PDA

View Full Version : Tv vs. Av mode

KevinG3
7th of June 2006 (Wed), 20:56
Hello-

I was just wondering if there is any general rule of thumb on when to use tv or av modes on my camera? I understand the 1/focal length rule and depth of field, but is there any rules or guidelines for when to use which one? And how does ISO settings affect this?

I have played around with it and i continue to do so - Also plan to get a good book on digital photgraphy if I can find one- but any advice is appreciated. I am going on a trip soon and will be doing mostly landscape and wildlife photography and can use any hints/advice i can get before the trip.

Thanks.

Livinthalife
7th of June 2006 (Wed), 21:04
Well I personally use the M, Ilike having FULL control over the photo, when I chimp, and the pic looks a little too bright or too dark, I can easlily change the shutter speed without changing the apereture.

Av vs Tv ...No answer, it depends on you and the situation you are shooting at. If you are shooting sports perhaps Tv is better, but if shooting nature or a wedding maybe Av. As I said it all depends on what suits you. It`s like asking whats better a Formula 1 race car or a Monster truck, you understand what I mean :) So go expirement with both and the M mode.

as for ISO, higher ISO will allow you to shoot faster shutter speeds, also alow you to shoot better night shots. But remember higher ISO, means higher noise.

hope this helps! ;)

crn3371
7th of June 2006 (Wed), 21:26
It depends on what kind of effect you are after. I use Av when I want to control DOF, whether it be shallow for a portrait, or deep for landscape, or group shot. Tv when I want a certain speed effect, fast shutter to freeze action, slow shutter to convey motion. Adjust ISO in each case just to get correct exposure. And, sometimes you just can't really control either one as much as you would like, you just have to take what the camera gives you just to get proper exposure without camera shake.

ScottE
7th of June 2006 (Wed), 22:22
I use Av most of the time because I want to control depth of field and the evaluative metering is reasonably reliable in most lighting conditions. I switch to M if lighting is a little tricky and I think evaluative might not get what I want. Occasionally for night exposures I use bulb. I don't know why they put all the other letters and symbols on my camera.

liza
7th of June 2006 (Wed), 23:34
Previously, I used Av most of the time and never used Tv at all. These days, though, I just use M. Once I learned how to do it properly, I never looked back.

Halliday
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 00:09
I use Tv or M. Tv most of the time, I set a shutter speed that should stop any camera shake. M for when the light is not changing onmw, and does not happen too much.

KevinG3
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 08:37
Cool, I'll just have to play around with the different modes and see what works for me. Im still learning so it may take some time. There is always P mode if I get too confused. :D

Thanks again for all the replies.

ssim
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 12:01
It is really a matter of personal preference and each situation can dictate a different approach and solution.

I personally shoot in AV about 95% of the time. I have tried the route of using M but at the end of the day it doesn't change the end result over using one of the metered modes. Say you are shooting in AV and the meter tells you that it will shoot at 1/500 at f8, you set your camera manually to the same levels, are you any further ahead. I have tried the handheld light meter and it normally gives readings that are very close to the same. I still use manual mode on ocasion but we invested in these electronic wonders and I will use the capabilities it offers.

When I have had the opportunity to shoot a car race or something similar moving very fast, I will work in TV as I know what shutter speed I require to stop the subject.

BillMarks
8th of June 2006 (Thu), 17:01
I view P-mode as M with a first guess. I prefer this mode to M because if I need to take a shot quickly, I at least get 1 or 2 shots that will be correctly exposed or at least close to correct. Even if I have time and/or just want to adjust the settings, P lets you do that. The top wheel of my 10D adjusts speed and aperture; the back wheel dials in exposure compensation.