PDA

View Full Version : tripods or monopods?

DoctorMoth
16th of January 2002 (Wed), 11:09
Does anyone have a favorite type, brand, size, etc. of tripod for their D-30, that they have found to be particularly useful? Has anyone used a monopod to any positive degree? I plan on doing more nature photography this spring and summer and will be in some hilly terrain, any good choices for a tripod or monopod that will be less bothersome on a hike? Thanks, and looking forward to your experience in this subject.

dodkin
16th of January 2002 (Wed), 13:46
Dr,

I have found the Manfrotto CarbonOne monopod to be excellent with the D30 and 300 F2.8L or 70-200 F2.8L.

It is very very light, very rigid, and is nice and tall with plenty of adjustment.

Perfect in fact.

Chris.

doctormoth wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite type, brand, size, etc. of tripod for their D-30, that they have found to be particularly useful? Has anyone used a monopod to any positive degree? I plan on doing more nature photography this spring and summer and will be in some hilly terrain, any good choices for a tripod or monopod that will be less bothersome on a hike? Thanks, and looking forward to your experience in this subject.

Cecil Walker
16th of January 2002 (Wed), 14:09
Doc,

I own both and use them both for different reasons/occasions.

I use the tripod when I want the most stability possible. Landscapes/Scenics, very slow shutter speeds, sunrise/sunsets, etc. I also use it on portraits and still life shots where you don't want the camera position to change.

I use the monopod when I need mobility with a degree of stability. For example, walking around a zoo is so much easier with a monopod than a tripod, and safer too because people can trip over the legs either injuring themselves or your camera! I also use a monopod whenever there's action involved, like motorsports, where I need to move quickly and can't spend time setting up a tripod.

Both my tripod and monopod are Bogen/Manfrotto. The tripod is a 3021BN with a 3030 3-way pan head and the monopod is a 3216 with a 3229 tilt head.

Cecil

toerne
22nd of January 2002 (Tue), 08:17
Hi,

I have both a monopod and a tripod. I use the monopod for nature photography in zoos and wildlife parks and the tripod for any kind of wildlife photography, macro, portraits, and landscapes.

In my opinion, the monopod will only be ok for zoos and wildlife parks. I tend to prefer the tripod because it's a lot more versatile, and it will allow you to place a camera at a nest/den/whatever and move 30 away with an infrared release.

I have done some hiking and carried around my tripod (Benbo Mk1) with me all the time. 6kg are sort of heavy, but after just a few days of trainig it was just fine.

Oh, the Monopod is a Manfrotto steel, forgot the model.

Chris

boBquincy
22nd of January 2002 (Tue), 12:15
My favorite monopod is homemade from aluminum tent poles.
Five cut sections of tent poles laced together with shock cord and a 1/4-20 nylon bolt in the top make
a very light (3.5 ounces), collapsible monopod. The monopod folds into a 12" x 3/4" diameter package
and fits into a pouch made from nylon webbing. Total cost, about $15.

It's not perfect but it is much better than the heavy tripod and monopod I didn't carry with me.

If there is interest I will post an article and photos on my website.

boB