first one - tongue in cheek for UK residents as I am sure they will associate the name with what's going on at Wembly Stadium

:lol: :lol: Good one Blokey ... but why do those Aussie tradespersons over here want to be having an extended Barbie every lunchtime I dunno. They need to get some work done.

Carzee
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 03:40
This clear blue sky for the last few weeks has go to change soon! I want cloudy sunsets! Where have all the clouds gone? The answer my friend..

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 03:45
... is blowing in the wind - which will probably hit us tomorrow...

Shocking, isn't it? Around 400 pics at the zoo today and most of them have that sky in them.

Carzee
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 03:59
I worked today and got a bit sunburnt -in April fgs!

...you did get the bilk-visit tickets whatever at the Zoo then?

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 06:09
yup - got those - it's a good scheme if you want to visit more than twice a year - so it has paid for itself and any future visits are 'free'

I am not surprised on the sunburn - it was a great day.

OK, next pic - it's messy - I was not too impressed - but, there again, construction sites are kinda messy. It was either this shot - or another crane!

[pic removed]

Sometimes a closer crop looks better:

[pic removed]

... and, there again, sometimes it doesn't. :)

peacock
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 09:52
Hampshire is suffering under the govts housing plans , new houses are going up on every available piece of land , much to the chagrin of the die hard locals.

the landscape "style on the 30D produces such saturated colours I think they suffer under compression :confused: (note around the top of the ladder)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/valentine1/Misc/posts%20and%20tests/30d_0140.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/valentine1/Misc/posts%20and%20tests/30d_0142.jpg

Claire
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 13:31
Sunburn in April? I envy you guys! Spring finally arrived, but on Friday it was sunshine, rain, hail, snow, sunshine, rain etc. Schizofrenic weather! Today just crap rain.

In2Photos
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 13:58
Sunburn in April? I envy you guys! Spring finally arrived, but on Friday it was sunshine, rain, hail, snow, sunshine, rain etc. Schizofrenic weather! Today just crap rain.

It is raining here off and on today, as well. Great pics so far. Keep them coming.

condyk
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 13:59

Great weather report girl. I see a future as the new Ulrika :p

Claire
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 14:09
Great weather report girl. I see a future as the new Ulrika :p

Yes, I'd love to shag famous men, kiss and tell and earn tons of cash doing it all. :lol: I'd rather stay away from the British press though! Damn, thosose people are scary...

condyk
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 16:59
We don't have big construction projects around here at the moment but we have a lot of conversions of old factories and other small industry style buildings.

The first shot is a building I have been watching for a while. It was finally sold a month or two back and now it is getting stripped out internally ready for reconstruction ... I guess as still more yuppie apartments. They've been separating a lot of the old wood from all the other junk they need to strip out and that seems to go to be recycled somewhere, which is good.

Second shot is one of those facilities you absolutely need on a construction project: namely a big plastic portaloo in bright blue. Clearly there are often some dangerous, possibly flamable, activities taking place in there given how the barriers are arranged :lol:

http://www.condyk.f2s.com/woodat46.jpg
Sigma 15-30mm 3.5-4.5 EX DG IF

http://www.condyk.f2s.com/loo.jpg
Sigma 15-30mm 3.5-4.5 EX DG IF

peacock
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:08
:lol: :lol: Love that second shot mr Condyk , lets my imagination run wild on what the sign says ....

condyk
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:18
:lol: :lol: Love that second shot mr Condyk , lets my imagination run wild on what the sign says ....

:lol: :lol: Good point. We can only guess, but what I can tell you is that there is a very decent curry house 2 minutes walk around the corner with a 5.95 'eat all you like' buffet every lunchtime ;-)

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:21
I just knew you would use that lens for your shots this weekend! Tease! <- polite term for 'bas***d' :)

Great pics, as always, Mr Dyk

msad1217
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:38
It's been raining here in Seattle today and more of the same tomorrow as far as weather is concerned. Plus, with my son having caught that stomach virus going around here, I pretty much have no choice but to stay home.

So here is my own interpretation of construction, indoors.

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:41
Manny - that works for me! Terrific shots.

(Love your avatar - we have 2 'tiels here)

msad1217
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:45
Thanks, Kiwi.

I love 'tiels, we have two as well. They are so fun to watch and listen to.

