PDA

View Full Version : Portable Storage for Flash Cards

Squeaky
1st of September 2003 (Mon), 05:38
I will shortly be going away on holiday and only have a limited supply of 'cards'.... What is the experience of forum members with the various forms of portable storage?

henkbos
1st of September 2003 (Mon), 06:46
Got an X-driveII with 30Gb hard disk. Performs great!

samdring
1st of September 2003 (Mon), 14:58
Have Apacer DiscSteno (portable CD writer) which works really well and CDs are 10-a-penny.
Doesn't like some Lexar CF cards though - despite the firmware update which was meant to fix this issue.
Very fast - USB2 - compact and portable

Regards

Sam

billfranklin
1st of September 2003 (Mon), 16:05
I took a Nixvue vista, model no.NV-010SA, with me to Alaska on my vacation. I had two 256 flash cards with me. As I used up one card, I would store it on athe Nixvue and keep on shooting. I had over 1200 raw files stored by the time I got home. The neat thing about the Nixvue is that you can view your files on the small screen and delete if they are no good.

Had thought about taking my laptop, but this little thing fits on my belt. It is not as fast as a laptop, but it gets the job done.

Bill F.

tony723
2nd of September 2003 (Tue), 09:46
Squeaky wrote:
I will shortly be going away on holiday and only have a limited supply of 'cards'.... What is the experience of forum members with the various forms of portable storage?
X-Drive II, Tripper and ImageBank G2 are all portable harddisk with USB 2.0.

The follow web site tested the portable drive mentioned but it is in Chinese:
http://vipweb.url.com.tw/chian/compare/TvsX2vsG2.html

Ikinaa
2nd of September 2003 (Tue), 09:51
billfranklin wrote:
I took a Nixvue vista, model no.NV-010SA, with me to Alaska on my vacation. I had two 256 flash cards with me. As I used up one card, I would store it on athe Nixvue and keep on shooting. I had over 1200 raw files stored by the time I got home. The neat thing about the Nixvue is that you can view your files on the small screen and delete if they are no good.

Had thought about taking my laptop, but this little thing fits on my belt. It is not as fast as a laptop, but it gets the job done.

Bill F.

You can view RAWs on the display of the Nixvue?

Longwatcher
2nd of September 2003 (Tue), 11:08
I have the 30GB Delkin Picture Pad (similiar if not same as Nixvue).

Yes you can view Canon 10D Raw files if you have the latest firmware loaded. or at least I can with mine.

The ability to check files and see images is a great way to avoid carrying a laptop along on a trip. That way you are not tempted to start editing them, but can see if the images are worth saving before you get home.

Plus for added value, you can transfer files back to the CF card prior to returning home through security, so if the Picture Pad does not make it, maybe the CF cards will. Note: The files will not be readable by the camera.

I usually use this feature to store music for the airplane, but free up the cards for picture taking.

I have had the Picture Pad for over a year now with no problems other then I cursed the battery life. This problem has been solved with the AA battery external power pack for the picture pad. Note: the battery pack has one annoyance, you need a small flathead screwdriver (or equivilant) to change batteries.

billfranklin
2nd of September 2003 (Tue), 11:15
Absolutely. Also, if the TV in your room has the right connections, you can view the files on the larger TV screen. It's just the regular Vidio input connetion, which I think is on almost all TV;s now.

Bill F

Phil Hall
2nd of September 2003 (Tue), 11:18
I usually take a laptop on trips. This allows me to shoot RAW then I cinvert, view and save to a CD. Some of the TAMRAC photo bags have slots for a laptop.

Phil Hall
Santa Ynez CA