PDA

View Full Version : Macros? how do u get so close?

cA70
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 11:38
I've noticed alot of maco shots on this forum.

Most of them, the incect fills up most of the shot. I'm guessing there must be an add on macro lens for this, but how close to the incect do u realy get? And how do u get your camera there without them flying or running off?

dewmuw
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 11:50
Hit them with a newspaper first! :o)

I'd like to know the answer to this one too - I ventured into my back garden at the weekend and spent a fun afternoon chasing wasps all over the place (makes a change). I was hoping to find a wasp picnic and land on their sandwiches - but it wasn't to be.

new girl on the bloc
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 12:17
patience, patience, patience. and being in the right spot at the right time, which for me is wherever there are a lot of fragrant flowers with insect photos.

i use hoya 1+2+4+ filters with my g3 on macro mode and full zoom. and i get as close as my camera will allow (once everything comes into focus).

rest assured that i miss tons of what would have otherwise been great shots. practice and patience.

megaweb
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 20:48
Some tips for taking insect macro :

- Go in the morning. Many insects are afraid of heat and they will hide when the sun is hot. They are also inactive esp the morning dew are on their body.

- Know their behaviour and you can location them easily.

- For composition , try to take the shots as same level to the insect. It will look like the shots are taken by other insect :)

- For camera settings :
*use the smallest aperture like f8 to have wider DOF
*use shutter speed that fast enough to allow you to handheld or freeze the object.
*use lowest ISO to have best quality capture
*use tripod to stablise your shot
*use ext flash to provide fill flash on your object to bring out its detail. You can add a softener like Omni-bounce to diffuse the flash.

ajax
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 22:58
We have a giant lavender plant in our yard and I discovered the bees lazily drift around it late in the evening. Conveniently, there is a ledge nearby, so I just plopped down and shot and shot and shot. And patience is NOT one of my virtues. ;-)

Conversely, one evening I found a butterfly that was all but posing for me about 1' above my head in a rose bush. Try as hard as I could, I could NOT focus on that dang butterfly. Made me nuts. I could almost see him roll his eyes and mutter "geez, couldja HURRY up?...I'm tired of being so still."

yason
15th of September 2003 (Mon), 23:56
this is what I do...

hang around a bush or grass etc, best with some flowers around.

Limit your movement and look around and you'll usually find some insect hidding somewhere...grasshoppers usually on the stems or leave... ants crawl everywhere... bee & butterfly will move from flower to flower... a lizard may be somewhere too...

After you have observed their flight or movement patterns, position your camera and try to move it as close as you an get with the slowest speed possible... almost in slow motion.

Once you get a focus, snap away, cos' usually out of the series of shots, you'll get just a few good ones...

Look at the settings recommendation megaweb posted, I usually use f8 with tripod and cable release. Flash will be good especially when the subject is hidding under some leave etc.

Have fun, some of my shot where taken with my G2 with Hoya +4 filter.

msvadi
17th of September 2003 (Wed), 19:49
Do you recommend to switch to manual focus?

sclamb
17th of September 2003 (Wed), 19:56
With a reversed 35mm lens or stacked close-up lenses, manual focus is the only sure way to get the shot. As I said in an earlier thread, setting infinity on the reversed lens and the camera seems to provide the greatest magnification and you can get further away from the subject. Just use MF and move the camera to get focus.

I am waitng for my Kirk FB-8 so that I can mount my 420EX with the reversed lens and get some flash on the subjects. Using daylight can be a real pain whereas flash is constant.

As eveyone else has said, patience and practice are the keywords.

Simon