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 17:53
Our older one is teaching the younger one to fly at the moment - so a walk through our lounge is booby trapped with two small birds hurtling past at all sorts of angles and wing speeds - lol - he glides and she flaps furiously!

condyk
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 18:51
I just knew you would use that lens for your shots this weekend! Tease! <- polite term for 'bas***d' :)

Great pics, as always, Mr Dyk

Cheers Chief ... first shot I like a lot but I'll do some PP-ing with it before I put it on my own site. It's a very clean lens eh? Every shot other than composition is pretty much a keeper with it. The second shot is just for a laugh. Most of my shots I take with this Sigma now when I go walkabout. I had some taken today with my 17mm, in Nikon mount with adaptor, which are not really for this theme so haven't looked at them yet. I took it out pretty much for the first time and just for a change. I bought both the same week SH but the Sigma has just about become the favourite. IQ as good/better than the prime but it zooms and has AF so a no brainer.

snowrdr
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 19:37
Here are two from my part of the world.
1st one is the new housing going up close by, and
the 2nd one is the city's new water plant that, as you can see, is still a work in progress... ;)

PS
I have shots of that crane also... :mrgreen:

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 20:16
lol - yeah - cranes - they are magnets for cameras :)

Great shots - nice to see OR represented - I have a mate in Klamath Falls - he takes a few pics of Crater Lake every now and again - just to annoy me! :)

In2Photos
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 21:49
Hey Sari, it was mentioned at the end of POTN WWPD 4 to have the date in the title. I think that is a good idea and we should start that next week.

I hope to get some pics tomorrow as it was rainy today and I have been at home all day with my little one who is sick at the moment. Maybe I can sneak out tomorrow for a quick pic.

8th of April 2006 (Sat), 21:54
Hey Sari, it was mentioned at the end of POTN WWPD 4 to have the date in the title. I think that is a good idea and we should start that next week.

Frankly, I don't see it as a problem. Only one person got it wrong and was politely redirected, in my humble opinion.

If you do decide on putting the date in - how are you going to differentiate between the start and end date? I still thing some people will get that wrong.

Again, IF you do put in a date format of some sort - it has to be an international date format - not one where days and months are interchangeable.

In2Photos
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 22:01
Frankly, I don't see it as a problem. Only one person got it wrong and was politely redirected, in my humble opinion.

If you do decide on putting the date in - how are you going to differentiate between the start and end date? I still thing some people will get that wrong.

Again, IF you do put in a date format of some sort - it has to be an international date format - not one where days and months are interchangeable.

Just a thought as what happens when we get to WWPD 127. It will be hard to keep track. Or maybe just a date reference in the first post of the thread. No big deal, just thought it could be nice if we miss one here or there. also many newcomers might get thrown off.

cjsa
8th of April 2006 (Sat), 23:09
Like "POTN worldwide photo weekend #5, April 8-9" for the title.

May have been a lot more people who clicked on the wrong thread then realized it before posting. But of course that makes us look at last weeks photos again!

Mike Bell
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 01:45
Like "POTN worldwide photo weekend #5, April 8-9" for the title.

"POTN worldwide photo weekend #5, April 8-9, Construction" would be perfect IMHO. Let's face it - this idea has really taken off (well done Sari!) and as the weeks go by people need to easily see which is the current one. By putting in the theme as well others can take a look at older ones with a theme that interests them. Think about it. :)

saravrose
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 02:01
"POTN worldwide photo weekend #5, April 8-9, Construction" would be perfect IMHO. Let's face it - this idea has really taken off (well done Sari!) and as the weeks go by people need to easily see which is the current one. By putting in the theme as well others can take a look at older ones with a theme that interests them. Think about it. :)

I couldn't be more pleased at how popular this has become.. :D .. and I'll do my best to date them.. when this started it wasn't a very big deal... but now that were on to week five and going stronger than ever it will eventually become an issue...

sari.

Claire
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 02:09
l'm with Mike,the date and theme should be in the title.

Crap weather this weekend.Will take photos today l hope.

