PDA

View Full Version : G3 Discontinued

eanp62
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 06:54
Have just tried to purchase a G3 online here in the UK and have been told that it has been discontinued.
I rang Canon Uk and they confirmed this, telling me that it has been replaced by the G5!!

darrylr
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 09:45
Yes the G3 is a clearance item now at stores here in Canada as well. The production cycle of digital cameras these days is very short. There is always something "newer and better" a few months after you buy. It is impossible to stay ahead of the curve unless you have a small fortune to spend.

Just be happy that the G3 is a really nice camera and should serve you well for a while.

Edit: Well I guess maybe you don't have a G3 yet so maybe you aren't so happy. You should still be able to buy it online though. I think www.bhphotovideo.com still has them. That is where I bought mine.

-Darryl

sidebp
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 10:43
If your still keen on getting a G3, then the following places still seem to have them in stock (I know a lot of people who recommend pixmania).

http://www.espotting.dealtime.co.uk/xKW-Canon_PowerShot_G3/NS-1/linkin_id-3025540/GS.html

Cheapest price £441

That was from a quick Google search. I would keep trying all the photography shops - Jessops? etc as there are bound to be some real bargains to be had now.

Ay Cee
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 14:43
The cheapest place you will get it is Ebay.COM.

I did a LOT of searching and it's cheaper by miles!

Deckyon
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 14:55
I wonld not ever think about selling my G3. I was out shooting all day Saturday and had it on the whole time without replacing batteries, it is just an easy camera to work with. Even if I finally upgrade to a D1 or even D1s I will keep the G3.

Bean
16th of September 2003 (Tue), 23:05
eanp62 wrote:
Have just tried to purchase a G3 online here in the UK and have been told that it has been discontinued.
I rang Canon Uk and they confirmed this, telling me that it has been replaced by the G5!!

Try going to Amazon .com and go to the G3 listing. Then select the button to look at Used or Other New cameras. People sell their stuff here. I just sold a G2 there after 2 days of listing. I always go to this Used section and usually buy the stuff there. Even the New, Never Used stuff is cheaper than the Amazon offering. I found this when I was looking for expensive books. I purchased a New Windows XP book for less than half retail. It was so new, that the book was copyrighted 2003, and I bought it in December 2002. I believe they are also starting up an auction section very soon.

canong3
17th of September 2003 (Wed), 11:56
I bought my G3 from this place. Excellent place to buy from here. Its US1camera.com

http://www.us1camera.com/shop/Product.asp?sku=CANG3

A few more good dealer are
buydig.com
beachcamera.com

Or you can go to Pricegrabber.com and get the listing of places selling G3 with price.

pessemist
17th of September 2003 (Wed), 14:41
HAVE YOU TRIED WAREHOUSE EXPRESS?

eanp62
18th of September 2003 (Thu), 12:48
Thanks for all the advice, I'm based in the UK and a lot of the U.S. online retailers won't ship (the cheapest anyway) to Europe. The cheapest price over here is still about £450! Will have to wait or as suggested get a secondhand G3 or maybe even a G2 if the price is right!

pessemist
19th of September 2003 (Fri), 03:01
G5 available at
park cameras.co.uk 0840580468 £479