PDA

View Full Version : A few shots of my nutty wife...

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:10
...and since I'm by no means a post-processing guru, was just wondering what would you do to improve these images. Do you think a fill flash would've made a huge difference in some of these? How about removing the smudge on the reflective surface in the first pic? Removing the tan lines. I know the last one could use some sharpening. BTW, I intentionally put myself in the reflection...

BTW, all shots are straight RAW to jpeg conversion. No PP.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1526/lord0048a6gz.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9483/lord0044a3lx.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6827/lord0028a5wy.jpg

song4themoon
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:18
You have a very beautiful wife!

SonicYan
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:23
Wow, you're wife's pretty. :D

Back on topic, I'm still new to this so I'll try to give advice on what I've learned/seen so far. For #s 1 and 2, (especially shadows in #2) a fill flash should be able to help improve the image. #3 looks well lit. I like it the most out of all three.

Not really a post processing guru myself, so I can't really provide much advice, except the usual adding of contrast, saturation, and USM.

Good job btw. :D

kevbailey
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:26
I'm not all that good yet at PS, but here's a quick workup on a couple of things for photo#2

The smudge is easily fixed. Blended her tan lines, and lightened her face a little.

Kevin

kevbailey
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:27
By the way, she's a beautiful lady!

Kevin

spencer87
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:40
#3 is a great shot (and she is very pretty!) in #1 i wish there were more light on her face

MagicallyDelicious
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 18:41
she has such a great smile!

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:00
Thanks for the comments. My wife appreciates it (maybe not me calling her nutty though). So I should definitely consider using a flash in the future when doing portraits, esp. in the first two shots. Got it. Thanks.

Here's a couple more...

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4158/lord0033a3je.jpg

Here's where I can definitely see that there's just too much shadow falling on her face...
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9287/lord0040a9yh.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/2198/lord0043a8if.jpg

weka2000
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:21
IMHO she would make a faboulous glamor model. Lovely eyes and an amazing smile. She seems to enjoy the camera.

Lets see what you can do with 85mm.

Do you have studio lights and a black back ground (sheets will do)?

SonicYan
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:25
Yup, she is gorgeous, she has a great smile. You're pretty lucky. :D

How bout trying to play with the levels/curves to bring out some of her face from the shadows? Just a suggestion, not sure if it'll work.

cosworth
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:49
Got a downlaod link for the originals?

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:51
Got a downlaod link for the originals?

No. How do I do that?

cosworth
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 19:56
Your ISP usually provides you with some "webspace" where you can upload shots to. I see you use imageshack and I assume they don't like 5 meg files being downloaded.

Email #1 or #3 to me and I'll have a go at it. I like trying other's shots. It removes my hand in the capture and makes me take a conservative approach. I learn a lot this way.

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 20:04
Your ISP usually provides you with some "webspace" where you can upload shots to. I see you use imageshack and I assume they don't like 5 meg files being downloaded.

Email #1 or #3 to me and I'll have a go at it. I like trying other's shots. It removes my hand in the capture and makes me take a conservative approach. I learn a lot this way.

Cool. PM me your e-mail address.

kevbailey
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 20:11
This lady is outragously beautiful! What a smile. You have a wonderful model to work with. Take full advantage of that oppurtunity! I look forward to your future work.

Kevin

cyclone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 20:32
enough about your beautiful wife...that's a nice reflection of you taking the shot in the first picture! :cool:
edit, OK it was intentional!

weka2000
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 20:37
There is always a PBase account. Cheap and you get 300meg for a year.

DigitalMDX
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 20:39
Great shots... lovely wife.
The indoor shots are my favorite.

cosworth
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:32
Lord, I gave this one a quick shot. You need to take more pictures of this lady...

http://www.jasonhollister.com/images/lord_wife.jpg

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:36
Lord, I gave this one a quick shot. You need to take more pictures of this lady...