For next theme should be Easter btw. ;)

saravrose
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 02:14
And here is my take on this theme... These were taken right by the Eagle Exit off the hwy 84 right next to the brand new movie theater. I noticed this a few weeks ago and there was something about the construction site next to this crumbling barn that got my attention.. so, I left my house a little early this morning and headed over there....

sari.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/saravrose/the%20challenge/potn.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/saravrose/the%20challenge/potn2comp5.jpg

condyk
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 07:09
And here is my take on this theme... These were taken right by the Eagle Exit off the hwy 84 right next to the brand new movie theater. I noticed this a few weeks ago and there was something about the construction site next to this crumbling barn that got my attention ...

The barn looks well worth a second look and the new theatre just looks plain ugly. Will you go back for some more barn shots? The second shot captures the idea best for me.

G3owner
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 08:15
Here's mine.

The first one is from a pedestrian bridge being constructed near a school, over a road with heavy traffic. This bridge actually gave me the idea for the theme for this weekend...

The second one is from a site where they construct new apartment houses. It's Sunday, so no work is going on and they have lifted a box containing valuable tools and equipment high up in the air....

Bamce

Carzee
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 08:44
I like the backstory on the crane -a new definition of high security...

saravrose
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 11:21
The barn looks well worth a second look and the new theatre just looks plain ugly. Will you go back for some more barn shots? The second shot captures the idea best for me.

unfortunately the barn is surrounded by highway,telephone lines, construction and a mini mall.. there's just no way to shoot it without having those things.I have thought about going around the valley and getting barn shots. (there are dozens).. Just haven't followed through with it yet, for various excuses.... I'm sure I will one day...

sari

75D
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 11:55
This is great Sari, Fabulous Idea.
Was up at the crack of dawn and visited a couple of sites around Montreal.
Got a lot of Good Shots and it was hard getting it down to 2 but here they are.

What's Construction with out Traffic Cones

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SRT101/TrafficCones.jpg

Out with the Old (Make way for the New)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SRT101/MakingWayfortheNew.jpg

Looking forward to next week's challange.

Wayne

saravrose
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 13:32
nice shots Wayne.. I like the traffic cones.. something different.

sari.

BLS
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 19:56
It rained all day yesterday, but today was beautiful. So it was nice to have a theme to shoot. I found an area that is being developed as a commerce park. So far it contains the headquarters of a local bank and an office building. I don't know what is going in where the equipment below is being used.

Here are my two shots.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/812687/CatHoe_3977-01E.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/812687/bluepipes_3975-01E.jpg

Oh, and in answer to the question of whether we're all using digital cams, I'm using a 300D.

hoff6754
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 20:20
Like Manny in Seattle, it's been raining here in Spokane. So the boys and I had an inside day. Here is my 5 year old working on his puzzle:

http://geocities.com/hoff6754/puzzle.jpg

http://geocities.com/hoff6754/puzzle2.jpg

-Leland

Carzee
9th of April 2006 (Sun), 20:35
Hey thats different too. ....and go the Vegetales!

Traci_Ann
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 00:03
I ended up taking over 300 shots of this trying to get this shot. I wasn't going to post it but I decided I need advice on how to take pics of a tv/monitor. I set the refresh to 60hz and used shutter speeds 1/30, 1/60, 1/120 at first. Ended up shooting at all kinds of settings and picked the one that turned out the best.

Anyway this is part of the constructors for a program.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/laxlacks/77285f09.jpg

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 00:12
I ended up taking over 300 shots of this trying to get this shot. I wasn't going to post it but I decided I need advice on how to take pics of a tv/monitor. I set the refresh to 60hz and used shutter speeds 1/30, 1/60, 1/120 at first. Ended up shooting at all kinds of settings and picked the one that turned out the best.

Anyway this is part of the constructors for a program.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/laxlacks/77285f09.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D .... oh the things are minds will come up with.. I love this.. got a total kick out of it.. sorry I can't give you any advice on how to take a photo of a computer monitor...

sari.

Claire
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 02:32
I never took any photos for this challenge. I was going to build a card house and take a shot, but never got round to it. :(

In2Photos
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 10:13
Looks like everyone had an eventful weekend. I was no different. Sorry that you couldn't get any pics Claire. Yesterday I began wondering if I was going to be able to get any as well. The little one has been sick all weekend. In fact I stayed home today, Monday, from work to be with her. I did manage to get one shot late yesterday afternoon when we went for a short walk through our neighborhood. There are 4 or 5 homes still being constructed and I snapped a pic of the inside of one.