That's nice, bro. Huge improvement! I'm having a tough time sending you the files via g m a i l. I guess they're too big. I'll sending them through yahoo mail later on.

Meaty0
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:50
Hi Mate,

Everyone is concentrating on the subject rather than your photography skills...I wonder why :-D

Why not try a few of her with a "face-only" close up? How about having her facing side on a little more to the camera (face at about 30 to 45 degrees to camera)? I always think portraits with the subject facing straight towards the camera get that "mug shot" appearance and seem without depth.

She has a beautiful smile (should be doing toothpaste commercials :-) ) so get in closer and show us more of that.

Thanks for showing them to us and thank her for letting you.

Paul

jbkalla
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:50
LM, great shots and, as everyone has already stated, a beautiful wife!

Here's my attempt. I added a layer and used NeatImage on the sculpture after cleaning up the smudges a little. Noise reduction software works wonders on non-porous materials like glass and metal. I then dodged your wife a little to brighten her up. <edit> Oh, and I tried to smooth her tan lines a little.

I know there are people here who can do much better than this!

jbkalla
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:52
That's nice, bro. Huge improvement! I'm having a tough time sending you the files via g m a i l. I guess they're too big. I'll sending them through yahoo mail later on.

I think gmail has a 10MB limit. I believe yahoo has a 5MB limit. If you save them as jpg, you might be able to get the file under 10MB.

Oh, and I think Comcast has a 10MB limit, but I could be wrong about that, too...

cosworth
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 21:52
Hi Mate,

Everyone is concentrating on the subject rather than your photography skills...I wonder why :-D

Paul

I don't doubt his skills. Nothing I would do to make the images better camera wise. Slacker?

Lord_Malone
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 22:04
My wife loves the processed images. And all of you made her day with your comments. Thanks a bunch for your input, guys and gals.

weka2000
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 22:17
You keep shooting her and we will keep making her day :lol:

I think whats really comming through from all of us is that She is is very attractive and you capture her well.

Not all of us have wives that are happy to pose in front of a camera.

jbkalla
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 22:40
...Not all of us have wives that are happy to pose in front of a camera.

Not all of us have wives! :-(

weka2000
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 22:50
Not all of us have wives! :-(

Each situation has its advantages and disadvantages.

PsychProf
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 23:03
Yes for fill-flash!! Even in bright sunlight it can make a big difference in what the eye sees as the subject with the most clarity. In the attached pics I was not in bright sunlight. But it was a bright sunlit day standing in the shade of a tree. The A95 point and shoot was set for automatic on the first shot. Then I went to manual and forced the flash to work to fill in and bring the subjects (wife and daughter) to life. Experiment with the flash outdoors and I think you will be pleasantly surpised. And since you have a wife that enjoys being in front of the camera you have a perfect model with wihich to practice. Good luck and post more samples!!

weka2000
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 23:07
Yes that brings out the colours, but does blow the white top. Also add great colour to the hair

ayotnoms
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 23:41
Here's a shot at image editing I took while watching the Giants/Rockies game.
Highlights/Shadows, Noise Ninja to sharpen the Lightness channel in Lab Mode
BTW, I echo the sentiments of the other posters; get your wife in front of the camera more often. She's a natural. :)

Cheers

kevbailey
27th of May 2006 (Sat), 23:46
Wow. I gotta learn more about PS. I have noise ninja, please tell me what settings you used for this.

Kevin

ayotnoms
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 00:02
Wow. I gotta learn more about PS. I have noise ninja, please tell me what settings you used for this.

Kevin
Filter Tab
Luminance - Strength 20; Smoothness 6; Contrast 17 USM amount 218; USM Radius .8

;)

kevbailey
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 00:04
OK. I gotta try this out. Thanks you.

Kevin

kevbailey
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 00:13
You never did say why you called her "nutty"

JaertX
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 01:23
LM - these are really very nice...I think you've done as good as can be expected with the tools you have.

The only way to really improve them is to reshoot with the 300mm f/2.8L.

Heh heh.

cosworth
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 03:32
voila!

http://www.jasonhollister.com/images/lord_wife3.jpg

cosworth
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 04:07
http://www.jasonhollister.com/images/lord_wife4.jpg

A bit overdone but looks good.

AlexMa
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 05:57
Yo!

Gotta add too..............You got a great gal there!

And she gave you a camera bag too.........:)

She's got a great smile there.

condyk
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 06:58
LOl ... nice shots Lord. I can see she has a certain wonderful nuttiness about her. With both post processing and personality it is sometimes better just to let it be. The more we try to over control either the more we repress the essence of what is there ;-)

JCR
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 11:47
I see where the 'lord' in your name comes from now.
I would be thanking him everyday if I was you. ;)
Bit of a small image to work on, sharpness likely semi snowballed by file size limit.

foto202
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 18:25
All of the edits are awesome. You are a lucky man!

drewmk2
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 18:47
I really like the 3rd shot you took. The lighting is quite natural and quite nice. In the other couple, you need to watch out for harsh shadows on the face... not somthing i think fill flash could easily take care of on its own. Otherwise i would say just mind your rule of 3rds. I think the 3rd composition is a bit better because she's a tad off center.

Some of the edited versions posted look a tad too processed for my taste.

Oh yeah, she's a beautiful lady.

cosworth
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 18:52
I am not a fan of the processed look, however I know that Lord's wife likes the edits and the skin look.

I sent a couple back to him that had very little smoothing done. Like this:

http://www.jasonhollister.com/images/nice_one.jpg

So many ways to edit a shot to make so many people happy. I love it!

mrclark321
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 18:55
Lucky Lordy you have a beautiful wife. With that great smile you should have lots of time to improve on are already very good shots. :)

Dan

ronosmena
28th of May 2006 (Sun), 19:16
beautiful wife..and yes as a bunch in hear noticed and I know you yourself have, a little Fill-Flash would just made it standout, but composition is great no doubt about that.

Lord_Malone
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 13:36
Thanks, people. You guys are all awesome, and you've made my wife very happy. I have to use this opportunity to sweet talk her into buying more camera gear. LOL ;)

Dante King
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 13:45
Hell I thought you were single! LOL. poor woman. J/K!! She is lovely!

Diminished29
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 14:25
Very nice model, I'm sure you've heard this a lot as well, but I think your little boy takes after her SOO much, in the eyes and his cute little smile. I know you've posted him a few times before but I believe this is the first time I"ve ever seen your wife and I thought I'd mention that.

Again, very lovely wife, and she seems quite comfortable in front of the camera as well, hard to find a lady like that, I know my girlfriend doesn't care too much to have her picture taken so I usually only get a chance to snag one or two before she says "NO MORE"...don't you have any thing better to take pictures of. I just find it quite funny. Ok, enough rambing great shots and keep shootin' bro!

mbze430
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 16:04
Sounds like we need to start a "Show me your significant other" thread.....

jbkalla
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 19:41

Great. Now I'll have to find a picture of my ex-cats! :-(

Lord_Malone
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 20:23

I thought there was one started already? Maybe that was another forum. Nevertheless, not a bad idea, bro. ;)

grego
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 20:28
This is where you tell her, the 300 would make an excellent portrait lens. :p

Like in photo 1: "I'm in the reflection of that shinny object, but if I had the 300, I could move back far enough and still fill the frame."

Lord_Malone
29th of May 2006 (Mon), 21:08
This is where you tell her, the 300 would make an excellent portrait lens. :p

To which she'll reply "You shot me just fine with the 135." :(

Kristy
30th of May 2006 (Tue), 01:03
Aw... she's beautiful you've captured her well, and everyone has done a great job with the PP stuff. :)

Lord_Malone
31st of May 2006 (Wed), 23:15
I think your little boy takes after her SOO much, in the eyes and his cute little smile. I know you've posted him a few times before but I believe this is the first time I"ve ever seen your wife and I thought I'd mention that.