Then later on I thought of an idea while taking a shower of all things and came up with this next one. I am in the process of finishing my garage. Although I have been at the same stage for months now, I still have some of the stuff out and set it up for this next one.

ANali
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 11:47
Here they are - the first one is the brand-new just constructed baseball stadium in St. Louis, taken from the top of the Arch - there is still some building going on in the lot next to it. The second one looks more like de-construction, and was taken while traveling very fast along I-55, also in St. Louis.

I had some I liked better, but they were taken too early on Thursday.

Andrea

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 12:11
great shots everybody... and now since it's monday... what should we do about next week?? Any thoughts opinions ideas... start talking...

sari

condyk
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 12:31
great shots everybody... and now since it's monday... what should we do about next week?? Any thoughts opinions ideas... start talking...

sari

Well Nouna had the idea of Easter but that is a Christian festival and I dunno if we should go with it given we're a worldwide forum. I don't really mind personally. Be interesting to see what others say. Not sure non-Buddhist people, for example, would be keen if I suggested Visakah Puja :lol: Some would I guess. Dunno.

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 12:37
Well Nouna had the idea of Easter but that is a Christian festival and I dunno if we should go with it given we're a worldwide forum. I don't really mind personally. Be interesting to see what others say. Not sure non-Buddhist people, for example, would be keen if I suggested Visakah Puja :lol: Some would I guess. Dunno.

how about a theme were we can incorporate the holiday celebrations if we choose.... therefore center it around people or home or family... keep in mind these are just my suggestions.. I'm not going to choose the theme myself for atleast another month or so...

think of me as the driver that's taking direction just like everybody else..:D

sari.

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 12:38
dumb question Condyk... why is Claire called Nouna??

condyk
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 13:06
dumb question Condyk... why is Claire called Nouna??

:lol: :lol: That's her real name.

hoff6754
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 14:24
Another suggestion...Spring Cleaning?

condyk
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 14:26
Another suggestion...Spring Cleaning?

That's a good one ... I can combine shooting with a damn good clean up ;)

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 14:59
happy birthday Nouna...!! That's a neat name.. I've never heard it before, but it's probably really popular on your side of the map..

sari.

Traci_Ann
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 15:08
Early Happy birthday :), if I wait til thursday to say it I'll probably forget with all the other crap going on in my life atm.

In2Photos
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 15:23
Claire, Happy Birthday. I think you should pick this weeks theme, being the birthday gal and all. What do you think? Everyone else is that OK?

ANali
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 15:47
Happy Birthday Claire!

I'm okay with Claire picking this week's theme. She did mention something about 'how I spent my weekend..."

Andrea

condyk
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 15:51
I agree ... but I suspect she'll pick 'cake' or 'ice-cream' :lol: :lol:

Mike Bell
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 17:19
Happy Birthday, Nouna! I like your "How I spent my weekend" idea. :)

The only problem is I'm on-call in the hospital most of next weekend so you might get shots from the operating theatres!! :oops:

saravrose
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 18:08
Definately... Nouna picks what she wants us to go shoot...

sari.

BLS
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 18:43
Happy birthday, Nouna Claire! Sounds like the theme is up to you. Go for it!

Gee, Mike, shots from the operating theatres. Sounds interesting if they're not gruesome.

cjsa
10th of April 2006 (Mon), 20:05
Well, I only grabbed two quick construction shots, and figured they weren't worth looking at,but today, when I finally downloaded them, I think I kind of like this.
(Hi Nouna- Happy Birthday)

Claire
11th of April 2006 (Tue), 02:04
Thanks everyone! :o

Oh my, I get to choose the theme. Then I guess "How I spent my weeken" is the theme (as it's 8am and my imagination is running low right now!) It's at least a fairly broad theme, so no matter if you spent it eating chocolate bunnies, egg hunting, cleaning, partying, sleeping, getting drunk, being in the operation room or just generally surfing POTN, take a shot of it!

Claire
11th of April 2006 (Tue), 15:25
This is late, but I'll post it anyway. :) It's the new University building for the Education department of Gothenburg University. It's being built just across from where I work.

http://static.flickr.com/55/126868120_74b93cf8c6.jpg?v=0