I guess that's where my son get's his good looks from. You don't think he resembles me at all? :(

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9351/img3622a6ms.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1637/lord03000td.jpg
(This photo is much more flattering)

jbkalla
31st of May 2006 (Wed), 23:17
I guess that's where my son get's his good looks from. You don't think he resembles me at all? :(

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8457/lord03400qz.jpg

Haha!!! Love the teefus! What the Heck were you exposed to in Iraq?! :-)

Lord_Malone
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 00:02
Haha!!! Love the teefus! What the Heck were you exposed to in Iraq?! :-)

Germ warfare.

Dirtyeddie
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 09:10
Lord_Malone you are going to have a hard time taking a bad picture of her. What a smile!

whiskaz
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 09:27
What a fabulous pair of...

eyes! HA! :P Seriously, gorgeous... looks like you've got a great family ;) and a crappy dentist!

Lord_Malone
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 20:06
What a fabulous pair of...

eyes! HA! :P Seriously, gorgeous... looks like you've got a great family ;) and a crappy dentist!

I'm sensative about my teeth. Then again, no I'm not. Although dental hygene is not one of my strong points, I melt the ladies hearts with my golden smile. ;)

Lord_Malone
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 22:22
Um... These aren't my real teeth. :|

weka2000
1st of June 2006 (Thu), 22:30
So whens the next installment. One of the most infulencial web sites for me was this guy http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill/picture_a_day_of_wanda

He look a photo each day for a year of his wife. He never had studio lights just a couple of canon speedlights but it was the way he caught her wife.

Just a thought.

R_Metzel
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 00:01
Great shots of the wife. Very beatiful. Nice teeth too.:lol: I found a headshot of your brother.:lol::p

Lord_Malone
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 13:50
Great shots of the wife. Very beatiful. Nice teeth too.:lol: I found a headshot of your brother.:lol::p

Where did you get a picture of my brother??!! Ah, yes. The family resemblence.

aparmley
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 15:05
I'm sensative about my teeth. Then again, no I'm not. Although dental hygene is not one of my strong points, I melt the ladies hearts with my golden smile. ;)

ROFLMFAO! That was absolutely classic. :lol:

glowie
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 19:47
I love beetlejuice!

Lord_Malone
2nd of June 2006 (Fri), 23:06
ROFLMFAO! That was absolutely classic. :lol:

I'm thinking about walking into a local dental office and complain about a tooth ache or bleeding gums just to get a reaction.

Transonic
3rd of June 2006 (Sat), 02:40
Oh nevermind, at first I thought it was this guy's teeth you were talking about:

http://www.sfolife.net/archives/fugly.jpg

Lord_Malone
3rd of June 2006 (Sat), 09:18
^ If I were to only have 3 teeth, it would be his.

whiskaz
4th of June 2006 (Sun), 07:42
Man you guys really messed up the look & feel of this thread ;)

YARRO
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 11:56
Man you guys really messed up the look & feel of this thread ;)

Indeed.

Lord Malone, your wife is astonishingly beautiful.

Let's make this thread a sticky, so we can all go back to it from time to time!:)

Lord_Malone
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 15:22
Thanks! And sorry for screwing up my own thread with my grill. ;)

wu_wei0
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 15:34
Beautiful wife, Lovely shots, and seeing the edits have helped me as well. However, my fave is number 1 with your reflection and cropping to remove you even partially detracts from the feel of the shot. OK I am likely the only one to feel this way but, if you haven't noticed, I am rather a reflection nut!- ok-- just a nut! :D

I've really enjoyed seeing your work before here on POTN and look forward to more.

~wu

wu_wei0
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 15:38

I imagine you truly do. ;) Only thing better than golden smiles from a man is knowing you're the one who caused them. :) I'd say your wife is probably a very lucky lady.

~wu

Lord_Malone
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 16:51
Actually, it's the other way around, Wu. I'm a lucky guy. She's awesome. I'm an @sshole.

wu_wei0
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 17:03
Actually, it's the other way around, Wu. I'm a lucky guy. She's awesome. I'm an @sshole.

I'm of the notion that if you truly were and @$$hole, you would not be such a lucky guy to have the awesome woman hang around.
Perhaps best to say both of you are lucky and the universe is smiling on you. ;)

~wu

Lord_Malone
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 17:09
I'm of the notion that if you truly were and @$$hole, you would not be such a lucky guy to have the awesome woman hang around.
Perhaps best to say both of you are lucky and the universe is smiling on you. ;)

~wu

You're killing me with too much kindness, Wu. I'm buying you a beer. ;)

wu_wei0
6th of June 2006 (Tue), 17:19
You're killing me with too much kindness, Wu. I'm buying you a beer. ;)

I'll hold you to that one! coming to kansas soon? :lol:

~wu

Lord_Malone
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 13:27
I'll hold you to that one! coming to kansas soon? :lol:

~wu

Ha! Are you kidding? The last time I drove through Kansas on I-70 East, I found myself in the middle of the worse lightning sh!t storm I've ever experienced. I thought for sure I'd wake up in OZ. Kansas weather is "scurry" :(

Update: Due to all of your very kind remarks, my wife has agreed to model for me full-time. Not like she had a choice anyway. ;)

wu_wei0
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 13:34
Ha! Are you kidding? The last time I drove through Kansas on I-70 East, I found myself in the middle of the worse lightning sh!t storm I've ever experienced. I thought for sure I'd wake up in OZ. Kansas weather is "scurry" :(

Update: Due to all of your very kind remarks, my wife has agreed to model for me full-time. Not like she had a choice anyway. ;)

Kansas is tame compared to Oklahoma, and at least in KS you do get to go to Oz!:)
Congrats on your full time model! Look forward to seeing more of your work.
But, I still want that beer!

~wu

Reeforbust
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 14:41
voila!

http://www.jasonhollister.com/images/lord_wife3.jpg

This one looks good!!!!
And as everyone elses said.....She's got a great look......Me likey!!;)

davidfig
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 14:41
Um... These aren't my real teeth. :|

I have been rolling on the ground. I like the old avatar better. My opinion.

Oh, nice build in model. More pictures without her elbows do high. Get her a modeling book for posing ideas. She gorgeous and you are a lucky man. Remember that....

lmvereen
9th of June 2006 (Fri), 18:09
hey...i see you! 1st pic. :D

RoxxyG
14th of June 2006 (Wed), 02:34
Lovely photo's the edits bring out more of her beautiful face and her very obvious happy warm personality. You are fortunate to have the chance to photograph such a naturally lovely model.

jbkalla
14th of June 2006 (Wed), 18:50
She makes me smile just looking at the pictures! :-)

Lord_Malone
15th of June 2006 (Thu), 01:22
She makes me smile just looking at the pictures! :-)

It was that exact smile that ultimately won me over and forced me to surrender to the institution of life long commitment. ;)

CorruptedPhotographer
9th of August 2006 (Wed), 05:39
She is a pretty lady. Good job :D

MDJAK
2nd of April 2007 (Mon), 08:32
Your wife is hot, Malone. And if she's nutty as you say, it's got to be from putting up with the likes of you. :)
me

Lord_Malone
4th of April 2007 (Wed), 10:59
Your wife is hot, Malone. And if she's nutty as you say, it's got to be from putting up with the likes of you. :)
me

I'll try to get more pics of her up when I have time. It's nice to have a home grown "model" to practice on. ;)

wesuggs
4th of April 2007 (Wed), 18:18
my take on you wife's photo

jej826
4th of April 2007 (Wed), 20:30
Nice shots.You have a beautiful wife with a fantastic smile!